Carnival canceling all cruises till Sept 1 except for 8 ships in 3 ports. Will Celebrity follow suit?

fstuff1

7 hours ago, marieps said:

We are taking a measured approach, focusing our return to service on a select number of homeports where we have more significant operations that are easily accessible by car for the majority of our guests.

This makes sense.   Less reliance on flying customers.   Targeting  reliance on local demand  and they are afforded the opportunity to use localized  supply chains.   

Hopefully it gets some  people back to work sooner than later too.

Curious to see to see what the itineraries are just for ships and giggles.   We've moved on from Carnival and prefer Celebrity but I'm watching as an avid fan cruiser.

Its a beta test and they are probably looking for a few good canaries.

Edited by JRG
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Fouremco said:

A quick look at some of the cruises they are offering out of Galveston starting in August visit ports in the Cayman Islands and the Bahamas, both of which remain closed to cruise ships. I think that planning by all cruise lines is based in large part on wishful thinking, including the hope that other countries will open up as quickly as the US.  

And that is ONLY if the US allows it.  Between the media bashing and the House Majority investigating how Carnival Corp. handled the pandemic I wouldn't consider this anything close to set in stone. Truth is nobody is going anywhere as you point out unless the countries allow it.

Edited by Nymich

16 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I am sure that as soon as they can safely open the ports in the Caribbean they will.   It is almost their only source of income!  Puerto Rico is a problem because most of the working age population left the island after the hurricane.   They pretty much are left with the senior citizens and the children.

I have seen no info from NYC or Boston about port closures through the end of the year.

Portland is now closed through August.   All of this is subject to change as we don’t know where we are headed with this virus.

So you're saying the parents deserted their children and just left them with the senior citizens???  I don't think that's the case.  But I do know that the first part about the working age population is correct.  But I think they took their kids with them.

21 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Bahamas is opening up to international visitors on June 15th according to a land based all inclusive vacation sight I looked into located in Nassau.  Of course no word on how this opening applies to ships...we will see.

The islands will soon be begging for tourists...

The area I live in south of ATL airport is seeing no new cases in almost a week now...I doubt that holds, but it is a far cry from the dire predictions we have been hearing for months..

• Like 1

Staying in an all inclusive is of course very different than a cruise ship. It is much easier to self isolate . But why would anyone want that kind of holiday, anywhere, might as well just stay home. Even if the islands were open to tourists, even if the planes flew there. 

2 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Staying in an all inclusive is of course very different than a cruise ship. It is much easier to self isolate . But why would anyone want that kind of holiday, anywhere, might as well just stay home. Even if the islands were open to tourists, even if the planes flew there. 

We stayed in AI resorts for many years and enjoyed them just as much as we do cruising. Before COVID-19 had ever been heard of, we were thinking of going back to an AI for a holiday or two. There are far more similarities than there are differences, and neither one is like home! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

The islands will soon be begging for tourists...

The area I live in south of ATL airport is seeing no new cases in almost a week now...I doubt that holds, but it is a far cry from the dire predictions we have been hearing for months..

Dire predictions for months?  Until about 2 months ago there were few cases of COVID anyplace in the US.  Think you are forgetting how fast this went downhill both on land and the last group of cruise ships that left mid March were a disaster that will take a lot of discussion to reverse.

In my town in Arizona almost no cases ever.  Move into town where multigenerational housing is common and cases are still ramping up.

My question is would you cruise with COVID still active?  Lots will say yes, but a significant number won't cruise until this discover.  Lots of other ways to take a holiday.

• Like 1

Posters were wondering about actions being taken by other cruise lines. Princess has shut down most fall cruises. We now have had 3 cruises canceled as far ahead as November. 
We are looking at Celebrity’s fall cruises but are unsure if we will be allowed to board. We are both over 70 and DH is diabetic. Doctors won’t sign any sort of FTT form. They are leery of legal liability. 
Evidently X has not issued any guidelines for fall travelers.

