What do we think of June?

4 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I was feeling a bit more optimistic a few days ago and booked 4 nights on the Mariner on June 15.  I calculated that a 30-day extension plus another 30-day extension would end around June 9.  I don’t mind having a relatively small amount of money held as a FCC, and I figured that Coco Cay isn’t going to turn the ship away.  If Nassau does, two days at Coco Cay would suit us just fine.  It is important to us to have something to look forward to, and we both felt better after booking.  Now, though, just a few days later, I am not as optimistic.  Not to the point of canceling, though, we are keeping this booking.

FYI:  There won't be any ships sailing in June.

• Like 1

I am known to be a very positive optimistic person but looking at the facts the first patient with corona virus was november 17th then 200 or 300 by dec 20th then it really took off in january during their news years celebrations.   This past week they went 3 days with no new viruses but today reported 46 new cases so all in they are currently 120+ /- days into this virus.   US had first case in february. Sorry not sure of date but that puts us in early stages.

Now the best news is they are finding various medication combos that seem to be very helpful but still doing case studies in various countries as well as the vaccine case trials started last Monday in Washington State.  

With all the great scientist out there I am confident we will have a cure soon.

4 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Wow I too am wondering as I am on the week after you.

I mean so much has accelerated in just 10 days when President closed Europe travel.

Just curious, no disrespect... I see you post on CC often.

Why are you seemingly so surprised? There has been an unbelievable amount of in your face evidence from all around the world of how this may go.

Look at any China, Italy, South Korea, Spain chart/graph timeline regarding first cases and how far they have gotten today... they all superimpose on top of each other. We are at the acceleration edge of the same timeline.... I posted a week ago that we were on the leading edge, now accelerating upward as tests are done and more people test positive/pass away. By the way, has China, S Korea, Italy Spain all gone back to normal already? They are months away from ending this. Why will we end this in mere weeks?

June? ZERO chance in my humble opinion.

Unfortunately I suspect no one will be cruising for a long time (guess?... 6-9 months winter?.... Jan 1, 2021 maybe if the planets align?... I pray for a vaccine that negates the current assumed timeline)

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 3

Wow, I am floored by the utter pessimism here.  You all act like CV has to be eradicated before life goes on.  

Understand this:  There will always be some threat to life for every person.  There is no force field protecting me or you from the world.  What we do have is a health care system that can deal with threats like they do every year with the flu and other viral infections.  The threat of overwhelming that system is real and the current strategy is in place to deal with that threat.  Once we have "flattened the curve" then you will see relaxation of the restrictions.  If you think it will take multiple months to get to that point then I respectfully disagree.

You can point to superimposed graphs all you want but you cannot compare any country to the United States due to our size and advanced medical systems as well as our population makeup.  We are unique in both good and bad ways as it relates to the situation.

For folks with conditions putting them at significant risk, then their cruising days may be over until vaccines or advanced treatment techniques are in place.  For the rest of us, we will be exposed and develop our herd immunity and begin interacting in public again.  I doubt that takes more than a month or two.

• Like 6

I am not an expert, not even a novice, but if this cruise stoppage last until Sept/Oct as some have said, I personally don't think we will have anymore cruise ships.  I just do not think they can survive, I see them getting back to work in a month or two tops, adding many new screenings before boarding and  a new part to the cruise waiver including COVID and begin to sail. All my opinion of course.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Waycoolrob said:

I am not an expert, not even a novice, but if this cruise stoppage last until Sept/Oct as some have said, I personally don't think we will have anymore cruise ships.  I just do not think they can survive, I see them getting back to work in a month or two tops, adding many new screenings before boarding and  a new part to the cruise waiver including COVID and begin to sail. All my opinion of course.  

Not sure how they can do that. Where will they go if the ports are closed? We are on a cruise out of Montreal in June. Canada has closed their ports until July 1. Doesn't look like it could happen. We're just waiting for RC to cancel it, but that probably won't happen anytime soon either. What a mess.

