Possible first time Regent Seven Seas Cruise (Tahiti)

This will be our first time booking an all inclusive Luxury cruise (when they are able to sail again) and we are in the planning stage now. We were looking at booking the 11 night Cook Islands & Society Islands cruise on the Paul Gauguin. Then we came across the Regent Seven Seas Cruises and like the ship and packages much better and are looking at the 10 night Papette to Papette cruise and have a couple of questions. What is the dress code for dinner? How far ahead should we plan on booking the cruise and how far ahead do we have to book the excursions? Do they have a scuba program similar to the PG?

thanks for your help.

Hi and welcome to the Regent board.  When asked about sailing in Tahiti, many of us used to recommend the Paul Gauguin.  However, since they were recently purchased, the feedback from passengers has been less than positive.

Regent’s dress code for dinner - on all ships and in all locations is “Elegant Casual”. For men this means slacks (could be Dockers but no shorts) and a collared shirt (that could be a polo shirt).  Women also wear slacks and a blouse but court wear a skirt or sundress.  Shorts and jeans are pretty much the biggest thing that people cannot wear after 6:00 p.m.  During the day, you can pretty much wear whatever you like (but they do ask that you wear a cover-up if you’re wearing a swim suit.

Here is a link to the section of the Regent website that will answer most questions.  https://www.rssc.com/frequently-asked-questions  Booking as early as possible is always a good idea.  This insures that you can get the suite that you want.  I highly recommend using a Travel Agent that regularly books Regent cruises.  Besides being an enormous help, many of them give a percentage back on your cruise fare.  

• Like 1

In the past I would have highly recommended the Paul Gauguin but cannot in conscience do that now.  Their new owners, Ponant, have been cancelling cruises, as all cruise lines have during the covid crisis, but have refused to give anyone a refund for their paid-up cruises, offering future cruise credits instead, as the only option.  So I can't recommend them to anyone.

No, there won't be a scuba program onboard, but presumably there will be operators on the islands who provide this, don't know.  Excursion booking depends on your cabin class, to some extent I believe.

Dress code on Regent ships is always 'elegant casual', with a formal optional night on longer cruises.

We love the Paul Gauguin, and have over 40 nights on her; believe me, I mourn the loss of this ship.  But Regent, especially Navigator if they're doing this trip, is a pretty darned good substitute.  A bit bigger, not so intimate and "islandy", but I'm sure it would be a very, very nice trip. And also especially nice if they provide Business Class air round-trip to Papeete.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer
  • Like 1

We have booked a Tahiti cruise for Feb 9.    We looked at others such as PG.  Windstar also have a 10 day as well.   While we heard very good reviews in regards to PG, we ended up with Regent as it will be our first luxury cruise as well and wanted to try Regent.    You only have a few options for a concentrated 10 day Tahiti cruise and as I am sure you have already seen they do not have the 10 day cruise running in 2022.  

They have a good promotion that I was able to change my existing reservation to take advantage of the $1000 OBC.   My only worry is whether the 2021 cruise will take place.   The french government has come out and said today that they are hoping to find a way to start opening the island, as it is so reliant on tourism.  See the link below.

I was feeling more positive a few weeks ago than I am now, but have booked thinking/hoping that they will be sailing by then.  As the final payment is not until early October, it buys me time to monitor the situation and cancel if things are not looking good by then.   Even after booking, the new program allows you to cancel, I believe up to 15 days prior to departure.

I have seen reviews of the Navigator and of the people who have been on it.   We have been primarily Princess/Celebrity cruisers so this should be a nice change(although we also enjoyed the other two cruiselines).

BTW, I think Oceania also has cruises through French Polynesia. 

When I want to look at my options, I go and "find a cruise" in Cruise Critic and it gives you most of the options for that destination.   I find it works very well.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/418019/quarantine-terms-debated-for-french-overseas-territories

• Like 1

Yes - Oceania does do that itinerary and are less money than Regent...... however, it is not all-inclusive.  Once you add airfare, internet, excursion and drinks* the price goes up substantially.  We have sailed on Oceania twice but am not sure that we would try it in Tahiti 

* Oceania does have promotions when a few excursions are included, the wine package (not worth it but you can upgrade to the Premium package) and/or included internet.  

