3 in 10 cruisers won’t cruise again

Selbourne

11 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I've had several stays at Warner's Bembridge Coast Hotel.  It is not 'upmarket' but very comfortable with pleasant food.  The setting is stunning with mature trees and lovely lawns extending down to the (admittedly rather scraggy) beach.  With good weather you could easily feel that you are on the Cote D'Azur.  Good cruise ship spotting too under normal circumstances.

If we are unable to cruise this year, Bembridge is a possible alternative. It's nice to sit on the terrace before dinner with a glass of wine watching the cruise ships pass,....................😪

• Like 2

Interesting article on the likely changes on the horizon to restart the industry:

REVEALED: THE NEW FACE OF CRUISING AS REPORTS SAY CARNIVAL TO RESTRICT PASSENGER NUMBERS

Here’s what your future cruise might look like:

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/revealed-the-new-face-of-cruising-as-reports-say-carnival-to-restrict-passenger-numbers/

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Interesting article on the likely changes on the horizon to restart the industry:

Sounds to me like it would be a very surreal cruise Harry.

I  don't think we would be rushing to be a part of it .

But the sorts of measures mentioned could only be a short-term measure.  Limiting numbers is a financial headache for the cruise lines as most of the major players have moved to a model of getting as many pax on board as possible and getting them to pay for "extra charge" dining etc.  Smaller numbers/empty cabins mean huge loss of profit, hence it could only be temporary.  Only using cabins with access to fresh air?  That means only using balcony cabins... I still believe that this will blow over and things will eventually return to normal.  It will take time but it will happen.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

REVEALED: THE NEW FACE OF CRUISING AS REPORTS SAY CARNIVAL TO RESTRICT PASSENGER NUMBERS

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/revealed-the-new-face-of-cruising-as-reports-say-carnival-to-restrict-passenger-numbers/

It doesn't make sense... 

If no inside or sea view cabins and only every other balcony cabin available, surely that counts for more than half the capacity? 

Yet they are saying they could sail 3/4 full? 

Andy 

3 hours ago, Britboys said:

I've had several stays at Warner's Bembridge Coast Hotel.  It is not 'upmarket' but very comfortable with pleasant food.  The setting is stunning with mature trees and lovely lawns extending down to the (admittedly rather scraggy) beach.  With good weather you could easily feel that you are on the Cote D'Azur.  Good cruise ship spotting too under normal circumstances.

If we are unable to cruise this year, Bembridge is a possible alternative. It's nice to sit on the terrace before dinner with a glass of wine watching the cruise ships pass,....................😪

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

As Andy says, it doesn’t add up. The restrictions would mean that only around 30-40% of cabins could be sold (50% of balconies and nothing below that) and that just wouldn’t be financially viable. 

That being said, it sounds like the sort of cruise that we would enjoy. No drawer slammers, loud TV viewers or early morning coughers or sneezers either side of us (we’ve had them all, multiple times). Ideally they would alternate by deck, so we wouldn’t have ‘stompers’ above us either! Seriously though, we would pay more for a quieter experience and I love the idea of boarding the minute that you arrive, having done the check in before your cruise. P&O love a queue though, so maybe that would be a step too far for them. 

Much of what is in that article could well be a logical way to get cruises going again, especially as demand will be low until Coronavirus is consigned to history or we are all vaccinated. In addition to a vaccine, there will need to be a period of no cruises having had any outbreaks before bookings begin to recover. None of it will be sustainable long term though, sadly. 

12 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

As Andy says, it doesn’t add up. The restrictions would mean that only around 30-40% of cabins could be sold (50% of balconies and nothing below that) and that just wouldn’t be financially viable. 

That being said, it sounds like the sort of cruise that we would enjoy. No drawer slammers, loud TV viewers or early morning coughers or sneezers either side of us (we’ve had them all, multiple times). Ideally they would alternate by deck, so we wouldn’t have ‘stompers’ above us either! Seriously though, we would pay more for a quieter experience and I love the idea of boarding the minute that you arrive, having done the check in before your cruise. P&O love a queue though, so maybe that would be a step too far for them. 

Much of what is in that article could well be a logical way to get cruises going again, especially as demand will be low until Coronavirus is consigned to history or we are all vaccinated. In addition to a vaccine, there will need to be a period of no cruises having had any outbreaks before bookings begin to recover. None of it will be sustainable long term though, sadly. 

