Convince me.

jonthomas

We have a cruise booked with Oceania for Dec/Jan 2020 on the Riviera in the Carib.  From all the signs, I know it will not happen.

We will not give final dep, in fact will cancel 120 before sail date to avoid admin fee. I learned to do that from someone here and I am grateful. 

We have a $500 dep on it. Would probably make sense to cancel it now. Taking a real chance waiting, since if they go bankrupt , we will see none of it.

So I have not taken my own advice, to cancel now and hope to get it back, while there may still be some money in the coffers. 

There is nothing to gain by waiting.  Seems that I am just hanging on to it for emotional reasons not rational ones. Need someone to convince me to take my own advice and cancel now. 

Edited by jonthomas
spacing

I would. If ships are cruising by then you could easily re-book this or another Carib cruise without any problem.

I doubt very much people will be rushing to cruise anytime really soon.

Get your cash back now before they'll offer FCC only.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

We have a cruise booked with Oceania for Dec/Jan 2020 on the Riviera in the Carib.  From all the signs, I know it will not happen.

We will not give final dep, in fact will cancel 120 before sail date to avoid admin fee. I learned to do that from someone here and I am grateful. 

You need to cancel 121 days  to avoid the admin fee  if your cruise is 14 days or less

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005306234-What-is-your-cancellation-and-refund-policy-

The following cancellation charges will be assessed for all written cancellations received up to the scheduled time of departure.

Cruises 14 days or Less:

DAYS PRIOR TO CRUISE SAIL DATE - CANCELLATION AMOUNT 
91-120 Days Prior - $250 per guest administrative fee+
76-90 Days Prior - 25% of Fare 
61-75 Days Prior - 50% of Fare 
31-60 Days Prior - 75% of Fare 
0-30 Days Prior - 100% of Fare

For Owner's, Vista and Oceania Suites, the administrative fee for 91-120 days prior to sailing is 10% of the fare. 

Cruises 15 days or more except 180-Day Voyages: 

DAYS PRIOR TO CRUISE SAIL DATE - CANCELLATION AMOUNT 
151-180 Days Prior - $250 per guest administrative fee+
121-150 Days Prior - 25% of Fare 
91-120 Days Prior - 50% of Fare 
61-90 Days Prior - 75% of Fare 
0-60 Days Prior - 100% of Fare

For Owner's, Vista and Oceania Suites, the administrative fee for 151-180 days prior to sailing is 10% of the fare.

180-Day Voyages 

Deposit-181 Days Prior - $250 per guest 
151-180 Days Prior - 25% of Fare 
121-150 Days Prior - 50% of Fare 
91-120 Days Prior - 75% of Fare 
0-90 Days Prior - 100% of Fare

For Owner's and Vista Suites, the administrative fee for Deposit-181 days prior to sailing is 10% of the fare.

+The Administrative Fee may be converted to a future cruise credit redeemable on bookings made up to 12 months after cancellation date and for travel within two years of issue. 

Yes I understand. We booked this on board.  Then switched it to an inside when it became available.  Very few of those available. So I am hanging on to it beyond all reason. I know logically it is not going to happen, not until 2021 and not without all kinds of changes and restrictions in place.

No such cruise over Christmas/ New years to switch it to for 2021. And if there is even a threat of bankruptcy, why would I not cancel now.  Hey even 500 is a lot of money. 

FWIW, I'm on the side of "carry on" with the original plan. We have a 30 day Athens to Dubai cruise coming up in November that we fully intend to take unless it is cancelled by Oceania (in which case, we will receive, at least,  a 100% refund (as expected by the Oceania T&Cs and due to the US FMC financial reserve requirements imposed on cruise lines operating in the U.S.). Of course, we also plan to use two recently provided  time-limited Future Cruise Credits (associated with recent modified/cancelled Asia region cruises) to pay the bulk of our final payment, which is due in June. So, the risk is somewhat manageable in a worst case scenario (and, in all honesty, is a major reason why we'll take that risk).

Further, I believe that, if any NCLH line survives, it will be Oceania due to its manageable size, established passenger base and the relatively excellent management of what has always been FDR's "baby."

