When will you feel comfortable going on a cruise again?

cruiseagona

On 5/1/2020 at 5:06 PM, vpearlkc said:

Get up to speed even the president has quit talking about hydroxychloroquine, Remdesivir is the new great hope.

There will be many more new great hopes in reducing severity of covid19. The on patent drugs will probably be most used but their effectiveness will likely be marginal compared to the off patent drugs.

And don’t believe the air in your cabin is safe either regardless of what claim here on cruise critic. First of all your cabin is not isolated. Air just does not work like that. If it did they wouldn’t need isolation chambers would they. Be afraid. Be very afraid. What will they do if someone someone on the ship shows symptoms?  Quarrentine the ship for 14 days?  How did that work out for Princess?  

• Like 2

Well, for the USA ... just my semi-educated opinions living rather near the country's ground zero and seeing/hearing some of it up front & close, I say at the moment - going to PAUSE again to wait & see what the good folks at CDC, FDA and the WH Task Force got to say and handle themselves first, being in quarantine & isolation ... fairly silent this past 48 hours, no briefing/updates on progress.   Lead by example - do as they say, not as they do.  Ooops.  

It is 'not' just CDC guidelines and whether ships can sail from/to US ports - also whether other countries around the world, Europe, Asia & Down Under will use/follow similar protocols and/or impose even stricter measures.  Imagine just what could possibly go wrong.  Look not at just what we are doing and not doing now, but what countries like South Korea, Singapore and E.U. are doing as their numbers spike up again. 

One might look silly wearing a mask but heck, it might save a life or two ... even my tiny stockpile of old, expired N95 masks as we've been in self-isolation in the past from possible exposure to TB (PPD tested annually as required at work).  It was never a joy to work around SARS, Swine Flu, Avian Flu & Measles outbreak, etc. but this is like/worst than Ebola.  All the immunization shots & vaccine needed are up-to-date, except Covid-19.  

As much as I/we want to sail and cruise to take our vacation to relax, the statistics and numbers just aren't making a strong case for it ... not for me/us.  Hope is good, I agree.  Faith is not mitigation.  

Edited by mking8288

7 hours ago, Sam Ting said:

And don’t believe the air in your cabin is safe either regardless of what claim here on cruise critic. First of all your cabin is not isolated. Air just does not work like that. If it did they wouldn’t need isolation chambers would they. Be afraid. Be very afraid. What will they do if someone someone on the ship shows symptoms?  Quarrentine the ship for 14 days?  How did that work out for Princess?  

I have just had a family member board a plane at Heathrow.  Despite all of the measures that must be being made in London at the moment, to quote “social distancing does not work at airports”.  

Well that limits me to Barcelona cruises.  Not a biggie because I do love my Western Med cruises.  It got me thinking though.  When wondering about how soon I would go on a cruise My first thoughts were about the need to use the stairs not the lift, moving the tables further apart in the dining room and we would be likely to get a balcony and stay more in our room to avoid sitting near to someone on deck.    But queues are unavoidable.  

So now I am rethinking the impossibility of cruising.  How will we check in for the big ships???   No more queuing for tenders or tickets for shows.  What will lunch on Day 1 be like if we all have to stand two metres apart??????  Then there are what brings in the crowds: no more art auctions/touring the spa/Captain’s parties/white nights/$10 sales.  These activities generate revenue for the ships and without them the bottom line cost will have to go up.  

Until we get that magic vaccination to build up the herd immunity, I think that my cruise to the fjords is going to have to remain on hold.  

On 5/1/2020 at 6:10 PM, Corliss said:

Take your own advice...."Get up to speed."  If you had bothered to read the links I provided you would see the Hydroxychloroquine/ZPack is the global preferred therapy. 

I tried to tell you you were behind the times on Plaquenil. Instead of just believing everything you read on the internet, perhaps speak to actual doctors who are treating Covid-19 patients (and not with Plaquenil.)

