Bookings up 600%...

NavyCruiser

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/05/12/carnival-inundated-with-bookings-after-announcing-august-departures-these-are-cruises-slated-to-set-sail-from-galveston/?fbclid=IwAR1KREoQb1lLrMaTDIoiQOBFMxUnHgcOvSAo-714ijQRCgnwx3y5Vplir9M

Carnival inundated with bookings after announcing August departures; these are cruises slated to set sail from Galveston

photo(Carnival)

HOUSTON – Bookings for Carnival Cruise Line shot up 600 percent after announcing cruises would begin on August 1, according to Cruise Planners, a cruise booking company.

The spike is a 200% increase over the same time period last year.

TMZ reported the booking company noted people were “not a bit concerned about traveling at this time” because many said they were healthy and looking forward to life after lockdown.

A check of Carnival’s website shows a Western Caribbean cruise aboard the Carnival Dream is scheduled to set sail from Galveston as soon as August 8, with several subsequent cruises to depart through the month and into next year.

See all of the Galveston cruises here.

However, plans are just plans, as Carnival noted on social media, saying in part:

“Any resumption of cruise operations – whenever that may be – is fully dependent on our continued efforts in cooperation with federal, state, local and international government officials,” a news release said. “In our continued support of public health efforts, any return to service will also include whatever enhanced operational protocols and social gathering guidelines that are in place at the time of the resumption of cruise operations. We are committed to supporting all public health efforts to manage the COVID-19 situation and will continue to keep our guests, travel agent partners and other stakeholders informed.”

In a news release, Carnival said it is taking a “measured approach.”

“We are…focusing on the potential for sailing from a select number of homeports where we have more significant operations that are easily accessible by car for the majority of our guests,” a news release said. “We will use this additional time to continue to engage experts, government officials and stakeholders on additional protocols and procedures to protect the health and safety of our guests, crew and the communities we serve. We appreciate the understanding and support of our guests and travel agent partners and look forward to welcoming them on board as the environment for travel and tourism improves.”

Interesting article. I noticed the Breeze & Radiance are listed. Have they even been ported to Galveston yet? If not, when is the anticipated homeporting supposed to happen? 

I think it's a marketing trick to try to get a feeding frenzy going.im not booking anymore until they get their act together.i always book a year to year and a half out but not anymore.i don't think it will be hard to get last minute cabins this year or next.just my opinion.

7 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Interesting article. I noticed the Breeze & Radiance are listed. Have they even been ported to Galveston yet? If not, when is the anticipated homeporting supposed to happen? 

Breeze is ported in Galveston I believe and Radiance moves May of next year to Galveston (allegedly).

When I had to rebooked my cruise, I picked Galveston because I thought that port would have the best chance of sailing.  I still haven't reserved my hotel or booked any excursions.  It's really much too soon to know if it will happened.  An increase in bookings does show that people are hopeful.  That's good news for Carnival.  I want to see them succeed.

Edited by TNcruising02

2 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

When I had to rebooked my cruise, I picked Galveston because I thought that port would have the best chance of sailing.  I still haven't reserved my hotel or booked any excursions.  It's really much too soon to know if it will happened.  An increase in bookings does show that people are hopeful.  That's good news for Carnival.  I want to see them succeed.

I am going to suggest early booking.  I usually pre-book my hotels as far out as possible. Then if the prices go up OR down it’s a win-win. This certainly isn’t any new idea, but wanted to mention it.  
When I rebooked our cancelled March Cruise to October out of Galveston, I booked our room. It’s a major national chain, No deposit was necessary. 

🛳🛳

Bobbi

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Markmom18 said:

I am going to suggest early booking.  I usually pre-book my hotels as far out as possible. Then if the prices go up OR down it’s a win-win. This certainly isn’t any new idea, but wanted to mention it.  
When I rebooked our cancelled March Cruise to October out of Galveston, I booked our room. It’s a major national chain, No deposit was necessary. 

🛳🛳

Bobbi

I usually book the hotel very early.  I guess I just don't want to get my hopes up too much.  My plane tickets are with Southwest, so I can easily change those.  I am so excited about cruising out of Galveston. It's always such a fun group.  I am a Hilton honors member and usually go with that line and can cancel close to the date.

If bookings are up so much, then I probably do need to go ahead and make my hotel reservations.

Bookings up 600%.  Shaking my head.  I can't imagine booking a cruise during this pandemic.  It is going to be interesting to see the outcome of this if the ships actually sail in August.

10 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

If bookings are up so much, then I probably do need to go ahead and make my hotel reservations.

Just make sure your reservation is cancelable or refundable.  Some hotel chains now even allow prepaid bookings to be refunded.

I “almost” prepaid an Oct-20 hotel for an upcoming cruise last December to get my ducks in a row.  Would have likely lost it if/when we cancel.

Hopefully helpful to someone-thru 5/17 Marriott is offering e-gift cards at a 20% discount.  The likelihood of bankruptcy for the chain is low since many individual hotels are independently owned.

https://gifts.marriott.com/e-gifts/

• Like 1

Since my jan 2nd cruise leaves just before new years eve, I booked new years eve and day, but both hotels say I can cancel. Galveston shows there will be fireworks near pleasure pier and a parade on new years eve and some hotels hosting parties. I'll probably skip the parties, I'm avoiding crowds, but will watch the parade and fireworks outside unless the weather is terrible. Then I'll cancel new years eve and just do new years day.

But if you know in high likelihood the weekend you are leaving might be a holiday, not a bad time to book ahead. I'm not worried about hotels my other dates.

• Like 1