NCL/RCL team to develop reopening plans for CDC

5 minutes ago, greykitty said:

Thanks!  I've read about some of the longer cruises (especially the world cruises), the 'old hands' got more than a tad bored with repetition.  But, after Costa, I would guess just has to be done.  And thank goodness for all of the crew who, I understand, on any reputable line drill tirelessly to react well in emergency.

I've thought with enough drill/repetition, if something terrifying happened, people might still be able to cope just through muscle memory.  Or, so we were always told during our office building emergency drills after 9/11.  I always hope I'd at least not totally freeze and be able to follow directions.  

As far as the crew is concerned we all hope if the worst happens it is just second nature for them. One of the fun activities on our WC was a crew practice life boat drill in the pool for the passengers to watch!

• Like 1

I always hope that when the crew drills take place that we are off of the ship.  The noise from blasts and consistent announcements are annoying (but this is necessary).  Thankfully, Regent normally has very few announcements that go through the loudspeakers.  

4 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I used "muster meeting" as a possible alternative to muster.  Regent uses LV, P7, and sometimes Chartreuse in addition to the Constellation Theater.  This is the case on all ships (except Navigator that CWN explained above..  These venues are where passengers are checked off of the list.  The difference is when you go outside.  On Mariner, Voyager and Navigator, you go outside (if the captain decides that it is okay to do so - dependent upon weather, etc.). Explorer and Splendor musters are shorter since you don't have to go outside.

It is really helpful to know the ships so that certain things can be envisioned in terms of how they will be able to make the protocol changes..  The way that the ships were 3 years ago (especially LV) is completely different than it is now and Explorer is so different (Splendor as well) is so different than even Regent passengers take a day or so to get acclimated to the layout.  . Note:  I'm not speaking of Navigator as I have not been on her since the refurbishment and will not be on her in the future.   

Thanks - I figured it was a difference in terminology, since, as you said, Regent adheres to SOLAS.  As I read the FAQ, I think passengers will still go to their muster meeting/station after completing the electronic material review on their phones or suite/cabin TVs to be checked in by crew, but theoretically it'll be a more steady stream over several hours and not a crush of people all at one time. 

Which does sound a whole lot better, even if COVID went away tomorrow.

As I've been researching cruise vacations, I've come to admire the crew and their total responsibilities more and more.  When I think of the cross training to enable all the crew to react in emergency, to safeguard the passengers, where outside help may be hours or more away,  it's amazing.  Just thinking of crowd management alone is sobering, let alone search & rescue and helping passengers get into life boats if necessary.  

@cwn, I think it's great you took time to watch one of those drills - I bet that team appreciated their skills being 'seen' by their passengers. 

23 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I used "muster meeting" as a possible alternative to muster.  Regent uses LV, P7, and sometimes Chartreuse in addition to the Constellation Theater.  This is the case on all ships (except Navigator that CWN explained above..  These venues are where passengers are checked off of the list.  The difference is when you go outside.  On Mariner, Voyager and Navigator, you go outside (if the captain decides that it is okay to do so - dependent upon weather, etc.). Explorer and Splendor musters are shorter since you don't have to go outside.

FYI - Last year on Voyager, our muster station was in Horizon lounge and we did not have to go outside.  This was in Athens and weather was perfect that day.  

Also on Explorer last year, our muster was in Pacific Rim.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Snore42 said:

FYI - Last year on Voyager, our muster station was in Horizon lounge and we did not have to go outside.  This was in Athens and weather was perfect that day.  

Also on Explorer last year, our muster was in Pacific Rim.  

Not sure how I forgot about PR - my favorite restaurant on Explorer.  Now that you. mention it, we did muster in PR twice on Explorer.  Good to know that Voyager uses the Horizon Lounge.  As has been mentioned, it is up to the Captain whether or not you go outside.  You can usually hear a groan  from passengers if it is mentioned that you have to go outside.  This is yet another reason why I love Explorer where you never have to go outside.

Regarding Muster Stations and "Boat Drills".  Upon reflection, recall a host of same over the past 25+ years cruising. 

The best, and most-relevant, have been aboard Cunard.  These are taken seriously.  Contrast those to what we have experienced aboard Regent, or Silversea, or----- (other 5+ Lines). 

Who cares about whether that Muster Station is at an alternative restaurant venue; The Theater; the Coffee Connection.  The key is how closely passengers (newly-arrived) consider importance of this mandated activity.  Without exception--Regent Staff presented instructions in a serious manner.  As to the recipients in the audience--it probably depended as to whether any of them actually experienced a real-life, NO DRILL situation.

We have.  That is where muscle memory and recall of instructions kicks-in.  (From perspective of 28 years' Army background--kind-of important.)  Our experience was related, in more detail, about five years ago in another Thread now lost in time. 

Short summary.  South Atlantic aboard Cunard's "Victoria" on/about 2012 on a cruise from Miami to Europe.  0015H. Klaxon blast lasting 25 seconds which shook us from slumber.   Which, of course, was the point.  Announcement from the Bridge:  "This is no drill; Repeat, this is no drill."   And so-on.  

