NCL/RCL team to develop reopening plans for CDC

Here's my question regarding possible mandatory insurance vis a vis COVID (for US folks anyway).  To be transparent - I'm a belt and suspenders type of person and wouldn't dream of neglecting insurance - and not just whatever my Chase card provides.

Since COVID, the USCG told cruise lines they're on the hook for any expenses related passengers being transferred for COVID care.  Fair enough in my book.  But - going forward - how will cruise lines budget for/recoup such expenses?  Will they not want passengers to share in these costs, by demonstrating they have insurance coverage? Isn't that most fair to the cruise lines?  Thing is, this may not just be a passenger or six - we could be talking entire ship populations being affected by a virus and requiring some level of care.  Yes, hope for best, plan for worst.

If a cruise ship must send someone ashore for medical care, its owner will be responsible for essentially every step of the trip, from arranging an evacuation to hiring a private ambulance and ensuring the person has a spot in a hospital. But the Coast Guard bulletin, signed by Rear Adm. E.C. Jones of the 7th District based in Miami, also says it could be difficult to find any facility in South Florida that can take new COVID-19 patients.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/01/825205607/coast-guard-tells-cruise-ships-with-covid-19-cases-to-stay-away-from-u-s-ports

Because the UK FCO are advising against all but river cruises our travel insurance would be negated anyway. All other issues apart, I am happy to see all of the new hygiene measures put in place but I, for one, am not happy if mask wearing is compulsory. A holiday is a holiday and meant to be enjoyed. 

Our government insists on 14 days self isolation for anyone coming to the island and large fines who break the rules Two people have already been fined £6000 for breaking those rules and more are in the pipeline. 

We have gone 83 days without the disease now and it would be a sheer act of selfishness by someone to bring it back. I’m sure that if everyone made an effort and obeyed the rules we could look forward to cruising again. 

• Like 6

Hawaii isn't fooling around either, and good for them in my eyes. They've arrested those who scoff at quarantine, and now have pushed back their reopening.

https://www.ibtimes.com/hawaii-delays-tourism-reopening-until-september-due-rising-covid-19-cases-3011325

I also dislike wearing a mask, but figure it's the least I can do to protect myself and others.   

022335CC-D4DD-4A4C-BF18-2A0A97D1BF76.thumb.jpeg.33121eb7e5ed1549760be6da7217408c.jpeg

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Do you consider "mental health" when determining what is "essential?"

Sure - I try to take walks outside, even just in the neighborhood and keep somewhat active  mentally (thank goodness my library really doubled down on e-lending, and I'll figure out this sour dough starter yet!), etc.   

Now, what's not essential to me are walks through Target or Nordstrom just to browse, or nonessential travel that puts me in close proximity to others, for their safety and mine.  If there were illness in the family that impelled travel, that's one thing.  Or critical business issues, that's another story.  But that's me.  I have gone out (physically distanced) and am learning how to fish a little bit - and next week we may rent canoes!  That's fine for now, for me.

• Like 3

One possible solution to the insurance issue is that the cruiselines follow same sort of protocol as Aruba. 

Everyone must have a negative Covid test within 72 hours of arrival.( Some may have the test at the airport but I don’t see this feasible for cruises )

Everyone is required to purchase supplemental Covid insurance from Aruban govt which will pay for your stay in quarantine. 

Of course Cruise Lines would have to tweak to fit their unique details, but it would allow cruising without vaccines. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, fizzy said:

We also obey the guidelines and don't "insist" on doing non essential things for now.

We do the same. And so do our friends and relatives. It’s possible to have backyard gatherings maintaining distancing. It’s possible to do outdoor dining. We do outdoor activities. We can visit my elderly Mom. 

We love the beach but don’t go if the groups can’t maintain the recommended distance. Fortunately for us the beaches are capped at 50% admittance. During a heatwave this means you have to arrive by 9:00 am or be closed out. We just stay home. We have a lovely back yard fortunately. 

Curbside pick up is the best best thing to come out of this Covid disaster and I hope it continues indefinitely. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Got2Cruise said:

One possible solution to the insurance issue is that the cruiselines follow same sort of protocol as Aruba. 

