Norwegian Cruise Line CEO Frank Del Rio Interviews

WESTEAST

7 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Maybe because mine was only a deposit and yours a full fare? Less money and maybe simpler process (no commission, taxes, etc)?

We are waiting three weeks for a deposit back.  Have no idea when we will get it back. Shame on O.

17 minutes ago, RJB said:

We are waiting three weeks for a deposit back.  Have no idea when we will get it back. Shame on O.

Both of ours were deposits only. Four days and now they said four to six weeks. People excuse it that they're so busy. But this isn't like actually handling paper. I would guess it's press a button for cancel and press another for either FCC or return.

On 5/13/2020 at 8:23 PM, clo said:

Both of ours were deposits only. Four days and now they said four to six weeks. People excuse it that they're so busy. But this isn't like actually handling paper. I would guess it's press a button for cancel and press another for either FCC or return.

Yes, ours are deposits also.   Still waiting.  At some point I will get tired of waiting and file a dispute  with my CC company. 

32 minutes ago, RJB said:

Yes, ours are deposits also.   Still waiting.  At some point I will get tired of waiting and file a dispute  with my CC company. 

Since I got "four to six weeks" in writing, I'll give 'em that but not a day longer.

I parted with money again today. Even though I still have about 20% due back O for a cruise canceled in March for April. And waiting for another 100% of a cruise from NCL. But this usual miser already has an 18 day Tahiti O for April 2021.

Then today I read that French Polynesia will most likely accept small ships (under 200 passengers) in the next six months so I jumped. 17 day Wind Spirit that I've done before and was slightly more enthused about than the repeat 18 day Oceania. Just slightly. So I'll hold onto both until I make up my mind or the insanity of it all finally hits.

I confess so no critique por favor, I'm OCD. and rather hyper-plus here.

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 1

I'm with you Petoonya! I'm booked on the 18 day Tahiti on Oceania next April. Last weekend I booked United flight from San Francisco and last night I booked 3 days pre-cruise at the Hilton Moorea. I know that there's a chance it will not go, but I can't stop my life from planning to move forward. If I have to cancel so he it. But for right now I can have something to look forward to doing in 2021.

10 minutes ago, cayman09 said:

I'm with you Petoonya! I'm booked on the 18 day Tahiti on Oceania next April. Last weekend I booked United flight from San Francisco and last night I booked 3 days pre-cruise at the Hilton Moorea. I know that there's a chance it will not go, but I can't stop my life from planning to move forward. If I have to cancel so he it. But for right now I can have something to look forward to doing in 2021.

Thanks Cayman,

Like you I need a cruise to look forward to. Some people just say "do a land vacation" but there is nothing that excites me and dh more than a cruise- especially the one in Tahiti April 2021 or Windstar May 2021. Like you say if I have to cancel so be it. But awesome to have that thrill to anticipate. PS. I also booked the UAL flight for the Oceania trip and if I have to suffer a loss if I decide on the Windstar, thats the way it is. Oh well, it's only money!

18 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Like you I need a cruise to look forward to.

I find the word "need" worrisome. How about "really, really like"? 🙂 

19 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Some people just say "do a land vacation"

And I'll dispute the word "just." I've been countless place on land that were phenomenal. The one that really stands out is Patagonia, Argentinian and Chilean. At the end of it we did a cruise to Antarctica and I've told so many people that Patagonia was just as incredible.

Perhaps a little mind set adjustment 🙂 

55 minutes ago, clo said:

I find the word "need" worrisome. How about "really, really like"? 🙂 

And I'll dispute the word "just." I've been countless place on land that were phenomenal. The one that really stands out is Patagonia, Argentinian and Chilean. At the end of it we did a cruise to Antarctica and I've told so many people that Patagonia was just as incredible.

Perhaps a little mind set adjustment 🙂 

I believe she asked for no critique but wanted to express what she wants to do for now.....please don't offer your negative responses unless specifically asked for.  You have stated your preference for land vacations which is wonderful for you but not for everyone.....thank goodness we have different options to choose from and find the one that works for us.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, basor said:

I believe she asked for no critique but wanted to express what she wants to do for now.....please don't offer your negative responses unless specifically asked for.  You have stated your preference for land vacations which is wonderful for you but not for everyone.....thank goodness we have different options to choose from and find the one that works for us.  

