Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

21 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Is this area for a Hot Tub?

No, this area (void/empty space) isn't ours... It belongs to the neighbor under us, it's their balcony.

I'm "playing" with the idea of offering them a nice compensation, demolish the wall, and continue our balcony with a deck above their balcony. It means they'll have less of an "above" light, only from the sides...

DH isn't keen.... He thinks we have enough space as it is....

To be continued...

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

To all the west coast cruisers, how are you folks holding up from the wild fire?

The past few days whenever I look outside, there's a tinge of orange color due to the wild fire smoke. At night when I look up at the moon, it's pale orange.

Not as bad as last year when it was so orange outside that I thought I was transported to Mars. But my area is still technically above 100 in the www.purpleair.com scale, which isn't a great thing but better than the 300+ registered last year, which is super unhealthy.

Here's a news report:

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/why-the-sun-and-sky-is-orange-in-the-bay-area-photos/

Bad air quality in most of CA per this map

It's not as bad today in Hayward, as it was a couple of days ago. AQI is only showing 69 today, it was 130 a couple of days ago. :classic_biggrin: It still looks orangey. :classic_smile:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Does she need a special permit to do it?  Here it's extremely rare, and you'd have to show you have the qualifications to home school...

+1

Uniforms !!! Didn't see it for a while in such small kids....😁

Not sure how it works but I don’t think a special permit is needed.  My daughter doing the home schooling has here Masters degree in teaching and is certified to teach.  She has taken a break from teaching while she is blessing us with grandchildren.  I believe she is going back to teaching at a school once the youngest is old enough to go.  She turns one next month.  She started home schooling when the pandemic hit and is continuing through at least this year.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

To all the west coast cruisers, how are you folks holding up from the wild fire?

Technically not a west coaster, but we were there to take our grandson home to the North Bay Area last weekend.  Just FaceTime them last night, and they have smoke drifting down their way from the Caldor fire.   I assume they probably have some ash landing there, since I saw some in the video from Novato.  They are at 56 now, so a little better than you.

One of my friends lives very near the Caldor fire.  Last I was in contact with her on Wednesday, one of their friends was under evacuation orders, and they were moving some things to their garage.  I see the air is at 106 at their place.

Stay safe out there.  I hate those fires.

Edited by h20skibum
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

No, this area (void/empty space) isn't ours... It belongs to the neighbor under us, it's their balcony.

I'm "playing" with the idea of offering them a nice compensation, demolish the wall, and continue our balcony with a deck above their balcony. It means they'll have less of an "above" light, only from the sides...

DH isn't keen.... He thinks we have enough space as it is....

To be continued...

I'm with you....I would love to have that extra space outdoors, especially with the beautiful view you have.

Remind him Happy Wife, Happy Life😇

FYI, Eric heard back from his Doctor today.   She said at first they were considering having people wait the full 6 months from last jab before getting the booster, but she said they changed their mind this week and are now telling all transplant patients to get the booster as soon as they can. 

She said to make sure he gets the same as what he had first round (which was Pfizer).   She doesn't want anyone mixing pfizer and moderna as there really isn't any study on how transplant patients do with mixed vaccines.   

So we will call on local pharmacy this weekend for his booster.     I asked her if I should get a booster too, she said I should wait as I probably have good load of antibodies especially since I didn't get Covid when he had it in February (pre-vaccine).    

• Like 6

5 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Uniforms !!! Didn't see it for a while in such small kids....😁

Yes, they are attending a private school.  They have really enjoyed their 1st week.

My 3rd youngest daughter hasn’t had any children yet.  She is wanting to do an Alaskan cruise.  We told her maybe the 1st part of May when our Hawaiian cruise gets back.  It’s next cruise is Alaska.  Sounds like we are waiting to see if she will be able to cruise then. 😊 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Not sure how it works but I don’t think a special permit is needed.  My daughter doing the home schooling has here Masters degree in teaching and is certified to teach.  She has taken a break from teaching while she is blessing us with grandchildren.  I believe she is going back to teaching at a school once the youngest is old enough to go.  She turns one next month.  She started home schooling when the pandemic hit and is continuing through at least this year.  

My SIL did home schooling for their 2 daughters.    She didn't have a teaching degree, she had a college degree just not in teaching.     The state would provide her with the required curriculum and access to get the required books.    

She did homeschool because they lived on a dairy farm and it was something like 30 to 45 minute ride to school one way each day and winter months was even worse.    She also signed up the girls for a foreign student exchange program for high school and college.      Worked out great for them.    They were educated in a couple different countries they probably would have never traveled to otherwise.   

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

FYI, Eric heard back from his Doctor today.   She said at first they were considering having people wait the full 6 months from last jab before getting the booster, but she said they changed their mind this week and are now telling all transplant patients to get the booster as soon as they can. 

She said to make sure he gets the same as what he had first round (which was Pfizer).   She doesn't want anyone mixing pfizer and moderna as there really isn't any study on how transplant patients do with mixed vaccines.   

So we will call on local pharmacy this weekend for his booster.     I asked her if I should get a booster too, she said I should wait as I probably have good load of antibodies especially since I didn't get Covid when he had it in February (pre-vaccine).    

Debbie, I'm glad you heard back from the doctor...probably the outcome you were hoping to hear about getting Eric a booster shot sooner, rather than later.  Do you think you will then go on the cruise you were considering?

Also....I felt that I saw somewhere that LBI has a secondhand book store???  If so, do you know offhand where it is?  TIA

5 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

So we will call on local pharmacy this weekend for his booster. 

Just a thought...

Since his last shot was March 25th, I'd wait another few days, and make an appointment for the 26th, so as to be "after" the 5 months, as recommended here.