Everyone must have a negative Covid test within 72 hours of arrival.( Some may have the test at the airport but I don’t see this feasible for cruises )

Everyone is required to purchase supplemental Covid insurance from Aruban govt which will pay for your stay in quarantine. 

Of course Cruise Lines would have to tweak to fit their unique details, but it would allow cruising without vaccines. 

The issue about testing prior to the cruise port sounds good but, as has been discussed here before, is fraught with problems.  Someone could have a test on Monday for instance.  Right now it take days to get results but let's say that you have your results immediately (with an accurate instant test - similar to what is developed in Israel).  You go to the airport, get on a plane, disembark at an airport to change planes - get on a new flight - arrive at the destination and go to the hotel.  Then you go out for a meal - take a bus to the ship the next day.  I cannot imagine how many opportunities there were enroute to the port to be near an infected person.  

Even if you wear a mask, one has to be ultra careful about what they touch and not to touch their face (when the mask is off  or even if the mask is on and your nose has an itch and you have to scratch it).  

They need a test that a can tell if you have been exposed to the virus.  Maybe they have it already but I haven't heard about it.  

I could not tell from your post whether Aruba's insurance is only for a quarantine prior to being allowed in Aruba or if it for people that have been exposed and might be sick.

Edited by Travelcat2

We have quick response COVID 19 tests available in the US - for example, just in the last 10 days I had two tests done with responses back in 15 minutes with the Abbott ID NOW COVID-19 assay test.  Right now I believe these tests are being used in hospitals and other point of care locations.  There is, of course, high demand for these.

What would be lovely, if you can say that, would be some sort of accurate quick response test along the lines of the daily diabetes finger ***** test, or maybe the saliva test UC Berkeley is testing.  Use before you leave home, use on arrival at your hotel or cruise ship, maybe even just use daily if it were priced well.

ETA - LOL, I guess I should have said finger STICK test.

Edited by greykitty
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, greykitty said:

ETA - LOL, I guess I should have said finger STICK test.

I guess you can't get much past the CC algorithms...  LOL!

Regarding the quick test, yes, I can envision that as an option for both guests and crew once cruising resumes.

• Haha 1

There is serology testing for COVID antibodies, but it seems that data is in flux on some of the tests, as well as what antibody presence may actually mean and for how long.  Well, it is a novel virus.

At one point a lot of blood donation places were also testing for COVID antibodies - not sure that's still happening or not.  I believe LifeSource does do the antibody testing currently.

Oh, I agree that this could be a deal-breaker for so many.  I can squint and see where they came up with the idea of age cohorts, and it's hard to argue against the idea that some demographics in general still appear to be at far more at risk than others. But COVID spares no age group totally, from what I've read.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

Not going to work for families. Kids go on one shore excursion, Mom and Dad or grandparents on another? This idea needs a big reset!

When did children start going on excursions without their parents????  As mentioned, with the exception of a few summer cruises, there are few if any children on Regent and when there is, the Mariner’s Club (onboard the ships) have activities for them.  Children may be the lowest problem for Regent but are definitely an issue for non-luxury cruise lines.

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

When did children start going on excursions without their parents????

Never, probably. That was my point. While children are rare on Regent strict enforcement of this proposed rule will make children, and their parents, nonexistent. Bigger problem on some other lines for sure, but still an issue on Regent and other high end lines. 

4 minutes ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

Never, probably. That was my point. While children are rare on Regent strict enforcement of this proposed rule will make children, and their parents, nonexistent. Bigger problem on some other lines for sure, but still an issue on Regent and other high end lines. 

Agree. Some just need to give their 2 cents even when the answer is nonsensical.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

Could you expound on your theory?  Specifically, if Regent's Mariner's Club follows guidelines, would that solve the problem?  Why would children and their parents be nonexistent?  

OTOH, perhaps Regent will require parents to monitor their children and be with them 24/7.  Depending upon the age, children need to be able to follow protocols without someone telling them to (meaning that older children can likely follow protocols but younger children would not).  I'm thinking specifically about elevators that should be reserved for passengers that have difficulty with stairs, not touching anything and then touching their mouths or nose, etc.  Some parents feel that it is the responsibility of the crew to watch their children but this is obviously not true.  When I think back to some of the behaviors I've seen with un-supervised children, it is scary!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Could you expound on your theory?

