Seattle halts all cruise to Alaska Indefinitely.

Ptroxx

Seattle, Washington (KINY) - The Alaska cruise season for 2020 will be delayed indefinitely and will not start until after the COVID-19 outbreak and public health emergency in Washington state has ended.

That announcement, first reported in the Puget Sound Business Journal, came from the Port of Seattle on Tuesday.

The decision came as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released new research findings, revealing that traces of the coronavirus were found on board one cruise ship a full 17 days after all passengers had disembarked.

The decision may deliver an economic blow to small communities in Alaska where the cruise ships call.

A full cruise season generates an economic impact of nearly $900 million statewide and supports 5,500 jobs, the port has previously estimated.

https://www.kinyradio.com/news/news-of-the-north/report-port-of-seattle-suspends-2020-alaska-cruise-season-indefinitely/?fbclid=IwAR1lkSnnegpWxdeVykJ98DU_IbNTGqOFhXn9buDJgmohaGdPqm4DWhE7t50

Will stories like this cause NCL and other lines to move currently idle ships closer to ports more likely to host sailings? 

(Where-ever those ports might be)

When cruises start up again, we might see some interesting itineraries.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, julig22 said:

I hear ya.  Trying to pretend I'm somewhere in the South Pacific on my cruise just isn't doing it.  Still hoping for Alaska in the fall.....

I was in Alaska in August 2019. So I’m actually ok not going.    It is what it is.  
that’s why I’m gonna take the FCC and the extra FCC and do a B2B outta Puerto Rico. 
upgrade to a mini suite. On the Epic.  
I have a week on RC Freedom the week before.  Jan31-feb7.  Then right to the Epic Feb 7-14      What the hell.    I’ll be going to 2 of the same ports.  But that’s ok.   Flights to Puerto Rico are cheap right now too so.  Should only cost name a few hundred outta pocket.  I’m ok with that.   Not the cruise lines fault.  
but NCL is taking for ever to cancel.   

I hate seeing this wording - "delayed indefinitely". They at least could give us some timeframes on it. A month, 3  months, a year. I hate seeing things that dont have exact time frames. My life is a well planned schedule and I hate living knowing nothing. At least they could offer something instead. Maybe a little cheer-up cruise or a tour. Anyways, will see how it goes 

9 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

Will stories like this cause NCL and other lines to move currently idle ships closer to ports more likely to host sailings?

Most ships that do the Alaska cruises weren't even in place yet for those trips, so it would be a matter of finding ports and itineraries for alternate cruises, then selling those cruises.

And yet, the decision was made based on incomplete data, as even the CDC report states.  Covid-19 RNA was found on surfaces that had not been cleaned yet, and no determination was made as to whether the RNA was from viable virus or merely left over RNA or fragments from non-viable virus, nor was a determination made as to whether those surfaces that had the RNA found on them were contagious or not.  This is a serious crisis, but making huge economic decisions based on incomplete data is irresponsible.

• Like 5

I wish they would just officially cancel my 5/16 trip and get this over with.  I am done cruising (or trying to cruise) for a while.  Last year Cuba and now Alaska - I am cursed.  For the rest of you it is better that I am not planning to be on ANY cruise at this time LOL.

So I do not want FCC I just want all of my $$$ back at this point.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, julig22 said:

Not all Alaska cruises leave from Seattle

Agreed.  But it is unlikely there will be cruises departing to Alaska from SF or LA before July 1.  

We had a month-long Alaskan adventure planned for this summer starting in June to celebrate our 25th anniversary.  As much as it hurt, I cancelled and rescheduled for next year.  We still may cruise this year to Alaska if the ports/pandemic situation gets better and just pay then.  We’ll see.

Edited by disneyochem

3 hours ago, Ms BumbleBee said:

I wish they would just officially cancel my 5/16 trip and get this over with.  I am done cruising (or trying to cruise) for a while.  Last year Cuba and now Alaska - I am cursed.  For the rest of you it is better that I am not planning to be on ANY cruise at this time LOL.

So I do not want FCC I just want all of my $$$ back at this point.

Then why don’t you cancel your cruise and start the proses to get your money back ?  What are you waiting for ? 

Edited by Ptroxx

4 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Then why don’t you cancel your cruise and start the proses to get your money back ?  What are you waiting for ? 

Because they have not yet cancelled my cruise as I noted - 5/16 cruises are not cancelled yet so while I would love nothing better I am unable to.

2 minutes ago, Ms BumbleBee said:

Because they have not yet cancelled my cruise as I noted - 5/16 cruises are not cancelled yet so while I would love nothing better I am unable to.

But as I’ve been told last night you don’t have to wait.  

• thank you for visiting our website. In the event we are disconnected you may reach me directly at (877) 416-9722 - ext 44408. You may also reach me directly at fquintana@ncl.com. 
  • How may I help you plan your next Freestyle Vacation?

