Lift and shift or wait?

ozziebound

On 5/15/2020 at 11:27 AM, Fouremco said:

The sooner you lift and shift, the better your choice of cabins. I see no benefit in waiting.

Still waiting for our FCC Certificate # before we can credit our upcoming bookings in Oct and Dec. 2020

1 hour ago, alibaba1 said:

Still waiting for our FCC Certificate # before we can credit our upcoming bookings in Oct and Dec. 2020

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Can't you lift and shift and THEN apply the FCC?

Yes. We did our lift and shift but won't apply our FCCs until a later date. No need to have it in hand to do the L&S.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Yes. We did our lift and shift but won't apply our FCCs until a later date. No need to have it in hand to do the L&S.

Thanks. That’s what I thought. I didn’t lift and shift - I already have B2B Med cruises booked next summer for my 50th, so I just waited for them to cancel the 7/19 Bermuda cruise. Had my TA double check my FCC math and upgraded to AQ for my Feb Edge cruise - I’ll be paying a little LESS OOP than what I would have for my originally booked OV!!

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 1:15 PM, welshwizards said:

Hi all, what is this "lift and shift" you are talking about? We have a cruise booked departing late September but we have decided that even if cruising resumes we would not feel safe sailing. Thank you

I agree.  I won't feel safe until there is a vaccine, or better yet a cure.  I would also like to wait and see what safety precautions are put in place on ships.  

6 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

How soon after the L&S did you receive booking confirmation and proper pricing in your account on the Celebrity website?  My CVP at Celebrity made the change on Monday.  Thank you.

Same day...look on Celebrity site, your reservation will be changed

I'm pretty happy with my L&S experience.  Bumped a 9 night November 2020 ABC cruise on Edge to a December 2021 cruise on Apex.  Sadly, not going to see the ABC islands, but also saved a massive chunk of change sailing in the exact same suite.

Phone call was interesting.  I had a CSR on the line in like 5 minutes.  We spent perhaps an additional 5 minutes discussing my options.  Once I'd selected my new cruise, they put me on hold for 55 minutes.  I was just about going to disconnect assuming I'd gone missing in their queue.  While I was waiting, I could see my reservation changing semi-live on the website though.

CSR came back (had them on speakerphone)... and I was very happy with what they had worked out during that silent period.  There must be a crapload of back-end work to shift these reservations, but they did a nice job.  I'm more than OK with the deal I got.  If I tried to book the same S3 on my own directly on a new ship like Apex, it would have been 40% more expensive.

Edited by mk-ultra
  • Like 1

We are booked on a btb 8-28-20 and 9-4-20 on the Millenium.  I understand Canada has shut down Cruises thru 2020 so this means our cruise will be cancelled because we sail out of Vancouver.  We plan on using the lift and shift to next year.  Same ship. Same itinerary. Same # of days.  We booked thru TA and I booked non refundable air thru Celebrity.  Here’s my question.  What is the best way to handle the air?  I need to shift the cruises before Aug 1 when the program ends, but I’m concerned that I will forfeit my airfare if I don’t wait for Celebrity to cancel the cruise beforehand.

Your non-refundable air will be at the discretion of the airline anyway.  Celebrity is not refunding non refundable air if they cancel.  I'd start researching what options you have regarding the air.  Since you have a TA why don't you start having them research and present you with your options?

We are booked on a btb 8-28-20 and 9-4-20 on the Millenium.  I understand Canada has shut down Cruises thru 2020 so this means our cruise will be cancelled because we sail out of Vancouver.  We plan on using the lift and shift to next year.  Same ship. Same itinerary. Same # of days.  We booked thru TA and I booked non refundable air thru Celebrity.  Here’s my question.  What is the best way to handle the air?  I need to shift the cruises before Aug 1 when the program ends, but I’m concerned that I will forfeit my airfare if I don’t wait for Celebrity to cancel the cruise beforehand.

I have consulted my TA regarding the cruise and plan to shift my cruises to next year, I was just wondering if anyone had had any recent experiences with Celebrity airfare since the pandemic.  Seems previous rules don’t necessarily apply now.

On 5/17/2020 at 7:46 AM, wrk2cruise said:

In situations like the OP where there is no direct replacement for the itinerary/ship within the required dates I feel that Celebrity has been making attempts to negotiate solutions on a 1:1 basis so your results may vary.

I have read about people being able to do more nights and paying.  I personally have moved a 10 night Equinox in Sept to a 9 night the following year.   Yes it was at the protected price/perks but my rate this year was at a great deal and is 1/2 of what the rate is on the 9 night for next year so I was happy to give up the night.

The OP should discuss with their TA and come up with a few reasonable proposals on what they would find acceptable and have the TA request from Celebrity and see what could be done.   If this is the route they want to take I'd do it sooner rather than closer to final payment.

I was unable to lift and shift my 10 night to the 9 night on Celebrity because I had gotten such a good  deal on it and they would not honor that deal for the year later. So I’m waiting it out hoping to sail at this point. 

