Attention Over 70 Year Old Cruisers

dag144

On 4/21/2020 at 10:18 PM, dag144 said:

There is talk of lines suspending us over 70 from cruising without a doctor's our doctor's OK.  I know that lines would hate having to impose this restriction, but could it come to pass?  There is some precedent.  Freighters put an age limit on passengers, particularly if the ship does not have a doctor on board.  Precedent is precedent so I am going to wait until the waters are more clear.  What about you?

I just posted on another thread about this.  I called Princess several days ago to discuss the health advisory.  I said if a doctor examined me within 7 days of sailing, and said any recurring conditions are managed with medications, and I am fit to travel, would that suffice?  A big resounding "YES!!" on the other end of the call.

Just go to the doctor and get a visit summary that states you are fit to travel, etc., as stated above.  Just another thing to add to the checklist, IMO.

10 hours ago, pcur said:

I just posted on another thread about this.  I called Princess several days ago to discuss the health advisory.  I said if a doctor examined me within 7 days of sailing, and said any recurring conditions are managed with medications, and I am fit to travel, would that suffice?  A big resounding "YES!!" on the other end of the call.

Just go to the doctor and get a visit summary that states you are fit to travel, etc., as stated above.  Just another thing to add to the checklist, IMO.

This sound good.  I hope it works out.

I don't see a way for the cruise lines to make a profit without allowing the over 70 crowd and those with medical conditions on board.  People of all ages might have a medical condition.  I don't know if they will be able to fill their ships with out that demographic.  There are a lot of ships and cabins to fill.

Also, now there are many people who will not sail for a while or may never sail again because of being afraid of being stuck on a sick ship.  The face of cruising has now been forever changed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, geocruiser said:

This sound good.  I hope it works out.

I don't see a way for the cruise lines to make a profit without allowing the over 70 crowd and those with medical conditions on board.  People of all ages might have a medical condition.  I don't know if they will be able to fill their ships with out that demographic.  There are a lot of ships and cabins to fill.

Also, now there are many people who will not sail for a while or may never sail again because of being afraid of being stuck on a sick ship.  The face of cruising has now been forever changed.

The Customer Service Rep told me they were primarily concerned about passengers with chronic lung and breathing issues, or compromised immune systems (HIV, cancer, serious stuff).  I told her if they blocked people who have stable chronic conditions that are managed with medications, they would lose half their customers!!

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 11:07 PM, AF-1 said:

The health info that was sent out is telling passengers to call Princess if you have a chronic or underlying health condition.  I assume Princess medical team will look at your chronic condition and make a decision to allow you to cruise with your condition or require you have  letter from doctor stating you can cruise with your medical condition.  Example; someone who has chronic asthma which makes them  cough or breathing issues.  To some lay person who sees this passenger coughing onboard may tell ship staff that this person should not be allowed on ship.  They have no idea the person has chronic asthma.  This is why Princess is asking people to call them prior to showing up at port and then being denied boarding.  I would not want to fly to Australia or Europe only to be told; sorry you can't board.  

Years ago Princess had a form you could complete if you had health issues - this was different to the Travelers Health Declaration. When I was new to cruising I emailed it off to Princess just so they where aware of my health issue - no problem. Maybe they will just bring this back. Initially there was an age limit on some information from cruise lines but it was quickly removed. You can have very healthy 80 year olds and very sick 60 year olds so didn't make sense to make it a blanket thing.

• Like 1

This has been stated by Royal Caribbean in a webinar with Travel Agents:

In a video presentation to travel agents, Royal Caribbean's Senior Vice President of Sales and Trade Support, Vicki Freed, confirmed that the notes would no longer be required once cruise operations resume.

"We found out that CLIA did actually change this requirement on April 3rd," said Freed. "A health form is no longer required for those travelers ages 70 plus, nor are there restrictions for those guests with underlying health conditions."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

Well finally they have made a good decision.  Yea.  I am not near age 70; but if I were this article would be good news

it did my heart good to read this article.   🥰

I could not imagine Princess leaving all 70+ on shore as they are a significant presence on most cruises particularly the longer ones.  They would be leaving a large amount of revenue.  My doctor told me a few years ago that 70 is the new 60 due to better nutrition and living standards.  

• Like 2