Will people on biologic drugs (Humira, Entyvio, Stelara, Remicade, et al) be allowed to sail anymore?

Cruising Forever!

2 hours ago, Cruising Forever! said:

The new "guidelines" don't even mention this being related to covid19!  It's just a blanket declaration as far as I can see.  If it was about Covid19, what would people with chronic conditions have to do with this?  It's all stupid!

I do not see a reason to get too worked up over these restrictions since I don't think they will ever be enforced.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, weedpindle said:

Why do people keep posting about what will be. No body knows. Don't let your shorts get into a wad about this.

The three most common things cruisers do is cruise, brag and *****.

With #1 and #2 shutdown...

3 hours ago, weedpindle said:

Why do people keep posting about what will be. No body knows. Don't let your shorts get into a wad about this.

Because it's the announced guidelines.  And if they put you on a list of exclusions, tell me again about not letting "your shorts get into a wad".  It's easy to say if it's no concern.

For 2020 cruises, it's likely that Princess and the other cruise lines will have very strict restrictions.....they want to get back sailing, but don't want any problems.  They would rather sail with empty cabins then to have another health/publicity disaster.  However as things settle down....translated, that means when there is a vaccine....the restrictions will be greatly eased.  If you are over 70 or have any critical conditions, I wouldn't suggest planning/booking a cruise in 2020.   We fit in the old and maybe critical condition (who knows how they will define it) and we are planning and booking cruises in 2021/22.  If things don't work out...we book refundable fares, so nothing lost.  Alternatively, we'll just rent a house somewhere in the world and enjoy a nice two week vacation without a ship.  

Edited by ghstudio
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ghstudio said:

For 2020 cruises, it's likely that Princess and the other cruise lines will have very strict restrictions.....they want to get back sailing, but don't want any problems.  They would rather sail with empty cabins then to have another health/publicity disaster. 

Anyone of any age can catch the virus. Even one case on a ship, no matter what the age of the patient, will generate that bad publicity.

As mentioned above, those over a certain age are more likely to die from the complications of the virus than those under that age. Looking at data on the CDC web site, once you are 55 years old mortality rates increase.

• Like 1

I am hoping this is just the cruise lines wanting to appear super vigilant so that the powers that be will stop recommending cruise bans!  When they see how few people qualify to cruise they will have to relax the rules.

• Like 1

Just found this on another thread!  If this is how all the cruise lines will word it, it seems to be more about the virus than the medical conditions.Therefore will become irrelevant when the virus is gone!

Not techy so can't figure out how to upload the letter but here is part of it:

The above-noted patient is seventy years old or above and wishes to sail onboard a Celebrity Cruises cruise ship departing on ____________________________. I hereby certify that this patient does not suffer from any chronic illness (e.g. heart, lung, liver or kidney disease or immunodeficiency status due to HIV/AIDS, cancer or diabetes) which would make this patient susceptible to complications arising after infection with the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)/COVID-19. I attest that this person is fit to sail on a cruise vacation

This is from Celebrity/Royal Caribbean.

On 4/26/2020 at 10:29 AM, BarbinMich said:

Seems to me that trying get such a document from a busy physician's office (with multiple doctors and many, many patients) would be difficult--not exactly a high priority for them.

When you book your cruise, you book your appointment with your doctor within 7 days of sailing.  Take in Princess' form to be filled out, get a printout or statement of your temperature and general state of health on that date, and declaration you are fit to travel.

princess-travelers-health-declaration.pdf

These guidelines were released early March prior to the pause in cruising.  The first week of April, CLIA retracted these guidelines.  The individual cruise lines are a little late in removing the restrictions.  Maybe they are busy with cancelled cruises, refunds, FCC or something.  In any event, as of right now, it is not believed there will be any restrictions.  However, with that said, it is always good to check with your personal physician who knows you and your condition prior to travel, cruise or otherwise.  

• 5 months later...
6 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

Any updates on this subject?  We have booked a short cruise in January and are wondering if we will have to take a Covid test at our own expense?  

Any thoughts?   

Main thought is that nobody knows yet.

Actually, nobody knows if your January cruise will actually occur.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gmjc2 said:

It is my birthday cruise and we have not cruised in a year so crossing fingers and toes for this one to sail!

If the ship does sail expect lots of pandemic related protocols.

Edited by skynight

Do not have a problem with Covid protocols. The mandatory cruise line shore excursions would bother us if it was a long, port intensive cruise but this is just Bahamas. We will stay on the ship in Nassau as we have been there a million times! We will snorkel on the private island though.

Been wearing masks for 7 months so are used to them now. If the elevator is full we will wait for another. We will have to give ourselves more time to get where we need to be.  Hopefully the buffet is still open even if it is in a different form. We are not main dining room users.

16 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

I'm hoping the arrival of a vaccine will change a lot of this.  We have 3 cruises booked in 2021 but will not be on any of them if we do not have access to a vaccine.

Same here. Don't have any interest in boarding a ship with another 1,000 people where even a single person can become the source of infections which can be carried home when disembarking. We will wait it out, a year, two years whatever it takes. 

On 10/28/2020 at 10:59 AM, TeaBag said:

I'm hoping the arrival of a vaccine will change a lot of this.  We have 3 cruises booked in 2021 but will not be on any of them if we do not have access to a vaccine.

I was just thinking this myself.  A vaccine is a game-changer, and I will guess the letter from one's doctor plus proof of vaccine will be required for passengers over 70.

7 hours ago, pcur said:

I was just thinking this myself.  A vaccine is a game-changer, and I will guess the letter from one's doctor plus proof of vaccine will be required for passengers over 70.

I have seen nothing in current and proposed protocols that says such a letter/form would be required.

11 hours ago, caribill said:

I have seen nothing in current and proposed protocols that says such a letter/form would be required.

I was just commenting on earlier posts where the CDC did require that in April.