Received refund back on credit card, but "discovered" something I did not know.

beshears

More than likely, I am probably the ONLY person that did not know this, after booking many cruises down through the years.  The ONLY difference, I never ask/needed a refund back from not cruising, until the Coronavirus came along. At the very beginning, I put a down payment on all 4 rooms, which was $1,000. In the meantime, I had the price of the room, as well as the port fees, taxes, etc. which "I thought???" was the balance that I would be paying for the 4 rooms. When I received my refund back on my credit card, the $250 for each room, or $1,000 was not refunded.  So I learned a LESSON today that the down payments are NOT refundable, or at least I did not get it back! To me, it is a little tricky, when you see the paper with the itemized areas, and what they cost, not realizing the down payment is "additional" too!  This is just MY thoughts!!

3 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

That is true but I have not seen a past guest rate in quite some time.

Anytime I’ve been on Carnival.com, I’ve nearly always had the option for Past Guest. Worst case scenario, there’s the Fun Select rate available online. You can also call to see what refundable options are available. Age based and resident/regional offers are also sometimes available.

There is more than an Early Saver rate available.

Edited by xDisconnections

3 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Anytime I’ve been on Carnival.com, I’ve nearly always had the option for Past Guest. Worst case scenario, there’s the Fun Select rate available online. You can also call to see what refundable options are available. Age based and resident/regional offers are also sometimes available.

I haven't seen a past guest rate in at least 6 months either but there has been another rate that was refundable and was about $40pp more than the ES rate. It just didn't have the same name as past guest rate but basically still the same deal.

OP, if Carnival cancelled your cruise and you didn't contact them to tell them how you wanted to handle your refund, your deposit is held as a FCC.  You didn't lose it.  You just need to call them to have it refunded.

If you cancelled, then you are most likely subject to the terms of your cruise fare.  If it is an early saver fare, then you lost $50 per person and the remainder is held as a future cruise credit.  You didn't lose $250 pp, you lost $50 pp, unless you elect to never reschedule.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

No doubt about that. I am just saying the " past guest" rate has disappeared as far as I can tell. There are a few other rate classes but they aren't very good pricewise usually. The big push is for ES  pricing. The closest I could find for my May 31 Alaska cruise next year is a "Sail you soon rate" which is 40 more than ES but doesn't have the 2 category upgrade of past guest so when I choose the room I want the rate has gone up even more. I now mostly book ES and leave additional passengers as TBA so I still have some flexibility so that works for me.

It is a lesson most people learn at one time or another. That is why I always book refundable deposits or only with reduced deposit rates. I watch for the $50 deposit pp.

When I had a 'full' refund from a rather messed up cruise (weather related, missed ports, propulsion issues, but still fun) we were required to make a deposit and then the FCC would be applied to our next cruise. I rebooked at a reduced $50 pp and found out others from the same messed up cruise booked full deposit amounts of $250 pp. 

Those deposits can be tricky. 

First of all, I want to thank ALL of you for your responses.  I am going to "try" to answer any comments you may have made, one way or another.  Just know, I have "always" put a down payment down, and then paid the full amount when due, or three months later.  As for the TA, I only used her at the "beginning" to see what kind of prices she could get me.  Once I found out they were the same as the PVP, I continued with the PVP to the end. I will try to answer your comments one way or another.

NO, I DID NOT cancel the cruise, Carnival did!

I DID NOT ask for the FCC, just ALL of my money back that I had paid for the 4 rooms. I did NOT re-book, as I didn't know what this Coronavirus was going to do, or last.  The PVP KNEW I wanted for all of us to cruise again.

As for booking a rate with an refundable deposit, I have never heard of this! When checking out prices on "various sights," normally the price of the cruise is the same that "I" see.

I have NEVER ask about "past guest", Fun Select" or "early Saver" rates.  I would "think" the PVP would mention this to me???

I DID call/talk to MY PVP and TOLD HER I wanted ALL my refund back on my credit card, as I had paid for all 4 rooms.  We even went over what "she said" Carnival owed me, and I wrote it down, not "thinking"??? about the down payment of $250 ($1,000) on each room.  When I got calculating what I was to get back, the $250 down payment for 4 rooms, or $1,000, was not in what she said I would get back. (When I LOOKED at the papers (after talking with her) that had everything printed out from her, I started totaling them up, and found that she was NOT including the $250 deposit on each room.)

I am thankful that I am to get what I am to get, but I was just "wondering" if the down deposit was to be returned, as I have never had to ask for my money back until now.

23 minutes ago, beshears said:

First of all, I want to thank ALL of you for your responses.  I am going to "try" to answer any comments you may have made, one way or another.  Just know, I have "always" put a down payment down, and then paid the full amount when due, or three months later.  As for the TA, I only used her at the "beginning" to see what kind of prices she could get me.  Once I found out they were the same as the PVP, I continued with the PVP to the end. I will try to answer your comments one way or another.

