Rhapsody summer homeport change Venice -> Ravenna

There have been increased concerns regarding the future of cruising in Venice, Italy due to port congestion and the ability to control port traffic. And, while it’s not yet clear how cruise operations will be affected there, it’s important to us that we continue to do everything we can to provide you with a great experience and plan ahead, whenever possible. We know how much time and effort go into planning your vacation, so we’ve proactively made the decision to change the homeport for Rhapsody of the Seas for the upcoming Summer 2021 season to ensure there’s minimal last-minute impact to your cruise.

As a result, instead of Venice, we’ve changed our departure and arrival ports to Ravenna, Italy – a city located just a couple hours south of our original cruise port. We’re terribly sorry for any inconvenience caused by this change. However, to ensure you have the smoothest experience possible and that you still get to experience Venice as planned – we’re providing complimentary shuttle services before and after your sailing.

Ravenna is about 2.5 hours from VCE Marco Polo airport. Bologna Guglielmo Marconi (BLQ) is closer but RC won't provide shuttles there.

We did the Rhapsody 2 years ago out of Venice. We were scheduled to go back on her this week after we got off of MSC. However, as we all know, had to cancel. 

Now with this new change, I don't think we will cruise RCI next year. 

We want to fly into Venice and cruise out of Venice. 

We did MSC as a S2S that 2 years ago. We had MSC booked June 5 this month then were to get on Rhapsody again as we did 2 years ago.

We will look at MSC and any other line that goes out of Venice for June 2021.

We were lucky and even though we paid final payments, we got full refunds from Delta, MSC and RCI.

I only lost $190 for insurance. Trying to move that to our next cruise? 

Time will tell.

6 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

We have cruised twice out Venice and it’s awesome but the writing has been on the wall for a while. Expect other cruise lines to follow. The locals do not want the ships cruising from Venice. 

I had been at least half expecting a change. However, a share of the objection is that cruise ships calling at Venice bring day-trippers who (a) litter and (b) don't spend much money (e.g., buy only snacks or fast food and then drop the packaging everywhere). Passengers embarking from or returning to Venice usually stay a few days before or after their cruises and are more likely to shop and eat in sit-down restaurants.

This alone wouldn't cause me to cancel the booking, but I don't know yet whether I'll want to travel anywhere by May 2021.

Edited by kochleffel

There had been talk over the years to ban the big ships. They would dock in Venice on the other side so they would not come through the main canal. 

However, that has been going on for 10 years. 

Here's a map of the cities. 

SS_20200618_115242.jpg

We have a B3B on Rhapsody booked in October 2021. Received the emails this morning regarding the change of embarkation port to Ravenna. Must say we're disappointed. We have been lucky enough to sail in and out of Venice twice before and are now thankful we had that opportunity. 

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

I had been at least half expecting a change. However, a share of the objection is that cruise ships calling at Venice bring day-trippers who (a) litter and (b) don't spend much money (e.g., buy only snacks or fast food and then drop the packaging everywhere). Passengers embarking from or returning to Venice usually stay a few days before or after their cruises and are more likely to shop and eat in sit-down restaurants.

This alone wouldn't cause me to cancel the booking, but I don't know yet whether I'll want to travel anywhere by May 2021.

The 4 cruises that I've taken where Venice was a stop, stayed overnight and plenty of Paxs went into town to restaurants and other activities.  All 4 on  Brilliance class.  Wonder what they will replace Venice as a stop on the 12 niter out of Barcelona.  Maybe both Montenegro and Croatia or reduce the length of cruise.

As much as we love Ravenna having been there twice and back again in May on Azamara, it is a big loss losing Venice.  But not one that is unexpected when the sentiment in the city is strongly against the overtourism that has engulfed it.  Cruise ships are only a part of that but they are more visable (as well as the potential damage to the canals).

Times change unfortunately. 

41 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

As much as we love Ravenna having been there twice and back again in May on Azamara, it is a big loss losing Venice.  But not one that is unexpected when the sentiment in the city is strongly against the overtourism that has engulfed it.  Cruise ships are only a part of that but they are more visable (as well as the potential damage to the canals).

Times change unfortunately. 

I wonder how the Venetians will cope for this year with no or little tourism. 

3 hours ago, kochleffel said:

Ravenna is about 2.5 hours from VCE Marco Polo airport. Bologna Guglielmo Marconi (BLQ) is closer but RC won't provide shuttles there.