25 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

I tried to tell you you were behind the times on Plaquenil. Instead of just believing everything you read on the internet, perhaps speak to actual doctors who are treating Covid-19 patients (and not with Plaquenil.)

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.27.20073379v1

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.27.20073379v1.full.pdf+html

All 568 patients received comparable basic treatments including antiviral drugs and antibiotics, and 48 of them additionally received oral hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) treatment (200 mg twice a day for 7-10 days). 

Primary endpoint is mortality of patients, and inflammatory cytokines levels were compared between hydroxychloroquine and non-hydroxychloroquine (NHCQ) treatments. 

MAIN OUTCOMES AND MEASURES: In-hospital death and hospital stay time (day) were obtained, level of inflammatory cytokine (IL-6) was measured and compared between HCQ and NHCQ treatments.

RESULTS: The median age of 568 critically ill patients is 68 (57, 76) years old with 37.0% being female. Mortalities are 18.8% (9/48) in HCQ group and 45.8% (238/520) in NHCQ group (p<0.001). 

The time of hospital stay before patient death is 15 (10-21) days and 8 (4 - 14) days for the HCQ and NHCQ groups, respectively (p<0.05). 

The level of inflammatory cytokine IL-6 was significantly lowered from 22.2 (8.3-118.9) pg/mL at the beginning of the treatment to 5.2 (3.0-23.4) pg/ml (p<0.05) at the end of the treatment in the HCQ group but there is no change in the NHCQ group. 

CONCLUSIONS AND RELEVANCE: Hydroxychloroquine treatment is significantly associated with a decreased mortality in critically ill patients with COVID-19 through attenuation of inflammatory cytokine storm. Therefore, hydroxychloroquine should be prescribed for treatment of critically ill COVID-19 patients to save lives.

13 hours ago, Corliss said:

CONCLUSIONS AND RELEVANCE: Hydroxychloroquine treatment is significantly associated with a decreased mortality in critically ill patients with COVID-19 through attenuation of inflammatory cytokine storm. Therefore, hydroxychloroquine should be prescribed for treatment of critically ill COVID-19 patients to save lives.

You can't only read the parts of an admittedly NON PEER REVIEWED study which actually states it should not be used for clinical practice! If you want to ascertain facts, you need to have an open mind and not be hyper-focused on trying to win an argument. 

20200511_173841.jpg

2 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

You can't only read the parts of an admittedly NON PEER REVIEWED study which actually states it should not be used for clinical practice! If you want to ascertain facts, you need to have an open mind and not be hyper-focused on trying to win an argument. 

20200511_173841.jpg

https://aapsonline.org/hcq-90-percent-chance/

April 28, 2020

Hydroxychloroquine Has about 90 Percent Chance of Helping COVID-19 Patients

In a letter to Gov. Doug Ducey of Arizona, the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (AAPS) presents a frequently updated table of studies that report results of treating COVID-19 with the anti-malaria drugs chloroquine (CQ) and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ, Plaquenil®).

To date, the total number of reported patients treated with HCQ, with or without zinc and the widely used antibiotic azithromycin, is 2,333, writes AAPS, in observational data from China, France, South Korea, Algeria, and the U.S. Of these, 2,137 or 91.6 percent improved clinically.

Here is the link to the "frequently updated table" of studies that report results:  The probabilities of clinical success using hydroxychloroquine, azithromycin and zinc against the novel betacoronavirus, COVID-19. 

It is a 10 page list.   https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w6p_HqRXCrW0_wYNK7m_zpQLbBVYcvVU/view

Here again is the link to the global SERMO survey of 20,000 physicians across 30 countries.

Sermo's COVID-19 Real Time Barometer

The COVID-19 Real Time Barometer Study provides exclusive access into the perspectives and expertise of over 20,000 total physicians across 30 countries, tracked over time.

5/7 Results: 55% of global physicians use Hydroxychloroquine, 24% use Tocilizumab, 21% use Remdesivir, and 17% use Plasma.

