NCL Kicked Us OFF Their Ship in a Foreign Country

tjbarney

On 3/30/2020 at 2:21 PM, wvacations said:

I was on the ship and had no  problem checking flights.    I decided to stay overnight and also had no problem getting my preferred hotel booked.     I left Sunday night on a flight with over 150  open seats.    

Just for my own curiosity, can you let me know what airline had 150 empty seats on the day before the Chile closed its boarders?

Edited by wvacations
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2020 at 5:40 PM, uncleah said:

I was on RC Explorer for one of the norovirus cruises.  We missed ports and the cruise was cut short.  The captain had a meeting in the theater where we were offered a pittance for compensation.  He nearly had a passenger revolt.  

O.K. that makes a whole lot of sense. Take a ship with with spreading gastrointestinal disease, pack all of the passengers in to the theater with a lot of contact points like railing and eachother, to discuss being sick. eeewww

7 hours ago, wvacations said:

Just for my own curiosity, can you let me know what airline had 150 empty seats on the day before the Chile closed its boarders?

3-15-20     AA   SCL to MIA    I easily got business class.   Most of premium economy also open.   

I had a friend on a b2b on this cruise. She was very stressed finding an emergency flight back, but after seeing the drama unfolding with Eclipse and Zaandam, she’s pretty thrilled that NCL cancelled the second leg. I agree they should have been more generous with transportation and assistance with flights, but they did not cut a trip short, they simply cancelled a sailing. They did the exact same to all sailings everywhere in the world on that day. And in hindsight, it was the right move. Confirmed covid on the Eclipse, multiple confirmed covid on Zaandam with  fatalities. Both cruise ships spending weeks trying to find any port to accept them. Talk about a bad situation. 

• Like 1

It is possible, you were kicked off at 9:30 and not allowed to stay the whole day on the ship because NCL was afraid the Chile government might refuse to allow passengers to disembark at some point in the day!     Just like what's going on here, no one wants the cruise passengers to disembark in their port.    So as soon as NCL got the word that they could get their passengers off, they weren't going to waste a minute and allow Chile to decide differently.   

Imagine the situation if you were still on the Star, still floating out there begging nations to let you disembark!    The Chile airports weren't closed, you were able to get flights, imagine if you were to have been 2 days later and the airports closed!    Im going to give NCL the pass here and hopeful they wanted you off the ship before the authorities denied you and they wanted you to get to an airport asap, get your ticket and get out of the country asap before it closed.    Yet, you're mad they didn't let you hang around the ship the rest of the day.........

I was on the Pearl in late February and I'm positive I got the virus on that cruise.   There was so much coughing it was undeniable.  So many crew were coughing.   I started coughing the day before we were disembarking.   I was at the airport and now it was more than a cough.   Im flying home and have a fever!!    I get home and look up the symptoms of corona virus and freak out!!   Then 2 days later I get the shortness of breath, to the point I can't catch my breath.  I'm wondering if I need to get to the ER!    It was Coronaa virus.   The medical professionals not he ship surely knew.   The captain surely knew his own crew had it.   I get your anger.  Im Platinum Plus and angry too.   But in your case, I think you should be grateful NCL was able to off board passengers before the authorities denied you.   Be thankful the airports were still open.   Maybe NCL knew the airports were getting ready to close at any minute.   You didn't need to sit the day on the ship that was going to be kicked out of that port probably!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Vyhanek said:

It is possible, you were kicked off at 9:30 and not allowed to stay the whole day on the ship because NCL was afraid the Chile government might refuse to allow passengers to disembark at some point in the day!     Just like what's going on here, no one wants the cruise passengers to disembark in their port.    So as soon as NCL got the word that they could get their passengers off, they weren't going to waste a minute and allow Chile to decide differently.   

Imagine the situation if you were still on the Star, still floating out there begging nations to let you disembark!    The Chile airports weren't closed, you were able to get flights, imagine if you were to have been 2 days later and the airports closed!    Im going to give NCL the pass here and hopeful they wanted you off the ship before the authorities denied you and they wanted you to get to an airport asap, get your ticket and get out of the country asap before it closed.    Yet, you're mad they didn't let you hang around the ship the rest of the day.........

I was on the Pearl in late February and I'm positive I got the virus on that cruise.   There was so much coughing it was undeniable.  So many crew were coughing.   I started coughing the day before we were disembarking.   I was at the airport and now it was more than a cough.   Im flying home and have a fever!!    I get home and look up the symptoms of corona virus and freak out!!   Then 2 days later I get the shortness of breath, to the point I can't catch my breath.  I'm wondering if I need to get to the ER!    It was Coronaa virus.   The medical professionals not he ship surely knew.   The captain surely knew his own crew had it.   I get your anger.  Im Platinum Plus and angry too.   But in your case, I think you should be grateful NCL was able to off board passengers before the authorities denied you.   Be thankful the airports were still open.   Maybe NCL knew the airports were getting ready to close at any minute.   You didn't need to sit the day on the ship that was going to be kicked out of that port probably!

You have obviously misunderstood if you think "you're mad they didn't let you hang around the ship the rest of the day.........".  I am upset that NCL didn't provide the b2b cruisers assistance in getting home.  I am upset that the senior officers on board assured us we would get reimbursed for our expenses.  I am upset that upon returning home NCL basically ignores me and gives me canned responses saying they won't give us any compensation for our unexpected international, last minute, flights back home.  