Also affecting our consideration is our recent experience on Nautica during February where, as we crossed the Indian Ocean with unending reminders about personal hygiene and the exceptional shipboard sanitation, we actually felt far safer than we did transiting four airports on the way home.

And then there's a reality check:

While preserving human life is clearly more important than financial well-being, the two are inexorably connected for all the obvious reasons.

That said, I expect that "back to work" allowances (world-wide) for all sorts of industries will soften by Autumn of this year - despite the challenges that will be presented to Social Distancing which, until there's a Covid-19 vaccine, is the best preventative measure (along with exceptional hygiene).

With the understanding that I am a generally a non-politically influenced person, I cannot dismiss the economic concerns that come with "lock-downs." Let's face it, there will need to be a better balance of health & welfare in Health & Welfare if Americans are to regain control of our lives..

9 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Yes I understand. We booked this on board.  Then switched it to an inside when it became available.  Very few of those available. So I am hanging on to it beyond all reason. I know logically it is not going to happen, not until 2021 and not without all kinds of changes and restrictions in place.

No such cruise over Christmas/ New years to switch it to for 2021. And if there is even a threat of bankruptcy, why would I not cancel now.  Hey even 500 is a lot of money. 

Are you trying to convince yourself not to cancel? 😉

It is your decision  in the end

Keep well  & stay at home

8 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

FWIW, I'm on the side of "carry on" with the original plan. We have a 30 day Athens to Dubai cruise coming up in November that we fully intend to take unless it is cancelled by Oceania

With all due respect this is a much different and unique itinerary than a Carib cruise that can be easily replaced - yours OTOH is a once a year at best.

I too would hang on to your cruise as long as feasible.

I recently booked the Riviera for 12-20, and will be going unless Oceania cancels.  Also have a Celebrity booked - TP - in Sept 2020.  Waiting on this one as well.  A kicker on the Celebrity cruise is the dreaded 'doctor's note'.  Although I have absolutely no underlying issues (only take Sudafed an Benadryl) age is a problem.

Donna

8 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

A kicker on the Celebrity cruise is the dreaded 'doctor's note'. 

Donna

Is this Mandatory on all their cruises  even after the pandemic is over?? 😲

That means you have faith that Oceania will still exist. But as some have said, there will be plenty of cruises to book. 

11 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

I recently booked the Riviera for 12-20, and will be going unless Oceania cancels.  Also have a Celebrity booked - TP - in Sept 2020.  Waiting on this one as well.  A kicker on the Celebrity cruise is the dreaded 'doctor's note'.  Although I have absolutely no underlying issues (only take Sudafed an Benadryl) age is a problem.

Donna

So you will make final payment, which is in August for the Riviera  12/20?

58 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Is this Mandatory on all their cruises  even after the pandemic is over?? 😲

If this "doctor's note" business continues, we'll have an Azamara future cruise credit that will be worthless. It is my hope that they will revisit this restriction.  We still have a reservation for a Marina sailing in Dec. 2020 that we have to decide about before any kind of penalty/cancellation fee kicks in.  

I am grateful to be healthy and having no problems sheltering in place. Truly  truly  grateful.

Edited by tgg

Yes definitely grateful. We came close to being stuck at sea as well. But were fortunate that Viking captain, turned right around back to Miami then flew us home. But that is easier to do when only 520 passengers on board. 

So you also have a  sailing in Dec 2020? Will you cancel before final payment? We will of course. But I am still thinking it is best to do it now. 

We did the same back-and-forth thinking that you're experiencing now. We talked it through over the weekend. On Monday, we cancelled our Jan 2021 Caribbean cruise that would have been aboard Riviera. TA told us that our deposit will be refunded by Oceania in 4-6 weeks. No second thoughts.

Best of luck with your decision.

Edited by Rob the Cruiser

I'm the dummy who was full steam ahead with the Tahiti- SF cruise... even when all the signs pointed to the wisdom of cancelling and giving up on the "I ain't afraid a no ghosts" attitude. I had to face my shame and write an apology of sorts right here. The only benefit was that O cancelled the 4/14/20 cruise before me so I got to choose the refund. (Haven't seen yet btw.)

