World Cruise Staff move to the Zaandam

41 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Holland America please move all the World Cruise staff that was on the Amsterdam to the Zaandam for the Grand Voyages. PLEASE.

I wonder if the Mensink's will move..

Philip Stolte posted on his FB posting today  that he needs everyone to write to the new HAL President asking for the Amsterdam crew that was on the World Cruise 2020 to be transferred to the Zaandam. He listed Henk, Christel, Presty, Ronald, Shiv and Tina plus the dining room crew.

It is sad enough that we lost the Amsterdam, but it wouldn’t be a World Cruise without the crew! They make it feel like we are coming home!

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Storylady said:

Philip Stolte posted on his FB posting today  that he needs everyone to write to the new HAL President asking for the Amsterdam crew that was on the World Cruise 2020 to be transferred to the Zaandam. He listed Henk, Christel, Presty, Ronald, Shiv and Tina plus the dining room crew.

It is sad enough that we lost the Amsterdam, but it wouldn’t be a World Cruise without the crew! They make it feel like we are coming home!

Plus the Twinkle and Station band..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hflors said:

Zaandam doesn't have any lanai cabins.  What about the customers who would like to have them on a world cruise???

Other guests that do not book those lanai cabins might be delighted.  Fewer "reserved deck chairs" and more deck chairs for everyone else.  

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, Storylady said:

Along with Presty, I would add Agus who is also an Assistant Maitre d', I believe.  

3 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

You are correct. Please spread the word.

Twinkle?  Assistant Beverage Manager?  I know I have met her and I think she has "bounced" around, depending on the ship, between Assistant Beverage Manager and Beverage Manager if this is the same woman whom I have met.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Along with Presty, I would add Agus who is also an Assistant Maitre d', I believe.  

I believe Philip was talking about Agus when he said Gus. I would also mention Josephine, Piya, Miko, my steward Heru, Steward Tama, Stewart Anam, YumYum Girl Faya and my ex-Prinsendam Steward Waya ( he was on the upper level of the main Dining Room). Also, we would like Wine Stewards Theresa, Russell, Angel and barista Jarrie.

Edited by Storylady

11 minutes ago, Storylady said:

I believe Philip was talking about Agus when he said Gus.

I thought he was speaking about the new President on HAL whose first name is Gus.  

Several other names, Storylady, that you have mentioned that bring fond memories of them and their service:  Waya and Angel in particular.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I thought he was speaking about the new President on HAL whose first name is Gus.  

Several other names, Storylady, that you have mentioned that bring fond memories of them and their service:  Waya and Angel in particular.  

Love Waya. Wanted him for our steward once I discovered he was on the Amsterdam. The dining room stewards were so good that I had quite a few favorites. Angel was the one who posted those wonderful videos. She is a Facebook friend as is Waya.

I agree the staff on the Amsterdam WC 2020 was exceptional , but how is this moving the crew over and replacing the Zaandam crew fair to the Zaandam crew????

I know Philip has a self interest for his job. But please think hard about the lives you impact with replacing the crew.  If the Ryndam was ready to sail maybe the impact might not be as great as the Zaandam crew could go there .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lazy Lakes said:

I agree the staff on the Amsterdam WC 2020 was exceptional , but how is this moving the crew over and replacing the Zaandam crew fair to the Zaandam crew????

I know Philip has a self interest for his job. But please think hard about the lives you impact with replacing the crew.  If the Ryndam was ready to sail maybe the impact might not be as great as the Zaandam crew could go there .

Your post is very thoughtful and I appreciate it in recognizing concern for the Zaandam's crew.  

All of the crew, as I am certain you are aware, have contracts that are not year round contracts.  Vacation breaks occur.  Many, maybe not all, but many of world cruise crew have breaks between one world cruise and another.  If one watch the arrival in a major port of arrival for any ship, almost always there will be a group of crew waiting to embark and there will be a group of crew departing.  It's normal.  

The desire to have specific previous world  crew aboard the Zaandam is not meant to displace those who already serve this fine ship.  I think our posts are meant to reflect our hopes that those with whom we have some type of an "attachment" will continue to serve on the Zaandam when she enters world cruise service. 

This pandemic has most certainly upended any normal plans for crew rotations for any ships on any cruise lines. 

How many of the former crew will even be willing to go to sea again?  There are simply too many questions at too many levels that no one has any answers.   

There will be several crew members who will lose their ships in the coming months. It will be interesting to see how the folks in Seattle move them around. Four ships losing valuable crew members? What about the rest of the fleet?

Jim

I feel for the crew.  I remember as the Prinsendam was ending it’s sailings.

The crew were like family.  Many had been on the their ship of choice for years.  While they were all re-assigned, they were leaving their ‘family’ and definitely going on a ship where things would be very different  in so many ways including service wise.

The crew were in tears as we left.  I don’t think it was so much we leaving but knowing that the days were numbered and time was running out.

Sadly some of the crew on the smaller ships will be going through the same thing.  Perchance some may even go with the ship to the new owners.  Tough times for them all for sure.

I feel for them all ❤️ 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Storylady said:

Love Waya. Wanted him for our steward once I discovered he was on the Amsterdam. The dining room stewards were so good that I had quite a few favorites. Angel was the one who posted those wonderful videos. She is a Facebook friend as is Waya.

And let us not forget my Facebook friend  Heru Susandhoko, aka "Sweet and Low," whom Philip has brought with him every time he changed ships.....

3 hours ago, DeeDee Groff said:

And let us not forget my Facebook friend  Heru Susandhoko, aka "Sweet and Low," whom Philip has brought with him every time he changed ships.....

I included Heru in another posting. I am sure Philip will also want Heru and Anam, “aka “Sweet and Low”.

We have sailed a couple of times on the Amsterdam and feel that they have the best crew on HAL.  I always thought it was due to the ship sailing the World Cruise and using the best crew members in the fleet.