• Like 2

Just now, Athelstan said:

Not sure how they can do that. Where will they go if the ports are closed? We are on a cruise out of Montreal in June. Canada has closed their ports until July 1. Doesn't look like it could happen. We're just waiting for RC to cancel it, but that probably won't happen anytime soon either. What a mess.

You bring up a point I did not think of, however most of these places that cruise ships port are very reliant on cruise ship dollars port fees, tourist dollars etc. etc. I think eventually the people will want them back, lively hoods at stake and many will decide to risk it on a cruise ship passengers who has been screened before getting on the ship and who have not had any symptoms on the ship. Of course some ports will hold out longer than others but I just don't see it lasting many, many months as some are predicting. Eventually people will want to protect their family by being able to provide for them. Again all my opinion. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Waycoolrob said:

You bring up a point I did not think of, however most of these places that cruise ships port are very reliant on cruise ship dollars port fees, tourist dollars etc. etc. I think eventually the people will want them back, lively hoods at stake and many will decide to risk it on a cruise ship passengers who has been screened before getting on the ship and who have not had any symptoms on the ship. Of course some ports will hold out longer than others but I just don't see it lasting many, many months as some are predicting. Eventually people will want to protect their family by being able to provide for them. Again all my opinion. 

You certainly make good points. There are definitely tough decisions that are going to be required in the next few months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bradison said:

Wow, I am floored by the utter pessimism here.  You all act like CV has to be eradicated before life goes on.  

Understand this:  There will always be some threat to life for every person.  There is no force field protecting me or you from the world.  What we do have is a health care system that can deal with threats like they do every year with the flu and other viral infections.  The threat of overwhelming that system is real and the current strategy is in place to deal with that threat.  Once we have "flattened the curve" then you will see relaxation of the restrictions.  If you think it will take multiple months to get to that point then I respectfully disagree.

You can point to superimposed graphs all you want but you cannot compare any country to the United States due to our size and advanced medical systems as well as our population makeup.  We are unique in both good and bad ways as it relates to the situation.

For folks with conditions putting them at significant risk, then their cruising days may be over until vaccines or advanced treatment techniques are in place.  For the rest of us, we will be exposed and develop our herd immunity and begin interacting in public again.  I doubt that takes more than a month or two.

Your focus is on the virus it's self.  It's more than just that now. You have to factor in the economic impact that this is having all over the world. New York is on lockdown and the unemployment site can't even handle all of the traffic that it crashed. In the end the economy is going to set the tone as to what happens. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, bouhunter said:

FYI:  There won't be any ships sailing in June.

Look at it this way. If people are willing to book a cruise good for them. As long as they do so the cruise line will have a cash flow and the rest of the passengers who are waiting for a cash refund will have a better chance of receiving it. The reason the states need to lock everything down is because people are still in denial and conducting their lives as usual.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bradison said:

I doubt that takes more than a month or two.

I sure hope that the advanced medical system had a chance to kick in, and quickly. At the current situation it seems to be the medical system is fighting the powers that be, more than accomplishing what they truly want/need to do. 

In under two weeks America has gone from less than a 1,000 cases to over 33,500 today.  There have been over 9,300 cases in the last 24 hours.  Only 178 have recovered.  I can only hope it’s just a month or two of medical battles.  However as every state is increasing in numbers, the government needs to amplify the medical system be as laser accurate, and as power as a rocket just to keep up.  From what I see there is great room for improvement.  

The pressure on the health care system alone is astounding, and we are only beginning to see the financial hit.  The curve or plank might happen in a month or two but the economy could take years to recover. It seems to be the perfect storm. 

61AC4AF4-D3C2-4BBE-A6B1-D9DDA2A497E9.thumb.jpeg.610d2f6445a790674a7d03976e70fa07.jpeg

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Just curious, no disrespect... I see you post on CC often.

