FC Certificate -2021

Nana57

I cancelled my cruise with the Cruise with Confidence, 8 days before my cruise was actually cancelled, when all the talk about this virus was going around.  My cruise was March 15.   I received a FCC good until December 2021. The amount is over $6,000. My husband will be 80 in 2021. I will not cruise without a vaccine for this virus. Should I book a cruise now with this certificate for November 2021 and then see if this vaccine is working or just hold onto the certificate and wait until next year to book a cruise. I really want my $6,000 back but Celebrity said no bc I cancelled before they cancelled. Is there way around all this?  Thank you. 

You and Celebrity must abide with the rules that were in place at the time of your cancellation.  I know that you would rather they be the rules that were applicable 8 days later, but then again if Celebrity had instead changed the rules to your determent after you cancelled then you would not want the worse rules applied to you either.

Since the FCC cannot be used to pay for the deposit on a future cruise (only to pay for the cruise fare at or before final payment date) there is no need to apply the FCC until right before final payment date. Thus if you book a cruise now, paying the deposit with your own funds - but later change your mind prior to final payment date and cancel and book a different cruise - you will be able to apply the FCC to the changed cruse as long as it departs on or before 12/31/21.

3 hours ago, Nana57 said:

I cancelled my cruise with the Cruise with Confidence, 8 days before my cruise was actually cancelled, when all the talk about this virus was going around.  My cruise was March 15.   I received a FCC good until December 2021. The amount is over $6,000. My husband will be 80 in 2021. I will not cruise without a vaccine for this virus. Should I book a cruise now with this certificate for November 2021 and then see if this vaccine is working or just hold onto the certificate and wait until next year to book a cruise. I really want my $6,000 back but Celebrity said no bc I cancelled before they cancelled. Is there way around all this?  Thank you. 

The other way around it is to book and do a name change from husband to a son or daughter.  I would wait till early next year.

Would be talking to a good TA on how best do things.

10 hours ago, jelayne said:

Celebrity has recently changed the dates for the FCC.  Now you must book by 12/31/21 and the cruise must depart by 4/30/22. 

Are you sure that is for all or just for the new ones being issued after that announcement.

8 minutes ago, Perky1 said:

Are you sure that is for all or just for the new ones being issued after that announcement.

I thought it was for suspended cruises only (not cwc cancellations) but just verified on the FAQ page https://www.celebritycruises.com/travel-alert/frequently-asked-questions that the new dates apply to both.   When viewing this page where they have consolidated all the FAQ pages make sure you are looking at the proper section for suspended vs cwc.

9 hours ago, jelayne said:

Celebrity has recently changed the dates for the FCC.  Now you must book by 12/31/21 and the cruise must depart by 4/30/22. 

We are in the same position as OP, except that our FCC is  for a lower amount. Thus, a smaller potential loss of $2,350 total. It says that our  "credit is based on the penalty amount held on your cancelled reservation" ,  which is accurate.

I am not comfortable believing there has been any oral  amendment to our  written FCC Certificate that X would apply or abide by regardless of what a Cruise Planner says,  or from a reading of several diff and somewhat confusing online directives.

Our Certif  clearly says it is good through 12/31/21.

Some specific language :

*  Any booking made using the Cruise with Confidence FCC must be used  for a sailing that commences on or before December 31, 2021.

*  If the  Cruise With Confidence is not redeemed and sailed on  on or before December 31, 2021, the certificate will automatically expire and have no value.

* FCCs are only valid for the cruises on Celebrity Cruise ships, are not transferable, and may not be redeemed for cash.

I have read confusing info but our Certificate is fairly clear.  Not sure how it might interplay with the  "fit to cruise requirements", which were not made known to us when we took the FCC.

23 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I thought it was for suspended cruises only (not cwc cancellations) but just verified on the FAQ page https://www.celebritycruises.com/travel-alert/frequently-asked-questions that the new dates apply to both.   When viewing this page where they have consolidated all the FAQ pages make sure you are looking at the proper section for suspended vs cwc.

Thank you....for  the link

I  re read and located the  Cruise With Confidence FAQ...see below

Edited by hcat

I  read it again and  found what you referenced:

"Yes. All Cruise with Confidence Future Cruise Credits must be redeemed by December 31, 2021, for sailings departing on or before April 30, 2022."

Do you think Celebrity would be willing to issue an amended Certif with the new deadlines?

Based on how they operate, there is a strong lack of trust , esp when my Certif has other language.

16 minutes ago, hcat said:

"Yes. All Cruise with Confidence Future Cruise Credits must be redeemed by December 31, 2021, for sailings departing on or before April 30, 2022."

Do you think Celebrity would be willing to issue an amended Certif with the new deadlines?

Based on how they operate, there is a strong lack of trust , esp when my Certif has other language.

Why not just print out the relevant info from their T&Cs page, date it,  and keep it with the FCC if you really think they won’t abide by their own T&Cs. 

I suspect they are a little busy right now issuing the first lot of FCCs

Edited by little britain

48 minutes ago, little britain said:

Why not just print out the relevant info from their T&Cs page, date it,  and keep it with the FCC if you really think they won’t abide by their own T&Cs. 

I suspect they are a little busy right now issuing the first lot of FCCs

The Certificate  appears to  be a carefully drafted legal doument  Oral modifications announced on FAQ s may not stand up,  and the number of the FCC is no doubt logged in some computer list.

But we are not in a rush right now

Still waiting on one deposit refund to filter through the system. 

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Those of us waiting for refunds and FCCs (with undoubtedly more cancellations to come) hope they don’t have to stop the process to reissue the existing FCCs.

3 hours ago, jelayne said:

Those of us waiting for refunds and FCCs (with undoubtedly more cancellations to come) hope they don’t have to stop the process to reissue the existing FCCs.

Obviously, it is  not a priority to get  it now.. We are also waiting on a refund of a deposit,  a review of one by card co,  and have waited for others to come through.

If they would trade our FCC ( issued before notice about the  over 70 med note  req) for a refund, we would probably jump on it as would many others who may be stuck with useless paper!