3 in 10 cruisers won’t cruise again

Selbourne

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I wonder how this will pan out if the story in today's Sunday Times about a potential continued lock down of the over 70s for a year or more is correct. 

These days  Harry I have learned to worry about today and then sort out the future  tomorrow......

and today's problem is .... 

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-delivery-of-84-tonnes-of-protective-equipment-for-nhs-delayed-11975429

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I wonder how this will pan out if the story in today's Sunday Times about a potential continued lock down of the over 70s for a year or more is correct. 

Probably mean Travel Insurance might not be valid if you are over 70 or have underlying health problems and you decide to travel. 

19 minutes ago, kalos said:

These days  Harry I have learned to worry about today and then sort out the future  tomorrow......

and today's problem is .... 

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-delivery-of-84-tonnes-of-protective-equipment-for-nhs-delayed-11975429

That’s a very serious problem, I agree, and far more serious for those affected than anything here.

The main Sunday Times story on the front page goes into the reasons for it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs/the_papers

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Ah! more confusion. What exactly do they mean by 'over 70'?  You have just had your 70th birthday or your 71st?.  Logically it is your 70th birthday because when you were 1 you had already lived a year. You have your relevant birthday 3 months in and are then banished to whatever land. Interesting. what is the difference risk wise between being 69 and seventy anyway. what about pre existing conditions. I am 69 with diabetes so am at more or less risk than a healthy 70 year old. Must have a lie down, can't use my pressure washer cos the neighbours have hung washing out.

They're coming to take me away ha ha. To the funny farm where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice men in their clean white coats. etc etc 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Probably mean Travel Insurance might not be valid if you are over 70 or have underlying health problems and you decide to travel. 

Not a problem if you are not allowed out of the house till next September.

5 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm hoping our cruise in November goes ahead, as you know😊. However, our passports will need renewing before we go so that's another issue. We have them done at Max Spielmann's and they do the whole thing for us. If they don't open in time then we'll have a bit of a problem.😕

Avril 

Can you go to a main post office,we did last time we renewed.

Government offices are still working.

You can renew your passport early without losing any time outstanding as they will expire 10 years after the current expiry date 

• Like 1

The easiest (and cheapest) way is to renew on line. Ensure that your photo meets the requirements. You might need a few goes to get it right.

Unfortunately you no longer get any unused time added on. This was changed about a year and half ago. The expiry date of your new passport will be 10 years after the issue date.

Brian

• Like 2

We renewed online in January for our non-starter cruise in March 😥 and I was surprised how easy it was, except the picture, one passed their scrutiny one failed so I went to Max Spielmans in my locally Tesco they took it gave an actual copy, digital copy and a code to retrieve online and if rejected they will redo free of charge. Sent off no comebacks, I think the trick is to have a backlight like they do. 

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

Not a problem if you are not allowed out of the house till next September.

In that case cruising totally finished. Never been on any cruise when the majority of cruisers have not been over 70.

The flaw in the argument is that at the moment over 70’s have no extra restrictions on top of under 70’s. Unless they have underlying issues. They were mentioned at the very start but never again. They are not on the list of 1.5 million who have health issues who have to completely self isolate. They can shop and exercise etc.

Just another example of flawed journalism. Lazy and sensationalist.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, daiB said:

In that case cruising totally finished. Never been on any cruise when the majority of cruisers have not been over 70.

The flaw in the argument is that at the moment over 70’s have no extra restrictions on top of under 70’s. Unless they have underlying issues. They were mentioned at the very start but never again. They are not on the list of 1.5 million who have health issues who have to completely self isolate. They can shop and exercise etc.

Just another example of flawed journalism. Lazy and sensationalist.

I think that they should lock up the young people so we can get on and enjoy our retirement without catching their germs😷.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, davecttr said:

Ah! more confusion. What exactly do they mean by 'over 70'?  You have just had your 70th birthday or your 71st?.  Logically it is your 70th birthday because when you were 1 you had already lived a year. You have your relevant birthday 3 months in and are then banished to whatever land. Interesting. what is the difference risk wise between being 69 and seventy anyway. what about pre existing conditions. I am 69 with diabetes so am at more or less risk than a healthy 70 year old. Must have a lie down, can't use my pressure washer cos the neighbours have hung washing out.

