Covid-19 Pre-Cruise Testing ?

Calgon1

When the cruise lines resume operations, will we be required to provide the cruise line the results of a recent (within 14 days) Covid-19 negative test; and/or proof of vaccination (if one becomes available)?

Thinking that this would allow each sailing to provide local authorities with information to facilitate port clearances.

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything on this, from RCI, or any of the cruise corporations. Assuming that what one does, the others will follow . . .

Edited by Calgon1

No one knows, to many factors at this point to know what will be needed, from Country guidelines to CDC and all other agencies putting there two cents in.  It will be comprehensive overall, with many unhappy I feel with all the new precautions that will be put in place.  Can already see it with the basic ones here with people having to wear face masks all the time out.   Even with all the talk of a vaccine I dont expect much for another year or more.    

With the length of time it takes to get the results, you could get a negative result today, get on a plane tomorrow and be exposed when you get off.  Not sure they even know how long it takes to turn positive after exposure, and still have no symptoms.  EM

• Like 1

I really don't think pre-anything testing is the answer. You can be exposed and infected without testing positive. I'm my workplaces liaison with the health department for COVID issues. If someone is exposed to a positive person they are required to quarantine for 14 days. However, the health department does not recommend getting tested unless/until they are symptomatic. The reason being is that you can easily be infected and carrying the virus but they have found it to be unusual to test positive without symptoms. The reason this matters is directly related to all of this "negative before you travel" policies. We had an employee who was exposed. She did go and get a COVID test prior to having symptoms. It was negative. Her supervisor cleared her to come back to work since she had a "negative" test. Five days after returning to work she became symptomatic and went back and her test was positive. The negative test created a false illusion that she was not infected and in the meantime she was at work spreading it. There's no easy answer here, but a pre-boarding COVID test doesn't seem much more useful than the temperature checks. You can board with the virus and still have a negative test before you board.

• Like 3

Currently, in Alaska - for all Travelers entering Alaska - there are a couple of options, from the State of Alaska site:

Posted on June 12, 2020

Travelers into Alaska from another state or country must  must fill out the Mandatory Travel Declaration Form and choose from one of the following options:

1.    Pre-Travel Test: If you choose the “pre-travel test” option, you do not need results within the 72 hours (or 5 days), you just need to have been tested in that window.  If you don’t have results when you land, you will need to quarantine until you receive your results and email them to traveler@alaska.gov or fax them to (907) 269-7952.

a.    Tested within 72 hours of departure: provide your negative test results and minimize interactions until you receive a second negative test within 7-14 days of arrival.
If you don’t have your results yet, you will have to quarantine until you receive them.

b.    Tested within 5 days of departure: test again immediately upon arrival.  If you don’t have your first results yet, you will have to quarantine until you receive them. Once you receive negative results from the pre-travel test, minimize interactions until you receive an additional (third) negative test within 7-14 days of arrival.

2.    No Pre-Travel Test:

a.    Quarantine for 14 days, or

b.   Test immediately upon arrival utilizing the voucher you received at your port of entry at your nearest testing site using the testing locator and quarantine until you receive negative results. Minimize interactions until you receive a second negative test within 7-14 days of arrival.

Oops -  hit submit too soon & then wandered off...

Alaskans who travel outside the state for trips of five days or less

Do not need to test in Alaska before leaving; and

Do not need to pre-test in the other state before returning home. 

They do need to quarantine upon arrival for 14 days or until a negative test result is received in Alaska (to be followed by a second test 7-14 days after arrival).

My greatest concern is the travel itself - the airports, planes & transportation on both ends...
So - even if you test negative - you may be infected w/ C-19, during your travels to your destination.
And, of course - you may not test positive for 14+ days after exposure.

On a side note - I know of one testing facility in ANC which performs a "Rapid Test" - you make an appointment & should have results back w/in 4 hours of testing.  Mostly utilized for essential workers, who must travel to remote areas.

My travel agent says that Celebrity has scrapped the idea of requiring a physician's health release prior to taking a cruise, for any reason.  That idea was on the table a few months ago but has been eliminated for now.  The requirement for a Covid test within a specific number of days is up in the air.  Much will depend on when cruising will resume, recommendations of the CDC, requirements of countries visited, and state of the technology at that time.  So the simple answer is, no one knows at this time.

22 hours ago, Von & John said:

My greatest concern is the travel itself - the airports, planes & transportation on both ends...
So - even if you test negative - you may be infected w/ C-19, during your travels to your destination.
And, of course - you may not test positive for 14+ days after exposure.

I am going to disagree with this:  "And, of course - you may not test positive for 14+ days after exposure.."  My daughter is a doctor.  You will test positive as soon as you are infected with C-19.  You may not show symptoms for up to 14 days after infection or you may not show symptoms at all if you are asymptomatic.

I do agree that the test is merely a point in time.  So you could be infected 5 minutes after you took a test that came back negative.  Travel after testing negative is a huge potential for becoming infected before boarding the ship.

I had a test 10 days ago that came back negative.  That does not mean I am negative today.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

What about the situation this week where 10 Aida crew members tested negative before leaving their home countries but came up positive upon reaching their ship  in Germany?  

It's a good point. But they didn't teleport to the dock. They also tested negative on arrival in Germany, but they had been in Germany for a time between leaving home and going to the ship. Do we know how long that interval was?

5 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

What about the situation this week where 10 Aida crew members tested negative before leaving their home countries but came up positive upon reaching their ship  in Germany?  

Were infected on the flight to the ship or were infected while staying in Germany, perhaps at a local bar?  Too many unknowns to make a determination.

Edited by El Crucero

21 hours ago, El Crucero said:

Were infected on the flight to the ship or were infected while staying in Germany, perhaps at a local bar?  Too many unknowns to make a determination.

That's why a requirement that passengers be tested shortly before sailing (presumably just before they leave home) is useless.

• Like 1