Will cruise lines be next?

beerman2

The federal government Just today mandated that cancelled flights need to be reimbursed rather than receive future certicate for another flight that has stipulations on when to book/fly by.

Are the cruise lines next?? 

They acted being  so many complaints being filed.  Maybe those complaining to cruise lines about FCC or rebate need to voice their concerns to the Feds.

• Like 2

american airlines game me a hard time rebooking another filght and told me cant change it again.  thats bs , if governers are extending stay at homes then why cant we rebook as many times as we need during this time? 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I guess you could be right. I rec'd an email today from Delta offering my a full refund for my flight from Buf to TPa last month.  Is this a sign airlines are attempting to do the "right thing"?

Only because the Feds told the airlines that's what they  have to do. It wasn't due to the airlines voluntarily doing the "right thing".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

american airlines game me a hard time rebooking another filght and told me cant change it again.  thats bs , if governers are extending stay at homes then why cant we rebook as many times as we need during this time? 

It's an ever changing scene for sure. I don't think being we rebooked and accepted the airlines terms we can change to the rebate/refund.

At least that's what I've been told. Airline rep I'm dealing with had no knowledge of Feds mandate.

I am not sure how the government of the USA could tell them anything they HAVE to do.  They are not owners, board members, nor does the cruise line (NCL) keep in HQ in the USA mainland.  Pretty sure they could just tell the government to leave them alone.  It's not like they have a bail out being offered as incentive (nor do they need it).

• Like 1

This might not apply to everyone. Reading the article, it seems like the refunds are due when the airline cancels the flight.

In the case where you have a cruise booked (for example) and that cruise is cancelled and you call the airline to cancel your flight since you no longer need it, I don't believe they would have to give you a refund since you backed out and the flight was not cancelled.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, beerman2 said:

The federal government Just today mandated that cancelled flights need to be reimbursed rather than receive future certicate for another flight that has stipulations on when to book/fly by.

Are the cruise lines next??

Are there any cruise lines that aren't already offering refunds if the cruise lines cancel?

Edited by Named-Tawny

2 hours ago, julig22 said:

Currently NCL is offering full refunds so I don't understand the issue.

The issue is NCL offers full refund but seems to be trying to force FCC.  On 3/23/2020 I submitted the form requesting full refund in lieu of FCC for my 4/05/2020 canceled cruise.    Today I received email from NCL offering FCC even though I requested a refund!!!  They are offering BONUS credit of 25% & if you purchased their Essentials, Book Safe Standard or Platinum Travel Protection plan you will receive additional future cruise credit worth the value of your travel protection plan.  Also for a limited time only you get an additional 20% discount on any sailing from 7/1/2020 thru 12/31/2022 when you book by 4/14/2020!  

NCL is trying anything to keep our money.  There’s no telling when the  COVID-19 will get under control & a vaccine becomes available.  We don’t know when we will be able to cruise again!!!!

44 minutes ago, Ozzieru1e said:

The issue is NCL offers full refund but seems to be trying to force FCC.  On 3/23/2020 I submitted the form requesting full refund in lieu of FCC for my 4/05/2020 canceled cruise.    Today I received email from NCL offering FCC even though I requested a refund!!!  They are offering BONUS credit of 25% & if you purchased their Essentials, Book Safe Standard or Platinum Travel Protection plan you will receive additional future cruise credit worth the value of your travel protection plan.  Also for a limited time only you get an additional 20% discount on any sailing from 7/1/2020 thru 12/31/2022 when you book by 4/14/2020!  

NCL is trying anything to keep our money.  There’s no telling when the  COVID-19 will get under control & a vaccine becomes available.  We don’t know when we will be able to cruise again!!!!

Of course NCL wants to give you fcc.  They preloaded fcc into everyone's account because that is a very simple process as well as marketing technique.  The fact that your fcc showed up after you requested a refund is just bad timing - most of us got the email some time ago.  It doesn't mean they are forcing anything.  Their only other option would have been to have no default and require everyone to make a choice.  No company that believes they will be able to resume business would offer cash refunds as the default option.

Edited by julig22
  • Like 1

I think NCL system automatically issues a FCC into your NCL account.  However, if you wish a refund, just fill out the form and they will send your a check and delete the FCC from your account.    Sort of a 2 step process.  

Did you not read this:?

Updated 03/30/2020    Your safety is our #1 priority—both on and off our ships. Due to the current global environment, we are extending the suspension of all sailings across our fleet through May 10, 2020 and plan to relaunch cruise operations with embarkations beginning May 11, 2020. We are thinking of each and every one of you, and together we will return to our favourite place - the ocean, stronger than ever.

Guests who were booked on suspended cruises will automatically receive a 125% or 150% refund of their cruise fare in the form of a Future Cruise Credit which can be applied towards any Norwegian Cruise Line voyage through December 31, 2022. Future Cruise Credits will be applied to your account by April 1, 2020.

EMBARKATION DATES
FUTURE CRUISE CREDIT
March 13 to March 17, 2020 150% of cruise fare
March 18 to May 10, 2020 125% of cruise fare

We’re also giving an additional 20% discount when you book by April 14, 2020 using your Future Cruise Credit on cruises embarking July 1, 2020 - December 31, 2022! This discount will be automatically applied when you book online.

