Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

Hope the house move went well @Colin_Cameron and everyone else is OK ?

It's been windy as expected, 90mph measured on the top of the blast furnaces. Fortunately our office is pretty solidly built but there was some damage around site.

My journey home took almost an extra hour as the motorway was shut after 2 HGVs were blown over.

The wind has eased quite a lot for now.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, techteach said:

@Lanky Lad, @Host Hattie, and all of the rest of you braving the gusty weather, I’m sending you warm thoughts. I hope the power stays on and you can stay safe and warm with a good book and a warm beverage.

Thanks, yes we're fine, there have been some power cuts but we have escaped so far.

• Like 1

We have been fortunate in West Berkshire - at least on our own little patch. Apart from a few pots blown over and some flattened crocuses, our house and garden seem to have escaped unscathed. Yesterday’s winds were definitely the highest we’ve experienced in the 10 years we have been living here. We did have one comical moment when I went into our garage to find a gust had found its way through the main door and thrown a massive stack of empty boxes being kept “just in case” all around the floor, blocking off one end. 

We postponed our Waitrose trip yesterday so I will be doing that this morning whilst my other half waits in for a new laptop to be delivered - that will be another empty box for the stack then! 

It's good to hear you all seem to have avoided the worst as did we. We've certainly had worse in the past.

Cornwall and London seem to have been hit the hardest in England and The Needles on the Isle of Wight recorded winds of 122mph!

On 1/28/2022 at 6:18 PM, Host Hattie said:

How are you doing @rakkor ? Are you going to be able to go on Jane's birthday cruise ?

We've had more restrictions lifted here today, we still have to wear masks in public places but nightclubs can open again. I don't think that particular change will make much difference to us !

Hi Hattie,

Apologies for not getting back to you earlier, things have been difficult unfortunately. I'm now back home after eventually being discharged from Kings College Hospital, but I've been stuck upstairs confined to bed as I'm non-weight bearing on my hip and being upstairs, I've not had access to my PC. We missed out on Jane's birthday cruise as I was still confined to bed until the Tuesday after the cruise started. The good news is we managed to transfer the booking to the Northern Lights cruise on March 18th unfortunately not a Q4, but a P1. I'm learning to walk again having managed the stairs for the first time today, hence the reply, so it’s fingers crossed that I will be mobile enough for the 18th.

• Like 4

It's nice to hear from you @rakkor, I'm so sorry you didn't make it to full fitness in time for Jane's birthday cruise. I hope the March 18th cruise is a success and you find another Queens Grill booking to suit you.

We had a few short power cuts this morning and I've just got home after a friend's birthday lunch. It's a long time since we've been out together so it was lovely. We had the restaurant to ourselves !

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 5:22 AM, Ray66 said:

It's good to hear you all seem to have avoided the worst as did we. We've certainly had worse in the past.

Cornwall and London seem to have been hit the hardest in England and The Needles on the Isle of Wight recorded winds of 122mph!

Saturday seems to have been a strange day in a lot of places - here in CT we had an amazing snow squall lasting just half an hour: 50 - 60 mph winds driving extremely heavy snow - almost two inches in that 30 minutes - with zero visibility while it was dumping down.  Largely melted now with the 50F outside today.

The weather is definitely indecisive as we are traveling around these last two weeks for work in Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, and Alabama.

I saw snow in Virginia last Monday… and today I’m sitting by the water in northern Alabama without a coat.

February just can’t decide what it wants to be like.

9026B786-B1CA-49DE-BB09-10B960D67068.jpeg

• Like 1

We just got home from a fabulous cruise, our first in over two years. The Regent Seven Seas Explorer knocks every other ship we have cruised on, out of the water, literally. Fabulous suites, amazing restaurants and wonderful crew. Only 350 passengers and double that number in crew. We are totally spoiled.

• Like 2

This morning I went into my garden and found wonderful purple flower buds on my plum tree. Proof positive for me that we will see spring. Yesterday it was 80f but today not yet to 60, but I will be off to the garden center to pick up potting soil and other supplies. This has been a two year long winter of my discontent, but spring is knocking at the door at last. 

• Like 2

On 2/22/2022 at 5:16 PM, naturelovergirl said:

The weather is definitely indecisive as we are traveling around these last two weeks for work in Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, and Alabama.

I saw snow in Virginia last Monday… and today I’m sitting by the water in northern Alabama without a coat.

February just can’t decide what it wants to be like.

9026B786-B1CA-49DE-BB09-10B960D67068.jpeg

Beautiful colors!

• Like 1

We're back in the Cunard fold. After our foray with Viking Ocean over Christmas, I've taken the plunge and booked a QM2 cruise for August -- the 26-night Grand Norwegian Explorer out of New York. Making up for lost time I suppose choosing that itinerary. Just couldn't wait any longer to try and get back on our favorite ship, QM2.

• Like 5

We have booked a 27 day QE cruise for August, leaving from Ft. Lauderdale and disembarking in Barcelona. Our friends are joining us, their first time on Cunard. We enjoyed our first cruise on Regent so much, that we are also planning another cruise with her next winter. In the meantime, we will be cruising on HAL Nieuw Statendam the end of this month. 
We have missed cruising so much during the last two years, we look forward to every cruise we book, and will go as often as we can.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2022 at 3:07 PM, Bigmike911 said:

It appears that the Solent Ships You Tube channel covering Southampton will be returning soon. "The Captain" who runs it has been given permission by Associated British Ports to resume. 

Those of us who vicariously watched the Queen's comings and goings will be able to once again. Count me pleased.

It's been taking a bit longer than expected, but "Cruise Cam" (usually showing a view toward Ocean Terminal) is now back online on the Solent Ships YouTube channel. Expecting some of the other cameras that used to be on that channel to be back up before too much longer. Expecting the "Cowes Camera" stream currently on the Ahoy Shipmate channel to be moved over to the Solent Ships channel as well.

Congratulations on the new bookings @bluemarble & @LewiLewi

For the moment we're making do with a trip to Pembrokeshire later in the month ! I haven't completely given up hope of cruising this year.

The days are much longer now and we had some lovely sunshine on Saturday. We had a lovely dinner out with one of Mr HH's oldest friends. It was the first time in 4 years so we had lots to catch up on.

• Like 2

With just a week to go, it is looking more and more possible that we might actually be on a cruise this time next week. Part of me is still waiting for a cancellation. Plus there is still the dreaded covid test to pass at the port 😧 We are keeping away from everyone in order to keep covid free as the numbers seem to be rocketing back up again here at the moment.

I hope everyone is keeping well in their parts of the world.

Brilliant cake HH! Looks delicious too. Enjoy!

• Like 1

I had the physio around today, instructing me on using crutches and using a stick ready for next week's cruise. I now have seven days to perfect them and gain a bit more strength. so I can get around onboard.

Like @Camgirlwe are now in isolation, and taking no risks with Covid pre cruise.

• Like 2