Why are you seemingly so surprised? There has been an unbelievable amount of in your face evidence from all around the world of how this may go.

Look at any China, Italy, South Korea, Spain chart/graph timeline regarding first cases and how far they have gotten today... they all superimpose on top of each other. We are at the acceleration edge of the same timeline.... I posted a week ago that we were on the leading edge, now accelerating upward as tests are done and more people test positive/pass away. By the way, has China, S Korea, Italy Spain all gone back to normal already? They are months away from ending this. Why will we end this in mere weeks?

June? ZERO chance in my humble opinion.

Unfortunately I suspect no one will be cruising for a long time (guess?... 6-9 months winter?.... Jan 1, 2021 maybe if the planets align?... I pray for a vaccine that negates the current assumed timeline)

My goodness try to have an opinion will you.

I was replying to another person about the same ship a week ahead of me.

Not too many mention Symphony and so I was just replying.

And yes just 3 weeks ago none of thought the whole world would shut down. The Princess line moved too many crew around and spread the virus. 

So while I can continue to be amazed at all this I DO NOT HAVE MY HEAD IN THE CLOUDS.  So take your humble opinion and make some humble pie. 

8 hours ago, Bradison said:

You can point to superimposed graphs all you want but you cannot compare any country to the United States due to our size and advanced medical systems as well as our population makeup...

we dont even have face masks tho for real 🙄

• Like 2

Here in UK all vulnerable people  i.e.  long term conditions,  the over 70’s, pregnant women etc have been requested to stay at home for 12 weeks.  All non essential travel to cease, restaurants, clubs and bars have been ordered to close indefinitely, further measures will undoubtedly be brought in with emergency legislation imminent.

Worldwide over 300,000 cases and 13,000 deaths, both figures rising by the minute.

I don’t want to scare you but these are all true facts (check for yourself if you want).

This is not just a “flu” and will not go away in a few weeks, this is a long term problem that has the potential to change the world we live in.

Please listen to the advise you are being told, it may seem stupid or irrelevant to you but ultimately it may save your life or that of a loved one.

Stay safe.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Wow, really what an odd comment.

I think it's because of how far down the league table for international healthcare the USA is, and how many countries with far better healthcare systems are unable to cope with this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shorehaven said:

Here in UK all vulnerable people  i.e.  long term conditions,  the over 70’s, pregnant women etc have been requested to stay at home for 12 weeks.  All non essential travel to cease, restaurants, clubs and bars have been ordered to close indefinitely, further measures will undoubtedly be brought in with emergency legislation imminent.

But why are we one of the few countries left that has no border restrictions? We are still fully open to enter the UK. Most countries have either restrictions to their nationals only, so they can return home, compulsory isolation for 14 days after returning or complete closure of borders. We have nothing, no testing, nothing. I am sure it will change and soon, but too little  too late in my opinion. And why this weekend, after recommendations that people practice social distancing, were the parks and public gardens, beaches etc crowded with people. 

Edited by sgmn

Sgmn - I have to agree 100% with you and I don’t understand the reasoning. Unfortunately regarding social distances it is the same problem the world over, the it doesn’t apply to me syndrome!  You only had to watch the evening news on tv last night to heard some of the stupid statements folk were making to try and justify their actions.

Costa Coffee just joined MacDonalds, Nando’s, John Lewis and Primark in announcing they are shutting up shop meantime.  I guess it is just a matter of time before all non essential shops and businesses will be forced to close by the authorities.

The whole focus on infection numbers misses the point.  This whole battle right now is about hospitalizations vs system capacity.  The % of people with the virus that require hospitalization is low so right now most areas are winning the battle (NYC is one exception that is struggling). 

All deaths are tragic but death is also a part of life.  Just yesterday a local LEO was killed in a car accident.  That was just as tragic.  We have to stop letting our feelings run away from us and start thinking this through.  Don't let the media do your thinking for you.