Here is a link to scuba diving in Bora Bora (gorgeous island with amazing water) https://www.viator.com/Bora-Bora-tours/Scuba-Diving/d5180-g17-c28901

We have been to Tahiti four times (only once by ship - the PG).  In some ways we prefer staying at a resort in Tahiti vs. sailing on a ship but it depends your taste.   Food is extremely expensive on land (the last time that we went, a couple paid $50 for two hamburgers and two soft drinks). If we returned to Tahiti, we would stay in a luxury all-inclusive resort.  Here is a glimpse of a few https://www.luxury-resort-bliss.com/all-inclusive-resorts-in-tahiti.html

If you want to do a land vacation, our favorite spot in the world is Fiji.  Lots of all-inclusive resorts with great snorkeling (and diving) and the friendliest people on earth (I read that years ago in an Encyclopedia).  The locals are truly amazing which is why I prefer Fiji to Tahiti.

So, you have lots of choices. 

• Like 1

Oceania does cruise in and around FP, but I'm not sure they do a dedicated cruise of the islands these days, as I believe Navigator is.  I can't imagine a better Regent ship to do this than Navigator--in fact, this is a perfect venue for Navigator, in my opinion.

Just a note, January and February are considered low season in French Polynesia and are probably going to be somewhat hotter and muggier than, say, July or September, but then again it will be beautiful, no matter what.  

• Like 2

Actually, Oceania has at least as many  dedicated cruises of the islands as Regent does.  I would not be a fan of Regent's Navigator as it does not have a forward Observation Lounge and the aft lounge is subject to vibration.  Navigator also had fewer dining venues and not a lot open space on the ship.  On the other hand, the suite on Navigator are considerably larger than on the ships that Oceania is using for the South Pacific.  In any case, it is worth looking at.  Here is a link  https://www.oceaniacruises.com/cruise-finder/#search-result-anchor (scroll down a bit to see voyages)

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies.

We are fine with "Elegant Casual", we were worried it would be formal. We are looking at a Deluxe Veranda Suite or Concierge Suite but, I also have a good list of local tour operators from our PG research. I will ask about the local dive op's on Scubaboard. Travelcat2, we will look at your link from the resorts.

Those Nav. Itineraries in FP look nice and, I have always thought a bargain if you sort out your own air (7500 credit per person) combined with the current $1000 OBC makes for a very low per diem.  Many trips to FP, all on the PG but have cruised the Navigator in E. Caribbean and it was fine. We’re divers and those itineraries visit the best islands for that as well.  Happy planning!

23 hours ago, Wreckdiver said:

Thanks for all the replies.

We are fine with "Elegant Casual", we were worried it would be formal. We are looking at a Deluxe Veranda Suite or Concierge Suite but, I also have a good list of local tour operators from our PG research. I will ask about the local dive op's on Scubaboard. Travelcat2, we will look at your link from the resorts.

Just remember that Navigator Concierge suites are the same size as normal balcony cabins. Plus you want to avoid aft, if you can.  We've enjoyed the E cabins midship on deck 6. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Just remember that Navigator Concierge suites are the same size as normal balcony cabins. Plus you want to avoid aft, if you can.  We've enjoyed the E cabins midship on deck 6. 

We are leaning towards the Concierge Suite because it includes a free 1 night pre cruise package which includes free ground transfers, breakfast and porterage. Our thought is you just use your cabin for sleeping and showering, so we don't need a bigger one. Maybe this is the wrong way of thinking?

17 minutes ago, Wreckdiver said:

We are leaning towards the Concierge Suite because it includes a free 1 night pre cruise package which includes free ground transfers, breakfast and porterage. Our thought is you just use your cabin for sleeping and showering, so we don't need a bigger one. Maybe this is the wrong way of thinking?

No, it's not.  The cabins are nice on Navigator, really nice.  We have been to Tahiti 5 times, and we've always spent at least one night pre-cruise to acclimatize, preferably more.

2 hours ago, Wreckdiver said:

Agree that Concierge Suites are the right choice. especially in French Polynesia where hotels and food can be extremely expensive.  As I think has been mentioned, all suites are the same size until you get to the level of a Navigator Suite.  The lowest suites do not have a balcony but are still large and well appointed.  

@Wreckdiver

Well we were in the same “boat” as you. We have only done Azamara in the past so quite the uplift to Luxury for us as well. The main attraction to be honest was the itinerary very focused on the islands but as we are doing the 15 day Honolulu to Tahiti. Hawaii was the main focus as it is somewhere my DW has always wanted to go. The added bonus was FP and Regent.

I still think Regent offers the best value by the time you add up all the extras from other cruise lines. We also liked the small ship experience and at a max of 490 pax that was equally attractive. Mind you if we are going to be at 50% capacity it’s going to feel even more spacious.

we also booked a forward cabin on Deck 9 after having looked at the layout and went for the PH.

Trip date for us is 15th January 2021, so if we do sail we will do a trip report.