I don't have a preference for land vacations. I can enjoy all types. But if cruising goes away, ether for a few years or forever, thinking about other ways is probably a very healthy thing. Long ago we did a Rocky Mountain train trip and even farther back Machu Picchu. 

17 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Then today I read that French Polynesia will most likely accept small ships (under 200 passengers) in the next six months so I jumped. 17 day Wind Spirit that I've done before and was slightly more enthused about than the repeat 18 day Oceania. Just slightly. So I'll hold onto both until I make up my mind or the insanity of it all finally hits.

Can you reference where you read this? As you know, I have a Windstar Tahiti booked for Jan. 14, 2021.

5 hours ago, basor said:

Thanks Basor. Much appreciated! 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, susiesan said:

Can you reference where you read this? As you know, I have a Windstar Tahiti booked for Jan. 14, 2021.

Susie,

Just forget I even said. I read it somewhere, maybe somewhere on CC, maybe another cruise website. Just hearsay, nothing to give any credence to. I've been in a whirl the last several days so please forgive me. If I find what it was most definitely will forward it to you!

Petooyna,  

I understand how you feel.  If I hadn’t been on that March cruise on Sirena, I would probably be booking a Windstar cruise too.  prices are good. Windstar is my all time favorite line.  I have sailed with Windstar many times usually b2b.  Most recent was b2b on Star Legend in January which was amazing. However, that Sirena experience has affected me so that I am not ready to go anywhere.  I am not booking until there is a cure or safe vaccine. I live in NJ, a very hot spot for corona.  Even though this week they have lifted the closed businesses list and opened the beaches, I am staying home.  Hope Oregon is safer.

Redtravel

2 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Petooyna,  

I understand how you feel.  If I hadn’t been on that March cruise on Sirena, I would probably be booking a Windstar cruise too.  prices are good. Windstar is my all time favorite line.  I have sailed with Windstar many times usually b2b.  Most recent was b2b on Star Legend in January which was amazing. However, that Sirena experience has affected me so that I am not ready to go anywhere.  I am not booking until there is a cure or safe vaccine. I live in NJ, a very hot spot for corona.  Even though this week they have lifted the closed businesses list and opened the beaches, I am staying home.  Hope Oregon is safer.

Redtravel

Much of Oregon is very rural so we are staying safe- 61 people have succumbed, which is tragic but could be much worse. There have been only 7 cases in the county where I live. We're staying home too regardless. We live on a beach that goes for 3 miles and rarely see anyone unlike the Jersey shore. So we do walk the dogs. Beaches still closed to people who don't live here.

We'll decide what to do with the cruise when the time comes for final. Switching dates to July, 2021 so FP April 2021. If the cruise is a go I may be able to swim with whales in July.

I sure hope that all of us who want to cruise someday find a safe way to do it. If not then I'm content at home.

Take care......Nancy

3 hours ago, Redtravel said:

I am not booking until there is a cure or safe vaccine.

You're very wise. Especially with all the hassles of getting refunds. Stay safe (an expression we hear a lot more these days.)

49 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

I sure hope that all of us who want to cruise someday find a safe way to do it. If not then I'm content at home.

So if you can't cruise you won't travel. Wow. Honestly that blows my mind. I can't even imagine. I'm so craving going somewhere, anywhere. Almost 🙂

1 minute ago, clo said:

So if you can't cruise you won't travel. Wow. Honestly that blows my mind. I can't even imagine. I'm so craving going somewhere, anywhere. Almost 🙂

Thanks for your kindness. My husband is disabled, he could never manage doing a land vacation again, but thank goodness we've done almost everything on our bucket list. I have to get a sitter for him when I visit the grandkids even for a few days. He can get in and out of the water though and loves Tahiti. I don't know how long he will be with me. Cruising is the only way we will be able to travel again. So if we can't cruise we are very happy as we live on the beach and see waves and rocks in the ocean, stars and moon over the water at night. That's our life.

