Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

So what are you using the tumbler for?   Surely you can’t just hand it to the bartender and say fill it up with an adult beverage?  Although that would be awesome. 😀

A way to stretch those voucher drinks. 

A friend may have brought a couple of bottles of wine on board for me in addition to the 2 I was allowed. 

• Like 4

It seems in my area of New York - about an hour due north of NYC - we get a little of everything but not a lot of any one thing. The occasional blizzard, a hurricane although they are usually peter-out into mere Tropical Storms by the time they get here. Even the infamous Sandy was technically not a hurricane when it got here.  Maybe a tornado every few years. The earthquakes here are so slight that most people don't even feel them & the worst damage might be a broken glass vase if it falls off the shelf.  Fires tend to be small & self contained in parks or deep in forests where there can be little property damage.

I guess the one "defining" natural disaster of this area would be the dreaded Nor'easter.  Looks like a hurricane from satellite images but technically is not.  However, you are guaranteed high winds, lots of rain or snow and both coastal & inland flooding. Loss of power for days is also a nice feature.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, sgmn said:

So yesterday my son had popped into the Chinese take-away for supper . Right next door was a fish and chip takeaway which being Sunday was closed. When he was in the Chinese a car lost control and slammed into the fish and chip shop.  Thankfully nobody seemed hurt but just goes to show how random life is. A second later and it could of been the Chinese he hit

IMG-20220220-WA0005.thumb.jpg.7d2535bac31e722fb907ae703920ce42.jpg

That is awful Sue.

I'm pleased your son is okay.

Graham.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

It seems in my area of New York - about an hour due north of NYC - we get a little of everything but not a lot of any one thing. The occasional blizzard, a hurricane although they are usually peter-out into mere Tropical Storms by the time they get here. Even the infamous Sandy was technically not a hurricane when it got here.  Maybe a tornado every few years. The earthquakes here are so slight that most people don't even feel them & the worst damage might be a broken glass vase if it falls off the shelf.  Fires tend to be small & self contained in parks or deep in forests where there can be little property damage.

I guess the one "defining" natural disaster of this area would be the dreaded Nor'easter.  Looks like a hurricane from satellite images but technically is not.  However, you are guaranteed high winds, lots of rain or snow and both coastal & inland flooding. Loss of power for days is also a nice feature.

I was in 2 places during earthquakes and never felt a thing.

59 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Back from the cancer doctor. Things are not too bad.  She wants him to go for a pet scan to see if the lesions are actually new ones.  If so, she will just change his medicine around.  I asked her if he would be around for quite awhile and she said definitely.😁so, thank you all for your good wishes and support.

Great news Marietta.

Graham.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

She is great, young and speaks to us in simple terms!  She actually hurt her knee skiing so I told her about Greg’s surgery.  

She was a lucky find. 
Even though my surgeon was sure he got all of my cancer, I still have to see an oncologist. I told her why he said he was referring me to her…he told me she’s really nice, she listens and she cares. 
All I could see of her face above her mask was her eyes, but she had tears in them. 
She told me she hoped all doctors went into the profession because they care. 
Maybe they do, but not all of them show it. 

• Like 8

There is nothing better than a caring doctor.I have posted this before.My father passed away 41 years ago today at age 85 .His doctor accepted Medicare’s payment and did not ask me for additional money.

He also made a very nice donation in my fathers memory .

I never heard anyone say anything negative about him.He is still working at age 91 as a Medical Consultant.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

When I lived in Rockland County, the worse weather I remember getting were blizzards, high winds, minimal damage hurricanes.  I don't recall tornadoes or earthquakes. My co-worker who lived in NJ refused to evacuate one time and she had to be rescued by boat.  She was not near a beach.  The flooding was up to her 2nd story windows.  Sometimes evacuating is the prudent thing to do.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Do they have sessions set up when you can meet the musicians?  I'm wondering if that's all part of such a cruise in addition to seeing them perform.  Or maybe your suite status gives you access?

In the past there was always interviews followed by autographs sessions where you can meet and get pictures with the artist, but I guess because of Covid they didn’t have that for the most part but sometimes the artist would hang around after the concert so you could talk to them and get autographs. Have not seen any of the bigger stars in suite lounge yet, but it’s still early.

just saw Mellisa Manchester and that was one of the best concerts I have ever seen and I see lots of concerts will definitely see her again if she is near where we live or someplace we will visit. Music on these cruises is amazing besides the main artist they have lots of other extremely talented singers and musicians. There was about a thousand people at the pool this morning listening to a Queen cover band. Tomorrow we are in St Maarten not sure if we will get off the boat depends on what entertainment is on the ship . It was funny on a previous music cruise there was a huge rccl ship docked next to us and we had a great band at our pool and there were loads on rccl passengers listening and applauding from there ship.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I received my confirmation e-mail from USPS that the test kits are on the way & expected to be delivered Friday, Feb 25th.

