Is the Koningsdam heading back to the Caribbean

rjbean4

43 minutes ago, maxsales said:

I would think that would be expensive as they would probably be charged canal transit fees for every lifeboat. It might be cheaper to send them by train. 

Apparently you haven't read this entire thread. I posted earlier that I believe that it would cost about $2000 per boat.  However, not all would have to be floated through. Some of the smaller (turtle-shell) might be stored on deck, but that would require cranes on each end and supporting cradles. Shipping the large tenders by train would also require cranes, plus the costs and difficulty of getting them to/from the train, plus the train cost. That might all add up to more than $2000 each. 

Or maybe the Canal Authority will let the ship just go through one time with the boats in place. I'm sure HAL has calculated the best way. We'll just have to watch.

Edited by catl331

When I was in the Coast Guard, the ship I was on was transfered from the Atlantic to the Pacific. Even though scheduled, a US warship, and the Canal was still under US jurisdiction, we anchored for two days in Limon Bay before beginning our transit. Seeing as it is not a passenger cruise, it may not have an immediate slot.

Edited by Heartgrove

Seems that KDM is using her dynamic positioning system and is not at anchor.  If that is correct, then it would indicate an reasonably short wait.  Otherwise she would drop anchor and wait with the others.

1 hour ago, catl331 said:

Apparently you haven't read this entire thread. I posted earlier that I believe that it would cost about $2000 per boat.  However, not all would have to be floated through. Some of the smaller (turtle-shell) might be stored on deck, but that would require cranes on each end and supporting cradles. Shipping the large tenders by train would also require cranes, plus the costs and difficulty of getting them to/from the train, plus the train cost. That might all add up to more than $2000 each. 

Or maybe the Canal Authority will let the ship just go through one time with the boats in place. I'm sure HAL has calculated the best way. We'll just have to watch.

You are correct. I quote a post when I read it .

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Seems that KDM is using her dynamic positioning system and is not at anchor.  If that is correct, then it would indicate an reasonably short wait.  Otherwise she would drop anchor and wait with the others.

AIS now shows her with her hook dropped playing the waiting game off Colon

Edited by Copper10-8

Marine Traffic is reporting an ATA of the Limon Bay Anchorage at 09:24 LT (UTC-3) today with an ETA to Cristobal (the first lock) on 2020-4-18 09:00 LT (UTC-5). If this is true (and I am reading it correctly), the Koningsdam will be at anchor until Sunday, April 18.

12 minutes ago, Himself said:

Has it already been given permission to enter the canal or is this a hope?

It is waiting for an opening.

As I said before it is likely to do a night time transit as it is cheaper.
The Agua Clara locks are only single locks, not parallel like Gatun Locks. So you have to wait for all outbound traffic to clear then the direction changes and starts going the other way.
As I type this there appears 1 more freighter Ever Legion that needs to go outbound before the switch would occur.
I am not saying it will happen tonight but it could.

Also passing in Culebra Cut is limited.

I also suspect that Koningsdam will take on fuel once it reaches the Pacific side.

47 minutes ago, Seacruise said:

It is waiting for an opening.
As I said before it is likely to do a night time transit as it is cheaper.

A day time transit may be in the cards if the K has boats (life boats)  in the water.

The April 18 transit date would come at the end of a quarantine time frame...... 

maybe someone can do the math on that. 

Edited by Boatdrill

2 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Marine Traffic is reporting an ATA of the Limon Bay Anchorage at 09:24 LT (UTC-3) today with an ETA to Cristobal (the first lock) on 2020-4-18 09:00 LT (UTC-5). If this is true (and I am reading it correctly), the Koningsdam will be at anchor until Sunday, April 18.

So we will just have to keep a eye on the info that Marine Traffic is displaying as I just found the same thing. At least if this is the transit date and time we all know when the watch party will be.

7 hours ago, Himself said:

Has it already been given permission to enter the canal or is this a hope?

I'm sure they wouldn't have backtracked all that distance from Brazil if they only had a hope of going through!  😃

• Haha 1

Interesting conundrum:  I have Marine traffic open on two sites.  The Marine traffic site lists destination as CTB;  the other  site is embedded in another website and it shows destination for 4/18 as US SPQ.  SPQ is the port identifier of the Catalina Air/sea terminal in San Pedro.  Tis a puzzlement.  EM