THE FUTURE OF CRUISING ?

sidari

I think that concept is quite lovely but the glass windows don't allow visitors to enjoy the lovely clean air next to the water. A lovely setting, but...

Those of us with decks or backyards can just bring home take out and eat outside and still enjoy the company of a few friends.

On 5/16/2020 at 1:09 PM, cruiser man 60 said:

Italy is reopening borders and most EU countries are following suit over next month or so, U.K. Residents still have right to travel unrestricted in 2020 but U.K. Have advised against international travel at present.

some hope for tourism this year if we can get out of U.K. 

https://www.dw.com/en/italy-to-allow-unrestricted-travel-starting-june-3/a-53461107

Not quite an accurate status report. 

At the moment only England has unrestricted travel. Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland are still in lockdown and most tourist destinations are begging people not to visit. The Lake District for example have no boats, no toilets and no shopping. Many seaside resorts are also giving the same message. 

On 5/16/2020 at 1:09 PM, cruiser man 60 said:

Italy is reopening borders and most EU countries are following suit over next month or so, U.K. Residents still have right to travel unrestricted in 2020 but U.K. Have advised against international travel at present.

some hope for tourism this year if we can get out of U.K. 

https://www.dw.com/en/italy-to-allow-unrestricted-travel-starting-june-3/a-53461107

At the moment only England has unrestricted travel. Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland are still in lockdown and most tourist destinations are begging people not to visit. The Lake District for example have no boats, no toilets and no shopping. Many seaside resorts are also giving the same message. 

2 hours ago, free from work said:

Not sure what Lake District has to do with Italy! All U.K. Residents have rights to travel in Europe but U.K. Government advises against all international travel, not too bothered what Scotland & wales do!

@Couple-Somerset do you know if Amsterdam had the domes prior to Corona? The reason I ask is that igloo dining is a new 'thing' here in Michigan and it's quite popular in the wintertime. We are even getting some Igloo camping areas for Northern Light viewing in the Upper Peninsula.

Igloo Dining of Metro Detroit - Restaurant - Marysville, Michigan ...

@mafig Some construction was allowed to begin again last week so hopefully your snowbird neighbors are finally making progress. Things are looking up a bit. Michigan Governor has allowed social distance golf so our league can start this week with one in a cart. That's a huge step for us. The boating law was ridiculous imo; we couldn't take our boat out even if it was just DH and I and here in Michigan there are a lot of lake front home owners. That law didn't last long as there was quite the uproar. 

Looks like some of the other cruise lines have already began restructuring. At this point, I can't even imagine what the future of cruising looks like. Trying to stay positive, knowing that this too shall pass, but those of us with a love of cruising are about to see historic changes in the industry. 

As soon as there is a vaccine or an antibody therapeutic that actually works,  it will be back to the usual griping and bouts of norovirus, as cruise lines dispense with costly protocols. Who is going to enforce CDC regulations, it is just a signed piece of paper with not much in the way of consequences. I just read of reports that a cruise line that is repatriating its crew via a chartered flight had the crew transfer to commercial flights once outside the US. Lip service with no consequences. The cruise lines have all sorts of ways to get around doing the 'right thing'.

On 5/17/2020 at 3:27 PM, free from work said:

The unrestricted travel, in England, is for day travel only....no overnighting....at least currently, although I guess that will change in the coming weeks. Most of the Northern areas of England city administrations do not support the recent decision to begin 'unlocking' in England.....recognising that decisions in Westminster are generally about what suits London and the South East area of England.

On 5/16/2020 at 11:14 AM, Couple-Somerset said:

Just to lighten the mood - how about this from Amsterdam?

Can you imagine "diners seated in glass concept houses" (a greenhouse to you and me) down the full lengths of the ship - staff serving your food on long planks of wood lol

Kind of romantic at night lol

Note the servers face screen and keeping one hand firmly in pocket (perhaps cutting down on ppe gloves lol)

amsterdam-restaurant.jpg?w968pri150937772.jpg?width=1368&height=912&fpri150936748.jpg?width=1368&height=912&f

If they aren't thoroughly sanitizing the glass walls after every patron leaves then this has the opportunity to be far more dangerous than just keeping everything open.  As we've seen on ships, the virus sticks on smooth, flat surfaces for a period of time (upwards of 17 days on some Princess ships), so doing this could effectively do nothing more than creating incubation chambers to eat your meals in.