I'm sure it isn't sustainable in the longer term, and the article is based largely on conjecture.  But if it's the only way to restart cruising legally and relatively safely, there may be no other effective options.  Airlines certainly don't want to lose a third of their seating capacity either (with the inevitable impact, as with cruises) on prices, but again it's better than having aircraft (or cruise ships) sitting empty earning no revenue at all.

It all depends on the virus, of course, and that's the big unknown.  And whether/when an effective vaccine can be prepared and produced in the vast quantities needed.

Considerably higher cruise and travel prices (trains will also be affected) look inevitable if these changes have to be put into effect.

46 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I'm sure it isn't sustainable in the longer term, and the article is based largely on conjecture.  But if it's the only way to restart cruising legally and relatively safely, there may be no other effective options.  Airlines certainly don't want to lose a third of their seating capacity either (with the inevitable impact, as with cruises) on prices, but again it's better than having aircraft (or cruise ships) sitting empty earning no revenue at all.

It all depends on the virus, of course, and that's the big unknown.  And whether/when an effective vaccine can be prepared and produced in the vast quantities needed.

Considerably higher cruise and travel prices (trains will also be affected) look inevitable if these changes have to be put into effect.

I think they will accept any restrictions for the short term to get the ships moving again. 

It is how they can sustain it going forward.. 

Andy 

• Like 1

Another interesting article about Carnival:

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2020-carnival-cruise-coronavirus/

"Carnival Executives Knew They Had a Virus Problem, But Kept the Party Going

More than 1,500 people on the company’s cruise ships have been diagnosed with Covid-19, and dozens have died.

By Austin Carr and Chris Palmeri"

Not encouraging to those considering cruises when they restart!  Looks like a huge PR exercise is required, and probably some pretty low prices to pull people back - despite the losses it might well cause in the short term.

I'm hoping our cruise in November goes ahead, as you know😊. However, our passports will need renewing before we go so that's another issue. We have them done at Max Spielmann's and they do the whole thing for us. If they don't open in time then we'll have a bit of a problem.😕

Avril 

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm hoping our cruise in November goes ahead, as you know😊. However, our passports will need renewing before we go so that's another issue. We have them done at Max Spielmann's and they do the whole thing for us. If they don't open in time then we'll have a bit of a problem.😕

Avril 

They are fairly easy to do online Avril, but you will need an up to date photo, which again is easy to add to a file on your laptop from which to digitally attach to your application. Or you can do the application at a post office.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

They are fairly easy to do online Avril, but you will need an up to date photo, which again is easy to add to a file on your laptop from which to digitally attach to your application. Or you can do the application at a post office.

Easy enough for someone who's tech savvy John, but unfortunately that ain't me😔. I know I can ask David my grandson,  but he's still working full time and does a lot of running around for us as it is, so I'm reluctant to ask. We did our last one at the post office but as we can't go out yet that's out of the question. I can hang on until the end of July? at a push, and hope things will be lifted a little by then. Thanks for your advice John. The little things we took for granted, it's amazing.

Avril. 

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

We have them done at Max Spielmann's and they do the whole thing for us. If they don't open in time then we'll have a bit of a problem.😕

Should they still be closed Avril you could use one of those "Photo-Me" booths that most supermarkets seem to have.

One of our lads did it this way, you get your photo's taken and it also gives you a code, so you can upload the picture

for your online passport application.

The only thing you need is your card payment and the passport renewal form :classic_wink:

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/filter/overseas?_ga=2.80103903.932495294.1537777477-946183992.1475581620

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kalos said:

Should they still be closed Avril you could use one of those "Photo-Me" booths that most supermarkets seem to have.

One of our lads did it this way, you get your photo's taken and it also gives you a code, so you can upload the picture

for your online passport application.

The only thing you need is your card payment and the passport renewal form :classic_wink:

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/filter/overseas?_ga=2.80103903.932495294.1537777477-946183992.1475581620

Still sounds too complicated for me kalos. That's why I thought I'd try Max Spielmann. Sit down, photo taken, hand over old passport, swipe the bank card, job done. 😆😉

Avril 

• Haha 1