RC purposely delaying refunds

15 hours ago, Plum Happy said:

Now that they are starting to return to their building, maybe things will get processed a bit faster.  We can only pray.  I am still waiting on my May cruise refund. Seeing someone get their July refund, makes me want to hurl something, but I am being patient.  Maybe it will be this week.  🙏

Still waiting for March 29 refund. Did a credit card dispute and Royal Caribbean keeps replying to them that they credited me but it was only cruise planner items that I had cancelled. No word from RC to me at all since notice of their cancelling my cruise.

We lucked out with the luck of the draw.  I called in and cancelled six cruise planner items (4 drink and 2 dining packages) for our RCI cancelled June cruise and our August cruise that I declined final payment on.  Got refunded to credit card in 9 days.  The same day I contacted both of my TA's via email about accepting full refund for June's cancelled cruise and wanting refundable deposit on our August cruise.  Got the balance of June on one credit card in 9 days and the two deposits on another credit card in 10 days.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2020 at 5:07 PM, lifes-a-beach said:

I read that Royal is abandoning the cruise industry in favor of space travel.  For a variety of reasons they have invested deeply in SpaceX and needed all of our money to become a player in that industry.  There will only be a small number of passengers to satisfy.  Very controlled embarkation and disembarkation.  Meals will be prepared prior to takeoff so no kitchen staff, wait staff or cleanup.  Adult diapers will replace restroom facilities and all of the associated maintenance.  No special accommodations necessary since passengers would have to be extremely fit.  Environmentalists would no longer be an issue.  No children to have to plan activities for.  Except for departure, weather would not be an issue. 

Either that or they're just behind because of COVID-19 and being short staffed.  But I'm sure I read it...on the Internet.

I hope you do not believe everything you read on the internet.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EDHFamily said:

I smell a Class Action lawsuit coming on because I'm being forced to pay credit card interest fees for a May cruise that was cancelled.

If you dispute they will not charge you interest whilst the refund is pending

On 6/8/2020 at 9:14 AM, gmaloon said:

I cancelled jy drinks package and specialty dining package over a month ago and still not received the refund. I called and waited over an hour on the phone and gave up.

I thenm wrote to the CEO and received a reply from Tamika Thompson from the Executive Office. She basically said to be patient and it would take 45 to 60 days. I questioned why it was so long and she replied again to be patient withjout saying why.

I then said that there was no reason why it would take so long because we are in 2020 and everything is computerised. I posed a direct quetion "Is the delay because each cancellation is having to be done manually?"

She just replied "No, due to the mass cancellations nationwide, we are delayed processing all refunds."

So basically RC are purposely holding on to peoples money. Whatever happened to taking care of customers? It isnt because there is more work to do or anything like that, it is obviously just a cashflow issue and they are waiting/hoping for people to make new bookings and payments so they have money to do refunds.

Very disappointed.

I’m sorry things are longer than most people would like but we had 6 cruises cancelled with 4 different cruiselines.

i am still waiting for my refund for MSC cruise due to sail start April, and Princess we cancelled in March and we are being told probably more like August before we see the money.

RC have been the second best line we have dealt with in terms of speed to refund. I’d be happy if I could get my money back in 60 days from MSC and Princess but I’m already over 90 days with both.

Edited by Spurschick

Depending upon how soon sailings return, the lines may, or may not, be able to refund.  If things go much longer, and lines go into bankruptcy reorganization, you will be one of a long list of creditors (probably fairly senior) who will have to wait until everything is figured out.  You will surely get your refund before the stockholders get anything - but it could be months - or years.

48 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Depending upon how soon sailings return, the lines may, or may not, be able to refund.  If things go much longer, and lines go into bankruptcy reorganization, you will be one of a long list of creditors (probably fairly senior) who will have to wait until everything is figured out.  You will surely get your refund before the stockholders get anything - but it could be months - or years.

In the case of refunds, they are considered unsecured debits when in bankruptcy. You will be one of the last ones paid if any money is left. Usually it amounts to pennys on the dollar. 

1 minute ago, grandgeezer said:

In the case of refunds, they are considered unsecured debits when in bankruptcy. You will be one of the last ones paid if any money is left. Usually it amounts to pennys on the dollar. 

Actually, in US bankruptcy practice, trade creditors (suppliers) and customers due refunds are treated as senior unsecured creditors - and wind up ahead of most unsecured debt holders.

navy is right when it comes to deposits. But, once you choose a FCC instead of a refund the FCC has no cash value and you are out of any means to get your money back. Same with On Board Credits.

Quit booking cruises until all this settles out.

• Like 3