As a "consolation prize" I put down a deposit on the same cruise for 4/4/21. Am I dummy again? Is it likely O will go under? Saddened but not surprised that the sentiment from many O regulars is a bit grim. Cat Gs are hard to come by on this cruise, yet so is $500.

Taking it a day at a time. Maybe the dummy hat fits too well.

• Like 1

We are currently working on rescheduling our July cruise on Uniworld. Far more immediate concern than our late November Oceania cruise. We’re over a month out before any admin fee kicks in for that cruise.

Our TA tells me many of her Oceania customers are cancelling all their cruises including those in 2021. Multi “ we’re waiting until “ with until be 2022 or later for some. If enough do so, bankruptcy can become a self fulfilling prophecy. All out go, no income. 

Bankruptcy is not the only option. The only thing constant in the universe is change. Oceania has certainly already changed and evolved since its creation. Its survival path forward may dictate another set of changes for the future. Those changes could well be dictated by their lenders. 

If Oceania’s current customers and demographics are choosing to take their money and walk, they are loudly stating they are Oceania’s past not its future. I could picture several scenarios that Oceania could explore to maintain its current premium image while instituting significant change to secure the future. 

Change is the only thing that’s certain.

24 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

I'm the dummy who was full steam ahead with the Tahiti- SF cruise... even when all the signs pointed to the wisdom of cancelling and giving up on the "I ain't afraid a no ghosts" attitude. I had to face my shame and write an apology of sorts right here. The only benefit was that O cancelled the 4/14/20 cruise before me so I got to choose the refund. (Haven't seen yet btw.)

As a "consolation prize" I put down a deposit on the same cruise for 4/4/21. Am I dummy again? Is it likely O will go under? Saddened but not surprised that the sentiment from many O regulars is a bit grim. Cat Gs are hard to come by on this cruise, yet so is $500.

Taking it a day at a time. Maybe the dummy hat fits too well.

Thank you for sharing this. 

1 hour ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

We did the same back-and-forth thinking that you're experiencing now. We talked it through over the weekend. On Monday, we cancelled our Jan 2021 Caribbean cruise that would have been aboard Riviera. TA told us that our deposit will be refunded by Oceania in 4-6 weeks. No second thoughts.

Best of luck with your decision.

The indecision on my part is only for a while longer. 

Will not make final payment. I have asked those that are giving final payment as to why they are doing that. Have not received any answers. 

I am grateful for all the thoughts and wisdom here and the ability to talk to people about this. Of course in the scheme of things I do realize that this is a very trivial dilemma. I am sure we are all dealing with all kinds of much more important issues. But having this as a bit of a distraction, a bit of contact in a contactless world. It serves as a bit of a break from  everything else. 

All stay well.

• Like 2

As one of the now-geriatric passengers, I won't eliminate any consideration of a cruise in the future.  But I won't consider one in the next year or so until I see the lay of the land.

DH being unable to cruise now is a difficulty which will continue at least in the near term, so what I think now may NOT come to pass.  But I'd hate to think that I've taken my last cruise.

Mura

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

If Oceania’s current customers and demographics are choosing to take their money and walk, they are loudly stating they are Oceania’s past not its future

I am not saying that at all - just not a betting person with my hard earned money. Will happily return to Oceania when this is over and there is a vaccine and the "new" Oceania is much like the one I know now.

48 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I could picture several scenarios that Oceania could explore to maintain its current premium image while instituting significant change to secure the future

Any specific scenarios other than banning the old and people with underlying medical histories?

I think it will be very easy to rebook any cruise you cancel now and probably at a great price.

There will be no rush to get on cruise ships for a while.

We are frequent cruisers (average 5 long cruises a year)  and have a cadre of friends who regularly join us

None of us wants to board a cruise ship unless there is a Covid19 vaccine.

That could take up to 2 years.

We have cancelled everything for 2020.

We have a cruise early 2021 on Crystal with plenty of time to cancel without penalty.

There are so many other great ways to travel -- assuming travel is even possible -- without being on a cruise ship.