I worked a summer season in a coastal resort near Ravenna many moons ago. The nearest international airport is Rimini, but "international" back in those days meant charter flights mostly from the UK and Germany, so I imagine nowadays it's mostly used by European low-costs. However, it might work for some, which is why I'm mentioning it.

6 minutes ago, nelblu said:

I wonder how the Venetians will cope for this year with no or little tourism. 

I think they will be able to survive on, for at least a while, Italian tourism. That will still populate many of the hotels and the restaurants.

The distaste of overtourism in the city is strong, which is what the situation was up until February.  Over the years we've had contact with one of the organizers of an original movement to maintain a lid on the tourism in Venice.  The interesting thing is that he actually owns 2 hotels in Venice.  Speaking as a resident of another city that is being destroyed by overtourism, I can relate.

Here is an excellent article that details how many Venetians feel.  And ideas on how they can adjust things in the future if they are able to regain control of their city.

1 hour ago, little britain said:

Thanks for update. Nothing received here yet. Have booked it as a package includes flights and hotels so will be interesting to see what is laid on regarding transport 

RCCL are putting on free shuffle buses it’s two and a half hours away ☹️
Expect flights will stay the same airport Marco Polo I presume although timings for the return journey may change and probably be collected from Piazza Roma.

53 minutes ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

RCCL are putting on free shuffle buses it’s two and a half hours away ☹️
Expect flights will stay the same airport Marco Polo I presume although timings for the return journey may change and probably be collected from Piazza Roma.

The “package deal” doesn’t include transfers to the hotel or to the ship.... lol... they dodged a bullet with that one! 
I thought it would be coach pickup from PR too. 

We sailed the 12 night Mediterranean cruise with an overnight in Venice on Vision in 2018. Looks like Vision is still sailing the same itinerary in 2021. Although the website is now showing the Rhapsody sailings as being out of Ravenna,  Venice still remains as a port of call on the 2021 Vision itineraries. 

35 minutes ago, little britain said:

The “package deal” doesn’t include transfers to the hotel or to the ship.... lol... they dodged a bullet with that one! 
I thought it would be coach pickup from PR too. 

The email from Royal states that the shuttles to Ravenna will be leaving from the airport. Makes sense for those flying in that day. Wouldn't be fair for the those getting off flights to travel to PR. Would be great for those flying in early and staying in Venice to have a pick up in PR though. It would also be nice if they also offered a shuttle from Bologna Guglielmo Marconi airport for those that choose to fly into a slightly closer airport.

Edited by lr657

8 minutes ago, Billy Butlin said:

On the subject of Rhapsody out of Venice is the ship there or thereabouts now. I'm due to sail on 19th September, so 12 weeks away, and still wondering if it will go ahead ?

Looks like Rhapsody is currently in the Caribbean.

5 hours ago, kochleffel said:

There have been increased concerns regarding the future of cruising in Venice, Italy due to port congestion and the ability to control port traffic. And, while it’s not yet clear how cruise operations will be affected there, it’s important to us that we continue to do everything we can to provide you with a great experience and plan ahead, whenever possible. We know how much time and effort go into planning your vacation, so we’ve proactively made the decision to change the homeport for Rhapsody of the Seas for the upcoming Summer 2021 season to ensure there’s minimal last-minute impact to your cruise.

As a result, instead of Venice, we’ve changed our departure and arrival ports to Ravenna, Italy – a city located just a couple hours south of our original cruise port. We’re terribly sorry for any inconvenience caused by this change. However, to ensure you have the smoothest experience possible and that you still get to experience Venice as planned – we’re providing complimentary shuttle services before and after your sailing.

I think the out of control  MSC ship colliding with the pier last year was the final straw.

We sailed out of Venice twice on Splendour and it is a wonderful sail in and out.

We stayed in hotels pre-cruise both times and Venice is lovely 

Ravenna is a long way away for a Venice visit imo.

50 minutes ago, lr657 said:

The email from Royal states that the shuttles to Ravenna will be leaving from the airport.

I have not received the RCI email so did not know that.

Seriously how many people fly into Venice the day of the cruise?🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, little britain said:

I have not received the RCI email so did not know that.

Seriously how many people fly into Venice the day of the cruise?🤷‍♀️

Very few as you say if you were to fly in on embarkation day and fly on on debarkation day apart from the sail away you really see nothing of Venice.

We’ve been extremely lucky to have cruised out of Venice on quite a few occasions a real highlight of the holiday but embarking in Ravenna and with no port call in Venice together with the coach transfers of two and a half hours plus all the waiting about you can probably ad another hour minimum to that I’m afraid it’s a no go for us.