Bowling Alley Cabins

MistyRo76

We are scheduled to sail this October 19th to Key West and Cozumel (girls trip!). We fully expect this sailing to get cancelled and with Carnival canceling everything through the end of September, we will probably rebook to next year even if Carnival doesn't cancel our sailing. We just don't want to be on one of the first handful of cruises after sailing resumes. 

I've started looking at options for next year. Our current cruise is on the Conquest, which would be a new ship for us. We've been to Key West/Cozumel tons of times and always enjoy ourselves in these ports. But we are open to other itineraries as well. Right now there are three of us sharing a Suite, but it's very possible that one of my friends may decide to not cruise after all of the COVID stuff. I'm kind of planning for this to just be two of us once we are finally able to sail. Which has me intrigued by these bowling alley balcony cabins! I've been able to find a couple YouTube video on the cruise ship deck plans site and these look like great options! The balcony space can't be beat for the price! But how does the cabin space compare to a regular balcony. The layout is different - does that make it feel more crowded? Just looking for some first hand experience to help make the decision. 

The ships we are looking at would be the Conquest, Liberty or Sunrise. 

Conquest would still be Key West/Cozumel

Liberty/Sunrise would both be Half Moon Cay/Nassau - Sunrise is spring only, then it transitions to longer cruises. Sunrise is Thurs-Mon dates. The others are Mon-Fri dates. 

We haven't sailed on any of these ships. Sunrise is intriguing since it just came out of refurb and has alot of the newer options such as Cucina del Capitano, Bonsai Sushi, Lucky Bowl, Waterworks, Sports Square, Red Frog Pub etc. I know there have been complaints about the passenger ratio/crowding/lines since the refurb. But I don't think that would bother us since it's such as short cruise and our time onboard will be more limited. But Conquest and Liberty would be great too as I've sailed sister ships and really enjoyed them. As far as ports, Nassau is my least favorite, but it's been a while since I've been there, so I wouldn't mind going back. And Half Moon Cay makes up for the Nassau port in my mind! And Key West/Cozumel is always a fave! 

Any other feedback on these three ships would be great! 

We love the bowling alley balconies and book them whenever we can. We had one on the Conquest. Check out our Conquest review which  is in my signature. The main difference is that you lose the couch, but you gain a second window. Your bed will face the windows so you can lay in bed and look out to sea! 😎

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

We love the bowling alley balconies and book them whenever we can. We had one on the Conquest. Check out our Conquest review which  is in my signature. The main difference is that you lose the couch, but you gain a second window. Your bed will face the windows so you can lay in bed and look out to sea! 😎

Thanks! I didn't dawn on me when I saw the YouTube video that there wasn't a couch. But with all that balcony space, I don't think we'd miss it! I just started reading your Sunrise review yesterday since we are considering that ship. And I'm pretty sure I've read your Conquest one, but now that we are looking to possibly sail on the ship, I'll go back for a refresher....esp. to check out that cabin! I always enjoy your reviews immensely! 

17 minutes ago, ober134 said:

After many cruises, this is the first I've heard about this type of cabin. Are these on all ships? I'm gonna look in to this asap!

I've heard of them....but my last cruise was on the Paradise, which doesn't have them. And the two prior to that, we were cruising with our daughter and these cabins don't accommodate three people. So now may be my chance to snag one! They are usually found at the very aft of the ship adjacent to the Aft Wrap/Premium Vista cabins. 

We've had one twice.  On the Miracle and Legend.  They are on decks 6, 7, and 8 of Spirit class ships I believe.  Some are double occupancy, but some are triple/quad!  We have sailed in 6232 on both the above ships.  When I saw amazing, that's what they are!  We had 2 lounge chairs, 2 regular chairs, and 2 tables.  Easily accommodated the 4 of us and another 3 people we were traveling with.  Afternoon naps on the balcony are the best!  

2 minutes ago, ugagal07 said:

We've had one twice.  On the Miracle and Legend.  They are on decks 6, 7, and 8 of Spirit class ships I believe.  Some are double occupancy, but some are triple/quad!  We have sailed in 6232 on both the above ships.  When I saw amazing, that's what they are!  We had 2 lounge chairs, 2 regular chairs, and 2 tables.  Easily accommodated the 4 of us and another 3 people we were traveling with.  Afternoon naps on the balcony are the best!  

