If June 1 is now the target U.S. economy reopen, does that mean cruises too?

Last night when they set forth the Phases to reopening America's economy they had not put a date on it.  Now today they are saying June 1st is the target for Phase 1.  This is much quicker than I had expected, considering the skyrocketing daily death toll in America.  Does this mean they are expecting cruising to resume much sooner than we all anticipated?  As in, perhaps by Fall?

image.thumb.png.d5eac631d401a7061dcd469cc8bb0d68.png

Don’t you think that last line stating that relaxing social distancing may be possible after June 1 is a bit of an overreach for having met Phase 1 conditions and moving on to ‘reopening the economy’.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 1

There was talk about how Carnival might implement social distancing by only having guests in every other outward facing open air room.  No interior bookings, no ocean view.  Balcony rooms only.  Basically greatly reducing passenger capacity.  And obviously going with that would be a complete overhaul with how their social gatherings on board would work as in dining, recreation and social venues such as shows.

6 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Don’t you think that last line stating that relaxing social distancing may be possible after June 1 is a bit of an overreach for having met Phase 1 conditions and moving on to ‘reopening the economy’.

It is the first step, and much sooner than I expected to see.  This is how the IHME defines "containment strategy"

image.png.74a29039df2321297949da65fe0e241b.png

Just now, adidas5676 said:

There was talk about how Carnival might implement social distancing by only having guests in every other outward facing open air room.  No interior bookings, no ocean view.  Balcony rooms only.  Basically greatly reducing passenger capacity.  And obviously going with that would be a complete overhaul with how their social gatherings on board would work as in dining, recreation and social venues such as shows.

If this was more than a talking pt, you couldnt book a interior room on carnival. BLEEP! 

Texas is going to retail on the go next friday, buy and pay online, drive up, load, leave or have delivered. The ups guy said he was instructed not to put the big box inside my house. Everyone acting like this is a wild and crazy idea. ... just to go pick up something that previously was non essential.

Phase 3 I heard might take 18 months, where travel is allowed. I hope sooner myself.

2 minutes ago, adidas5676 said:

It is the first step, and much sooner than I expected to see.  This is how the IHME defines "containment strategy"

.. and IHME models funded by Bill Gates and others also said 100k to 220k dead by may, their models are so good, NOT. 

• Like 2

Just now, firefly333 said:

.. and IHME models funded by Bill Gates and others also said 100k to 220k dead by may, their models are so good, NOT. 

Was that projection based on no social distancing guidelines and no economy shut-down that we eventually did implement in mid-March?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, adidas5676 said:

It'd be a completely restrictive, almost quarantine-like vacation.  Nothing like the cruises you remember experiencing.  Meanwhile, every time you hear a sneeze or cough, the sense of concern, panic, dread, etc will arise.   Yep, sounds like a fun time there.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, adidas5676 said:

Last night when they set forth the Phases to reopening America's economy they had not put a date on it.  Now today they are saying June 1st is the target for Phase 1.  This is much quicker than I had expected, considering the skyrocketing daily death toll in America.  Does this mean they are expecting cruising to resume much sooner than we all anticipated?  As in, perhaps by Fall?

image.thumb.png.d5eac631d401a7061dcd469cc8bb0d68.png

The date for various phases will differ from state to state.   The info above pertains to florida only.  I do not think it will be june 1st for everybody.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Someone does not understand "models".

Yea my MBA classes in statistics said those models are off the first time I heard the numbers. It's not me who was wrong. 

We had a expression in computers ... garbage in, garbage out that comes to mind

Edited by firefly333

14 minutes ago, adidas5676 said:

How fun would it be cruising on a ship when everyone has to steer clear away from everyone................why bother, just stay home.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, adidas5676 said:

Do you have a link about the 18 months for Phase 3? I haven't seen that one yet

Just someone randomly speculating ... garbage in, garbage out.

I hear a lot who keep saying wait for a vaccine in 18 months. May not ever be a vaccine. Life has to go on.

• Like 1

Phase 3 I heard might take 18 months, where travel is allowed. I hope sooner myself.

One of the health professionals on the local Covid-19 Task Force in our city said a vaccine would be needed before large events that attract thousands of people such as the New Years Eve or July 4th celebrations, music festivals, etc. would be held again. He said that would probably be 12-18 months. I would think cruises would follow a similar timeline since the CEO of Carnival stated that cruises would resume when large social gatherings such as concerts, fans at stadiums and arenas and other events were allowed.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

One of the health professionals on the local Covid-19 Task Force in our city said a vaccine would be needed before large events that attract thousands of people such as the New Years Eve or July 4th celebrations, music festivals, etc. would be held again. He said that would probably be 12-18 months. I would think cruises would follow a similar timeline since the CEO of Carnival stated that cruises would resume when large social gatherings such as concerts, fans at stadiums and arenas and other events were allowed.

That is interesting.  I really don't think cruise lines can survive 12-18 months before their first sailing resumes

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JT1962 said:

I've been following and heard one talking head say maybe with great good luck by the end of next winter.

Next guy says ya know we never did find a vaccine for HIV, or whatever. No one knows is the pt.

It's even possible as they find better drugs to treat this then they let us gather, idk. Just speculating like everyone else. I think a lot of the plans to open the economy and dates depend if your state has a Republican or Democrat governor from what I'm hearing. It's not my words, fox 4 local news said the Democrats were all against governor abbott doing the retail on the go plan, they want the economy to stay closed. It's way too political to me. 

Step at a time back. See how it goes. Crossing my fingers things get better.

• Like 3

I would cruise in Sept.

Ref waiting for a vaccine, i got a flu shot and still had the flu last Dec, super sick but less fever.  Maybe due to strains that mutate, flu is more complicated than Covid 19??

Edited by Etta1213

The problem is, Phases will not be the entire country, but area by area.

So I live in an area that is Phase 3 by June.  But your area is still not yet to Phase 1.  Do we both get to fly to a Phase 2 area and board a cruise ship?????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

The date for various phases will differ from state to state.   The info above pertains to florida only.  I do not think it will be june 1st for everybody.

Let’s think cruises out of Florida. If Florida opens up, what would prevent someone from another State with continued high COVID19 numbers from boarding???

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Let’s think cruises out of Florida. If Florida opens up, what would prevent someone from another State with continued high COVID19 numbers from boarding???

I think the simple answer to that is, if there are states with high virus rates, ships won't be sailing.

• Thanks 1

As long as the virus can spread from people without symptoms, there will have to be social distancing on a ship. Less passengers, more crew to service the few passengers. The ship will need the ability to quarantine a passenger if they come down with COVID. If a passenger is infected they cannot travel back home, this will happen. Each 7 day cruise could turn into a longer cruise. 

• Like 2