Guests who do not prefer to take advantage of a future cruise credit will receive a refund to be payable after 90 days from completion of the Refund Form below. Refund requests must be submitted by April 27, 2020 for all suspended sailings.

Please note that if your suspended sailing was scheduled to embark between April 12 - May 10, 2020, you will not be able to request your refund through this form until April 13, 2020.

Edited by SAPMAN
addiition
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, SAPMAN said:

I think NCL system automatically issues a FCC into your NCL account.  However, if you wish a refund, just fill out the form and they will send your a check and delete the FCC from your account.    Sort of a 2 step process.  

Did you not read this:?

Updated 03/30/2020    Your safety is our #1 priority—both on and off our ships. Due to the current global environment, we are extending the suspension of all sailings across our fleet through May 10, 2020 and plan to relaunch cruise operations with embarkations beginning May 11, 2020. We are thinking of each and every one of you, and together we will return to our favourite place - the ocean, stronger than ever.

Guests who were booked on suspended cruises will automatically receive a 125% or 150% refund of their cruise fare in the form of a Future Cruise Credit which can be applied towards any Norwegian Cruise Line voyage through December 31, 2022. Future Cruise Credits will be applied to your account by April 1, 2020.

EMBARKATION DATES
FUTURE CRUISE CREDIT
March 13 to March 17, 2020 150% of cruise fare
March 18 to May 10, 2020 125% of cruise fare

We’re also giving an additional 20% discount when you book by April 14, 2020 using your Future Cruise Credit on cruises embarking July 1, 2020 - December 31, 2022! This discount will be automatically applied when you book online.

Guests who do not prefer to take advantage of a future cruise credit will receive a refund to be payable after 90 days from completion of the Refund Form below. Refund requests must be submitted by April 27, 2020 for all suspended sailings.

Please note that if your suspended sailing was scheduled to embark between April 12 - May 10, 2020, you will not be able to request your refund through this form until April 13, 2020.

I submitted a refund form on 3/23/2020 for my canceled 4/05/2020 cruise.  I guess I have to submit the form again and see what happens.

Just now, The Wanderer_112358 said:

Um, have you gotten any of that "full refund"?  No?

1.  I didn't apply for a refund on cruise #1

2.  If I choose to apply for a refund on cruise #2 I will apply at the designated time.

Just to point out, NCL didn't cause the problems.  They keep saying we're all in this together.  Hopefully none of you will lose jobs and/or businesses because they can't ride out the current storm.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I guess you could be right. I rec'd an email today from Delta offering my a full refund for my flight from Buf to TPa last month.  Is this a sign airlines are attempting to do the "right thing"?

What were your travel dates?  We got Delta credits but no email.  No refund yet.

I posted that senators were asking airlines to refund a couple days back but hadn't seen mandate.

AA flat told them to blow it out their ear.  Others hadn't commented at time.

My flight was Mar. 28th from Buffalo to Tampa. I paid the 1 day deviation.  My flight wasn't free, it was reduced to $150 approx. So Delta offered that refund in the form of a future flight. 

Had to go dig up the letter from Delta:

We are extending your flight credits even further

We’ve listened, and we know that in these times of rapid change, you want the value of your ticket to be secure and redeemable for a longer period. As a result, we are now extending your eCredit for up to two years.

All applicable eCredits will be automatically extended for travel to be completed through May 31, 2022, so there’s no action needed on your part. Delta is working on a solution to display the new expiration dates on Delta.com, so even if your eCredit for canceled travel has not yet been processed or extended, rest assured that your flight value is secure. If you are ready to book your new trip now and don’t yet see your eCredit or have an issue booking via delta.com, please have your old ticket number ready when you call our Reservations team. 

Your eCredit can be applied toward a new flight, and in some instances a fare difference will apply. If the new fare is lower, you’ll retain the balance on your eCredit. If the new fare is higher, the difference will be collected. 

Have questions or need more information?

Please visit our Coronavirus Travel Updates page or Need Help page.

Thank you for your continued support.

This situation remains fluid, and, like you, we’re continuing to learn more as we go. Please know that we are committing the utmost care and attention into crafting our travel waiver policies. It’s why we’ll continue to evaluate them as the environment changes for you, our employees and our business. Thank you for your continued support as we work through this challenge. Above all, your care and safety is our top priority.

Edited by All-ready2cruise
Add info

23 hours ago, SeaShark said:

This might not apply to everyone. Reading the article, it seems like the refunds are due when the airline cancels the flight.

In the case where you have a cruise booked (for example) and that cruise is cancelled and you call the airline to cancel your flight since you no longer need it, I don't believe they would have to give you a refund since you backed out and the flight was not cancelled.

except for example the gov of florida for example says you will be quarantined for 2 weeks if you take a flight to florida. then you should have every right to cancel even if it was for a cruise or whatever. (at least let your rebook no charge)

1 hour ago, seaman11 said:

except for example the gov of florida for example says you will be quarantined for 2 weeks if you take a flight to florida. then you should have every right to cancel even if it was for a cruise or whatever. (at least let your rebook no charge)

Not the point. The airline has to give you a refund if the airline cancels a flight (no matter what their reason is for doing so). They do not have to give you a refund if YOU cancel the the flight (no matter what your reason is for doing so). Nobody ever said you couldn't cancel...heck, you can cancel for any reason you want...or no reason at all. You just aren't entitled to a refund if you do so. 

• Like 1