1 hour ago, Beardface said:

As we've seen on ships, the virus sticks on smooth, flat surfaces for a period of time (upwards of 17 days on some Princess ships), 

This information is also incorrect. RNA was found. Not even close to the virus. The CDC corrected the press release almost immediately.  I'll try to triangulate the data from a variety of left and right leaning media to finally put this rumor to rest.

image.png.fca95a4738f585f2a53cbb4e62d3d664.png

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/cdc-clarifies-live-infectious-virus-not-found-17-days-later-princess-ship

image.png.0656d931b54b34898ce07c1999ae11dc.png

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/24/coronavirus-diamond-princess-cabin-surfaces-contaminated-cdc-report/2905924001/

image.png.c510094b44a54e79060ec75e7efa7816.png

1 hour ago, Beardface said:

As we've seen on ships, the virus sticks on smooth, flat surfaces for a period of time (upwards of 17 days on some Princess ships), so doing this could effectively do nothing more than creating incubation chambers to eat your meals in.

It was reported that the RNA of the virus, i.e. the genetic code, was found up to (not upwards) of 17 days. This is not the same as the active virus. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/apr/04/how-long-does-coronavirus-live-on-different-surfaces

Edited to say it looks like two of us posted the same info at the same time. 

Edited by Bobal
  • Like 1

Public perception of COVID-19 is rapidly changing and that will ignite demand for travel within the next month to 2 months.  Southwest Airlines came out today and said for the first time since the beginning of the Pandemic, new bookings are surpassing cancellations.   While I do believe cruise lines will be the last part of the travel industry to recover, I do not think it is as far away as it may seem now.  "The new normal" will transition to the "old normal" as we go through the summer and Fall.  

• Like 2

Well, glass boxes or whatever, just can not get excited about cruising again until there is a vaccine or something.  Every cruise has close quarters, and if you are older or compromised is it worth the risk of death?

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 1:08 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

@Fredric22 love the positive attitude!! Originally I thought we'd be cruising again in the fall. Now I'm not so sure, but I live in a state that is totally locked down still so I think that may be playing on my mindset. 

You also live in a state that's in the news because of really bad weather.  

Hope you're OK.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mafig said:

You also live in a state that's in the news because of really bad weather.  

Hope you're OK.

Thank you!  We're great. Yesterday was the first day of golf league and it was beautiful blue skies and mid 60's (which is perfect for us this time of year). However we had 3 solid days of rain previous and, as you have read, three of the dams burst in mid-michigan creating a truly devastating flood situation. The lake I live on is at a 20 year high. My entire dock floated away (we were able to retrieve). Our cabin in the Upper Peninsula is unharmed as they didn't even get much rain. 

On 5/19/2020 at 9:38 AM, Beardface said:

As we've seen on ships, the virus sticks on smooth, flat surfaces for a period of time (upwards of 17 days on some Princess ships)....

See post #39 for detailed response to how CDC refuted the claim that the virus lives "upwards of 17 days".  However; just today I received the following notice that the CDC has changed their advice yet again, stating that the virus does not spread easily at all from surface to human.  I think this is relevant for cruisers knowing that they are unlikely to pick up the virus off a pool lounger or from previous occupants in the cabin.  Of course, it doesn't solve the social distancing rules that the CDC is advising us on but it's a step in the right direction.

This also goes to show how little the CDC really knows about the virus. First they told us not to wear masks. Now we are required to wear masks (in Michigan). They advised us to disinfect our groceries before bringing them in the house or leave them in the garage for 3 weeks, and now they are claiming that is unnecessary since the virus does not spread easily from surface to human. 

image.png.0305d7ff17b025cdacd4dc05fae277ec.png

https://www.today.com/health/new-cdc-guidance-coronavirus-doesn-t-spread-easily-touching-surfaces-t182194

image.thumb.png.1cadbd3c5a509a0c24036fa80566f921.png

https://www.foxnews.com/health/cdc-now-says-coronavirus-does-not-spread-easily-via-contaminated-surfaces

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/05/20/coronavirus-does-not-spread-easily-surfaces-objects-cdc/5232748002/

• 2 weeks later...

This a good topic, hope others will respond.  Personally we have no desire to cruise in the near future, however we miss the opportunity.  MSC is lacking in hygiene but still a fun experience.  Difficult to dismiss.

• Like 1