I'm sorry for your experience and am glad it seems you are doing better. Just think of all those people in the airport and everywhere you went that you potentially infected.  You should have known enough about the virus that you should have been taking every precaution not to infect others and quarantine yourself.

1 hour ago, tjbarney said:

You have obviously misunderstood if you think "you're mad they didn't let you hang around the ship the rest of the day.........".  I am upset that NCL didn't provide the b2b cruisers assistance in getting home.  I am upset that the senior officers on board assured us we would get reimbursed for our expenses.  I am upset that upon returning home NCL basically ignores me and gives me canned responses saying they won't give us any compensation for our unexpected international, last minute, flights back home.  

I'm sorry for your experience and am glad it seems you are doing better. Just think of all those people in the airport and everywhere you went that you potentially infected.  You should have known enough about the virus that you should have been taking every precaution not to infect others and quarantine yourself.

Yeah I travel on a budget, the $130 to get to the airport would have been bad enough, usually we research to see if public transportation is safe/reliable/cheap -  but given a few hours to get off the ship, impossible -  so i would of had to pony up and pay the $130.  Now (remember i travel on a budget, never expecting to get kicked off a cruise ship)  Now I have to pay $1500 for a last minute airline ticket, yeah that will sting a lot, (Believe it or not we usually pay about $500 per person out the door for a 7 day cruise).  I guess many on here have a lot of financial resources, perplexing that some believe NCL should not have helped you, perplexing that NCL still refuses to help you.

Edited by Newleno
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

3-15-20     AA   SCL to MIA    I easily got business class.   Most of premium economy also open.   

Guess you got pretty lucky  that a plane with 271 seats only had 121 seats taken. Our United flight to IAH was full. Every seat taken.We were traveling with my parents in their 80's  all had to sit separately in middle seats. Business Class (not that I could have paid $5,000 times 4) was also full.

4 hours ago, tjbarney said:

You did find your own flights didn't you?    What kind of "assistance"  were you looking for?   Any "help" from the ship wouldn't have resulted in anything different,  likely would have taken more time and few options after waiting in lines.   

Your travel insurance is what needs to be used.   They are the one who  you need to make your claims with.    At the most, in the past NCL would offer,  limited  change fee reimbursements-   never anything more.  

IF you have witnesses when you were supposedly told by those "officers"  that you would be a free flight home,   then maybe  contact the head office with the details.   But,  I highly suspect,   the response was,  may, pay,  etc..   not that they would,   Nobody on the ship was in a position to  authorize this anyway.      I'll assume you have nothing in writing?  

You already have the denial document from the cruise line-  so submit your claim to your travel insurance.      It sounds like you  made it out that day and are healthy    $65 pp for your transfer was actually reasonable.    A taxi is comparable.      

Good luck,  hopefully your insurance claim will be processed.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wvacations said:

Guess you got pretty lucky  that a plane with 271 seats only had 121 seats taken. Our United flight to IAH was full. Every seat taken.We were traveling with my parents in their 80's  all had to sit separately in middle seats. Business Class (not that I could have paid $5,000 times 4) was also full.

I left on Sunday-   the Saturday  flight was fuller with only about 15 open seats.        Yes I was very lucky.    I hedged my bets with possibilities of flying out of EZE and MVD.    My crystal ball was looked at with my decisions.  🙂    

34 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

I left on Sunday-   the Saturday  flight was fuller with only about 15 open seats.        Yes I was very lucky.    I hedged my bets with possibilities of flying out of EZE and MVD.    My crystal ball was looked at with my decisions.  🙂    

hmmm I wonder if we are comparing apples to oranges here, hmmm how much did you pay for you last minute flight, hmm how much did you pay for your hedges, hmmm.  Sounds like a game of "to tell the truth"  I think I know the answer to the enigma.  We will see

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mugtech said:

over 300 Americans

WAY over 300.  Zaandam, Amsterdam and now the Coral Princess.  The 2 HAL ships are just awaiting a signature on the approval to dock.  Coral Princess is the next to fight for approval...

• Like 1

I think Covid-19. Will change the standards and safety on ships forever, cruise lines risk assessments will have to improve, toilets and public buffets will need more supervision, ports of call, immigration, temperature tests, staff medical histories, the public pay high prices to cruise, and must be 100% safe and not at any risk.

32 minutes ago, Trimone said:

................. the public pay high prices to cruise, and must be 100% safe and not at any risk.

Everywhere and everyone must strive to be the cleanest and safest they can but the above thought is an impossible goal and unrealistic whether you are on a cruise ship, an airplane, hotel, gym, kids day care and on and on.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Trimone said:

, the public pay high prices to cruise, and must be 100% safe and not at any risk.

You will never be 100% safe and not at any risk.  This is an unrealistic standard, that can't even be obtained in your home, let alone outside of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Named-Tawny said:

You will never be 100% safe and not at any risk.  This is an unrealistic standard, that can't even be obtained in your home, let alone outside of it.

Ok I accept that, but how many times have you seen someone walk out the toilets without washing, that’s simple, handling food and buffet and retuning it, these areas need strict supervision.