CRUISE REFUND RECEIVED

Twogreynomads

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

I would expect ABTA to receive government backing and refunds will become a thing of the past. 

Andy 

and at that action by ABTA who will ever want to pay in advanced again? 

P&O are still asking for cruises to be paid today knowing these people will be angry ex customers in a few months.

I personally believe the trust has already gone.

In my business I have only ever gone to court with non paying customers when they have stopped communicating and my belief is to be first in the queue with the bailiffs.  I hope I am wrong in my thoughts this time and receive my refund shortly, along with many others.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

45 days today.

Got cut off several times by P&O then finally after 30 minutes of music the ring tone came on, someone answered and when I said hello they hung up.

Next tried our TA. After 90 minutes of the same tune I finally got through but the agent couldn't help and promised to ring back in 2 hours when he could tell us something ( Still Waiting for his call)!!

I was thinking of you earlier Graham as I remember you said that today was the deadline. Getting cut off after a long wait has to be one of the most irritating things, but given what you’ve been through in the recent past try not to let it get you too wound up. Easy to say, I know, and I don’t practice what I preach!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hampshire Steve said:

and at that action by ABTA who will ever want to pay in advanced again? 

P&O are still asking for cruises to be paid today knowing these people will be angry ex customers in a few months.

I personally believe the trust has already gone.

In my business I have only ever gone to court with non paying customers when they have stopped communicating and my belief is to be first in the queue with the bailiffs.  I hope I am wrong in my thoughts this time and receive my refund shortly, along with many others.

Some retailers already do it, it doesn't stop people buying if the offer is right. 

As you understand, they are not refusing to pay or saying they can't pay, so not many solicitors would advise you to pursue... 

Andy 

14 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I was not suggesting they were right, but when everyone does the same, they are inevitably stronger.

This is already proven in that they are breaking the law with absolutely no consequences.. Nobody is challenging them. 

What damage do you think can be done to a company that is possibly already on the brink?

They won't get away with it for long, clarification will have to happen. I would expect ABTA to receive government backing and refunds will become a thing of the past. 

Andy 

As I stated above at least one person has challenged them and who knows who else might be doing so quietly in the background. Those being quiet and patient may just be the ones to wait.

Your  views on the government position are interesting. They have held out so far against ABTA who have made several representations to date. If the gov think making customers provide unsecured long term loans to holiday company’s is a vote loser, they probably won’t do it. Only time will tell.

32 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Just heard from my TA that he has also heard that P&O are refunding customers direct even if they have paid through a TA.  So that's interesting.  I am at 44 days and nothing received.   I would have much preferred the refund to go straight into my bank.  Cheques are a pain if you live in a village without a bank, but think I might be able to do it on my phone, that is if I ever get the refund cheque!!

Cheques can indeed be a pain.  Some banks have apps that allow you scan the cheque and pay in via the app, but there are limits to the size of the cheque.  And of course the banks opening times may be more restricted.  My nearest Santander is currently only open for four hours a day, three days a week.

I had to pop over there to pay in a cheque today.  A pleasant walk though, and bizarre to see Leigh on Sea so quiet on a lovely spring morning.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I wouldn’t hold your breathe for it.

I’ll be interested however to hear what they say if you do get a reply.

It is one after another continuous fob off.

The P&O customer relations reps email today said she is out of the office until May 4th.

Sent another email to Paul Ludlow and another rep emailed back saying she will look into our refund !!

5 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Cheques can indeed be a pain.  Some banks have apps that allow you scan the cheque and pay in via the app, but there are limits to the size of the cheque.  And of course the banks opening times may be more restricted.  My nearest Santander is currently only open for four hours a day, three days a week.

I had to pop over there to pay in a cheque today.  A pleasant walk though, and bizarre to see Leigh on Sea so quiet on a lovely spring morning.

Yes just read I can only deposit a cheque of up to £500.  What use is that!!

14 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

As I stated above at least one person has challenged them and who knows who else might be doing so quietly in the background. Those being quiet and patient may just be the ones to wait.

Your  views on the government position are interesting. They have held out so far against ABTA who have made several representations to date. If the gov think making customers provide unsecured long term loans to holiday company’s is a vote loser, they probably won’t do it. Only time will tell.

They also need to stop the economy from collapsing... 

We are not in normal times. 

Imagine the conversation, we can pay in 2 months or go bust? 

Lots of people will be challenging them, but with no refusal to pay, It will be interesting to see the outcome... 

Andy 

15 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

They also need to stop the economy from collapsing... 

We are not in normal times. 

Imagine the conversation, we can pay in 2 months or go bust? 

Lots of people will be challenging them, but with no refusal to pay, It will be interesting to see the outcome... 

Andy 

Not an easy balancing act for the government.

Not paying within the legal timeframe is a technical refusal to pay. Allowing the company the time to pay the debt that they have requested is reasonable. After that the company are in default to that agreement.

It will indeed be interesting to see the outcome.

Edited by Eglesbrech
Add info

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Saga do have a policy that if the price drops to below what you paid, you will be refunded the difference. Seems pretty fair to me.

P&O did a similar policy under Carol Marlow but when it came to the crunch of people trying to apply it when cruise prices dropped they were referred to the small print in the T&Cs and it turned out the policy, widely advertised, wasnt worth the paper it was written on and caught out many. The headlines sounded great but the devil was in the small print.

Edited by majortom10

53 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Not an easy balancing act for the government.