Four days previously, all passengers had gone through a pre-departure "Drill".  Our particular group assembled in a designated spot in the Main Theater's balcony.  After general instructions, were split-up into 20-person segments.  Stood-up; lined-up. Faced the exit, with each person attached to the one in front by extending a hand onto that individuals shoulder.  Personal contact.  A Security Officer then led our group out to the assigned Lifeboat.  It was emphasized that we were a group, with responsibility to the person either in front, or behind, to maintain contact until reaching the boat.   A bonding experience. 

That is how Cunard did the Drill.  Fortunately, aboard Victoria, we never had to leave our Suite.  The next 20 minutes were stressful while awaiting further instructions.  In the interim--double layer of clothing; life jackets on; medications on-person; but remain in Suite.  DO NOT go into hallways.  [Oh, of course, we cleaned out the safe putting all that stuff on our persons.] 

Turned-out that there was a Fire Alarm in a critical portion of the ship.  It took some time to determine that it was, in fact, a false alarm. 

So--our very-British Captain came on the Speaker to announce basically that all was well; and that Ship's Crew could "Stand Down and return to normal duties."  For emphasis, the Captain repeated:  "I say again to Ship's Crew:  Stand Down."   

Would expect nothing less from the 'Brits.  Calm and correct.  Next-day:  Spoke to our Steward inquiring where he was very early-on that day.   Response:  "As assigned, in the hallway outside your Cabin awaiting instructions to move passengers to assigned muster stations."  He had been with Cunard for 15 years.  This was the first time an Alarm had been the real thing. 

Just-saying.  Wife and I have paid very, very close attention to every Drill.  Let us hope we have the opportunity to Drill-again in the next year. 

GOARMY!

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

The NCLH/RCL task group and other similar bodies are reported to be focussed on developing protocols to satisfy the CDC and other regulatory authorities.

The authorities are starting from the assumption that all cruise ships are extremely high risk environments for the spread of the covid virus.

IMO, it would be very useful for CLIA and the cruise companies to fund some scientific research & modelling  to come up with an accurate risk assessment.

I was interested to hear yesterday that trains are not as bad as I previously assumed and that well designed & maintained A/C is also beneficial, by introducing fresh air & expelling stale air,  rather than the widely held assumption that it is a conduit for spreading the virus.

Virus transmission on trains (I believe there is also a similar German study)

A/C (UK HSE)

Ventilation (EU)

A scientific risk assessment would allow cruise ship protocols to be properly focussed, would help to reassure potential customers, provide encouragement to ports to re-open; and even might start to counter some of the negative press experienced by the cruise industry this year.

The cruise companies are very much on the back foot and IMO need to become more proactive and vocal if they are to survive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with you that a risk assessment is something which should be carried out by the companies, to include all aspects e.g. flights, transport, ship and trips off. The rationale behind each aspect of the assessment to be provided. 

Following a company wide risk assessment it would then be up to each individual to carry out their own risk assessment. All of which may be considered in the light of each jurisdictions advice on foreign travel and of course travel insurance companies. 

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

The article below states that it is very possible that the AstraZeneca vaccine will likely be available in the U.K. by early 2021. It states that the company has already begun the manufacture of the doses. This sounds quite promising.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/astrazeneca-vaccine-most-likely-to-roll-out-in-the-uk-early-next-year-2020-09-07?mod=mw_latestnews

I think more likely cruise lines will begin to sail when they have procedures in place for using a five minute, $5.00/test COVID test that can be used before and during cruises.  Waiting for a critical mass of people to have two doses of a vaccine will take much longer.  This is just my opinion.

• Like 2

Tom, I disagree.  Even without legal liability, the negative reputation hit to the pharmaceutical companies from distributing an unsafe vaccine would be enormous.  As to the efficacy, the 50% rate has been talked about for a long time and is true with any vaccine that is designed to work on a virus that continuously mutates.  

At least two of the vaccines are in Phase III trials which include at least 30,000 volunteers each.  I would hope that the results of those Phase III trials will be the basis for any vaccine release.

Just my two cents; I did NOT stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night (I am stuck at home).

Marc

PS I was born in 1957 so I have heard Thalidomide stories all my life and am very glad my mother never took it.

• Like 6

I think the pharma companies are trying to distance themselves a bit from those seeking to politicize any quick, 'unsafe' pre-US election release. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/9-vaccine-makers-sign-safety-pledge-in-race-for-covid-19-vaccine/ar-BB18OWsH

I'll get the vaccine once my doctor advises it - from this article, I would be in Phase 1B, I think.  

https://bgr.com/2020/09/01/coronavirus-vaccine-plan-when-can-i-get-a-shot/

Edited by greykitty
  • Like 1

Agree - this isn't an issue attributable to any one person or political party or even country. I think that, sooner or later, a choice will be made between lives and economy. The young people are already deciding that their lives and their economy are more important than yours. The longer this goes on, the more people will agree. People will not stay home and wear masks forever...especially when they do not fear Covid. Are you going to try and keep the population locked in their homes?  This is, of course, opinion.

Edited by Pcardad
  • Like 2

The statement about pausing the trial points out that people get sick all the time.  They just want to see if there is any reason to believe it was associated to the vaccine trial.  And, as pointed out, some people in the trial will die though maybe/probably/hopefully not from the vaccine.

• Like 1

They will certify the vaccine if it provides immunity (possibly temporary) to at least 50% of the people. This vaccine is not going to save hundreds of thousands of people from dying from Covid. It is the first step on a very long path.....and the end result simply may be living it.

• Like 2