Now for something completely different

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

If you marked the leftover sandwich as 'food' you would have alerted the quarantine officials and you would have had to throw it away (if you were lucky), or been reprimanded and maybe fined (if you were unlucky.

I  have never been asked for prescriptions for medicines, in Australia or anywhere else. However, I would be cautious with some countries where pain meds that contain codeine aren't allowed.  

We were told to specifically have either the original prescription bottle or a prescription authorized by our doctor for each medicine we had.  We were also told to declare each prescription on our list plus any loose meds (tylenol).  We were also told if we had an open bag of m&ms we could not take it off the plane..we had to throw it away because it violated the agricultural/immigration laws of Australia.  Quite honestly, we were pretty surprised when we got off the plane, got our luggage and bam out to the taxi.  I still had all my paperwork in hand when we left the airport..waiting for someone to ask me for something..lol

6 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Be fair, BRANDEE, it's not the responsibility of the Bee Farm to advise their customers on airline security restrictions. If I went to a small maple syrup farm or outlet in, say, Vermont, would you expect them to tell me to pack it in my checked baggage?

In Vermont, they would be very helpful...in NYC they would say..Sure honey, whatever!!

Of course it is not their responsibility, as I said we were wrong to forget, but a reminder would have been well appreciated and left a very positive impression. Mistakes happen..and probably won't be our last!

Honestly, we were more concerned if we could bring the honey back into Australia because we knew there were so many restrictions and did not want to break agricultural laws.

36 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

We were told to specifically have either the original prescription bottle or a prescription authorized by our doctor for each medicine we had.  We were also told to declare each prescription on our list plus any loose meds (tylenol).  We were also told if we had an open bag of m&ms we could not take it off the plane..we had to throw it away because it violated the agricultural/immigration laws of Australia.  Quite honestly, we were pretty surprised when we got off the plane, got our luggage and bam out to the taxi.  I still had all my paperwork in hand when we left the airport..waiting for someone to ask me for something..lol

Chocolates no longer have to be declared, Aquis officer told me that About 4 yrs ago. Always took the princess chocs home for the grandies, on a 30 day cruise that is 60 chocs. Never had problem bringing them in.

Edited by NSWP

36 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

Whoever said you had to throw away an open packet of M&Ms didn't know what they were talking about. Chocolates and sweets are OK. The main items that are prohibited are meat products and fresh fruit/vegetables.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Whoever said you had to throw away an open packet of M&Ms didn't know what they were talking about. Chocolates and sweets are OK. The main items that are prohibited are meat products and fresh fruit/vegetables.

Plus dairy products prohibited.

2 hours ago, BRANDEE said:

But the people purchasing the honey were specifically asking can I bring this back to UK, US, Canada, Tasmania, Victoria, Western Australia and Queensland to name a few.  To make a sale a quick.."of course" was said to all.  Not good PR, but probably no one there that day would ever return to complain. So I'm doing it here!!  Honesty is the best policy..so good thing I was never in retail.

But as pointed out earlier you can bring honey into Australia and, presumably, into the US. That was not the issue. You had containers of honey that were over 100ml so violated the carry-on liquids rule.

You can't blame the honey retailer for that and you are being unfair in trying to do that.

15 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

But as pointed out earlier you can bring honey into Australia and, presumably, into the US. That was not the issue. You had containers of honey that were over 100ml so violated the carry-on liquids rule.

You can't blame the honey retailer for that and you are being unfair in trying to do that.

I did say it was my mistake. More than once.    

10 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, you did but you also continued to blame the honey farm.

"Mi arrendo" as my grandma would say, I've enjoyed your camaraderie over the past year too much, to let a little honey get in the way. 

12 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

How come Princess don’t have BOOZE cruises?

They very culturally enriching.

We dont allow Bogans on Princess, the premier cruise line. Although the odd one sneaks on.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

LOL, the use of sarcasm is enormous on that statement.

Sarcasm is my middle name. Everyone should know that by now.🤡 I have been on CC for 15 years, like March 8, 2006.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

And nuts and wood.

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

We dont allow Bogans on Princess, the premier cruise line. Although the odd one sneaks on.

My one and only cruise on Carnival was overrun with bogans. I've never seen so many muffin tops or tats on any cruise before or since and certainly not on my one and only (Sea) Princess cruise. On that one one I saw more walking frames, scooters and oxy bottles than on any other.

4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I have brought in macadamia nuts (OK'd by quarantine). Wood can be brought in but Quarantine officers will inspect to ensure it does not have borers.

And fumigate it if necessary.

Where did the Macadamias come from?

Just now, lyndarra said:

And fumigate it if necessary.

Where did the Macadamias come from?

The macadamias were from Hawaii. You are correct about wooden items. If borers are found the person has the option of paying to have the item fumigated, but it would rarely be worth the cost and bother. On the occasions we have bought wooden souvenirs, we inspect them very carefully before we buy them.

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

The macadamias were from Hawaii. You are correct about wooden items. If borers are found the person has the option of paying to have the item fumigated, but it would rarely be worth the cost and bother. On the occasions we have bought wooden souvenirs, we inspect them very carefully before we buy them.

That's interesting. macadamias are a big item in Hawaii but I wonder in they have special disease controls there.

A friend I have traveled with (internationally) often buys local musical instruments which are often made of wood and is used to declaring them and having them inspected.

3 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

That's interesting. macadamias are a big item in Hawaii but I wonder in they have special disease controls there.

A friend I have traveled with (internationally) often buys local musical instruments which are often made of wood and is used to declaring them and having them inspected.

My macadamia nuts were 'processed'  - they were covered in chocolate. This was a few decades ago when I hadn't seen choc covered macadamias here.

• Like 1

BTW, Australia is the home of the Macadamia, we had farms here which were mildly successful. A business man took some plants to Hawaii and made a very successful industry out of it.

Why people think macadamias are from Hawaii (and why they are wrong) | Australian Macadamias (australian-macadamias.org)

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

BTW, Australia is the home of the Macadamia, we had farms here which were mildly successful. A business man took some plants to Hawaii and made a very successful industry out of it.

Why people think macadamias are from Hawaii (and why they are wrong) | Australian Macadamias (australian-macadamias.org)

Yes, I was aware of that. I have asked Americans where macadamias are from and they all say Hawaii, not realising from where they originate.

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Macadamia's are native to south-east Queensland and north-eastern NSW. A couple of years ago when we were on a tour in Hawaii, the guide confidently told us that Macadamias were native to Hawaii. After we got off the bus, I quietly mentioned that they were form Australia, however she was adamant that she was correct. All I could suggest is that she research it.