I DID NOT ask for the FCC, just ALL of my money back that I had paid for the 4 rooms. I did NOT re-book, as I didn't know what this Coronavirus was going to do, or last.  The PVP KNEW I wanted for all of us to cruise again.

As for booking a rate with an refundable deposit, I have never heard of this! When checking out prices on "various sights," normally the price of the cruise is the same that "I" see.

I have NEVER ask about "past guest", Fun Select" or "early Saver" rates.  I would "think" the PVP would mention this to me???

I DID call/talk to MY PVP and TOLD HER I wanted ALL my refund back on my credit card, as I had paid for all 4 rooms.  We even went over what "she said" Carnival owed me, and I wrote it down, not "thinking"??? about the down payment of $250 ($1,000) on each room.  When I got calculating what I was to get back, the $250 down payment for 4 rooms, or $1,000, was not in what she said I would get back. (When I LOOKED at the papers (after talking with her) that had everything printed out from her, I started totaling them up, and found that she was NOT including the $250 deposit on each room.)

I am thankful that I am to get what I am to get, but I was just "wondering" if the down deposit was to be returned, as I have never had to ask for my money back until now.

It was not your fault but Carnivals so they should make you whole. I would definitely reach out to your PVP to see why you didn't receive ALL your money back.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beshears said:

A good TA would have let you know about different rates and what might be forfeit at a lower rate.

And it could not hurt to have a TA in your corner fighting for the rest of the refund if the cruise was cancelled by Carnival. (Though it does seem at present that TAs are also getting the runaround from the cruise lines when it comes to refunds.)

The only other thing I could suggest is file a complaint with your state's Attorney General's Office. If the cruise line cancelled the cruise as you stated rather than you did, it would seem that they should refund you in full and make that complaint.

Edited by ontheweb
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

A good TA would have let you know about different rates and what might be forfeit at a lower rate.

And it could not hurt to have a TA in your corner fighting for the rest of the refund if the cruise was cancelled by Carnival. (Though it does seem at present that TAs are also getting the runaround from the cruise lines when it comes to refunds.)

The only other thing I could suggest is file a complaint with your state's Attorney General's Office. If the cruise line cancelled the cruise as you stated rather than you did, it would seem that they should refund you in full and make that complaint.

I don't believe that Beshears booked with a TA for this cruise.🙂

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

A good PVP or reservation agent would have done the same. Not all TAs would take the time to explain this either.

In all actuality, even someone fresh out of training should know to explain the differences between rate eligibility, deposits and the cancellation policy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, beshears said:

If Carnival cancelled the cruise, you are entitled to a full refund of all monies paid. I’d follow up.

3 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I don't believe that Beshears booked with a TA for this cruise.🙂

I realize that. I guess I was implying that maybe he should have used a TA instead of a cruise line employee.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I realize that. I guess I was implying that maybe he should have used a TA instead of a cruise line employee.

I only use a t.a. if there is a sizable obc involved.the first couple I've used were more trouble than it was worth.if I got to stay on top of things I don't need you.i have an agent for this last carnival Cruise in 2022 but I booked with carnival myself put down a deposit then transfered it to the t.a. for  the obc.all they got to do is pass on my final payment .

Thank you for your "continued" responses.  I have "re-checked" my credits back from Carnival for the 4 rooms, just to make sure that I wasn't confused in what I had said here.  No, the credits or refund I received back from Carnival did NOT include the down payment of $250 each on the 4 rooms.  I really hate to get back with my PVP, but if YOU ALL seem to think I should call and find out WHY the $250 each ($1,000) was not in the credit from Carnival, I guess I could call her again.  Guess the only thing I can do is make her mad, but maybe not!  Maybe she will tell me something else why I did not get this money, as in our last conversation, she said she had credited me everything I was to receive.  Just makes me wonder!

On 6/5/2020 at 8:57 PM, ontheweb said:

Travel agencies are a dying business. It has never been easier to manage travel on your own. I would never work around someone else’s schedule and book/manage changes when it is convenient to them.

If I had to use a travel agent, I wouldn’t travel. Luckily we all have the option to use who we want.

• Like 1

At this point, I do appreciate "everyone's" responses to my question. I started "again" (probably about 5 times doing this), trying to figured just what was not paid from Carnival, and what was.  What is strange is that my PVP put 4 "different" amounts on the credit card, which were to cover the 4 rooms. as  well as another small credit that I have no clue what it was pertaining to.  She said she had put the transfers, taxes in the credits as well, and that is possible.  HOW she ever came up with the 4 "different" amounts is beyond me for the credits, since 3 of the rooms were the "exact" price!  I believe, thank God, it was only around $400 that was not refunded back, so I have decided to just let things go.  Probably trying to have her "explain" to me would be more confusing, as when we were going over what was owed, she seemed to have a few problems, but I'm so thankful that I DID receive back most of the money!