It seems that the "world" is following in "our" steps....

• Like 6

Just now, dani negreanu said:

Just a thought...

Since his last shot was March 25th, I'd wait another few days, and make an appointment for the 26th, so as to be "after" the 5 months, as recommended here.

That's actually a good idea to wait as he is scheduled for bloodwork to be done on Friday 9/03.   So maybe we will wait to get done next weekend (8/28 or 8/29)

• Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 12:16 AM, Bailey & Sophie said:

I've seen recipes on-line for this. It looks like it's easy to make.

On 8/18/2021 at 1:37 PM, dani negreanu said:

Joining all the wonderful wishes above, especially the ones doubling the length of married bliss💕

Also wishing everyone with anniversaries many more to come. 

On 8/18/2021 at 1:43 PM, dani negreanu said:

So happy for you.

Equinox is an amazing ship. We were lucky to see the glass blowing show, skipping even dinner to see it twice 😁

We also saw the glass show and the last time we got to make a couple of glass ornaments ourselves. Mostly we just helped with our ornament. 😁 We also purchased the fish that they had made.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Every other week out state Dep. Of Health has an update meeting for physicians in the state. They seem to always mention what is going on in Israel. You folks seem to be a barometer for what we should shortly be expecting here.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Debbie, I'm glad you heard back from the doctor...probably the outcome you were hoping to hear about getting Eric a booster shot sooner, rather than later.  Do you think you will then go on the cruise you were considering?

Also....I felt that I saw somewhere that LBI has a secondhand book store???  If so, do you know offhand where it is?  TIA

Still on the fence about our Oasis Sailing for 9.26     

Yes, I love the book store.   It is located on 2nd level of Bay Village.   LBI Book Swap.

https://www.lbibookswap.com/

If you go take a bunch of used books with you, they will give you a stamped card for however many books you bring then you get a discount for each used book (or new book) you buy.     I have a bag of books I read this summer that I will take with me next time there.     You can expect to pay $2 to $5 for any used book (not much of a discount for new books).    

Also wanted to add, that used books can be New Releases.   I have taken and I have bought new released thru the swap / discount program.    Usually pay about $5 for them.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, jagsfan said:

Looks like a fried green tomato pizza…which I’d like to try!

Bad lighting.  It’s a yellow tomato, Azoychka.  First time to grow them.  

I made the the pizza sauce, which turned out great, from the garden.  Amish Paste tomatoes, onions, garlic, and basil.  I also added a little salt, sugar and oregano.  

‘The dough is a blend made for ovens.  I bake in a convection oven at 550.  9CD92A1C-A9DF-44E5-B328-484846765D5B.thumb.jpeg.985de0981ca7f001bdd403e39940bb8e.jpeg

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

You folks seem to be a barometer for what we should shortly be expecting here.

As I understand, US and UK are already "following" us with the 3rd shot, US even "free for all", whereas here, since we were "against" the FDA's recommendations, it was gradually, wary about potential side effects -- 1st those 60+, after 2 weeks 50+, and from today -- even DS1 (40.5) has an appointment for Monday.

To our advantage (and also in favor of other countries), we have 4 very organized and computerized health associations, which can easily provide data about ages, gender, side effects, etc. Vaxxed or not.

Easier to research.

Should you have time [and inclination 😁], Prof. Gili Regev-Yochai is the leading lady researching Covid vaccinations since the beginning, in the biggest hospital here [also renown worldwide].

I'm attaching from PubMed one of her articles, published in the prestigious Lancet --

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7906709/

• Like 3

On 8/18/2021 at 4:33 PM, reallyitsmema said:

This is the smaller one. 

54FB51E3-5B43-4C1F-BFBE-A73A6BC53651.jpeg

So pretty, but so destructive.

On 8/18/2021 at 12:16 AM, Bailey & Sophie said:

I've seen recipes on-line for this. It looks like it's easy to make.

Add a little rum and it’s even better. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Coralc said:

It's not as bad today in Hayward, as it was a couple of days ago. AQI is only showing 69 today, it was 130 a couple of days ago. :classic_biggrin: It still looks orangey. :classic_smile:

3 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

The past few days whenever I look outside, there's a tinge of orange color due to the wild fire smoke. At night when I look up at the moon, it's pale orange.

Not as bad as last year when it was so orange outside that I thought I was transported to Mars. 

It's been so hazy here that you can see the sun in the sky with your naked eye.  One orange ball.  The moon was orange last night, too.  With the haze and smoke, makes it feel like Star Wars, on the planet Tatooine.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 1:26 PM, lenquixote66 said:

One of my daughters has been cutting her husbands hair and her dogs hair .She never cut hair prior to the pandemic.

I tried to cut Mike’s hair and he said never again. 😁  He has been doing a good job of it himself. Maybe when all this settles down he will start going back to have someone else cut it, but for now he does it.

On 8/19/2021 at 3:50 PM, molly361 said:

Me too  it stinks!!  Never been tested before this

I have been wanting to book a cruise for September. I’m concerned that either the pcr test won’t be back in time since more people are getting tested. CVS isn’t taking any antigen test appts until shortly before the time you need to be tested. I have started to look for other places so I will have to see what I find. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Beautiful grandchildren.   Love their little school uniforms too!    

Are they allowed to wear the fancy decorated sneakers to school or I guess not with the uniforms?

Thanks!  What I am understanding they can were different color tennis shoes on regular days.  More dressed up on special days.  On Friday’s they can wear Academy shirts, jerseys, etc.106FCA37-30A9-4D20-96CA-18ABFD1A6A4D.thumb.jpeg.7211aa8b76d7f269effc3e6805a2a13d.jpeg

• Like 12