Fabrizio

• Actually trying to find out status of my existing Alaska cruise for may2

6:56 PM

• Hello George as of now we have not made any other changes for future cruises to alaska in May. If we do we will let you know by email urgent

Fabrizio

6:57 PM
  • but Seattle has halted all cruises indefinitely   So how can this cruise still depart

• and Canada has no cruises till after July 1 for now

6:58 PM
  • I understand

7:00 PM

• that is why Im saying when we make changes we will email you urgently as of now we have not made any changes because we are taking it day by day

Fabrizio

• that makes no sense.   This cruise is not going to happen.  So I’d like a refund or fcc and the perks.   Why is NCL holding our money hostage when it knows we won’t be cruise to Alaska any time soon

7:02 PM
  • we have been emailing guest many times for the peace of mind policy

• that you can cancel at anytime

• I dont understand why we are keeping your funds though

• you could have cancel 2 weeks ago and get your money back

Fabrizio
  • also the same for the FCC @125% and 20% off on future cruise ?

7:03 PM

• how long till we get a cash refund ?

• 90 days for cash refund

Fabrizio

• and the other question

7:04 PM

• the fcc takes about 7 days

Fabrizio

• And it’s also the same for the FCC @125% and 20% off on future cruise ?

You cannot get a refund for a non-cancelled cruise for May, I just went and reviewed their website.  It is still stating 4/11.  I can though book my cruise today at a port that is closed with stops at ports also closed :-).  

Edited by Ms BumbleBee

27 minutes ago, Ms BumbleBee said:

You cannot get a refund for a non-cancelled cruise for May, I just went and reviewed their website.  It is still stating 4/11.  I can though book my cruise today at a port that is closed with stops at ports also closed :-).  

Per the conversation I just posted above from last night you can cancel for a refund.  Have you called ?   

• Fabrizio

• that makes no sense.   This cruise is not going to happen.  So I’d like a refund or fcc and the perks.   Why is NCL holding our money hostage when it knows we won’t be cruise to Alaska any time soon

Fabrizio

Fabrizio

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

And yet, the decision was made based on incomplete data, as even the CDC report states.  Covid-19 RNA was found on surfaces that had not been cleaned yet, and no determination was made as to whether the RNA was from viable virus or merely left over RNA or fragments from non-viable virus, nor was a determination made as to whether those surfaces that had the RNA found on them were contagious or not.  This is a serious crisis, but making huge economic decisions based on incomplete data is irresponsible.

I think the CDC has more important things to worry about than cruise ships. I hope so, anyway.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

I think the CDC has more important things to worry about than cruise ships. I hope so, anyway.

Why the CDC thinks this is sufficiently important to study is that they have an intact, undisturbed, completely fixed boundary outbreak that they can study to obtain ideas of transmission and remediation of a viral outbreak.  The fact that it is a cruise ship is not even of concern to them at this point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

You cannot cancel for cash or additional FCC unless your cruise is prior to April 12.  The exchange you keep posting is your interpretation of what you wanted, which are the terms for those who have a cruise scheduled between now and April 11 - but not the terms of the Piece of Mind, which is the only thing that you are eligible for at this time.  And no, you couldn't have canceled 2 weeks ago for cash, so something is either missing from the conversation or you got the agent totally confused.

If you want a cash refund or additional FCC (nobody is getting their perks back) you will have to wait like the rest of us (I have a May 3 cruise booked, as well as a cancelled March cruise).  Planning to use my FCC from the March cruise for something in February - and keeping my fingers crossed.

Enjoy Peace of Mind

• For all cruises through September 30, cancel up to 48 hours prior to your vacation start date and receive a Future Cruise Credit for sailings through December 2022.

Suspended Sailings

Guests who were booked on suspended cruises with embarkation dates from March 13 through April 11, 2020 will automatically receive a 125% or 150% refund (depending on the original cruise date) of their cruise fare in the form of a Future Cruise Credit which can be applied towards any Norwegian Cruise Line voyage through December 31, 2022. Future Cruise Credits will be applied to your account by April 1, 2020.

Cruises with embarkation dates from March 13 to March 17, 2020 will receive 150%
Cruises with embarkation dates from March 18 to April 11, 2020 will receive 125%

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, julig22 said:

You cannot cancel for cash or additional FCC unless your cruise is prior to April 12.  The exchange you keep posting is your interpretation of what you wanted, which are the terms for those who have a cruise scheduled between now and April 11 - but not the terms of the Piece of Mind, which is the only thing that you are eligible for at this time.  And no, you couldn't have canceled 2 weeks ago for cash, so something is either missing from the conversation or you got the agent totally confused.

If you want a cash refund or additional FCC (nobody is getting their perks back) you will have to wait like the rest of us (I have a May 3 cruise booked, as well as a cancelled March cruise).  Planning to use my FCC from the March cruise for something in February - and keeping my fingers crossed.

Enjoy Peace of Mind

• For all cruises through September 30, cancel up to 48 hours prior to your vacation start date and receive a Future Cruise Credit for sailings through December 2022.

