Now for something completely different

7 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

Seems like cruise ships aren't the only ones nickel and dime-ing! Just saw this on a news feed.

I don't think even P&O have sunk quite this low!!image.png.6e9575f7d4859dcc9b16db66f56c6e21.png

Actually, they have. You can't get a poached egg for breakfast in the regular eateries, unless you pay extra for it as eggs benny.

57 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Actually, they have. You can't get a poached egg for breakfast in the regular eateries, unless you pay extra for it as eggs benny.

My girlfriend told me Sisters in aged care aren't allowed poached eggs.  The chef cooks them in the oven so they look poached.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

My heart goes out to the peopIe of Mt Tamborine.  I didn't realise just how much the loss of power and internet effected me. As you say, we lost confidence that we may loose power again.  We lost power for the least amount of time and didn't loose any food, because we put two bags of ice in the old style ice box fridge which lasted longer than a week.  However, I have no BBQ, no non electric cooking choices, no cups of tea. When the TV went off unexpectedly, I automatically jumped up and started cooking so I would have something to eat.  I started planning ahead, eg plum pudding must be cooked 40 mins, then you can reheat it.  I ate a whole plum pudding over the period.  I kept boiled water in a 24 hr flask so I could have a cup of tea.  I kept bottles of cold boiled water.  I remembered things i'd learnt at Water Resources during the Brisbane's big flood.  Like fill the bathtub before water gets contaminated. Fill a basin, so you can wash your dirty feet.  Use disinfectant.  Someone should write a book. 

PS Lots of workmen still in our area.  Major problems apart from electricity is damage from roots of big trees lifting.  Lots have lifted huge blocks of concrete in our area.  A man couldnt lift it to fix so dangerous to walk around, eg no fences 

Yes its no fun thats for sure. We are fortunate that we now have power and have got the essentials in our fridge / freezers. Still not game to buy bulk. Mount Tamborine is a wreck at the moment.  It is going to be a long time time before things get back to normal for them. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Comfort food tonight: roast vegetable lasagne with mixed leaf salad.

IMG_5435.jpeg

That looks very tasty Linda, I am a confirmed carnivore but the occasional vegetarian selection is nice change. I do like the toasted pine nut topping.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice meal Linda, lovely wine glass, Quality all the way..

I will be drinking out of a paper cup soon, with the packing being done re my move end of Feb, to Moruya.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, gents.  We’re usually carnivores too, but I didn’t want to waste the vegs I had overstocked, so this is made with sliced and roasted pumpkin, zucchini and red capsicum (maybe bell pepper for you Lyle).  

Roasting first is essential, to raise the flavour level without meat.  There is bechemel with an added egg during cooking, and the obligatory roast tomato sugo I make ahead and freeze in batches, and pasta sheets, also containing egg.  So lots of protein, but we could adapt this lasagne to a gluten-free recipe for you, Les.  

Lol, the glasses I ordered online in bulk a while ago; a French design, but quite inexpensive.  

Glad you’re nearly there with the sorting through and packing up, Les.  It’s a mammoth task.  Take care and go easy.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Thanks, gents.  We’re usually carnivores too, but I didn’t want to waste the vegs I had overstocked, so this is made with sliced and roasted pumpkin, zucchini and red capsicum (maybe bell pepper for you Lyle).  

Roasting first is essential, to raise the flavour level without meat.  There is bechemel with an added egg during cooking, and the obligatory roast tomato sugo I make ahead and freeze in batches, and pasta sheets, also containing egg.  So lots of protein, but we could adapt this lasagne to a gluten-free recipe for you, Les.  

Lol, the glasses I ordered online in bulk a while ago; a French design, but quite inexpensive.  

Glad you’re nearly there with the sorting through and packing up, Les.  It’s a mammoth task.  Take care and go easy.

That sounds delicious, Linda. I'd happily put my feet under your table (and I,too, am a carnivore!).

Don't envy you packing, Les. I hate it! Hope you are keeping as well as possible.

