Pro active planning covid19

cementhands

Some companies are being very pro active with covid19 cleaning and planning. United airlines and Clorox have teamed up. Why can’t NCL and other cruise lines start announcing their plans. It would calm stockholders and loyal cruisers. United cleanplus program is a positive step.

The CleanPlus program goes beyond cleaning and distancing practices, and personal protective equipment (PPE). United says it will use experts at both Clorox and Cleveland Clinic to "enhance the airline's cleaning program, redefine disinfection procedures and equip customers with amenities at select locations that help support a healthier and safer environment."
I usually fly southwest for the 2 free bags but I’m looking forward to cruising again soon. Never ever go to the buffet anyway. But most concerning is cruise lines being pro active for peace of mind.
Age 65 and high blood pressure and other health issues have my kids in the medical field telling me I might not cruise for a couple more years. I just hope that NCL can survive the covid19.
How long can a company tread water with no income?

Not to worry.  NCL will survive.  We're going on our November cruise and I sure hope there's still a buffet onboard.  A lot of posters on Cruise Critic seem to enjoy making people paranoid.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

Not to worry.  NCL will survive.  We're going on our November cruise and I sure hope there's still a buffet onboard.  A lot of posters on Cruise Critic seem to enjoy making people paranoid.

We too have purchased a November cruise. I am getting tired of all the hype. Today the CDC announced the virus does not live long on surfaces. 

If you are concerned about it, stay home, wear a mask, but leave the rest of us alone!

• Like 2

My July cruise was cancelled so I re-booked for December 11, 2020. I’ll be 71 on July 5th and in fairly good health except for a bad knee for all the athletics I did as an adult and kid. I’ll be damn if I’d have my kids tell me if I can or can’t sail. 

• Like 2

I would guess that they are working on plans.  But until they are closer to sailing, I really don't see much need for a lot of details.  Things change daily, so what seems good today might not be appropriate or adequate tomorrow.  At some point they will have to make decisions but right now the airlines and hotels are the guinea pigs.  Once they develop effective ways to protect their customers the cruise lines can follow suit.

Sanitizing a plane consisting on two toilets, seats, and an aisle is a way different chore than sanitizing an entire ship that is 'turning around' in just a couple of hours. 

That being said, we are booked and ready for two cruises next year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cementhands said:

Some companies are being very pro active with covid19 cleaning and planning. United airlines and Clorox have teamed up. Why can’t NCL and other cruise lines start announcing their plans. It would calm stockholders and loyal cruisers. United cleanplus program is a positive step.

The CleanPlus program goes beyond cleaning and distancing practices, and personal protective equipment (PPE). United says it will use experts at both Clorox and Cleveland Clinic to "enhance the airline's cleaning program, redefine disinfection procedures and equip customers with amenities at select locations that help support a healthier and safer environment."
I usually fly southwest for the 2 free bags but I’m looking forward to cruising again soon. Never ever go to the buffet anyway. But most concerning is cruise lines being pro active for peace of mind.
Age 65 and high blood pressure and other health issues have my kids in the medical field telling me I might not cruise for a couple more years. I just hope that NCL can survive the covid19.
How long can a company tread water with no income?

Cleaning programs are wonderful, except for a illness like COVID-19 the real problem is person to person transfer at close range. Reduced, but not eliminated, if everyone is wearing mask in a closed environment

The best thing the airlines could do is to lock each air vent on max, then have plastic sheets hanging between each row and between passengers.  Doubt the FAA would let them do it, but it would provide a degree of airflow isolation between the passengers.

3 hours ago, hloakes said:

We too have purchased a November cruise. I am getting tired of all the hype. Today the CDC announced the virus does not live long on surfaces. 

If you are concerned about it, stay home, wear a mask, but leave the rest of us alone!

Amen to that!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, winterbliss said:

As well, I witnessed 3 people in 3 vehicles wearing masks while driving today. My go to question now is what I've heard some braver health care professionals ask, "Does that make sense?"

Yes. If they touch their face, they're touching the mask not their mouth or nose. It makes a massive difference to virus transmission.

Listen, you clearly don't care for or believe in masks. That's fine, you do you. But don't chastise people for trying to protect themselves or their loved ones. It's not a good look.

Edited by mynameisvlad
  • Like 9

10 minutes ago, winterbliss said:

As well, I witnessed 3 people in 3 vehicles wearing masks while driving today. My go to question now is what I've heard some braver health care professionals ask, "Does that make sense?"

LOL!  That's to prevent inhaling all that Covid19 that is being sucked in thru their car's air vents.  Heh, heh,  not much makes sense any more.

• Like 1

I refuse to wear a mask in public, don't want the press to see me wearing one.  I want to be seen as brave and in control of my life.  I am willing to take medication for malaria just in case.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

42 minutes ago, mugtech said:

I refuse to wear a mask in public, don't want the press to see me wearing one.  I want to be seen as brave and in control of my life.  I am willing to take medication for malaria just in case.

