P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

Morning all.  Still cold 🥶 I’ve had more than enough but, at this time of year, I suspect that almost every potential change will still bring complaints - too much rain, too muddy, dull, etc.  It’ll soon be March & then we really talk of spring.  
By the way - if we changed the clocks “symmetrically “, either side of the shortest day, we’d be doing it this weekend!  Evenings with light in the sky till about a quarter to seven (round these parts anyway).  Imagine what a lift that would give us.  I’ll never understand why the powers that be decided they’d leave us in the dark’ till the last weekend in March.

And one more thought - I think I read that the EU is not going to stop changing clocks sometime soon.  Wonder what we’ll do?

I have also always wondered why they don’t give us the limited daylight in the winter later in the day when people are up and about. The arguments used to be about giving the light to farmers for crops but now they modern machinery and flood lights that less of a necessity.

There has been a lobby  the U.K. for a while to stop the clock changes and various arguments for and against re child safety going to school etc. Perhaps the EU move will resurrect  to the debate.

In the mid winter we get very limited daylight hours anyway and my vote would be to have them in the afternoon. As you say light until later come February and March would be very welcome.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, wowzz said:

I'm sure you deserve your break. 

But, given the number of children that I see out and about, not in school, what are their teachers doing?

Ah, thanks for your concern, but no need, they are all being kept very busy. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, ann141 said:

I think the teachers are doing  even more than they usually do as they are having to set work for those children who are homeschooled in addition to teaching the children who are at school (often a third of the usual class).My grandsons teacher is also keeping in touch with the parents so really busy.They are doing a fantastic and difficult job

More like 50% to be honest. You really do have 2 schools - one in the building and a virtual one. Have to say parents and grandparents have been doing a brilliant job supporting everything.

It really doesn't feel like a lockdown at all this time. Not sure what others think. The roads are as busy and if it wasn't for the fact that at weekends we can only walk to the local park and stay in. This time last year we were off on a snow holiday --- missing it this year. 😞 (No snow here either)

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Wowzz, what IS your gripe with teachers and the teaching unions?  Teaching is much like any other profession - good ones and not so good.  The good get on, the bad lose their jobs - yes, really.

Unions are there to protect members.  What's the problem with that?  Doctors have a union, solicitors have a union.  Most Amazon and Sports Direct workers don't - and look what goes on there.  Look what goes on in so many union-free clothing factories.

Teachers do a great job in very difficult circumstances.  Most of us don't have the skills to do it, but constantly knocking the people who educate our children is pointless. 

What I find the saddest is not the teacher bashing, but the fact that a heart felt comment I made about people in our school community who had lost loved ones during the past half term was turned by one member in to a debate about the teaching profession yet again. Just ignore folks, it really is not worth the time or effort.

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 16

9 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

More like 50% to be honest. You really do have 2 schools - one in the building and a virtual one. Have to say parents and grandparents have been doing a brilliant job supporting everything.

It really doesn't feel like a lockdown at all this time. Not sure what others think. The roads are as busy and if it wasn't for the fact that at weekends we can only walk to the local park and stay in. This time last year we were off on a snow holiday --- missing it this year. 😞 (No snow here either)

Don’t you mean 150%?

2 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Don’t you mean 150%?

No someone said that we had a third of pupils in. It is more like 50%. In the original lockdown in the Spring it was just a fraction of that, more like about 8%.

Edited by Presto2

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Good morning , nope no side effects from yesterdays jab . I'm glad I had the jab 
now I have more chance of avoiding  the more nasty side effects that covid could 
give me. Apparently one of the side effects of coronavirus is no taste...
Getting really worried about our next door neighbour as he keeps
playing his Vengaboys record collection . :classic_unsure:

This morning around here is -4.c with a -13.c chill ,it's a wrap up well day .

Not that I'm going anywhere but if you are Keep safe and have a good day .:classic_smile:

Good morning kalos. I'm glad you've no side effects,  and long may it continue. Cold here too today again,  -1 with a chill factor of -8 and windy. Looking at the BBC weather app though, better things are on the horizon. As you so proved with your picture, Spring really is around the corner.

Avril

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DamianG said:

My wife got a call yesterday to present herself at Nightingale Hospital in Harrogate at 8:30am today for a scan so all three of us were out at 7:30am for a 2 hour round trip in the cold (the car thermometer said -3C). As soon as I got home it was straight back out to another hospital to deliver papers for my dad who's been admitted again. I'm now happily back home with a very large cup of coffee but if anyone wants taxi-ing or deliveries to hospitals I'm your man.

I hope your dad's alright Damian. 

Avril

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Glad you had you jab Kalos and feeling good , hope everyone is feeling good and happy today on yet another chilly day , I’m just about catching up on here , been going to bed very late for us around midnight as we have been watching cnn news the trump impeachment trial since Wednesday, should be finishing today , we have not had a invite yet for our jabs we’re a bit too young 😂 but I’m sure it will not be too long before they start the 60 years up wards 

Have a good relaxing warm day everyone 😍

When we were getting out of the car our neighbour told David that her 64 year old brother is having his next week so they are moving around here so hopefully more areas will be doing the same.    🙏

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

What I find the saddest is not the teacher bashing, but the fact that a heart felt comment I made about people in our school community who had lost loved ones during the past half term was turned by one member in to a debate about the teaching profession yet again. Just ignore folks, it really is not worth the time or effort.

