looking to book our first Cunard cruise

ratherbecruisin

25 minutes ago, ratherbecruisin said:

We have cruised with Royal Caribbean, Princess, NCL, Carnival and MSC. We are wondering since we are not formal people

will we eel out of place on Cunard.  What is the dress codes for the diningroom?

I often feel that if you need to ask the question perhaps Cunard is not for you.   You state you are not formal people, yet Cunard is more formal than the other lines you have cruised with.  Don’t get me wrong some people remain informal but on the whole people dress up and the whole experience is more formal so if it’s not your thing perhaps stick with what you know.  The main dining room has a formal atmosphere, quite refined and gentlemen have to wear jackets every evening.  There is always the buffet if it’s not your thing.

• Like 2

What Tangoqueen says is correct. I'll add that it's not just the dining rooms (other than the buffet) that have a dress code after 6:00PM. Most of the bars and other public spaces do, too. But you might want to give it a try. Yes, you'll have to pack a few more items and, yes, it will take a little longer to get dressed for dinner. But once you're dressed up---and you look around and see that everyone else is, too---you'll probably feel it was all worth it.

• Like 1

Don’t book it.
Stick to what you know and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere which you won’t get on Cunard. If you want to upgrade a bit go one of the premium lines such as Oceania or Azamara. NO formal there.

Edited by orchestrapal

Cunard is formal requiring a jacket/suit, dresses or fancy slacks every night.  If you do not want to wear a jacket all evening, you will not be able to go into the theatre, lounges and other areas of the ship.  We love to dress but it is not for some.  If you do not mind not having access to all the ship, book it.  You may even want to spread your wings and try something new.

I'm not a dress-up person but really wanted to cruise on QM2. The reality is that some people do really go to town: tuxedos for men who wives have spent months (and $$$ probably) deciding what to wear. But nobody has to do this and lots don't: smart dress (suit for men: mine's a $99 Target special) such as you'd wear to a wedding or executive job interview is all that's required. And unless you're really unlucky you won't find any snobbery ; on the contrary, on my Cunard cruises I've been seated with a wonderful assortment of people I'd never have met otherwise.

TL;DR: Relax. Enjoy.

You won't feel out of place on Cunard if you dress up but if you are unwilling to observe the dress code you shouldn't book with this line. The people on board are not stuffy or formal but they do wear lovely clothes - not necessarily expensive but chosen with care and consideration for the ambience and out of respect for their fellow travellers. 

Formal clothes needn't be uncomfortable although my husband does sometimes find he feels slightly overheated in the evenings in his jackets. You only have to wear a tie on gala nights and while lots of ladies do wear long dresses not everyone does as there are plenty of dressy trousers & cocktail dresses in evidence too.

There are places around the ship where the dress code doesn't apply in the evenings (although denim jeans remain off limits after 6pm anywhere) and if you are content to enjoy yourself in those locations then there would be no problem but I feel you would miss out on much of what makes the line so special.

If you care what people think and make an effort to fit in you will have a brilliant time  if you are interested only in pleasing yourself & enjoying your holiday you will no doubt make the most of it but impinge on the ability of others to enjoy their trip.

• Like 1

Yes, you have to dress formally for some dinners, and smartly for the rest, if you want the run of the ship. So it is formal, but not stuffy or intimidating or unfriendly, more serene. And quite honestly, as you are likely to want to change your clothes after a day ashore or in the sun - nothing formal about the day time dress - you may as well change to something smart. I have found most of the passengers really friendly and interesting, although there are always a few who like to complain that things have gone down hill since the QE2 went out of service, but their predecessors probably said the same substituting the first Caronia.😀

What do you call “formal”?  If, for a man, wearing a suit and necktie is uncomfortable, he should stay away from Cunard.   There are some who think they should be able to wear tee shirt and shorts to the MDR - there are ships for them, just as Cunard has ships for people who feel part of a vacation experience is making dinner a bit more special than a trip to Burgerland.

• Like 1

We are not Formal types but have just earned Diamond level on Cunard(15 sailings )  by just going with the flow when it comes to dress .

Dark suit and a sport coat for me (never a tie when optional)  nice dress's and pants suits for her . Never feel out of place .

Daytime , anything goes .

Edited by MCC retired

It has been our experence that QM2 Transatlantic crossings are generally more "formal" than cruises that have multiple ports (and excursions) including World Cruise segments.  A great majority of the men on crossings will be wearing tuxedos and ladies will be wearing gowns or cocktail dresses.   However, a dark suit with tie is perfectly acceptable for men on "Gala" evenings.  Tie is optional on other evenings. but many men will wear a tie.   

