Is the Koningsdam heading back to the Caribbean

rjbean4

Don't forget folks, she is empty of passengers, their baggage, probably lower on food supplies and fuel too, so her draught will be lighter by (at a guess) 500 - 600 Tons. Maybe just enought to allow her to ride “higher” in the water and allow clearance for the lifeboats! 

Edited by NannaPop

Wow!  I made it in time to watch the Koningsdam start her passage of the Canal.  It is nice that she is being allowed to do it in the daytime - I suppose safer, too, for such a "big girl".  Captain Timmers will have more stories to tell!  He is such an interesting man.  He was Master of the K when we were on board last year and we went to all of his talks on sea days.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, catl331 said:

I'm sure the bow and stern cams are on, but I've never known them to be fed to web from any HAL ship.

cruising.com one can access the port or ships webcam.  I might go check it out.

still very exciting to watch this . 

14 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

The only time I've ever seen that type of boat used as a tender was when Oasis of the Seas took a sick crew member to Fort Lauderdale.  Otherwise, never.

That is very odd. I would think they'd use the small, fast boat that is designed for man-overboard rescues and such. Maybe the OoS doesn't have one?

Or was the weather bad? IIRC HAL's rescue boats don't have a lot of cover.

Edited by catl331

3 minutes ago, catl331 said:

That is very odd. I would think they'd use the small, fast boat that is designed for man-overboard rescues and such. Maybe the OoS doesn't have one?

I don't remember if she has one but it might not have been used due to the weather.

Roy

On her way out and into the lake. Sure she will be taking her time unlike the warp speed transits that Zaandam and Rotterdam did. See them on the Pacific side later this afternoon provided she keeps going and doesn't sit in the lake for some reason.

5 minutes ago, rjbean4 said:

On her way out and into the lake. Sure she will be taking her time unlike the warp speed transits that Zaandam and Rotterdam did. See them on the Pacific side later this afternoon provided she keeps going and doesn't sit in the lake for some reason.

Isn't this Agua Clara, on the Atlantic side - she'll be heading out into the sea, surely?

And here I thought she was going to join her sisters in the Bahamas!  Is she going to California?

Coffee hasn't kicked in yet - or course, she was coming up the coast of Brazil, wasn't she?

Edited by Vict0riann

She has left the Agua Clara locks. These locks are on the Atlantic side of the canal. Sometimes ships sit in Gatun lake waiting to transit the Atlantic side locks or for traffic to go through the lake, pass Gamboa and go through Gaillard Cut. The area between Gamboa at the Locks on the Pacific side is one way traffic because that area is not wide enough for two way traffic. Then on the Pacific side she will use the Cocoli lock which is the new lock on the Pacific side. Keep a eye on her on Marine Traffic. That will tell us. Then there is also a webcam for the lock on the Pacific side and will also be seen on the Pedro Miguel lock camera as she approaches the lock. Also most people don't realize that transiting the canal is actually done in a more north - south direction. They will also cross the Continental Divide before passing under the Centenial Bridge (smaller look alike of our Sunshine Skyway Bridge) and then after they are out of the Cocoli Lock will go under the Bridge of the Americas. My mom and I have gone all the way through 7 times and a number of partial transits on the Atlantic side.

Here is the link to find all the webcams for the canal.

https://multimedia.panama-canal.com/index.html

Edited by rjbean4

1 hour ago, rjbean4 said:

And where is Copper?  Is  he missing this?

I sure did, but it's good to know and see K-dam, with her tenders/lifeboats housed, just set precedent with her canal transit. She's also the third HAL ship in a two week period to have gone through the new locks. All good stuff!

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

I sure did, but it's good to know and see K-dam, with her tenders/lifeboats housed, just set precedent with her canal transit. She's also the third HAL ship in a two week period to have gone through the new locks. All good stuff!

AWESOME. Wasn't sure cause we hadn't heard from you. So was the lifeboat issue because they block the view from the bridge wings as it looked like the clearance of the boats extending out over the side was OK. Also did it make a difference to do this since there were no passengers on board for some reason and the way the ship could have been a little higher in the water because of this. And some of us are 3 for 3 watching those 3 transits. Yipppy Skippy.

Edited by rjbean4