I have many patients who are stuck in his same position, unable to handle the effort of land based vacations and long to and dream about getting back on a ship. Most have enough cognitive function to understand it may never happen.

I'll keep my cruise booked because I want to help my dear husband have something to look forward to. He has struggled now for a few years, and now with Alzheimers, doesn't remember a lot but knows he *might* get to go back to Tahiti. This works for us- perhaps not you, but it is what it is.

I hope this puts your mind at rest. I beg you to please stop challenging me about my choices. Life is full of challenges and I do the best I can.

• Like 9

35 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

I hope this puts your mind at rest. I beg you to please stop challenging me about my choices. Life is full of challenges and I do the best I can.

Very well said.  Not everyone is able to do a land trip.  Cruising is their only vacation option. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

challenging

It wasn't a challenge. It was a comment that I can't imagine it. And it's great that you've completed your non-cruise bucket list. We haven't yet.

8 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Thanks for your kindness. My husband is disabled, he could never manage doing a land vacation again, but thank goodness we've done almost everything on our bucket list. I have to get a sitter for him when I visit the grandkids even for a few days. He can get in and out of the water though and loves Tahiti. I don't know how long he will be with me. Cruising is the only way we will be able to travel again. So if we can't cruise we are very happy as we live on the beach and see waves and rocks in the ocean, stars and moon over the water at night. That's our life.

I have many patients who are stuck in his same position, unable to handle the effort of land based vacations and long to and dream about getting back on a ship. Most have enough cognitive function to understand it may never happen.

I'll keep my cruise booked because I want to help my dear husband have something to look forward to. He has struggled now for a few years, and now with Alzheimers, doesn't remember a lot but knows he *might* get to go back to Tahiti. This works for us- perhaps not you, but it is what it is.

I have read many of your posts on this Oceania board over the past two months and have a great deal of respect both for the thoughtful way you express yourself and your attitude in these difficult times.  I hope you indeed will be able to visit FP once again next year.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Petoonya, I'm somewhere where you are.  My husband isn't disabled -- at least not technically.  But his vision is failing due to advanced glaucoma, and so he has decided he doesn't want to travel anymore.  Despite that I booked a cruise for myself and a friend from the fifth grade in April 2018 but had to cancel because he was so stressed at the idea of being "home alone".  That turned out to be an excellent decision for a number of reason which I won't go into.  But we're in a duplex apartment and I was concerned about the stairs.  We do have neighbors who would have checked in on him daily, and I could have arranged meal deliveries.  But it seemed best to cancel.

Best wishes for your future travels.  I'm still hoping to travel on my own as well ... but in the current situation, we are sheltering at home and expect to be doing so for quite a while!

Mura

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Petoonya, if would seem to me that the "ignore" feature would be of value to you.  You do not need nor deserve to submit yourself to constant badgering.  I know that this feature has made reading this board so much more tolerable.  

Prayers for you and your husband.  No one knows what challenges caregivers endure.  God be with you.

Katie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CintiPam said:

I have read many of your posts on this Oceania board over the past two months and have a great deal of respect both for the thoughtful way you express yourself and your attitude in these difficult times.  I hope you indeed will be able to visit FP once again next year.  

Thanks for your thoughtfulness Pam. Your support means so much. ❤️

1 hour ago, Mura said:

Best wishes for your future travels.  I'm still hoping to travel on my own as well ... but in the current situation, we are sheltering at home and expect to be doing so for quite a while!

Mura

You're an inspiration ❤️

33 minutes ago, KatieBelle said:

Prayers for you and your husband.  No one knows what challenges caregivers endure.  God be with you.

Going to take your good advice KatieBelle. Thanks for your kind thoughts and words. ❤️

1 hour ago, Mura said:

But his vision is failing due to advanced glaucoma, and so he has decided he doesn't want to travel anymore. 

We had a couple on our last cruise and the man had glaucoma. Wore dark glasses and (successfully) used a cane. Wasn't always with his wife. He could still see some but obviously not much. I wish you could get your guy to give it at least a little try.  xoc