If you are ballroom dancers, Cunard is the line for you.   All Cunard ships have large ballrooms with a 7 piece dance band and vocalist playing most evenings.   If you aren't ballroom dancers, the ships also have nightclubs with dancing.   

Thank you for asking this question and also all the answers.

We are looking ahead to doing a Transatlantic - Southhampton to New York.

My 13 year old son is obsessed with Titanic and that is his dream cruise. We both like dressing up. fancy dinners, so happy to hear this.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

My 13 year old son is obsessed with Titanic and that is his dream cruise. We both like dressing up. fancy dinners, so happy to hear this.

If staying in Southampton prior to Cruise, then consider the antique shop "Cobwebs" as they should have a few items of genuine Titanic Memorabilia for your son as a cruise memory.  Contact prior to arrival in Southampton to discuss Titanic stock and prices to acertain if worth the visit. Don't forget a cheeky little counter offer on prices.

https://www.cobwebs.uk.com/stock1.htm

The QM will treat your son with respect as a valued young adult, and he'll enjoy the Teen Club, having fun hanging out with people of his age group.  No disrespect to his parents 😉

Who knows, possibly making new "For Life" Cunard friends.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

He'll have the time of his life.

• Like 1

I thought I would add my comments to the posted original question. 

My wife and I do not dress up, not interested I am a shorts and tee shirt guy. (The last time I was dressed up was to a funeral in Nov 2019).  It is absolutely fine on board until 6pm and you then have to go to your cabin, the buffet or a bar that allows informal dressing. You can ninja around the ship after 6pm but do not let too many people see you!

Some people may say why go on Cunard - I like the ships, the lectures, the gym, ports of call,  sail from and to Southampton and the food in the buffet is great (food is subjective but as someone brought up on public school, University and NHS canteens it is great) and we may sit, talk and slowly eat what you want. A Transatlantic crossing is wonderful it is one of man's primeval historical voyages to the New World and have done this crossing 3 times and each is wonderful. We are Platinum status and look forward to the benefits. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Photo Andy said:

I thought I would add my comments to the posted original question. 

My wife and I do not dress up, not interested I am a shorts and tee shirt guy. 

Do you really wear shorts all the time up there in the NE? You must be very resilient. My miner ancestors used to wear a suit and tie to the beach and I quite see why.😀

Dear exlonder

nearly, have been know to wear gloves, fleece hat, fleece jacket and Gore-Tex jacket with shorts well into November. Restart wearing late March. You are kind saying I must be resilient, other people maybe not so generous.

Stay safe, best wishes. Looking forward to one day eventually returning to cruising.   

On 5/18/2020 at 6:33 PM, K_e_short said:

Allow for a free day in Southampton before the cruise so you can go to the Sea City Museum if you haven't already been - it has an excellent Titanic section.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 2:59 PM, Alanxx said:

I see the man in the photo is wearing a dinner jacket and bow tie.If that is your idea of not being formal then I think you will be OK on Cunard !!!

I think you may have been referring to the post from Tangoqueen  ?

😉

1 hour ago, Photo Andy said:

Dear exlonder

nearly, have been know to wear gloves, fleece hat, fleece jacket and Gore-Tex jacket with shorts well into November. Restart wearing late March. You are kind saying I must be resilient, other people maybe not so generous.

Stay safe, best wishes. Looking forward to one day eventually returning to cruising.   

Well, I did toy with saying completely mad, but settled on resilient. 😀😀

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 5:37 PM, ratherbecruisin said:

We have cruised with Royal Caribbean, Princess, NCL, Carnival and MSC. We are wondering since we are not formal people

will we eel out of place on Cunard.  What is the dress codes for the diningroom?

OP, as you can see by my signature (which has not been updated and 2020 isn't happening😥), we sailed only Carnival until last year when we booked three weeks on the QM2. Here's the thread I posted last year: 

We loved the experience, but you do need to dress for dinner if you plan on the MDR. As I noted, I met one passenger who visited the MDR only for lunch, as he did not like to dress for dinner.

We absolutely loved QM2. We're looking forward to another opportunity to sail.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 5:03 AM, Balticdream said:

Allow for a free day in Southampton before the cruise so you can go to the Sea City Museum if you haven't already been - it has an excellent Titanic section.

We did this for our most recent TA in December 2018 - arranged a full day in Southampton before boarding QM2. Walked from the hotel to the museum to find a sign on the door that they were closed that particular day for in-house training. Nothing was posted on the Web site about closure, only the sign on the door. Perhaps calling to verify they were open would have been a good idea.

• Like 1