3 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Another nice cruise (with a few extra sea days, which we like) is Tahiti to Lima.  Cruise is March 2021.

This one I would love to do.  We were booked on the 2021 World Cruise, which goes from Lima to FP, visiting Easter Island on the way.  But because of the dreaded covid, we have cancelled that.

This would be a nice consolation prize, I admit.  Not ideal on Navigator, I admit, but still tempting, especially if we made it a B2B, either the cruise before around the islands, or the cruise after, Lima to Miami.

Only problem is that it's during baseball Spring Training.  Since we missed most of the 2020 season, and if baseball is playing again, I would hate to miss it. 

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

5 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Only problem is that it's during baseball Spring Training.  Since we missed most of the 2020 season, and if baseball is playing again, I would hate to miss it. 

Your post made me laugh, Wendy.  That is the reason our "safety" booking as a landing if cruises in October and December 2020 are cancelled due to COVID-19 is on Mariner from Papeete to Auckland departing 23 Jan 2022.  I wanted an East Asia itinerary, but it was in March,  With the Mariner itinerary, we'll be home about when pitchers and catchers report.

• Haha 1

It looks like Tahiti is opening up in July, which is great news!  While they have not fully communicated the rules around cruising, you need to take a Covid-19 test within 72 hours of leaving for Tahiti.   One of the stipulations is that you need to have travel insurance.   Most travel insurance will only cover you if as long as your home country does not recommend that you avoid non-essential travel.   Hopefully, they will raise that restriction soon.

https://tahititourisme.com/en-us/covid-19/

I am feeling a bit more positive around my Feb 2021 cruise now.  🙂

• Like 1

We were on the Regent Tahiti to Lima as few wears ago, and we highly recommend it. This cruise also stops at Easter Island, which is a very interesting place to visit, to which few ever go. The cruise also attempts a visit to Pitcairn island. But it rarely makes it as the waters there are usually too rough for the tenders. At least we were able to cruise near it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

We were on the Regent Tahiti to Lima as few wears ago, and we highly recommend it. This cruise also stops at Easter Island, which is a very interesting place to visit, to which few ever go. The cruise also attempts a visit to Pitcairn island. But it rarely makes it as the waters there are usually too rough for the tenders. At least we were able to cruise near it.

I'm surprised they even bother advertising a stop at Pitcairn.  I believe on the westbound WC that we cancelled it was just going to be a sail-by.  And be aware that Easter Island frequently gets missed too.  

I also would much prefer westbound for the clock changes, but not a biggy.

2 hours ago, tert333 said:

Most travel insurance will only cover you if as long as your home country does not recommend that you avoid non-essential travel. 

Tert333, I was very surprised to hear this, so I posed the question to Steve Dasseos of tripinsurancestore.com on the forum he currently has active at 

When I did this, I did not notice that you are Canadian, so your statement may very well be true in Canada.  Steve sells trip insurance in the US and has made it very clear that his answers apply to insurance in the US only, except in rare cases where he might make a specific reference to another country.

In any case, I thought I would post the link to his answer here to reassure at least the travelers in the US that they don't need to worry about this particular problem, at least not as far as their insurance goes.

43 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

Tert333, I was very surprised to hear this, so I posed the question to Steve Dasseos of tripinsurancestore.com on the forum he currently has active at 

When I did this, I did not notice that you are Canadian, so your statement may very well be true in Canada.  Steve sells trip insurance in the US and has made it very clear that his answers apply to insurance in the US only, except in rare cases where he might make a specific reference to another country.

In any case, I thought I would post the link to his answer here to reassure at least the travelers in the US that they don't need to worry about this particular problem, at least not as far as their insurance goes.

Agree it differs in all countries.  If you travel from the UK to when all but essential travel is advised then most parts of your insurance are invalidated.  If you are already abroad insurance is still valid.  

i think everyone needs to look at their policy very carefully as their is no one answer to this.

Thanks for the clarification.  Yes, I am from Canada It does look like there may be situations where it is not consistent between the US, Canada and other countries.   It may also be different depending on the policy as well.   I looked at recent policy that I used and there was the following wording in it, in the limitations and exclusions section:

No benefit will be payable in connection with losses related to or resulting from:

• Travel in a country if the Canadian government had issued a travel advisory(Canada has two official advisories.  The first is avoid all non-essential travel and the second is avoid all travel) for that country that was in effect immediately before the Coverage Period for the benefit in question began.

So, if I purchased the insurance, when there was no travel advisory, I would be covered.  However, if you book a trip when there was a travel advisory in place, then you would not be covered.  Sounds like we are similar to the UK rules.

I agree that you have to be very careful in reviewing the policy.