Carnival-brand cruises restart

psygist

Roberto256; I think Casofilia was joking.   The Presidential Election is Nov 3rd;  so our current President is hoping the virus is over so he can get re-elected;  but this is not a political board so enough said about that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

Where is everybody?  

My guess is the conversation got political, so the board mods deleted all of them after 7/13.

I find this thread pretty fascinating, and I'm glad I'm all booked for 2021 and into 2022.  I'll just sit tight and wait to see what Princes will do.  We are among those that won't cruise unless we have had a vaccine shot.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pcur said:

My guess is the conversation got political, so the board mods deleted all of them after 7/13.

I find this thread pretty fascinating, and I'm glad I'm all booked for 2021 and into 2022.  I'll just sit tight and wait to see what Princes will do.  We are among those that won't cruise unless we have had a vaccine shot.  

My cruise agent, whose 25+ years of being a top seller for the large cruise lines, feels certain there won’t be any cruises until there is a widespread vaccine. And then that’s assuming foreign ports have tamed the COVID-19 beast and allow cruise ships to call on their ports.

As much as I love to travel and cruise, I’m afraid there will be no cruises until next summer (2021), at the earliest. I just booked for January 2022, hoping I’ll be vaccinated and can cruise mask-less by then. 

On 7/12/2020 at 8:27 AM, robsaw said:

Frankly, I think the industry is dreaming.

I think the industry knows exactly what it is doing: treading water and trying to put an optimistic face on what it knows is a dire situation. It's those who think they will be cruising in the not-too-distant future who are dreaming (and swallowing the Kool-Aid).

Edited by latserrof

Perhaps there will be a lot of "cruises to nowhere" (with a stop at Ensenada or a port in the Caribbean) in the first half of 2021.  The cruise we have booked  for March 2021 has 18 sea days.  I can see it being modified to include Ensenada with no debarking, and they give us a refund and FCC for the rest of the ports we are missing.  We'd go in a heartbeat.

From what I read this morning there are now 3 companies that have vaccines in late stages of trials.  

We will see.  A 125% FCC is OK, but the itinerary is not being repeated for late 2021 or Spring 2022.  That's a disappointment.

24 minutes ago, latserrof said:

I think the industry knows exactly what it is doing: treading water and trying to put an optimistic face on what it knows is a dire situation. It's those who think they will be cruising in the not-too-distant future who are dreaming (and swallowing the Kool-Aid).

True to an extent. I do think the executives understand their own optimistic ideas because they are the type of people that generally look at all the risks and opportunities but the marketing people are the type that are the "sellers" of this world and only look at the potential upside.

16 minutes ago, pcur said:

Perhaps there will be a lot of "cruises to nowhere". ...

Until the US gets its infection rate down substantially AND there is a vaccine - I can't see any cruises out of US ports, at least on any ship over a few hundred passengers or less.

16 hours ago, robsaw said:

Until the US gets its infection rate down substantially AND there is a vaccine - I can't see any cruises out of US ports, at least on any ship over a few hundred passengers or less.

A ship in Alaska with 37 passengers was cancelled when one of the passengers had a positive test report come back after the cruise had started.

On 7/12/2020 at 7:17 AM, Roberto256 said:

I actually think this is rather clever.

To maximize passage revenue:

Don't sell inside cabins at all.   Eliminate move-over and complementary upgrades.

Adjust pricing to achieve 50% 'occupancy'.

You do lose the onboard revenue from the people who would have been in the 'cheap seats'.

True, but they would be working on a positive balance sheet to carry them through until they can start selling the "cheap seats" and that's important right now.

On 7/11/2020 at 3:58 PM, casofilia said:

If the cruise lines have a greater than 50% passenger list when a 50% passenger limit is imposed then the only just way of deciding who travels is on the "First come, First served" basis.

I would be most annoyed if a cruise I booked in August 2019 for August 2021 had a limit of 50% and I was bumped because I had booked an Inside cabin.

AMEN!  Just thinking the same thing.  I guess we shall see.  So frustrating for sure.

On 7/11/2020 at 11:15 AM, waltd said:

Many people have booked for 2021 and later but will only keep the booking if some sort of vaccine  has been offered.   No vaccine no cruise and there will be many cancellations before final payment.  I question if the cruise lines will start up even by Feb.   Until the USA  gets Covid 19 numbers back down no ship will be sailing out of the USA.   

I totally agree with you. If there’s no vaccine the cruise lines will be lucky to fill a Third of the cabin.

Tony