Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

My S8 had sort of been like an old friend. I kind of hate to leave it behind.

13 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

If you upgraded from an S7 then you are like me and hold onto a phone for awhile.

I have the Samsung S10e ,which I guess is 3 years old. I plan to keep it for at least another 3 years, maybe longer. I'm not what you'd call an early adapter.  I hang on to my phone as long as possible, I think I was the last person on earth to give up a flip phone & get a smart phone. Even then, I made sure it still had physical keyboard, one of those "slider" phones where the keyboard slid in and out. So much easier to type.

One thing I like about my S10e is that the "e" stood for economy-size, it's slight smaller than the regular S10 and a lot smaller than the S10+ yet with the edge-to-edge screen, you lose very little screen real estate.   More importantly, it's very pocket-friendly which is my #1 criteria picking a phone. I dislike the "bigger-is-better" mentality of the newer phones. I'm pretty sure the S10 is the only version that came wtih a "e" model so I'm definitely in the minority,

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

If you upgraded from an S7 then you are like me and hold onto a phone for awhile.

9 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I'm not what you'd call an early adapter.

I have never been one that needed the newest phone.  Like previous phones, the S7 was petty much gone. Now that I am retired I rarely use a phone.  My S21 was mainly chosen because of the camera.  I was once big into Canon cameras and lenses but unless the sole purpose of going somewhere was to shoot pics, lugging it all around was a hassle.  I look at the S21 as a nice camera with a phone.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

You'll be missing some nasty weather at home.  Today was 82 and Wed. will be 32 with sleet, ice and who knows what else will fall from our Dallas area skies. 

Did your cruise group charter the whole ship?

Continue to have a wonderful cruise!

Yes total charter with 100 percent occupancy, which required a couple of Covid tests, one of our heating systems went out when we were leaving for the cruise, luckily it the smaller unit that just covers bedrooms and a couple of bathrooms, so we upped the heat in main unit and had a good neighbor contact our heating company and it is now working.

Fantastic music again today first Mellisa Manchester, then Little river band , then we saw Maria Muldaur for a second time in consecutive days.

Ship is now pulling into San Juan for a medical emergency, they told us several times that this was a non Covid medical issue. We are due to dock in St Maarten tomorrow.  

• Like 8

2 hours ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

Peas are worse than raisins.  🤢🤮🤢

Neither will ever be found in our house.

1 hour ago, George C said:

Yes total charter with 100 percent occupancy, which required a couple of Covid tests, one of our heating systems went out when we were leaving for the cruise, luckily it the smaller unit that just covers bedrooms and a couple of bathrooms, so we upped the heat in main unit and had a good neighbor contact our heating company and it is now working.

Fantastic music again today first Mellisa Manchester, then Little river band , then we saw Maria Muldaur for a second time in consecutive days.

Ship is now pulling into San Juan for a medical emergency, they told us several times that this was a non Covid medical issue. We are due to dock in St Maarten tomorrow.  

I didn't know cruises were up to 100% capacity.  BTW, the 32 degrees on Wed is the high.  Mid 20s for the low. 

Keep cruising happy.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

BTW, the 32 degrees on Wed is the high.  Mid 20s for the low. 

Wed,  the high in NY will be 63. 🙂

But then dropping to 22 at night. I love these 40 degree temperature changes in less than 24 hours. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So day 5 of symptoms I can do the first test (of two) to release, but it still shows positive ☹️

Gary now shows a faint second line

My SIL still shows positive

My nephew (her son) now positive

My neice  (different side of family from SIL) also positive after attending a wedding in Dublin

My DIL also now shows positive 😥

The only good thing if Gary does have covid is I won't have to isolate in the bedroom any more  and will be able to use the whole house 

Not sure what we are going to do about exercising Molly

Announcement yesterday is that from Thursday there is no legal requirement to isolate, it is replaced with an advisory to stay at home 

They are also doing away with free testing apart from the vulnerable. So after April we have to pay for tests 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Not sure what we are going to do about exercising Molly

Glad you're feeling OK, despite still being positive.

Sue, can you exercise Molly "in the woods"? 

Meaning, leaving home without meeting people, and if you see someone from afar, just mask until they pass you?

