CNBC: Carnival to restart Cruises in phases August 1st

kwokpot

3 hours ago, beerman2 said:

"Tentatively Plan" would seem to be better in this case!

Might be more accurate, it is totally outside their control, all they can do is be prepared, they certainly are trying.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

The CDC approves stuff, news to me.  

Actually they do.   Especially when it comes to matters of public safety.  I guess you learn something new everyday.

The amount of self denial and wishful thinking astounds me.  The reasons for previous cruise ships being refused docking and the spread of the disease on those ships have not changed.  The earliest a vaccine will be available is sometime in January of next year.  Until then, any cruises or cruise announcements from Carnival is just wishful thinking.  Save your money and don't invest in any cruises until you know there is a vaccine or effective treatment.  Otherwise, Carnival will give you the standard line of future cruise credits and OBCs.  They are now hard up for liquidity in cash and it will take months before they refund you your money.  As a person stated earlier, Carnival will take your booking money because it is an interest free loan for them.  They know that there will not be any cruises until there is a vaccine.  This press release of limited cruising in August is just wishful thinking.  It is not going to happen.  And no, I am not afraid of being sick as I already have had it.  It wasn't a pleasant experience I can tell you.  Also, I personally know six people who have died from this illness.  It is very serious and very real.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I see no reason Galveston wouldnt sail in august. Today I got Galveston.com email about planning for moms day. Galveston is open. Maybe not up to snuff, but open.

except or one VERY inconvenient fact, there is no vaccine or effective treatment available.   

8 minutes ago, txagcol1 said:

except or one VERY inconvenient fact, there is no vaccine or effective treatment available.   

I'm willing to go without one. Cruises booked oct on carnival and jan and b2b on rcl next april.

If it gets cancelled in october I'll move it to fall 2021, nothing lost.

Imo people are going to learn to live with the virus. No vaccine is 100% effective, it's not the end all be all some say. They never found a vaccine for HIV but life went on, with more careful sex, now life in the future will be more social distancing and maybe masks on cruises. 

History will tell us who is right, no one knows right now, even if you say something as if it's a fact, it's still your opinion. I personally dont think ccl will wait for a vaccine to start up. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I see no reason Galveston wouldnt sail in august. Today I got Galveston.com email about planning for moms day. Galveston is open. Maybe not up to snuff, but open.

I really hate to burst your bubble, but if it were a ship full of people from Galveston and others minimally affected areas I'd agree.

What I see is planeloads of people from NYC and other areas where we've been sitting in for months and as I see it, for future months, going down to catch a ship out of there.  Half of us don't even know we're infected so cruiseship screening won't be effective at all.

32 minutes ago, txagcol1 said:

Actually they do.   Especially when it comes to matters of public safety.  I guess you learn something new everyday.

Show me one in reference to the cruise industry.  If current history is the example you are using, they are do a pretty crappy job overall, forget approving stuff. If you want start a topic on this and we can discuss further, I ave tons of examples.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I really hate to burst your bubble, but if it were a ship full of people from Galveston and others minimally affected areas I'd agree.

What I see is planeloads of people from NYC and other areas where we've been sitting in for months and as I see it, for future months, going down to catch a ship out of there.  Half of us don't even know we're infected so cruiseship screening won't be effective at all.

Well Galveston is usually mostly locals who drive. True some drive down from the midwest, Oklahoma for instance.

Many arent comfortable with flying, so I really would be surprised if they flew from ny to houston. The biggest complaint I hear is it's expensive to get from houston to Galveston and there is no airport in Galveston. It's really a drive to port.

If I lived in nyc I'd be flying into miami where cruises are much cheaper and easier to fly to.

Have you cruised from Galveston?  Hobby is small and the closest to Galveston. IAH the international airport is further and costs more to get to Galveston.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

Well Galveston is usually mostly locals who drive. True some drive down from the midwest, Oklahoma for instance.

Many arent comfortable with flying, so I really would be surprised if they flew from ny to houston. The biggest complaint I hear is it's expensive to get from houston to Galveston and there is no airport in Galveston. It's really a drive to port.

If I lived in nyc I'd be flying into miami where cruises are much cheaper and easier to fly to.

Have you cruised from Galveston?  Hobby is small and the closest to Galveston. IAH the international airport is further and costs more to get to Galveston.

If you lived in NYC you'd understand exactly how serious the situation is, and not be so anxious to fly to Miami.  I'm not familiar with you personally...but thru the years I (forgive me if I am wrong) thought you were older than me, making you into your (high risk) senior years.

Carnival Cruises plans to restart cruises from Galveston, Texas, and Miami and Orlando in Florida, on Aug. 1, an announcement released Monday said. All other sailings in North America will be suspended through Aug. 31.  Eight of Carnival’s ships plan to return to the sea in August: Dream, Freedom, Vista, Horizon, Magic, Sensation, Breeze and Elation. The first sailings will visit the eastern and western Caribbean as well as the Bahamas. Four-day cruises from Miami to Key West, Fla., and Cozumel, Mexico, start at $139 per person on Aug. 6 and 20. Four-day cruises from Port Canaveral to the Bahamas and Princess Cays starts at $149 per person on Aug. 13 and 27.

https://www.latimes.com/travel/story/2020-05-05/carnival-plans-to-restart-cruises-from-u-s-ports-in-august

Edited by CruisingAlong4Now

26 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Imo people are going to learn to live with the virus. No vaccine is 100% effective, it's not the end all be all some say. They never found a vaccine for HIV but life went on, with more careful sex, now life in the future will be more social distancing and maybe masks on cruises. 