They're coming to take me away ha ha. To the funny farm where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice men in their clean white coats. etc etc 

Wow. Screaming Lord Such.  That's a blast from the past. Didn't he go into politics? Figures!!

Avril 

7 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Wow. Screaming Lord Such.  That's a blast from the past. Didn't he go into politics? Figures!!

Avril 

I saw screaming lord sutch and the savages at Wimbledon palais in about 1964. Not very good, but thank goodness not elected.

Edited by zap99
Spellcheck
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I think that they should lock up the young people so we can get on and enjoy our retirement without catching their germs😷.

✌️😎😆👍👍😎🖖🖖🖖

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

I saw screaming lord sutch and the savages at Wimbledon palais in about 1964. Not very good, but thank goodness not elected.

We saw him in 1964 as well at Barnsley's civic hall. Complete with toilet seat around his neck. What an idiot.

Avril 

28 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

I don’t want to spoil your reminiscences but ‘They’re coming to take me away ha ha’ was not recorded by Screaming Lord Such. It was written and performed by Jerry Samuels under the name of Napoleon XIV. It reached number 4 in UK chart.

26 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I don’t want to spoil your reminiscences but ‘They’re coming to take me away ha ha’ was not recorded by Screaming Lord Such. It was written and performed by Jerry Samuels under the name of Napoleon XIV. It reached number 4 in UK chart.

Of course you are correct , but he did.     " walk the streets of London late at night".

👿

16 hours ago, BrianI said:

The easiest (and cheapest) way is to renew on line. Ensure that your photo meets the requirements. You might need a few goes to get it right.

Unfortunately you no longer get any unused time added on. This was changed about a year and half ago. The expiry date of your new passport will be 10 years after the issue date.

Brian

Ours was issued March 2018 and expires June 2028.

Have you recently experienced issue and expiry Brian?.

This seems unfair to me.

Edited by grapau27

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

This seems unfair to me.

It is unfair.The rules changed around Sep 2018. My wife renewed hers last year and did not get the unused time added on.

See website

https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport/renew

Quote ...Time left on your old passport will not be added to your new one.

Brian

15 hours ago, zap99 said:

The young seem to take the virus lightly.

While walking around our estate and park the young just walk towards us making no attempt to keep the 2 metre social distance.

We are constantly crossing the road or walking on grass to keep over 2 metres social distance from them.

7 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

This seems unfair to me.

There were lots of posts about this when it was first discussed as a Brexit issue, apparently once outside the EU we have to conform to their aliens policy and our passports cannot have a life span exceeding 10 years.

Just now, BrianI said:

It is unfair.The rules changed around Sep 2018. My wife renewed hers last year and did not get the unused time added on.

See website

https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport/renew

Quote ...Time left on your old passport will not be added to your new one.

Brian

Thanks Brian.

At least we have another 8 years before we will have to renew again.

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

There were lots of posts about this when it was first discussed as a Brexit issue, apparently once outside the EU we have to conform to their aliens policy and our passports cannot have a life span exceeding 10 years.

Thanks John.

I don't think I got involved in the Brexit issue.

I was going through our Azura TA paperwork and while looking at our passports noticed the different issue/expiry dates so posted this.

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks John.

I don't think I got involved in the Brexit issue.

I was going through our Azura TA paperwork and while looking at our passports noticed the different issue/expiry dates so posted this.

Sorry Graham I think I have probably stated the position incorrectly,  I believe the position in the EU is that the expiry date cannot be more than 10 years after your entry date into the EU, so once the expiry date is less than 10 years away you have no issues. 

Just in case you realised my initial statement would mean your passports would be invalid.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Sorry Graham I think I have probably stated the position incorrectly,  I believe the position in the EU is that the expiry date cannot be more than 10 years after your entry date into the EU, so once the expiry date is less than 10 years away you have no issues. 

Just in case you realised my initial statement would mean your passports would be invalid.

Our previous passports expired 

June 2018 so even though our current passports were issued March 2018 we didn't lose or gain any extra as they expire June 2028.

The issues are when some countries insist you have 6 months+ time left on your passport then people will lose out significantly if they are down to the last 6 months on their passports and they plan to visit these countries.