Cruising 2021

Elevatorman

My DH and I are here in Fort Lauderdale where we moved 20 years ago to be close to the cruise port. We are lucky enough to have 50 cruises under our belt. Our next booked cruise os on Enchanted Princess next January. I feel that when the time comes to make a final decision to go or not we will not sail. I don’t know what will change by that time. I just don’t trust others to do the right thing. Even in our community, couples that should have quarantined did not. And when the ship takes your temperature before you board, it’s only your temperature at that moment, it’s not tomorrow’s temperature.  
i wouldn’t mind betting a few bucks that we will be safe on a ship, but I don’t want to get my life. Anyone else having these feelings.?

• Like 1

We feel exactly the same way.  Most especially because of the recent behaviour of the cruise industry.  I believe that when this shakes out the cruising public will begin to view the cruise lines in an entirely different light.  Not the wonderful on board crews, but their corporate masters.

We have little confidence in their commitment to our health.  A resumption of cruising will not in any way imply to us that it is safe or that it is worth risking our good health for a few days at sea.

We do not understand some of the posters who seem to want to get back to cruising in late summer or in the fall.  Besides the health issue there is an enjoyment issue.  Who wants to cruise on a ship with restrictions, who wants to cruise on a ship where there is a good chance that some or many of the port stops listed on the itinerary will in fact be open.  Let alone the venues in those port stops.

20 minutes ago, iancal said:

We do not understand some of the posters who seem to want to get back to cruising in late summer or in the fall.  Besides the health issue there is an enjoyment issue.  Who wants to cruise on a ship with restrictions, who wants to cruise on a ship where there is a good chance that some or many of the port stops listed on the itinerary will in fact be open.  Let alone the venues in those port stops.

I agree 100%.  There seems to be a level of denial for some posters about when cruising will resume and what it will look like.  Various government officials and agencies have repeatedly said we are not going back to 'normal' anytime soon.  We will be practicing some sort of prevention for the next several months or even year.  Just because places are discussing reopening that doesn't mean everything is 'over' and back to normal.  Just because there is some magical arbitrary date set by the cruise lines, that has no bearing on what the reality of the situation may be at that time.

I have a cruise booked for September (planned for 2 years) that we will likely skip due to the reasons you posted above.  I don't expect many, if any, of the ports to be receiving cruise ships.

3 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

I agree 100%.  There seems to be a level of denial for some posters about when cruising will resume and what it will look like.  Various government officials and agencies have repeatedly said we are not going back to 'normal' anytime soon.  We will be practicing some sort of prevention for the next several months or even year.  Just because places are discussing reopening that doesn't mean everything is 'over' and back to normal.  Just because there is some magical arbitrary date set by the cruise lines, that has no bearing on what the reality of the situation may be at that time.

I have a cruise booked for September (planned for 2 years) that we will likely skip due to the reasons you posted above.  I don't expect many, if any, of the ports to be receiving cruise ships.

I read different news sources both the US and from Europe and yes, I totally agree with you. All the leaders of the world are saying the same - they dont know when the pandemic will end and they cannot give any specific dates. Even though some countries are putting some of the limitations down, it is still unclear how the situation will go when people will start leaving their homes again. We might have another break out in Autumn.. 

58 minutes ago, Elevatorman said:

My DH and I are here in Fort Lauderdale where we moved 20 years ago to be close to the cruise port. We are lucky enough to have 50 cruises under our belt. Our next booked cruise os on Enchanted Princess next January. I feel that when the time comes to make a final decision to go or not we will not sail. I don’t know what will change by that time. I just don’t trust others to do the right thing. Even in our community, couples that should have quarantined did not. And when the ship takes your temperature before you board, it’s only your temperature at that moment, it’s not tomorrow’s temperature.  
i wouldn’t mind betting a few bucks that we will be safe on a ship, but I don’t want to get my life. Anyone else having these feelings.?

I'm pretty sure there are very many cruise lovers who feel the same way as you including me. We also live in Florida (27years) and love cruising also with 62 under our belts but I'm not sure when we will take our 63rd. We are in our mid 70s and as the country  begins  to open up and things go along smoothly I for one am still going to feel very uncomfortable, I'm not sure when we will go out to eat at a restaurant or see a show much less hopping on a ship packed with 3000 other passengers. We already cancelled 2 cruises this year and will not sail until next spring at the earliest. 

Edited by MISTER 67

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

Just follow Mickey and follow the money … "NOBODY DOES IT BETTER" … follow the theme park openings, then their cruise ships … that will set the standard for mainline cruises 

I read somewhere that the Disney Corp. is losing 30 million dollars a day from all its venues and ships.

Very much the same feeling. The very nature of cruises involve close interaction with others you know and don't. Will not feel comfortable until there is an effective vaccine or enough time has passed that there is treatment and/or heard immunity. I'm thinking 2022.