Let's go on a virtual NZ and Australia cruise

Thank you OzKiwiJJ, for being a fabulous cruise director. This has been such a wonderful voyage, we had so much fun. We have met such wonderful people on this "virtual" adventure. I really hope that we may some day meet some or all of our virtual friends in real life. For now we have one more night, our butler has prepared our formal wear after our "Anniversary" celebration, thanks to everyone who made us feel so special that night. I decided to pack a different waistcoat and bow tie, so a little change from The white tie and waistcoat that I wore the other night. Blue Brocade tonight will match the Indigo gown that Lynn has for tonight. I really don't know what to expect, the Ocean Pearl is such a fabulous ship, is there a fabulous al Fresco buffet with ice sculptures and lave music in the background? Or are we trying to stay away from buffets. 

Madame cruise director can you give us a hint? Everything on this trip has been top drawer so I'm sure this will be too.

No buffets. Buffets do not go with elegant formalwear!!!

Ice sculptures, live music, and an elegant ten course meal. The courses are very small with choices for each course.  

I loved the selection of canapes at the start. They were dainty but some had a real punch of flavour.

I went for the caviar. I love the way it's served. 

1368796005_2018-08-2320_23_14.thumb.jpg.101b88eace43a0a3fc2eb7a642436161.jpg

The lobster bisque was just perfect. Packed full of flavour with just a hint of cream to smooth it out. 

The lemon sole was beautiful, just a small fillet with a delicate sauce.

I went for the pheasant next, then had venison.

The peach champagne sorbet cleansed the palate.

I couldn't resist the Pont l'Eveque cheese, perfectly runny. 

Then I had a tiny bitter orange creme brulee. The orange flavour goes so well with the brulee topping.

Finally I had an incredible miniature chocolate pot. The darkest, richest, absolutely sinful chocolate creme.

25 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

No buffets. Buffets do not go with elegant formalwear!!!

Ice sculptures, live music, and an elegant ten course meal. The courses are very small with choices for each course.  

I loved the selection of canapes at the start. They were dainty but some had a real punch of flavour.

I went for the caviar. I love the way it's served. 

1368796005_2018-08-2320_23_14.thumb.jpg.101b88eace43a0a3fc2eb7a642436161.jpg

The lobster bisque was just perfect. Packed full of flavour with just a hint of cream to smooth it out. 

The lemon sole was beautiful, just a small fillet with a delicate sauce.

I went for the pheasant next, then had venison.

The peach champagne sorbet cleansed the palate.

I couldn't resist the Pont l'Eveque cheese, perfectly runny. 

Then I had a tiny bitter orange creme brulee. The orange flavour goes so well with the brulee topping.

Finally I had an incredible miniature chocolate pot. The darkest, richest, absolutely sinful chocolate creme.

OzKiwi I think I would have you choose my meal. Each course sounds just amazing. Thank you so much for spending so much time organising our virtual cruise. It was such fun. 

Leigh

Agreed, thank you for organising everything and everyone else who joined along for a wonderful cruise. I have virtually packed and put the bags out in the hall and am now tucked up in bed watching a few latest releases before have our last night's sleep aboard.

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

OzKiwi I think I would have you choose my meal. Each course sounds just amazing. Thank you so much for spending so much time organising our virtual cruise. It was such fun. 

Leigh

It sounds like we have very similar tastes in food, Leigh. ☺️ I wish this ship was real, I'd love to eat some of those dishes in real life right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Agreed, thank you for organising everything and everyone else who joined along for a wonderful cruise. I have virtually packed and put the bags out in the hall and am now tucked up in bed watching a few latest releases before have our last night's sleep aboard.

Thank you for hunting out and posting all those great photos. You really brought our destinations to life.

• Like 1

I've had so much fun putting together this itinerary. Many of the places are places that I've been to but there were things that I'd never thought of doing in those places, and there were a few places I've never been to at all. So there are lots of new ideas for when cruising starts up for real again.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Itinerary Item 39 – Sydney

Just before we leave the beautiful Ocean Pearl let’s share a couple of verses of Auld Lang Syne.

Should auld acquaintance be forgot
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot
And days of auld lang syne?

For auld lang syne, my dear
For auld lang syne
We'll tak a cup o' kindness yet
For days of auld lang syne

Just remember

We'll meet again
Don't know where
Don't know when
But I know we'll meet again some sunny day

Once again, thank you all for joining me on this wonderful voyage. It’s been a real pleasure virtually cruising with you all. 😘

• Like 6

10 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Thank you for hunting out and posting all those great photos. You really brought our destinations to life.

Google was my friend and so much easier to access than my photos of those locations, we have done many of those trips personally (except for a most of the helicopter flights).

OzKiwiJJ,  You created a wonderful cruise experience.  Thank you so much!  As well as enjoying the beautiful scenery, my shipmates, and the ship amenities, I learned a lot more about NZ and Australia.

I can't wait to sail with all of you again.

Til we meet again....

When we arrive in Sydney, we're going to take the opportunity to spend a few days there, mainly checking out my old haunts, if they still exist.  I left Sydney in 1982, so.....

Any thoughts about my wish list would be appreciated.

Ferry to Neutral Bay, to go up to Kurraba Road and see the building of my first flat there.

