The loyalty of MSC passengers.......

Mattnvick

The link below is the whole article. The piece below that it is a quote from it.

Is the reason MSC pax opting for FCC is so high is because the basically they werent offering a refund to the majority (US being the exception). 

If you read the article without knowing the whole picture the "loyalty" of MSC's clients might impress you.......Way to spin things MSC😱🙈 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5284/?et_cid=3327335&et_rid=185661849&et_referrer=Boards

....."In the case of MSC Cruises, the percentage is even higher -- between 80 to 85 percent of passengers are rebooking rather than opting for a refund, according to the UK Managing Director, Antonio Paradiso".......

I booked on the Canadian site. Only the FCC was offered for the cruise they cancelled.

Perhaps, it doesn't make much difference. AFAIK, MSC has make no funding arrangement with the banks or the debt market. So, they're paying the refunds from cash flow. Negative cash flow. So, don't expect the CC refund anytime soon.

My advise to the Americans is to force a refund through their CC company after 3 months.

2 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

I booked on the Canadian site. Only the FCC was offered for the cruise they cancelled.

Perhaps, it doesn't make much difference. AFAIK, MSC has make no funding arrangement with the banks or the debt market. So, they're paying the refunds from cash flow. Negative cash flow. So, don't expect the CC refund anytime soon.

My advise to the Americans is to force a refund through their CC company after 3 months.

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

Well, we opted freely for FCC, and have no regrets.  We expect to cruise on MSC again as soon as we can, and we have faith in their future.

Happyinvan we are too are in the same boat (excuse the oun) as we are in Canada.

Shipgeek from a personal PoV firstly had a refund even been offered i would quite possibly gone for the FCC. What i object to here in Canada  is not even being given the choice. Unless you count a choice as being offered a refund in nearly 2 years time. Personally i don't. 

Also this  was a trip with our kids and partners  for our anniversary and being able to all get together for a week in the future will be nigh on impossible. Had it been just dh and I  that would be different. 

I suspect that MSC has turned off much of the world by only offering FCC. I am thankful I am in the USA where they offered (but have yet to deliver) a full cash refund. Other cruise lines are also stalling on returning monies, but their overall policies seem more consumer friendly. 

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I suspect that MSC has turned off much of the world by only offering FCC. I am thankful I am in the USA where they offered (but have yet to deliver) a full cash refund. Other cruise lines are also stalling on returning monies, but their overall policies seem more consumer friendly. 

I'm not an expert but I really believe that if the cruise is sold within the European Union they really can't refuse to give a full cash refund if they cancel the cruise.

48 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I'm not an expert but I really believe that if the cruise is sold within the European Union they really can't refuse to give a full cash refund if they cancel the cruise.

I've seen reports that the cruise lines have been and are currently lobbying governments to allow only giving a FCC that reverts to a refund at the end of 2021, specifically in Germany and UK.

7 minutes ago, Até said:

I've seen reports that the cruise lines have been and are currently lobbying governments to allow only giving a FCC that reverts to a refund at the end of 2021, specifically in Germany and UK.

UK customers since this week can apply for a refund though the website says it may take up to 120 days, those who want the FCC can use it up to January 2021 for cruises up to December 2021.

1 minute ago, sidari said:

UK customers since this week can apply for a refund though the website says it may take up to 120 days, those who want the FCC can use it up to January 2021 for cruises up to December 2021.

Yes, I've seen that compromise.  I was referring to that the cruise lines/ABTA were lobbying hard to get an even better deal.  With more and more cancellations we'll see how these deals holds up.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Até said:

I think that the consumer laws here are too strong for lobbying to have any effect. Maybe they can get changes for the future but not for cruises already booked now.

8 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I think that the consumer laws here are too strong for lobbying to have any effect. Maybe they can get changes for the future but not for cruises already booked now.

It sounds like the UK is the only European market where MSC has given ground. There are lots of complaints on FB from Germans not getting refunds. 

Edited by ssmea03

21 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I know you deleted the thread- but you have spiked my curiosity- why is offering cash refunds to USA customers “about to change”?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I spoke to MSC this week. She stated that the system showed that my booking was currently being worked on for a full refund. The status of the booking also changed this week on the website from active to contact MSC with questions. We asked for a full refund on 3/30 and I have the email from MSC stating that. I have no doubt that it will happen.

Back in mid February we canceled our April cruise on the Grandiosa out of Barcelona. We were within the fifty percent penalty phase which they could have kept and fully expected to lose the money as at that time no cruises had been canceled by any cruise line. They refunded every penny owed to us and very quickly. I do expect this to take longer this time (60 days) due to the high volume of refunds. Last night my refund was applied to my cc from Celebrity on our B2B that they canceled. I asked for the refund on 3/15. Wish I could say the same for United. Only a credit for our LAX to BCN flights. They have a very large amount of our money.

2 hours ago, ssmea03 said:

It sounds like the UK is the only European market where MSC has given ground. There are lots of complaints on FB from Germans not getting refunds. 

There are complains now but in the end I can't see that the cruiselines can deny cash refunds if they cancel the cruise.

8 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

There are complains now but in the end I can't see that the cruiselines can deny cash refunds if they cancel the cruise.

I agree, they would like to delay it until they are sailing again, but definitely for as long as possible. But in the end, if they don't go out of business, they will pay up.

1 hour ago, cruisingator2 said:

We asked for a full refund on 3/30 and I have the email from MSC stating that. I have no doubt that it will happen.

Can you please let me know when you get your full refund? I applied for a full refund on 3/14 and still nothing :(. 

I admire your positivism regarding getting the refund! Truly I do. Unfortunately,  I don't share the same belief, but I am going to give MSC 90 days before I refute on my Credit card.  IF MSC refunds before me having to take measures, I will be sure to post the positive outcome here.

59 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Can you please let me know when you get your full refund? I applied for a full refund on 3/14 and still nothing :(. 

I admire your positivism regarding getting the refund! Truly I do. Unfortunately,  I don't share the same belief, but I am going to give MSC 90 days before I refute on my Credit card.  IF MSC refunds before me having to take measures, I will be sure to post the positive outcome here.

Will do. My email received from MSC stated that it could take up to sixty days. I expect that as they want to hold onto the money as long as possible and the amount of refunds. 

• Like 1

Interesting article. Obviously doesn't apply to those in the USA, but things in the EU are looking bleak. Unless I'm missing something, I see nothing in the document  that prevents a travel company from going bankrupt and defaulting on all passengers (which should be the consumers greatest concern IMO).

1 hour ago, Até said:

After a quick read my conclusion is that in most countries the customer will get a cash refund but it may be delayed.

In countries where a cash refund isn't mentioned we still don't know what will happen in the end. Maybe a government which have approved a "no cash refund" change of the rules will fall if the citizens in that country won't agree about it.

19 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

Would anyone pay their Final Payment to MSC this year ?  Can you trust MSC ?

Personally, It would take a substantial loss of deposit for me to even consider making a final payment to any cruise line at the moment.  If you can get out of it without taking a hit on the deposit, I'd to that in a NY second.  If the deposit fee is a minimal amount I'd probably elect that loss too. Chances are, if the cruise actually sails, you can repurchase  last minute at a deep discount and recover the deposit penalty anyway. Of course, this is just me talking, no one knows how this is all going to unfold. 

I would say the majority of MSC's customers will take a substantial loss of deposit if they don't make final payment.  And I question whether MSC's US policy of "fully" refundable deposits (until final payment) will continue.