On 5/5/2020 at 10:26 PM, az_tchr said:

Dire predictions for months?  Until about 2 months ago there were few cases of COVID anyplace in the US.  Think you are forgetting how fast this went downhill both on land and the last group of cruise ships that left mid March were a disaster that will take a lot of discussion to reverse.

In my town in Arizona almost no cases ever.  Move into town where multigenerational housing is common and cases are still ramping up.

My question is would you cruise with COVID still active?  Lots will say yes, but a significant number won't cruise until this discover.  Lots of other ways to take a holiday.

We took advantage of Celebrity's new CWC policy and moved our August European cruise to next year.  We live in Alabama so it is very easy to take a trip to the beach or the Smoky Mountains.  My father has heart issues so we did not want to be on a cruise ship this year.  Lots of options for US travel this year! 

On 5/4/2020 at 4:56 PM, traveline said:

You are correct. They all will follow similar operations in starting back. CLIA and the CDC do not give guidance for one cruise company, they give guidance for all.

The CDC will give guidance as it pertains to resuming operations to all cruise lines operating in US waters and ports.  As you state here.  But the CLIA is actually the global lobby for the cruise line industry and represent their interests.  Look at the mission statement on their website.  Their executive board is composed of cruise line executives.  So the CLIA's reports and recommendations are coming from the cruise industry.  That is far different than coming from an over site agency such as the CDC. 

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

The CDC will give guidance as it pertains to resuming operations to all cruise lines operating in US waters and ports.  As you state here.  But the CLIA is actually the global lobby for the cruise line industry and represent their interests.  Look at the mission statement on their website.  Their executive board is composed of cruise line executives.  So the CLIA's reports and recommendations are coming from the cruise industry.  That is far different than coming from an over site agency such as the CDC. 

True, CLIA and CDC are working together, CLIA will not put out any info unless they had agreement with CDC. There will be a give and take. Trump wants economy back. Everything is give and take from here on out,Disney,ships, airplanes, trains, buses, NFL, NBA, Hockey, Concerts, etc. Nothing will be totally safe, but it must go on, do not walk in fear, but walk in faith and good sense. Be safe may see you sailing in the future. God Bless.

• Like 3

https://thepointsguy.com/news/norwegian-cruise-ceo-frank-del-rio-future-of-cruising/

NCL CEO said today (5/8/20):

his “best answer” is that the company, which operates three brands would be in a position to resume sailing “sometime in the third quarter, more likely than not the back end of the third quarter.”

That suggests a comeback sometime in late August or September.

Also,  just three Norwegian Cruise Line ships resume operations initially

Come on Celebrity, release some info.

i have final payment next week for Aug 16 cruise 😞

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 1:01 AM, Nymich said:

And that is ONLY if the US allows it.  Between the media bashing and the House Majority investigating how Carnival Corp. handled the pandemic I wouldn't consider this anything close to set in stone. Truth is nobody is going anywhere as you point out unless the countries allow it.

Actually, new reporting is not "bashing."  CCL and RCL bungled the COVID response horribly; they can take responsibility.

BTW, there's also a push in the Senate for an investigation. And of course, Australian authorities have their own going already. And plaintiffs' lawyers can't seem to keep up with the new cases each week.

On 5/4/2020 at 4:56 PM, traveline said:

You are correct. They all will follow similar operations in starting back. CLIA and the CDC do not give guidance for one cruise company, they give guidance for all.

Let's be clear. CLIA is a industry-paid lobbying group. It makes requests, tries to influence policy, does public relations/posturing.

The CDC is a government agency. It gives directives - including the No Sail Order. (And those directives are enforced by the USCG).

8 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Let's be clear. CLIA is a industry-paid lobbying group. It makes requests, tries to influence policy, does public relations/posturing.

The CDC is a government agency. It gives directives - including the No Sail Order. (And those directives are enforced by the USCG).

Yes I was pretty clear about this in my post #35 (at least I think I was).😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1