Some vaccines are quit effective - e.g. polio and smallpox. I doubt a Covid vaccine will be 100%, at least not for long. The better hope is for effective treatment and prevention, which they do have for HIV - HIV is no longer a death sentence.

Both Russia and China have vaccines for Ebola now.

44 minutes ago, txagcol1 said:

Another fact are Darwin candidates flaunting and daring the virus to strike them dead and shut everything down again.

There isn't any evidence of long term immunity from the virus once you survive a bout with it. Impossible to currently know, since the virus has only been known about for a short period of time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, resistk said:

Even if we can cruise this year, will US persons be welcome in any ports?  The current epidemic wave is supposed to run through August with 135,000 deaths now being predicted.  Places like the Bahamas out islands, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Belize, and St. Kitts surely are not going to risk an epidemic?

Well, several of these destinations have already reached agreements with various airlines to reestablish air service and bring tourists back in a month. The airline that I work for announced flights to Cancun, Nassau, St Thomas, St Croix, the Dominican Republic, and San Juan effective June 1st. This announcement gives credibility to an article that was released last week indicating Cancun/Riviera Maya’s intent to reopen 155 hotels that have been closed down and restart tourism.

If these destinations are willing to welcome back passengers arriving by airplane and let them stay at their hotels, it shouldn’t be far fetched to think that they will be willing to welcome back passengers arriving by cruise ship in a not very distant future. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, dallasdan said:

If the cruise industry has to wait on a vaccine, they will all go bankrupt.  It could be years before a vaccine is available if ever.

So based on your opinion, are you not going to Walmart, Bucees, sporting events, etc... until there is a vaccine?

They very well may go bankrupt.  It isn't up to me on letting them sail.  It is up to the CDC and USCG.  They won't let them sail until there is a vaccine.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

If you lived in NYC you'd understand exactly how serious the situation is, and not be so anxious to fly to Miami.  I'm not familiar with you personally...but thru the years I (forgive me if I am wrong) thought you were older than me, making you into your (high risk) senior years.

I'm a news and stock news junkie. Why assume people arent aware if they dont live there?

I might be older than you but never felt old until this virus says I'm high risk. My parents I consider old, not me. I'm their food lifeline. They are locked up in their house and I bring them food. I went by earlier and dropped off food I split up between us, chicken alfredo from pizza hut, tacos from taco Bueno, its cinco de mayo or whatever day here, party tacos 49 cents, and pizza hut has pasta special on tuesday and they had buy a 8 piece fried chicken get a free rotisserie chicken. 

I kidded with mom the meat distribution problem isnt affecting us unless one of us starts cooking. I did get her a real chicken to cook, still in her freezer.

Yes, I am in the age they say higher risk from virus, I just am not the type to live in fear. I only go out of the house to stock up on food and wear a mask and am careful. I plan on being careful on a cruise but I'm not the type to worry. I've done some crazy trips in my life, daredevil type stuff. I would cruise, but doesnt mean I'm not aware of nyc. 

Btw I dont plan on getting on an airplane, lol. My cruise isnt until october, and I'll be watching ones before mine. Dont assume I'm not aware of the risk, I'm just willing to take it. I'll probably eat alone, spend time reading my book by the pool, avoid crowds, wear a mask if in a crowd. I'll do what I can to mitigate the danger, but would still go. 

I heard a real estate agent in florida say she is getting calls from ny, lol. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Another fact are Darwin candidates flaunting and daring the virus to strike them dead and shut everything down again.

You must have meet my bil and sister. He is 81 with diabetes and she is danger age, slow learner so kinda oblivious tbh with epilepsy... both intend to be at church sunday.

Church groups seem to me to be just as risky as cruising groups. He says god will protect them.

Everyone takes the risks to do what they want to do seems like to me.

47 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm willing to go without one. Cruises booked oct on carnival and jan and b2b on rcl next april.

If it gets cancelled in october I'll move it to fall 2021, nothing lost.

History will tell us who is right, no one knows right now, even if you say something as if it's a fact, it's still your opinion. I personally dont think ccl will wait for a vaccine to start up. 

The thing is that it is not up to you on a vaccine.  It is up to the CDC and the Coast Guard.  The CDC's website has already stated that no sailings will occur until the pandemic is controlled via either a treatment or vaccine.  Bottom line is no sailings until there is a vaccine.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Show me one in reference to the cruise industry.  If current history is the example you are using, they are do a pretty crappy job overall, forget approving stuff. If you want start a topic on this and we can discuss further, I ave tons of examples.  

The no sail order from the CDC which is currently under effect.

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

You must have meet my bil and sister. He is 81 with diabetes and she is danger age, slow learner so kinda oblivious tbh with epilepsy... both intend to be at church sunday.

Church groups seem to me to be just as risky as cruising groups. He says god will protect them.

Everyone takes the risks to do what they want to do seems like to me.

At least a couple of preachers have proven you shouldn't put god to a foolish test.

If the risk takers want to commit suicide by covid, that might seem fine on the surface, until they infect others who didn't know they were at risk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, txagcol1 said:

The thing is that it is not up to you on a vaccine.  It is up to the CDC and the Coast Guard.  The CDC's website has already stated that no sailings will occur until the pandemic is controlled via either a treatment or vaccine.  Bottom line is no sailings until there is a vaccine.

It really isn't up to CDC or the USCG. A political appointee could end the no sail order with a simple declaration.

• Like 1