Suspended Sailings

Guests who were booked on suspended cruises with embarkation dates from March 13 through April 11, 2020 will automatically receive a 125% or 150% refund (depending on the original cruise date) of their cruise fare in the form of a Future Cruise Credit which can be applied towards any Norwegian Cruise Line voyage through December 31, 2022. Future Cruise Credits will be applied to your account by April 1, 2020.

Cruises with embarkation dates from March 13 to March 17, 2020 will receive 150%
Cruises with embarkation dates from March 18 to April 11, 2020 will receive 125%

I’m aware of the POM.   But Ive talked to 4 NCL agents in 12 hours. 2 last night and 2 today  and I get a different answer buy 50% of them. 2 say one thing and 2 say the other.   As you can read in the transcript I posted that says I can get a refund now.     

10 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

I’m aware of the POM.   But Ive talked to 4 NCL agents in 12 hours. 2 last night and 2 today  and I get a different answer buy 50% of them. 2 say one thing and 2 say the other.   As you can read in the transcript I posted that says I can get a refund now.     

Then why don't you just apply instead of calling every agent you can call?  The fact that you keep calling and getting different answers kinda indicates that you know the real answer, even though it's not what you want to hear.  And no, they didn't really say you could get your refund - they only said what the terms would be, assuming you were eligible.

3 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Then why don't you just apply instead of calling every agent you can call?  The fact that you keep calling and getting different answers kinda indicates that you know the real answer, even though it's not what you want to hear.  And no, they didn't really say you could get your refund - they only said what the terms would be, assuming you were eligible.

I gave them my travel date.  And I’m not calling. I’m chatting.  Just to see how screwed up ncl system is.  That’s why you can see what they told me in my transcripts 
and how does it indicate I know the answer when I keep getting 2 different answers.  

• Hello Georg thank you for visiting our website. In the event we are disconnected you may reach me directly at (877) 416-9722 - ext 44408. You may also reach me directly at fquintana@ncl.com. 
  • How may I help you plan your next Freestyle Vacation?
    Fabrizio
  • Actually trying to find out status of my existing Alaska cruise for may2
    6:56 PM
  • Hello George as of now we have not made any other changes for future cruises to alaska in May. If we do we will let you know by email urgent
    Fabrizio
    6:57 PM
  • but Seattle has halted all cruises indefinitely   So how can this cruise still depart
  • and Canada has no cruises till after July 1 for now
    6:58 PM
  • I understand
  • that is why Im saying when we make changes we will email you urgently as of now we have not made any changes because we are taking it day by day
    Fabrizio
  • that makes no sense.   This cruise is not going to happen.  So7:00 PM I’d like a refund or fcc and the perks.   Why is NCL holding our money hostage when it knows we won’t be cruise to Alaska any time soon
    Fabrizio
    Fabrizio
  • and the other question
    7:04 PM
  • the fcc takes about 7 days
    Fabrizio
  • And it’s also the same for the FCC @125% and 20% off on future cruise ?
  • yes 20% future cruises between July 1 2020 - Dec 31 2022
    Fabrizio
    7:06 PM
  • What happens to my cruise next?   Does that come in fcc of back to my account
    7:07 PM
    it will go back to your original form of coupon as a cruise next .
    Fabrizio
  • Thanks for your time.   Appreciated

4 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

I gave them my travel date.  And I’m not calling. I’m chatting.  Just to see how screwed up ncl system is.  That’s why you can see what they told me in my transcripts 
and how does it indicate I know the answer when I keep getting 2 different answers.  

You said you contacted them 4 times and got 2 different answers.  So you don't believe them, otherwise you wouldn't keep contacting them.  You can post the same chat conversation as much as you like, it still doesn't change the rules.  Just cancel if you are so sure you (and 2 of the 4 NCL agents) are correct.  Again, they didn't say you were eligible  - they gave you answers to the questions you were asking, not necessarily connecting that your cruise was not eligible for the terms you were asking about.  Again, just cancel when you find an agent that thinks you are eligible - nobody on CC has the ability to do that for you or change the rules for you.

14 minutes ago, julig22 said:

You said you contacted them 4 times and got 2 different answers.  So you don't believe them, otherwise you wouldn't keep contacting them.  You can post the same chat conversation as much as you like, it still doesn't change the rules.  Just cancel if you are so sure you (and 2 of the 4 NCL agents) are correct.  Again, they didn't say you were eligible  - they gave you answers to the questions you were asking, not necessarily connecting that your cruise was not eligible for the terms you were asking about.  Again, just cancel when you find an agent that thinks you are eligible - nobody on CC has the ability to do that for you or change the rules for you.

I never said I was sure I was correct. Your missing the point.  
im saying that some of NCL agents have no clue of what their talking about.  
That’s why I started a few different chats with agents this morning to get more confirmation that they have no clue what their talking about 
Geez someone needs a walk or something.  

Edited by Ptroxx
  • Haha 1