Sure.

We traveled on a Mediterranean cruise a few years ago. Not on Regent admittedly. Our son was 18. We were in our 40s. We all wanted to see the sites, such as the Pyramids. No way was our son NOT going to the pyramids and no way were we going to let him go bouncing around Egypt without us. Similar on another cruise in the Baltic with our son and now daughter in law. Separate excursions in some ports, sure, I guess but St. Petersburg would’ve have been maybe, just barely, acceptable. The point in traveling together was to have shared experiences, not separate ones. 

The kids club was a non-factor. 

Now replace us in the above with grandparents which happens in some cruises, and the age difference is even greater. 

I hope that clarifies it for you. 

The topic of elevators would certainly be problematic. Who on earth would be assigned to determine whether someone should be able to use the elevators? Would the person traveling with the scooter user and not disabled have to run up or downstairs to meet up with their companion?   Would there be elevator hogs just as there are chair hogs? It will just be an "is what it is" situation at best. We would not enjoy being made to feel that we should only use the stairs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

Sure.

We traveled on a Mediterranean cruise a few years ago. Not on Regent admittedly. Our son was 18. We were in our 40s. We all wanted to see the sites, such as the Pyramids. No way was our son NOT going to the pyramids and no way were we going to let him go bouncing around Egypt without us. Similar on another cruise in the Baltic with our son and now daughter in law. Separate excursions in some ports, sure, I guess but St. Petersburg would’ve have been maybe, just barely, acceptable. The point in traveling together was to have shared experiences, not separate ones. 

The kids club was a non-factor. 

Now replace us in the above with grandparents which happens in some cruises, and the age difference is even greater. 

I hope that clarifies it for you. 

It sort of clarifies your point but mine is a bit different.  Perhaps we should identify what age group(s) we are discussing.  Obviously, 18 year olds are considered adults for almost everything (except drinking).  They are not the “children” that I am referring to.  

First, let’s break it down a bit.  There are teenagers (13-17) and children 12 and under.  Even without a pandemic, Regent cruisers tend to frown upon children bomb diving into the pool, running down the hallways and playing in the elevator.  This age group does well in the Mariner’s Club.  However, if parents want to take children on Regent when they are not running Mariner’s Club, they likely should not be wandering around the ship on their own.  If parents decide to take children on a Regent ship during the pandemic, it behooves them to keep special track of them (just as they must do at home right now).  

Teenagers can be great or can be disruptive (just as on land).  The difficulty with teenagers is that is literally nothing for them to do - especially if they are the only teenagers onboard.  They certainly are old enough to follow protocols and have minimal supervision.  

I guess that my point is that parents need to be even more attentive to insure that their children (and teenagers) do not do something that put themselves at risk for getting Covid.  

Speaking for myself, I would not take children on Regent during a pandemic (and only would take them on Regent if Mariners Club was active. ). They would have a much better time if they were camping (for instance) in an area where they could run around and have fun — not in an enclosed area or around people they do not know.

Does Regent announce in advance which segments will have the Mariners Club?  Would I find that in the cruise description?  Or do they wait and see if there are enough children to support it, and then decide to have it on that segment?

1 hour ago, SusieQft said:

Does Regent announce in advance which segments will have the Mariners Club?  Would I find that in the cruise description?  Or do they wait and see if there are enough children to support it, and then decide to have it on that segment?

Look under “Special Offers” on RSSC.COM. There is a section on savings for kids. The cruises listed there will offer a Mariners Club.

Dave

Edited by DaveFr
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

You all should check your insurance policies and see if they cover a cruise line going under. If they do, well then there isn't a lot to worry about is there?

Already done, my policy covers bankruptcy by cruise line; however, I have about $10K of FCC from a cancelled cruise on which I no longer have insurance; I do not believe that my insurance policy covers that FCC as it is transferable thus I will be out that money if line goes bankrupt.  That is a small percentage of the total cost of the cruise (and even of what I have paid so far).

Marc

• Like 2