1 hour ago, Margaretealexander said:

I was unable to lift and shift my 10 night to the 9 night on Celebrity because I had gotten such a good  deal on it and they would not honor that deal for the year later. So I’m waiting it out hoping to sail at this point. 

Is it on the same ship and within the +/- 4 week window.  If so I'd try again.  There's nothing in the T&C about the "deal you got".   Oh wait there is, they are protecting the price and promo (the deal!).

In my case it was the exact same ship and itinerary except 1 day less, a port stop in Key West.   Multiple other people on our Roll Call also were able to do this.

Oh I just read your post in your roll call.  The deal was a group pricing.  I guess I can also agree that's a bit different.  Mine was a regular senior discount offered in February at a very attractive price.

Edited by wrk2cruise

18 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Is it on the same ship and within the +/- 4 week window.  If so I'd try again.  There's nothing in the T&C about the "deal you got".   Oh wait there is, they are protecting the price and promo (the deal!).

In my case it was the exact same ship and itinerary except 1 day less, a port stop in Key West.   Multiple other people on our Roll Call also were able to do this.

Oh I just read your post in your roll call.  The deal was a group pricing.  I guess I can also agree that's a bit different.  Mine was a regular senior discount offered in February at a very attractive price.

I know it’s crazy. I actually contacted the head of PR at Celebrity and they said I could not make the switch because of the resident rate I got . My original sail date was Sept 25 2020. I requested Sept. 17, 2021 . DENIED. I wanted the PR department to know that nowhere does it state that the lift and shift is only applicable if you didn’t get a deal or if you paid enough money for it. I’ve battled with my TA and reps from Celebrity and they won’t honor it for me. Still believe it was promoted inaccurately. 

I have a question for those that have successfully done the lift and switch.   Does your original booking date still apply, or is it switched to a current date?   I ask because of potential travel insurance issues.....any travel booked now would not be covered by my policy due to the Canadian travel advisory.

1 hour ago, airhose said:

I have a question for those that have successfully done the lift and switch.   Does your original booking date still apply, or is it switched to a current date?   I ask because of potential travel insurance issues.....any travel booked now would not be covered by my policy due to the Canadian travel advisory.

My original booking number and booking date are shown on my confirmation after the L&S. I assume that it is the same for others but haven't seen posts confirming that.

3 hours ago, Margaretealexander said:

I know it’s crazy. I actually contacted the head of PR at Celebrity and they said I could not make the switch because of the resident rate I got . My original sail date was Sept 25 2020. I requested Sept. 17, 2021 . DENIED. I wanted the PR department to know that nowhere does it state that the lift and shift is only applicable if you didn’t get a deal or if you paid enough money for it. I’ve battled with my TA and reps from Celebrity and they won’t honor it for me. Still believe it was promoted inaccurately. 

Uh oh. I was looking to do lift and shift for a December cruise but it was a really great group rate as well so I have a feeling I might be in the same boat.  😞

15 minutes ago, Wonderbred said:

Uh oh. I was looking to do lift and shift for a December cruise but it was a really great group rate as well so I have a feeling I might be in the same boat.  😞

Don't give up. We have three reservations in an agency group. They were willing to L&S but there is no matching sailing next year.  We requested same week, same ship, but different itinerary. We have gone up the chain from the representative in group sales, to a supervisor, to the Resolutions Department, now our request is sitting on the desk of the Group Project Coordinator. Fingers crossed.

Hi - 

We are booked on the Equinox out of Ft Lauder dale on September 14, 2020 - 11 days - there aren't any itineraries in 2021 with 11 days to lift and shift to - (just a 9 day, and a 12 day) - and neither one of them have a similar Sky Suite available (we love the aft suites !) 

We have decided to just wait and see - we really would love to go on this cruise - but if Celebrity cancels - probably at the last minute - after we have made our final payment - it is our understanding that we would receive 125% FCC - our money is certainly not earning any interest sitting in the bank (!) might as well either:

Get to go on the trip 

or

Get 125% FCC 

7 minutes ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

Hi - 

We are booked on the Equinox out of Ft Lauder dale on September 14, 2020 - 11 days - there aren't any itineraries in 2021 with 11 days to lift and shift to - (just a 9 day, and a 12 day) - and neither one of them have a similar Sky Suite available (we love the aft suites !) 

We have decided to just wait and see - we really would love to go on this cruise - but if Celebrity cancels - probably at the last minute - after we have made our final payment - it is our understanding that we would receive 125% FCC - our money is certainly not earning any interest sitting in the bank (!) might as well either:

Get to go on the trip 

or

Get 125% FCC 

9/17/2021 9 night has 2 aft S2's available and most of the S1's.  I wonder if the itinerary is just too different for them to allow the 11 night to be moved to 9 night (or even if it makes financial sense to you).

image.png.f975808755d7870f0f61a7f9b8e6f7ad.png

The following 12 night also has a couple availalble

image.png.e241b7bc29844af338e101ed3bbf3853.png

Edited by wrk2cruise