I guess we're in the bottom 20%.

funny thing is I received the confirmation / tracking email from USPS on Friday or Saturday about our free test kits from the government saying I would receive by 2/28.      

We received our freebies about 2 week ago. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

Back from the cancer doctor. Things are not too bad.  She wants him to go for a pet scan to see if the lesions are actually new ones.  If so, she will just change his medicine around.  I asked her if he would be around for quite awhile and she said definitely.😁so, thank you all for your good wishes and support.

That's Terrific news!    You can stop biting your nails and both relax.     So happy to hear and thank you for the update.   💕

Yes, having a Doctor that really does care makes a huge difference

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Fantastic news!  Must be a huge relief.  I always have a bottle of champagne chilling in the fridge when Micheline has to get her routine bloodwork done.  Take any chance that you can get to celebrate a win against cancer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

When I lived in Rockland County, the worse weather I remember getting were blizzards, high winds, minimal damage hurricanes.  I don't recall tornadoes or earthquakes. My co-worker who lived in NJ refused to evacuate one time and she had to be rescued by boat.  She was not near a beach.  The flooding was up to her 2nd story windows.  Sometimes evacuating is the prudent thing to do.

Most of the tornadoes usually touch down very briefly, - for like a minute or less and take down a few trees, maybe blow some shingles off a roof or two  and then are gone. Although back in the 1980's. one hit an elementary school in Orange, County,NY and killed a few kids.

As for the earthquakes, I never felt one either but I did hear a couple. At least I think it did. Loud boom off in the distance. It would usually make the news since there is a fault line that runs directly under the Indian Point nuclear power plant & the big fear was there could be a meltdown.

I used to work in Westchester County, NY where many of the early parkways were built next to rivers or sometimes on top of partially filled in rivers. Of course, during heavy rains, water would run to where it always went to and many of those parkways would flood very quickly. Motorist were forever being stranded. I learned quickly to avoid any parkway with the word River in it - Saw Mill River Parkway, Bronx River Parkway, Hutchinson River Parkway, etc.  during a thunderstorm.

I guess Flood Water Management wasn't' a thing back then and even now, no matter how much drainage work the highway dept tries, it just moves the flood water to a different part of the parkway.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Mars beats Snickers any day, fried or not.

Snickers rule in this house. 😋

36 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

As for the earthquakes, I never felt one either but I did hear a couple. At least I think it did. Loud boom off in the distance. It would usually make the news since there is a fault line that runs directly under the Indian Point nuclear power plant & the big fear was there could be a meltdown.

I used to work in Westchester County, NY where many of the early parkways were built next to rivers or sometimes on top of partially filled in rivers. Of course, during heavy rains, water would run to where it always went to and many of those parkways would flood very quickly. Motorist were forever being stranded. I learned quickly to avoid any parkway with the word River in it - Saw Mill River Parkway, Bronx River Parkway, Hutchinson River Parkway, etc.  during a thunderstorm.

I guess Flood Water Management wasn't' a thing back then and even now, no matter how much drainage work the highway dept tries, it just moves the flood water to a different part of the parkway.

Every time I would drive up to the DMV in Haverstraw, I always viewed the Indian Point Nuclear Plant across the river with trepidation.  It looked sinister to me.

I've been on those "River" Parkways.  Beautiful, scenic ride but without the flooding. 😊

• Like 2

@George CI just looked at the lineup of your cruise.  It sounds so amazing.  Ambrosia, Guess Who, Toast The Ultimate Bread Experience (that’s cute!), Bee Gees Gold, Hotel California, Foreigner, 10CC, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Badfinger, Queen Nation, Little River Band, on and on…..and of course, Air Supply.  My favorite. We’ve seen them twice.  The last one just this last October.  I will go every time they are here.

When will next year’s cruise be?  You said you’ve already.booked it since you are onboard. Website doesn’t say. I imagine it sells out pretty quickly with all the fans booking while onboard.  I think I would just stay on the ship the whole time and not get off at any ports.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

The condo development that I live in is surrounded by water on three sides.After Hurricane Sandy there were hundreds of dead fish in the streets .Some even blew into windows of homes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

funny thing is I received the confirmation / tracking email from USPS on Friday or Saturday about our free test kits from the government saying I would receive by 2/28.      

We received our freebies about 2 week ago. 

We also got the confirmation stating a 2/28 delivery .We got them 2/18.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Most of the tornadoes usually touch down very briefly, - for like a minute or less and take down a few trees, maybe blow some shingles off a roof or two  and then are gone. Although back in the 1980's. one hit an elementary school in Orange, County,NY and killed a few kids.

The Bronx River Parkway tends to flood a lot.