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about all the positives in the family including you Sue.  We have had to pay for our RATS tests here.  If you are over a certain age, they are free though. Our Max went a week without being walked during our isolation. Our yard is big enough that he got exercised via the tennis racquet & tennis ball.  Is there someone local you can reach out to via FB or one of the odd jobs work wanted apps that can walk her?

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I have the Samsung S10e ,which I guess is 3 years old. I plan to keep it for at least another 3 years, maybe longer. I'm not what you'd call an early adapter.  I hang on to my phone as long as possible, I think I was the last person on earth to give up a flip phone & get a smart phone. Even then, I made sure it still had physical keyboard, one of those "slider" phones where the keyboard slid in and out. So much easier to type.

One thing I like about my S10e is that the "e" stood for economy-size, it's slight smaller than the regular S10 and a lot smaller than the S10+ yet with the edge-to-edge screen, you lose very little screen real estate.   More importantly, it's very pocket-friendly which is my #1 criteria picking a phone. I dislike the "bigger-is-better" mentality of the newer phones. I'm pretty sure the S10 is the only version that came wtih a "e" model so I'm definitely in the minority,

I also don't subscribe to the "bigger is better" mentality. My S8 is the perfect size for my hand which is why I didn't go with the S22 plus. I don't worry so much about pocket fit as I keep my phone clipped into a holster on my belt. If it were not for the battery issue I would still be sticking with my present phone. Though as time goes on you start running into apps that won't run on older versions of Android.

Like you, I was not quick to get a smart phone. This S8 was my first one. Though now I really can't function without one.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I have never been one that needed the newest phone.  Like previous phones, the S7 was petty much gone. Now that I am retired I rarely use a phone.  My S21 was mainly chosen because of the camera.  I was once big into Canon cameras and lenses but unless the sole purpose of going somewhere was to shoot pics, lugging it all around was a hassle.  I look at the S21 as a nice camera with a phone.  

I have that same outlook. I don't get why some people upgrade their phones every year. If the phone makes calls, connects to the internet,  can text, email, play my music,  take good pictures, and has reasonable battery life then I'm good.

• Like 10

51 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Glad you're feeling OK, despite still being positive.

Sue, can you exercise Molly "in the woods"? 

Meaning, leaving home without meeting people, and if you see someone from afar, just mask until they pass you?

Not legally, its isolate at home until two clear days from day 5 or if still positive at day 10 can end isolation 

Can only leave if can't get a food delivery or need urgent medical supplies/care

My son is coming over in his lunch hour so she'll get one walk today 

I think if I'm still positive by Thursday when restrictions lift I'll take her for a walk in woods. It's easy to avoid the few people who may be there 

I'm feel 95% fine now anyway 👍

• Like 11

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

So day 5 of symptoms I can do the first test (of two) to release, but it still shows positive ☹️

Gary now shows a faint second line

My SIL still shows positive

My nephew (her son) now positive

My neice  (different side of family from SIL) also positive after attending a wedding in Dublin

My DIL also now shows positive 😥

They are also doing away with free testing apart from the vulnerable. So after April we have to pay for tests 

Seems to me that will just stop people from testing.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Sorry to hear about all the positives in the family including you Sue.  We have had to pay for our RATS tests here.  If you are over a certain age, they are free though. Our Max went a week without being walked during our isolation. Our yard is big enough that he got exercised via the tennis racquet & tennis ball.  Is there someone local you can reach out to via FB or one of the odd jobs work wanted apps that can walk her?

Good idea about tennis ball and racket. 

Nick, our youngest who lives near is going to walk her at lunch time. He was going back to the office this week but because my DIL has now also caught it, he's a close contact so another week of WFH

She goes to doggy day care on Fridays to keep her socialized and she'll probably have her if we asked 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Seems to me that will just stop people from testing.

Yeap, that's the worry.

It's not till April though. The rationale is billions have been spent on free testing for the last year or so and money needs to go towards the very big backlog that's built up this last two years. There's still free testing for vulnerable and care settings 

There's quite an interesting analyst below

BBC News - Covid: An axe has been taken to testing - does it matter?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-60471607

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I have that same outlook. I don't get why some people upgrade their phones every year. If the phone makes calls, connects to the internet,  can text, email, play my music,  take good pictures, and has reasonable battery life then I'm good.

+1

• Like 2