I walked out of a restaurant yesterday that was requiring people to wear a mask while ordering to go. 

47 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Whatever flows your boat, Donald ...lol! Eat that  Hydroxy like Tic Tacs ......

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Whatever flows your boat, Donald ...lol! Eat that  Hydroxy like Tic Tacs ......

Hey! No political posts!  See that green band across the top of the page?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, hloakes said:

I walked out of a restaurant yesterday that was requiring people to wear a mask while ordering to go. 

I intentionally support restaurants  and other establishments that show good sense and require them.

If if one does not require it of their patrons, I wear one out of courtesy and respect for those that are having to work in customer facing positions. After all they have to come in close contact  with people to earn their paycheck.

Edited by npcl
  • Like 9

11 hours ago, cementhands said:

Because the cruise lines must get their reopening plans approved by the US Government. No point in announcing something that is not approved.

United, on the other hand, has no such restrictions (which they really should). United continues to profit by flying planes packed with people. More specifically, health care workers that have been in direct contact with COVID daily. And a little packet of Clorox wipes won't stop the airborne spread of COVID. I am sure that most people understand that it is all a marketing gimmick. 

20 hours ago, winterbliss said:

Depends on the mask type. The ones that loop behind the ear are easy to put on, but the N95 masks with multiple head straps can be harder to get on correctly. So it makes sense if you have two or three stops to just wear the mask while driving.

I wear a mask when I go somewhere now, but it's the easy surgical style mask. Not a big deal at all. Not sure why people object to it; I'm more concerned that I HAVE TO wear shoes in all stores now. What right do they have to tell me I must wear shoes? It's offensive and violation of my god-given right to go barefoot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

NCL did hire former U.S. Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Scott Gottlieb, MD to consult with them. He should be able to help them navigate the CDC bureaucracy. 

I'm looking to see if the CDC extends the no-sail order, or amends it, at the end of July. I'm worried they might put a maximum age on cruisers, with no one 70 or over allowed on board (or whatever arbitrary age they set based on high risk). They could try to implement age, weight, blood pressure and respiratory standards; no overweight people, no one 70 or older, no one with high blood pressure (over 130/80 in the US), etc. The CDC rarely shows restraint in these things, and often acts politically once the main crisis is over (as they did with vaping).

5 hours ago, fshagan said:

NCL did hire former U.S. Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Scott Gottlieb, MD to consult with them. He should be able to help them navigate the CDC bureaucracy. 

I'm looking to see if the CDC extends the no-sail order, or amends it, at the end of July. I'm worried they might put a maximum age on cruisers, with no one 70 or over allowed on board (or whatever arbitrary age they set based on high risk). They could try to implement age, weight, blood pressure and respiratory standards; no overweight people, no one 70 or older, no one with high blood pressure (over 130/80 in the US), etc. The CDC rarely shows restraint in these things, and often acts politically once the main crisis is over (as they did with vaping).

Scott Gottlieb is a very smart individual.  I had already left the FDA by the time he became commissioner, but I have heard rather positive comments from my friends there during his tenure.

I doubt that they are hiring him to help navigate the CDC bureaucracy, as much as to actully help them develop a plan that is scientifically sound.  Any plan that he endorses will certainly carry some weight.  The biggest issue is can the cruise line develop a plan that he would agree with, that they are willing to sail under.

As far as vaping they should have been defined as nicotine delivery devices and under FDA regulations from the start, instead of waiting until the health problems started to arise.

Edited by npcl

26 minutes ago, npcl said:

As far as vaping they should have been defined as nicotine delivery devices and under FDA regulations from the start, instead of waiting until the health problems started to arise.

The health problems associated with vaping came from private parties adulterating vaping products for purpose of drug consumption. The primary manufacturers of vaping products who would follow FDA regulations were not the source of the tainted products. FDA regulation will do nothing to make vaping safer.

16 minutes ago, Paul Bogle said:

The health problems associated with vaping came from private parties adulterating vaping products for purpose of drug consumption. The primary manufacturers of vaping products who would follow FDA regulations were not the source of the tainted products. FDA regulation will do nothing to make vaping safer.

Some of them.  There are others.  Due to lack of quality control over the liquids, the problems with some devices including heavy metals.  You also have issues with the liquids themselves not being regulated or tested.  Then comes the use of propylene glycol and glycerol as solvents, while PG has been tested in oral products, it has not been tested as being safe in a heated inhalation product.  It does have a track record of causing lung irritation going back years from its less invasive use in theatrical fog machines. Vaping yields far far more exposure. While the sudden impacts may have been the result of the tainted products, there are a number of other long term issues. There are increasing numbers of studies finding lung irritation issues even with normal product.

As one example

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK507184/

If the FDA had regulated them as a nicotine delivery device they would have been, like other such devices, prescription for helping people to stop smoking, as the manufacturers claim, while instead they were being marketed with all kinds of flavors aimed at non-smokers.  Now we are getting the net generation hooked on nicotine.

Edited by npcl