Shoe Holder for Cabin Stuff

INeedAMaiTai

8 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Never used one. Never plan to do so. I'm sure someone here will have a recommendation but I just never saw the need.

My mom is blind and that is one place where she can put things that the room steward won't move around.  It easier for her to stay organized.  Last time we had to just hang it in the closet, which was a pain in the ass.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, INeedAMaiTai said:

My mom is blind and that is one place where she can put things that the room steward won't move around.  It easier for her to stay organized.  Last time we had to just hang it in the closet, which was a pain in the ass.

Definitely a "hard row to hoe" but it's good she can cruise. I've worked with blind and deaf folks and had close friends who were severely disabled. Our oldest son broke his neck in the army at age 20 (he's 45 now) and has been a "high functioning" quad ever since. He cruised with us twice but decided it's not for him - although he may try a different line one of these days. (He liked the first cruise - 10 days - a lot but the 14 day cruise seemed a bit too long for his taste. Like I said, someone here will likely be able to suggest a usable shoe hanger. I've seen a lot of posts about them in the past.

13 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Definitely a "hard row to hoe" but it's good she can cruise. I've worked with blind and deaf folks and had close friends who were severely disabled. Our oldest son broke his neck in the army at age 20 (he's 45 now) and has been a "high functioning" quad ever since. He cruised with us twice but decided it's not for him - although he may try a different line one of these days. (He liked the first cruise - 10 days - a lot but the 14 day cruise seemed a bit too long for his taste.

This is the only way she likes to travel.  She is elite, so she likes the perks.  And, she likes that she can unpack once and familiarize herself with one location while visiting many places.  She and my kids stay in one cabin (the kids actually float between our cabins) and my husband and I in another.  It's total chaos traveling with her, but she enjoys it and so do we.

• Like 1

I’ve used string (or strong ribbon) on the shoe holder, then put the string over the bathroom door and attached it to the hook on the inside of the door. I’ve also used strong magnets and attached it to the wall, usually behind the cabin door. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Starshine95123 said:

I’ve used string (or strong ribbon) on the shoe holder, then put the string over the bathroom door and attached it to the hook on the inside of the door. I’ve also used strong magnets and attached it to the wall, usually behind the cabin door. 

Thanks!  Great idea!

1 hour ago, INeedAMaiTai said:

On my last trip, the hooks for my shoe holder hooks didn't fit the threshold at the top of the door.  Does anyone have any recommendations where I can get super thin ones that'll work with the doors?

On at least one cruise line, they've banned over the door holders (for just that reason - it damages the door/frame).  Many people who use them have modified them to hang from the various hooks in the room/bathroom.  Some just use the hanger in the closet that have the little clamp type holders.

I've used the trick with heavy twine threaded through the holes in the top of the holder, then tied to the hook on the other side of the door. It worked fine. If you only have butchers twine, just double it up.

Get some strong magnetic hooks, and then you could hang it either on the door or a wall. I use magnetic hooks to run a clothes line, when I’m on a ship with no self service laundries. (I prefer to do my own). Amazon has a lot of choices.

On 4/21/2020 at 6:04 PM, INeedAMaiTai said:

On my last trip, the hooks for my shoe holder hooks didn't fit the threshold at the top of the door.  Does anyone have any recommendations where I can get super thin ones that'll work with the doors?

I found these on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Misslo-Packs-Over-Door-Metal/dp/B013SBC2AI/ref=sr_1_31?crid=3V69IA5N9GJDL&dchild=1&keywords=over+the+door+hook&qid=1587594329&sprefix=over+the+door%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-31  You may be able to find something similar at Lowes, Home Depot, or a neighborhood hardware store. 

18 hours ago, beachbum53 said:

I found these on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Misslo-Packs-Over-Door-Metal/dp/B013SBC2AI/ref=sr_1_31?crid=3V69IA5N9GJDL&dchild=1&keywords=over+the+door+hook&qid=1587594329&sprefix=over+the+door%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-31  You may be able to find something similar at Lowes, Home Depot, or a neighborhood hardware store. 

These are perfect!  Thank you!

Pack of six magnetic hooks solved the problem for me. Got a set of six that holds up to 50 pounds off Amazon for under $10 and they have proved their worth! I use 4 for the shoe organizer and it holds just fine with our beach shoes, sun screen, bug spray, my makeup, curling iron, and a bunch of other odds and ends. Just now looked and I found a set of 4 that holds 100 pounds under $10 if you want to be extra safe. 

• Like 1