Now for something completely different

30 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

That looks a lot like one I make, although I would have a swirl of heavy cream just before serving. It looks like you used parmesan cheese. Typically I use tarragon and dill is the herb enhancement. I always have bacon and smoked salmon in the mix, usually shrinp, clams and some firm fleshed fish.

I'm going to make chowder for my mother in law for her90th birthday on the 10th of December.

I took the photo just before adding a swirl of cream (sometimes creme fraiche or sour cream, too) but I also sometimes add it to the pot just before serving so it permeates the chowder).  Yes, parmesan.  Automatic, after years of living in the northern Italian community where parmesan is always added to soups, not just pasta and risotto.  And yes, I add dill if I have it to hand, or fennel fronds.  I had neither last night, but sprinkled some parsley just before eating.  If I have fennel, I add a chopped bulb to the cooking prior to adding the fish in the last few moments.  Your mother-in-law is a lucky lady to have such a thoughtful son-in-law.  Birthday wishes to her🌺

44 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

I took the photo just before adding a swirl of cream (sometimes creme fraiche or sour cream, too) but I also sometimes add it to the pot just before serving so it permeates the chowder).  Yes, parmesan.  Automatic, after years of living in the northern Italian community where parmesan is always added to soups, not just pasta and risotto.  And yes, I add dill if I have it to hand, or fennel fronds.  I had neither last night, but sprinkled some parsley just before eating.  If I have fennel, I add a chopped bulb to the cooking prior to adding the fish in the last few moments.  Your mother-in-law is a lucky lady to have such a thoughtful son-in-law.  Birthday wishes to her🌺

Maybe some day we will find ourselves in the same place at the same time with access to a kitchen...we can make soup 😁

7 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Maybe some day we will find ourselves in the same place at the same time with access to a kitchen...we can make soup 😁

6 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Perfect😆

Can I come too? 

I have to admit I've never made a fish chowder but I make a mean fish pie. Since I love flaky pastry I use that as the topping then serve mash and peas on the side.

20 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Sounds like a great buy.

My mob are at me to get the new Apple Watch, fall alerts, find me if I wander off and detect heart irregularities, seems the older ticker skips some beats, but ECG doesn’t pick them up. But gee they cost a ton.

My BF has an Apple watch and likes it. Apparently they require daily charging. My Garmin lasts for a couple of weeks between charge, depending on usage, but I can't take/make phone calls on it.

The Apple sounds like the way to go in your circumstances.

If you have a smart phone I would strongly recommend installing (if you haven't already) the Emergency Plus app. It gives you a three letter emergency code which allows emergency responders to pinpoint your location to within 3m2.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Can I come too? 

I have to admit I've never made a fish chowder but I make a mean fish pie. Since I love flaky pastry I use that as the topping then serve mash and peas on the side.

Yes!  You’re in the kitchenJulie, and your pie sounds delicious

2 hours ago, Mareblu said:

For us what would be really cool is if we can pull this off. We are still working on the down under adventure but we don't have any dates or on the ground plans. If we got a few CC friends together in a location convenient to everyone I think we could create quite a feast. Keep it on your back burners everyone it could be a great time.

3 hours ago, Mareblu said:

My fish pie recipe is very easy. I use salmon plus a white fish like ling. I precook the fish in milk in the oven for about 20 mins, until it's just starting to flake - the ling usually takes longer than the salmon. I saute some leek in butter, then add flour and the strained milk to make a white sauce. I add lemon juice, chopped parsley, and the fish in bite-sized chunks. Put it in a greased baking dish, top with flaky pastry and bake until the pastry is cooked. Serve with mash and peas.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

For us what would be really cool is if we can pull this off. We are still working on the down under adventure but we don't have any dates or on the ground plans. If we got a few CC friends together in a location convenient to everyone I think we could create quite a feast. Keep it on your back burners everyone it could be a great time.

What a wonderful thought👏

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got my fifth vax on Wednesday at my GP. First two were Moderna, then two Pfizer and this one was Novavax. 

My fourth was in March (nine months ago) and, as I will be cruising to Singapore in January, thought it better to be prepared and "up-to-date".

No reaction to jab whatsover.

• Like 4

@Blackduck59

My Alaska cruise is now booked in. Will arrive 3/6 for cruise 4/6. I don't know if we'll be able to meet up as time , on arrival, is limited. I am at the mercy of my three companions movements as it is their cruise/holiday and I'm just along for the ride. We have Qantas credits we need to use up on accommodation as Qantas has refused to refund for cancelled flights  that were booked before COVID - will only give credits. BTW Qantas is charging more for flights using credits than they do for newly booked flights. Air pirates! Grrr.😠

We have a post cruise tour to Fairbanks so may be able to squeeze in a day or two in Vancouver afterwards but not sure of dates ATM...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

@Blackduck59

My Alaska cruise is now booked in. Will arrive 3/6 for cruise 4/6. I don't know if we'll be able to meet up as time , on arrival, is limited. I am at the mercy of my three companions movements as it is their cruise/holiday and I'm just along for the ride. We have Qantas credits we need to use up on accommodation as Qantas has refused to refund for cancelled flights  that were booked before COVID - will only give credits. BTW Qantas is charging more for flights using credits than they do for newly booked flights. Air pirates! Grrr.😠

We have a post cruise tour to Fairbanks so may be able to squeeze in a day or two in Vancouver afterwards but not sure of dates ATM...

I had the same issue with Qantas….they are rogues!!🥶

Watched 3 solid hours of Argentina v Netherlands this morning.  Riveting right to the end.  Commiserations to Netherlands;  penalties always a terrible way to go out, although probably Argentina looked sharper in attack.  The big one for us tomorrow morning, because now we've fallen in behind the English, as our chaps bowed out gallantly the other day.  Who will prevail:  England or France?  My soccer-playing granddaughters are cheering for France.

6 hours ago, lyndarra said:

@Blackduck59

Thanks for the update Lyndon, Now that Lynn is retired our schedule is much more flexible. I can get time off pretty much anytime I want. If your group is coming to Victoria that would be nice if not we could hop over to Vancouver with little trouble. Keep me informed.

Cheers, Lyle & Lynn 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Watched 3 solid hours of Argentina v Netherlands this morning.  Riveting right to the end.  Commiserations to Netherlands;  penalties always a terrible way to go out, although probably Argentina looked sharper in attack.  The big one for us tomorrow morning, because now we've fallen in behind the English, as our chaps bowed out gallantly the other day.  Who will prevail:  England or France?  My soccer-playing granddaughters are cheering for France.

So much for King and Empire 😁. Of course our lads didn't manage a win but we did score a couple of goals, the first ever for us in world cup. Football (Soccer) is not nearly as big as hockey here so we have to take the fact we even made it into the tournament a step forward. Of course as one of the host countries we will be in the tournament next time.

• Like 1