Not paying within the legal timeframe is a technical refusal to pay. Allowing the company the time to pay the debt that they have requested is reasonable. After that the company are in default to that agreement.

It will indeed be interesting to see the outcome.

And what has happened with their 'technical refusal to pay'?

Absolutely nothing. 

As I said, in these circumstances, they would be given time. 

It's wrong, it's illegal but it's happening. 

Andy 

27 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

And what has happened with their 'technical refusal to pay'?

Absolutely nothing. 

As I said, in these circumstances, they would be given time. 

It's wrong, it's illegal but it's happening. 

Andy 

We don’t know that for sure Andy and they have been given time. They have defaulted on that time.

As you say it is wrong, it is illegal and someone somewhere will have challenged it and won, we just won’t get to hear about it as P&O regularly use NDRs.

17 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

We don’t know that for sure Andy and they have been given time. They have defaulted on that time.

As you say it is wrong, it is illegal and someone somewhere will have challenged it and won, we just won’t get to hear about it as P&O regularly use NDRs.

Even if someone has challenged and won, it has made no difference to the majority and very little difference to P&O.. 

Andy 

4 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Even if someone has challenged and won, it has made no difference to the majority and very little difference to P&O.. 

Andy 

Very true, they will just pay up before it hits a court.

I do think it will damage the brand longer term however if they keep holding on to money that no longer belongs to them, I may be wrong as people somethings have short memories.

On another subject the business of issuing cheques which some have mentioned is a potential issue as well for how people feel in future. It makes it very difficult for anyone who is being shielded to cash or anyone in rural areas where some banks are too far away to walk to and in some cases on short hours or closed at the moment.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I do think it will damage the brand longer term however if they keep holding on to money that no longer belongs to them, I may be wrong as people somethings have short memories.

On another subject the business of issuing cheques which some have mentioned is a potential issue as well for how people feel in future. It makes it very difficult for anyone who is being shielded to cash or anyone in rural areas where some banks are too far away to walk to and in some cases on short hours or closed at the moment.

We booked through a TA but I wonder if those who booked direct will get a cheque because P&O will have their credit/debit card details and Bacs payments take about 3 hours.

10 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

The problem is, many holiday companies are doing the same, so we will be left with little choice, although I will try to make an effort to support companies that looked after their staff and customers, but I doubt it will be long before I remember the good holidays we have had and book with P&O for the same reasons I always have, good value. 

As for cheques, who uses them these days? Bank transfers or return on card should be the only acceptable means of payment, but these travel companies just seem to be doing what they like with minimal consequences... 

Andy 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I agree that cheques are often a pain and that even the ability to pay them in online is limited (£1k in my banks case), but you can pay them in by post. My bank is 15 miles away and open reduced hours, but I posted a cheque to them recently and it was credited to my account within 2 working days. I am awaiting a refund from P&O of almost £5k, so if that is refunded to my credit card it will sit as a surplus until I spend it, which will take 2-3 months, whereas a cheque will put the whole amount in my current account within days. My credit card provider is a different bank to my current account, so I’m not sure if I can withdraw the credit, so I guess there’s pros and cons both ways. Of course, if you aren’t able to post a letter, or get someone to do it for you, then a cheque is a complete pain. 

On phone to p&o now. My 45 day’s is Wednesday. They are assuming it will be in within the next week but they can’t guarantee this and are still sticking with unprecedented time etc etc. 

Which is ok but to be fair we are all giving them a lot of time to get this all done when the “law” is supposed to be 14 days. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I agree that cheques are often a pain and that even the ability to pay them in online is limited (£1k in my banks case), but you can pay them in by post. My bank is 15 miles away and open reduced hours, but I posted a cheque to them recently and it was credited to my account within 2 working days. I am awaiting a refund from P&O of almost £5k, so if that is refunded to my credit card it will sit as a surplus until I spend it, which will take 2-3 months, whereas a cheque will put the whole amount in my current account within days. My credit card provider is a different bank to my current account, so I’m not sure if I can withdraw the credit, so I guess there’s pros and cons both ways. Of course, if you aren’t able to post a letter, or get someone to do it for you, then a cheque is a complete pain. 

My one worry, well one of many, is ' the cheques in the post'.. 

We will be relying on a stretched post office twice if we then need to post it to our banks.. 

Seems very archaic... 

Andy 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

We will be relying on a stretched post office twice if we then need to post it to our banks.. 

Seems very archaic... 

Andy 

I have to say that old chestnut came to my mind when I heard that as well. I thought the days if that excuse were long gone.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Seems very archaic... 

Andy 

My preferred option would be to provide P&O with my sort code and account number and they BACS transfer the money, but that’s not an option. Shame, as I’ve been able to do that with a few other companies. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes me too, but having paid the TA by credit card, if P&O are refunding me direct, then it will be a cheque.

Ah, I see. I booked direct with P&O and paid by credit card so, presumably, mine will be refunded to that card. 

Well my conversation went well. The phone has just cut off after 40 mins on the phone. I assume they finish work at 5 since I just tried to call again and it said closed. 

my £250 compensation I had for a complaint last year needs to either be refunded or transferred to my other cruise. They needed to get manager authorisation for this but this doesn’t seem to be happening 

plus it’s a bit of a waiting game with the p&o refund. I’ve decided they have until 11th May before I will start a different process. 

We aren’t in the position where we need the money but we are getting there very fast.