• Like 3

To finish the lasagne topic, I should clarify that the pic is of Mario’s serving.  Mine was much smaller.  It’s quite filling.  Since I had to reluctantly put away the golf clubs, the mirror and my shrinking clothes are shouting “diet”, so I need to get really serious, particularly after an indulgent festive season.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

To finish the lasagne topic, I should clarify that the pic is of Mario’s serving.  Mine was much smaller.  It’s quite filling.  Since I had to reluctantly put away the golf clubs, the mirror and my shrinking clothes are shouting “diet”, so I need to get really serious, particularly after an indulgent festive season.

I'm hearing you, Linda. However our resident personal trainer (aka resident Labrador) is determined to make me run around the park. ☹️ According to the bathroom scales it is working.😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Oh, and not to labour the point, sorry:  I forgot to add there's plenty of sauteed spinach in there too, as the pic demonstrates.  Lasagne really finished now😂

Edited by Mareblu
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ceeceeDee said:

I'm hearing you, Linda. However our resident personal trainer (aka resident Labrador) is determined to make me run around the park. ☹️ According to the bathroom scales it is working.😂

That's the best possible weight loss programme, with the company of the best possible PT, too.

• Like 3

That lasagne looks delicious, Linda. I normally don't like lasagne as for some add reason the bolognaise-style meat ragu doesn't agree with me. I can't figure out why either as I don't react that way to other beef mince dishes. Roast veges would be yummy! 

Way back when one of our GDs first went vegetarian I modified a moussaka recipe to use finely chopped mushrooms as the meat. It worked really well but I had to halve the amount of herbs and spices in the recipe for the mushroom version. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

I will be drinking out of a paper cup soon, with the packing being done re my move end of Feb, to Moruya.

Good luck with the packing mate. I hope all goes well with the packing & the move.

Cheers,

Neil & Tracey

• Like 3

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That lasagne looks delicious, Linda. I normally don't like lasagne as for some add reason the bolognaise-style meat ragu doesn't agree with me. I can't figure out why either as I don't react that way to other beef mince dishes. Roast veges would be yummy! 

Way back when one of our GDs first went vegetarian I modified a moussaka recipe to use finely chopped mushrooms as the meat. It worked really well but I had to halve the amount of herbs and spices in the recipe for the mushroom version. 

Julie, your moussaka story reminds me of my aunt, who was like a mother to me really.  We were very close, and I miss her terribly.  She was hysterical sometimes.  When her oldest GD announced she had converted to vegetarianism, my aunt cooked her a special treat of her favourite rissoles.  She put pineapple in them.  

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Julie, your moussaka story reminds me of my aunt, who was like a mother to me really.  We were very close, and I miss her terribly.  She was hysterical sometimes.  When her oldest GD announced she had converted to vegetarianism, my aunt cooked her a special treat of her favourite rissoles.  She put pineapple in them.  

How did that work????

Your lasagne has inspired me to make a grilled vege salad to go with meatballs. Not homemade meatballs though. Our greengrocer has these amazing frozen meatballs in sauce which are even better than my home made ones. I discovered them after we returned home from our Japan trip feeling exhausted and not wanting to cook. Now I keep a pack in the feezer. The brand is "To Be Frank". 

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

How did that work????

Your lasagne has inspired me to make a grilled vege salad to go with meatballs. Not homemade meatballs though. Our greengrocer has these amazing frozen meatballs in sauce which are even better than my home made ones. I discovered them after we returned home from our Japan trip feeling exhausted and not wanting to cook. Now I keep a pack in the feezer. The brand is "To Be Frank". 

I’ll look for them;  they sound great.  

She just drained a tin of pineapple pieces and mixed them through her rissole mixture before rolling into meatballs 😂.  Once she was having a Saturday night dinner party and she’d ordered some french sticks from the local bakery.  She was minding two GDs, and she had a tiny morris minor.  The bread wouldn’t fit in the boot, so she put the bread on the back seat, put the kids in the boot and said, “Don’t tell your mother”.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Caesar salad and salmon tonight, no pictures though.

That would just about be Mario’s favourite meal.  I love that combo too.  

23 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We have the salmon well browned on the edges, like this image.

Salmon would have to be one of my favourite proteins.  I like it cooked through though.  Went to a very posh restaurant once and the salmon was gooey in the center, apparently this is 'the how a talented and experienced chef presents salmon' (yes, said to me by the waiter) I had to leave it.  It almost made me retch, can't do sushi either.