What do we think of June?

7 hours ago, CarolinaNewbie said:

So, consensus is that there will be no June sailings. I'm booked on a June 28th sailing and my balance for my family is due next week. I'm trying to decide whether to pay the $5,000+ balance and take the FCC and lose my deposit/travel ins or pay it.

One of the things I'm wondering about is the availability of cruises in 2021. Will everyone with FCC be scrambling to use these credits. Will people be scared to cruise and therefore inventory will be plentiful? 

While on Celebrity, not RC... just something you might consider.  Because of final payment coming up in a couple of months, we moved our Norwegian Fjords cruise from 8/20 to 5/21.  Moved up to next higher category of cabin and kept our onboard credit from booking onboard.  Deposit transferred over, so no money out of pocket.  Since we booked onboard a long time ago, we only paid $100 pp deposit.  Even if next May gets cancelled, we would still be out nothing.

Fairly sure that August won't be a possibility, but not sure we even wanted to chance it.  All of our prepaid private excursions have happily given us a refund or gift certificate to use on next year's cruise without a price increase.

Best wishes deciding what to do... not easy for any of us!

• Thanks 1

I am not doing any knee jerk reactions. We sail on 08/02. I am extremely hopeful it goes, but not upset if it doesn't. If it doesn't, we are stuck with the school breaks to get our next one in. It will be tough because we did not have the best of vacations last year because I lost my job. This was suppose to make up for it, be a grand 50th b-day, and give my family what they deserve. If it doesn't, we can hope for Thanksgiving, XMas, or Spring Break.

13 hours ago, Bradison said:

Tell me how many countries of over 300 million people are as advanced as the United States?  Our system is not perfect but it is way ahead of both Russia, China, and India.  To compare the US to South Korea, Singapore, or even Canada is not relevant due to scale as well as culture.

If you must know... click any link... there are many, I did not personally write each of them:

https://www.google.com/search?q=top+medical+coutnries&rlz=1C1SQJL_enCA881CA881&oq=top+medical+coutnries&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.3104j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

WHO's (I don't work for them) rankings of the world's best health systems:

https://www.internationalinsurance.com/health/systems/

Canada #30

USA #37

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Judyrem said:

Here in GA, we have 600 "reported" cases", with only 23 deaths.  Imagine how many were mild and not reported.

On Sat, there were 555 reported by Sunday ,600, that is very small increase.  This is somewhat encouraging to me.🤔

14 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I believe, the more people tested, the death rate percentage will fall. So many that have the symptoms or might be positive with no effects, are not being tested. 

Both of these thoughts I have not fully considered, so thank you for adding this.

I agree... If we had millions of tests, I agree the mortality rate may likely be way down.

South Korea got it right... test as many as possible... even those not sick but tested positive, quarantine them so they can't infect anyone else. Their speed at which they acted was critical. Anyone not affected still able to work and at least keep the economy going without being infected by those in quarantine.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

If you must know... click any link... there are many, I did not personally write each of them:

https://www.google.com/search?q=top+medical+coutnries&rlz=1C1SQJL_enCA881CA881&oq=top+medical+coutnries&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.3104j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

WHO's (I don't work for them) rankings of the world's best health systems:

https://www.internationalinsurance.com/health/systems/

Canada #30

USA #37

You win.  Feel better now.

However, I know enough to understand that there is no way I would take the Canadian health care system over what I've got here in good ol' Ohio.  Can't speak for the coasts but fly over country is pretty damn solid.  I notice you left off the Russia and China rankings.

Royal is flying thousands of crew home. It will take a month just to get them all back again and that can only happen once the virus has settled not only where the cruises leave from but where they sail to. (remember these are all contractors so there's recruitment/offers, contracts, visas, travel arrangements, etc - all for  probably over 10,000 crew) 

Even September is probably optimistic. It will be a slow ramp up. I would expect the entire cruise schedule will be tossed out and it'll start one ship at a time doing "sampler" cruises to nowhere to ramp up operations. 

Edited by chrisb74
  • Like 1

Lol I booked next January and I'm worried it's too optimistic. I'll turn 70 by then and might have to contend with a doctors note.

Its doubtful there will be a vaccine but one can hope for miracles. I have my fingers crossed I can cruise then.

So much uncertainty out there, it's so hard to predict.

I wouldn't cruise for the remainder of the year. The incompetent US government has made it clear that profits are more important than lives, so even when restrictions are lifted, you'll have to decide for yourself whether or not it's "safe" to go.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bradison said:

However, I know enough to understand that there is no way I would take the Canadian health care system over what I've got here in good ol' Ohio.  Can't speak for the coasts but fly over country is pretty damn solid.  I notice you left off the Russia and China rankings.

I think he spoke for a Canada, because he is Canadian.  

As for who is better, we will find out in 3-8 months.

Edited by A&L_Ont

Royal cancelled worldwide until May 11th now.  There goes our Alaskan cruise as Canadian ports closed until end of June.    125% FCC automatically applied as per email received.

Good luck to you all, especially those in USA as, in my opinion, Trump has his head in the sand with this !  

No way are you going to be “open” at Easter but I don’t remember him saying what year so that’s maybe his get out of jail free card !

Stay safe.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 10:27 PM, Hoopster95 said:

Both of these thoughts I have not fully considered, so thank you for adding this.

I agree... If we had millions of tests, I agree the mortality rate may likely be way down.

South Korea got it right... test as many as possible... even those not sick but tested positive, quarantine them so they can't infect anyone else. Their speed at which they acted was critical. Anyone not affected still able to work and at least keep the economy going without being infected by those in quarantine.

This first world country really got off to a slow start. A month ago my son and his girlfriend were sick with and couldn't get tested. It's better now in New York state because we are processing the tests in the state. What's happening in the rest of the country? They are saying Florida and Texas will be next to report large outbreaks.

Edited by Iamcruzin