Diplomacy is not everyone's forte Presto😉. There are many on here who understand the meaning behind your post

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Diplomacy is not some everyone's forte Presto😉. There are many on here who understand the meaning behind your post

Avril

That's a very nice way to put it. I call it mischief making 😉😉😉 

• Like 11

56 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

It's not felt like lockdown to us since Christmas, roads are busy, shops are busy etc. I only go out shopping or taking deliveries for mum and dad and have been doing that for most of the last 12 months. Yesterday I drove 4 miles or so to go to the Post Office and call in a Co-op store for the Valentine's meal deal. I've not been to that particular suburb in months and was truly shocked to see people stood around chatting with coffees in hand and all the benches on the High Street occupied with folk having coffees and sandwiches etc. I've also seen people hugging then going their separate ways which these days just looks so unusual.

Still, as me and my friends keep telling each other, control the controllables, look after yourself and those close to you as best you can. Whatever all these other people are thinking or doing you can't do anything about it so just steer clear of them.

• Like 10

54 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

You deserve a break.

I think the teachers do a marvelous job.

The loss of life is heartbreaking.

Take care Presto.

Graham.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DamianG said:

It's not felt like lockdown to us since Christmas, roads are busy, shops are busy etc. I only go out shopping or taking deliveries for mum and dad and have been doing that for most of the last 12 months. Yesterday I drove 4 miles or so to go to the Post Office and call in a Co-op store for the Valentine's meal deal. I've not been to that particular suburb in months and was truly shocked to see people stood around chatting with coffees in hand and all the benches on the High Street occupied with folk having coffees and sandwiches etc. I've also seen people hugging then going their separate ways which these days just looks so unusual.

Still, as me and my friends keep telling each other, control the controllables, look after yourself and those close to you as best you can. Whatever all these other people are thinking or doing you can't do anything about it so just steer clear of them.

Let's look forward to sharing a cocktail or two on N222 😉

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

You deserve a break.

I think the teachers do a marvelous job.

The loss of life is heartbreaking.

Take care Presto.

Graham.

A socially distanced hug for this and the other lovely comments above too from other CC buddies 🙂

Off to look at ski holidays for 2023 - the ones for 2022 are sky high and we are not sure if we want to think about flying even then. We can search and dream 🙂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

A socially distanced hug for this and the other lovely comments above too from other CC buddies 🙂

Off to look at ski holidays for 2023 - the ones for 2022 are sky high and we are not sure if we want to think about flying even then. We can search and dream 🙂

Sit back with a drink and wish you were here :classic_smile::classic_love:

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Socially distanced hug back.

Enjoy your cruise holiday search.

Hopefully you find one at a great price.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I was just typing out something similar. The teachers I know are now having to prepare both types of lessons, as you say.

There are children out and about but surely it is the parents responsibility to ensure that those not attending school in person use the remote learning provided.

Yep my daughter teaches, has been providing lessons for those who are in school and for those working at home, more difficult for her as she teaches special needs across a number of age groups. 

She and her colleagues have worked through all 3 lockdowns, as well as out of term. They have adapted quickly given the little notice the Government has given on schools opening or closing. She is now having a well earned break for half term with her 2 daughters. 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Sit back with a drink and wish you were here :classic_smile::classic_love:

We are now sobbing hysterically and stroking the screen ! We usually go to Yllas / Akaslompolo but have been to Levi 2 / 3 times. Just love that beautiful part of the world.

Have not done very well finding snow holidays and have drifted off to look at Italy. Started in Venice and now in Riva del Garda dreaming of sunnier days. It is just great to research and look at hotels etc etc. We won't be going in the next few years,  but it has reminded of some of the amazing times we have had there and that we really do need to go back one day.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We are now sobbing hysterically and stroking the screen ! We usually go to Yllas / Akaslompolo but have been to Levi 2 / 3 times. Just love that beautiful part of the world.

Have not done very well finding snow holidays and have drifted off to look at Italy. Started in Venice and now in Riva del Garda dreaming of sunnier days. It is just great to research and look at hotels etc etc. We won't be going in the next few years,  but it has reminded of some of the amazing times we have had there and that we really do need to go back one day.

Sorry you didn't see a ski holiday.

My favourite pastime is holidays and I also miss looking for new places as well as our regular favourites.

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Sorry you didn't see a ski holiday.

My favourite pastime is holidays and I also miss looking for new places as well as our regular favourites.

We know when we want to go and are waiting to see what Inghams are doing for 2023. Yes, I know it is a long way in the future, but still nice to plan. Have to say, I really rate Inghams for holidays - have never had anything other than excellent service, brilliant accommodation and keen reps.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We know when we want to go and are waiting to see what Inghams are doing for 2023. Yes, I know it is a long way in the future, but still nice to plan. Have to say, I really rate Inghams for holidays - have never had anything other than excellent service, brilliant accommodation and keen reps.

I have never skied.

Pauline went to Italy on a ski holiday with her school when she was 14 years old.

Hopefully Ingham's 2023 has exactly what you want.

Never used them before but thanks for the recommendation I will check their holidays out.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27

Just been outside to top up bird feeders as over last 2 days they have eaten though the seeds in 2 feeders, half the peanuts and the fat balls are shrinking in size. 

It is that cold outside I found 3 brass monkeys sheltering in the garage at a balmy 0.8C

The outdoor thermometer shows -3C the app on phone shows wind chill of -12C abandoned all thoughts of going for a walk around lake. 🥶🥶🥶🥶

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Just been outside to top up bird feeders as over last 2 days they have eaten though the seeds in 2 feeders, half the peanuts and the fat balls are shrinking in size. 

It is that cold outside I found 3 brass monkeys sheltering in the garage at a balmy 0.8C

The outdoor thermometer shows -3C the app on phone shows wind chill of -12C abandoned all thoughts of going for a walk around lake. 🥶🥶🥶🥶

It is - 3 here but wind chill makes it feel lower.We went for a walk to the lake nearby and most of it is still frozen with the ducks sheltering at one end It was nice to get some fresh air (and better on the walk home as the wind was behind us)but still glad to get back home!

• Like 2