Amazing sounds like an apt description! Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll have to keep in mind that these cabins on the Spirit class ships may accommodate more than two passengers for next time we sail as a family. I've not had the chance to sail a Spirit class ship yet, but it's been on my cruising bucket list for a long time! 

The spirit class have the true " bowling alley " triple length extended balconies. Rooms 6232 (4 person), 7258 and 8232 are two person rooms. Also there are three that are handicap designated and they are 6234, 7260, and 8234( all 2 person capacity rooms). Here is 6232 and 6234 opened up on the Legend for Alaska.

20190627_122412.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 2:25 PM, n6uqqq said:

The spirit class have the true " bowling alley " triple length extended balconies. Rooms 6232 (4 person), 7258 and 8232 are two person rooms. Also there are three that are handicap designated and they are 6234, 7260, and 8234( all 2 person capacity rooms). Here is 6232 and 6234 opened up on the Legend for Alaska.

20190627_122412.jpg

Thanks, great pic

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2020 at 3:25 PM, n6uqqq said:

20190627_122412.jpg

Do you have interior pictures for 6234? How different is the handicap cabins from the regular ones?

23 minutes ago, Laurab23 said:

Do you have interior pictures for 6234? How different is the handicap cabins from the regular ones?

I don't have pictures but have included a link here. The room is laid out differently and there is no couch. Shower is built into the bathroom without any steps. here is link below. My aunt and uncle liked the room.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/stateroom-details.php?ship=Carnival-Legend&cabin=6234

On 7/10/2020 at 2:25 PM, n6uqqq said:

20190627_122412.jpg

Whoa I thought that was the lanai for a second there.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Saint Greg said:

That was a bucket list cruise for my mom, aunt, and uncle. I booked it a year plus in advance so I could tie the two triple length balconies together. It was truly a one in a lifetime experience and Alaska is so beautiful. And I just happen to love the spirit class ships because they are less crowded.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

That was a bucket list cruise for my mom, aunt, and uncle. I booked it a year plus in advance so I could tie the two triple length balconies together. It was truly a one in a lifetime experience and Alaska is so beautiful. And I just happen to love the spirit class ships because they are less crowded.

great thinking!

Especially for an AK cruise

26 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

On 7/10/2020 at 3:25 PM, n6uqqq said:

20190627_122412.jpg

FYI, one cruise about five years ago we had cabins together just like the picture and the steward opened the adjoining doors.  Two years later, had the exact cabins again and the steward said opening the adjoining door wasn't allowed.  It's still an awesome balcony for one cabin but with the adjoining door open it's mah-velous!

45 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

FYI, one cruise about five years ago we had cabins together just like the picture and the steward opened the adjoining doors.  Two years later, had the exact cabins again and the steward said opening the adjoining door wasn't allowed.  It's still an awesome balcony for one cabin but with the adjoining door open it's mah-velous!

With the Spirit class ships they only open up so many balconies  because they only have a limited number of the clamps to keep the doors open. So if you want balconies opened on spirit class ships ( Spirit, Legend, Pride,  Miracle) you need to make guest services your first order of business upon boarding. You will need a person from each room present to make the request.

4 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

I don't have pictures but have included a link here. The room is laid out differently and there is no couch. Shower is built into the bathroom without any steps. here is link below. My aunt and uncle liked the room.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/stateroom-details.php?ship=Carnival-Legend&cabin=6234

No couch would be a deal breaker for us

4 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

Thank you.

Laura

We had a "bowling alley" on the Miracle a few years back.  We got a last minute upsell from a "French Window" cabin.  The balcony was a really good sized one.  But the cabin was really great.  It was more like a "large hotel room".  I remember at the time, I said that if I ever went on a world cruise, this would be perfect.  There were "extras" that we didn't have in any cabin before that or since that.  My memory is rather foggy...but I'd grab one of these again if I could.

17 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

Was the handicap cabin any larger or just a different layout?

Laura