Walk across the Bridge to North Sydney.

Attend one or more performances in the Opera House, preferably dance, symphony, or opera.  I danced one season there, and ushered for several years as a second job.

Check out the Strand Arcade, Bodenweiser Dance Studio, and some dance supply shops.

Bondi Beach and Bondi Pavilion.

Train to Katoomba to visit friends Diane and Arthur, and to do some bush walks.

Ferry to Manly.

Thank you, all; it's been fun!

What an amazing meal to finish this fabulous cruise. After dinner we went back to the cabin to change into something comfortable. Our butler had taken care of our laundry and it was folded ready to pack. We packed up our gear and got the carry of bag ready just to throw in our "essentials" after breakfast.

This has been such an adventure Madame cruise director you did an outstanding job (we wish all cruise directors were so helpful) You had a great idea for us to join on a fabulous voyage.

I really do hope that we may be able to meet everybody who was on this trip in the real world.

The food - like everything on this cruise - has been outstanding 👍

Compliments to the exec chef and his team and all the restaurant staff who made sure the food arrived fresh, hot and with the right amount of time in between courses to be able to catch your breath but not fall asleep either! 😉

19_121.thumb.jpg.64793564340ef390be801ed7e6e3a301.jpg

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

When we arrive in Sydney, we're going to take the opportunity to spend a few days there, mainly checking out my old haunts, if they still exist.  I left Sydney in 1982, so.....

Any thoughts about my wish list would be appreciated.

Ferry to Neutral Bay, to go up to Kurraba Road and see the building of my first flat there.

Walk across the Bridge to North Sydney.

Attend one or more performances in the Opera House, preferably dance, symphony, or opera.  I danced one season there, and ushered for several years as a second job.

Check out the Strand Arcade, Bodenweiser Dance Studio, and some dance supply shops.

Bondi Beach and Bondi Pavilion.

Train to Katoomba to visit friends Diane and Arthur, and to do some bush walks.

Ferry to Manly.

Thank you, all; it's been fun!

What a wonderful time you are going to have reliving your former life in Sydney, after almost forty years.  I suggest at least a week!

Time to say goodbye

A BIG thank-you to 'Madame Cruise Director' @OzKiwiJJ for not only coming up with the fabulous idea for this virtual cruise but also supplying us with all the necessary details to make this a memorable experience.

Lots of info for places to visit on our ports of call on this great itinerary and items of discussion for the relaxing sea days.

Marvelous ship with a great crew, favourable weather (apart from the odd bits of rough seas), nice and friendly cruise companions (none of whom whinged, all had good table manners and most importantly adhered to all mandated health and hygiene instructions).

Hoping that we can get back to real-life cruising before too long.

11 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

OzKiwiJJ,  You created a wonderful cruise experience.  Thank you so much!  As well as enjoying the beautiful scenery, my shipmates, and the ship amenities, I learned a lot more about NZ and Australia.

I can't wait to sail with all of you again.

Til we meet again....

11 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

OzKiwiJJ, you done good.  Thank you.

10 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

This has been such an adventure Madame cruise director you did an outstanding job (we wish all cruise directors were so helpful) You had a great idea for us to join on a fabulous voyage.

3 hours ago, boeckli said:

A BIG thank-you to 'Madame Cruise Director' @OzKiwiJJ for not only coming up with the fabulous idea for this virtual cruise but also supplying us with all the necessary details to make this a memorable experience.

Lots of info for places to visit on our ports of call on this great itinerary and items of discussion for the relaxing sea days.

You're all very welcome. 😘

For me it's taken a little of the sting out of not being able to do the Western Europe cruise I was supposed to be on right now. 

The added bonus is this thread makes a great reference book for future cruises, as long as we remember that some things were figments of my imagination. 🤣

'Til we meet again ...

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

10 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I really do hope that we may be able to meet everybody who was on this trip in the real world.

Stick around this forum (it's the best on Cruise Critic anyway) then let us know when you're coming down under. Unfortunately most of us aren't in the one city, we're scattered all over Australia and, indeed, other parts of the world. But if you're passing though our individual home towns then it may be possible to meet up somewhere.

• Like 3

The Parting Glass is one of my favourite songs, often sung at funerals it is nevertheless, meant to be sung at the end of a gathering of friends.  Fellow cruisers, I raise to you a parting glass, good night and and may whatever you believe in, go with you all.

The Parting Glass

Of all the money that e'er I had
I have spent it in good company
Oh and all the harm I've ever done
Alas, it was to none but me

And all I've done for want of wit
To memory now I can't recall
So fill to me the parting glass
Good night and joy be to you all

And drink a health whate'er befalls
Then gently rise and softly call

Of all the comrades that e'er I had
They're sorry for my going away
And all the sweethearts that e'er I had
They would wish me one more day to stay

But since it fell into my lot
That I should rise and you should not
I'll gently rise and softly call

But since it fell into my lot
That I should rise and you should not
I'll gently rise and softly call

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I didn't want to usurp Bubbeh's lovely sign off but thought I would post on here to move it up to the front page so that Sue could find it easier. I am wanting to read through it again myself as my new itinerary has stops that are discussed in this thread. Enjoy the ride Sue it was fun