"Please indicate which medications you are currently using to treat COVID-19 patients In the hospital (moderate-severe symptoms, excluding ICU patients)."

Hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil) or Chloroquine

59%
Azithromycin or similar antibiotics

59%
Anti-HIV drugs (e.g. Lopinavir plus Ritonavir – Kaletra)

29%
Tocilizumab (Actemra)

24%
Plasma from patients who have recovered from COVID-19 (convalescent plasma)

19%
Remdesivir

19%
Oseltamivir (Tamiflu)

15%
Interferon-beta

13%
None of the above

12%
Zinc

12%

Because you have had covid I have tried very hard to be polite with you which has been a challenge because of your difficult personality.  But. you have worn out my patience and good will.  I will put you on ignore now.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

3 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

PS I have previously shared with you another article which references the same study you keep posting, but you've chosen to ignore that.

It's a waste of time to use facts in an attempt to convince this poster that they're wrong. The poster just put you on "ignore" just like I was a few days ago. This person's a troll of the worst kind.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Corliss said:

Because you have had covid I have tried very hard to be polite with you which has been a challenge because of your difficult personality.  But. you have worn out my patience and good will.  I will put you on ignore now.

I truly hope she has put me on Ignore because she has continually tried to stop me from sharing important information about Covid-19.

I just came through a tough bout with Covid-19 that has lasted 2 months (caught it on a cruise ship but that doesn't even matter.) I cannot donate plasma yet, because I am still symptomatic. I don't know that I'll ever be back to "normal", but it seems that that mine is the typical experience of Covid-19 survivors.

This disease is NO JOKE.  I love cruising (I normally cruise 6-8 times a year) and I WILL cruise again, but not now and not anytime soon.  People keep saying that cruise ships are a controlled environment, but three Oasis of the Seas team members have died in the last few weeks without any passengers onboard! It has nothing to do with how well the ships are being sanitized and whether one cruise line has a better track record than another. It has to do with the fact that this disease is very virulent and highly contagious.

I started responding to Corliss in another thread because she posted that she is just going to pack a Z-pack and some Plaquenil and she'll be fine and dandy on a cruise. LET HER DO THAT. That is her business. But I am posting here, as someone who has actually had this disease, to spread the word that it is not that easy. Not by a long shot.  Respect this virus and the damage that it can do to you or to your loved ones.

If you want to know what it's really like to go through Covid-19, google Survivor Corps. It's an online group of actual Covid-19 patients.  Read REAL stories, of REAL people and REAL cases.  See how many suffered permanent heart damage after taking Plaquenil with a Z-Pak.  Read the effects of wrong treatments and bad treatments. And read stories of survival.

I survived Covid-19 and I am beyond thankful (I did not take Plaquenil by the way - my doctor knew the heart implications.) Please do not believe you can just pop a few pills and beat this disease.  It doesn't work that way, and don't be lulled into a false sense of security by someone who tries to tell you that it does.

I won't change everyone's mind I know, but if I have saved even one life by sharing my experience it has been worth it.

Everyone please stay safe!! 😷😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

in 10 days i would feel comfortable to go but cautious  . too bad it was cancelled .  by july id be very comfortable , still no cruises. 😒

I wish I had your confidence. I will cancel our April 2021 Breakaway cruise sometime before the December deadline for final payment.

2 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

Why????

Because the final payment is four months before the sailing. After seeing what has happened to people trying to get their money back during this mess going on now I don't want to get $3500 tied up if the corona virus flares up again in 20-2021 winter season. If things look fine in April 2021 I may look for a last minute cruise. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 10:06 AM, cruiseagona said:

No need to be snarky. And I'm not judging. I don't want to get ill. Don't talk to me about being a prisoner in my own home. You don't know me, so don't judge me by what I ask! We just returned from being away for 6 weeks. We lost our daughter 9 months ago and have moved halfway across the country to be close to our two granddaughters. You are judging, not me!

I'm so sorry for your loss.