Best ship for Alaska

IDKaren

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I generally look for a ship that has an indoor pool ... not all of them do, such as the Crown class and Royal Princess.  Next, I have no concerns about the size of the ship.  

I have rarely felt less crowded than when on Royal, and embarkation is a snap with Medallions.  Crown Class, while nearly as large as Royal, has added and larger public spaces, so I haven't felt crowded on that class either.  So size isn't a factor for me either.  Lack of a wraparound promenade is the primary drawback to Royal for any itinerary, in my opinion, and especially for Alaska where it is fun to see the beauty from all angles.  Smaller balconies is the next drawback, but I get around that by studying deck plans and booking the balcony I prefer.

3 minutes ago, cvpends said:

I have rarely felt less crowded than when on Royal, and embarkation is a snap with Medallions.  Crown Class, while nearly as large as Royal, has added and larger public spaces, so I haven't felt crowded on that class either.  So size isn't a factor for me either.  Lack of a wraparound promenade is the primary drawback to Royal for any itinerary, in my opinion, and especially for Alaska where it is fun to see the beauty from all angles.  Smaller balconies is the next drawback, but I get around that by studying deck plans and booking the balcony I prefer.

I'm not one that minds the lack of the promenade deck but, I can see your point about not having one in Alaska.  BTW, those midship balconies in the middle with the bump out section are phenomenal.  I book the ones on deck eight, either the regular balcony or the deluxe balcony and save a lot of money and get a usable balcony.  I do think the Royal is the prettiest ship on which I've sailed but, that lack of an indoor pool might be it's big drawback for me.  I tend to just hang out on my balcony a lot while sailing in Alaska when there is no indoor pool.  I might miss some of the scenery and wildlife that happens to be on the other side of the ship, but, there is still no place I'd rather be on a day sailing through the inside passage or at Glacier Bay.   I just tell the room steward we won't be needing service that day and then order room service!  

• Like 1

Well, this is an interesting thread.  I just booked a back to back on the Royal out of Vancouver for August 2021.  Why doesn't this ship cruise the inside passage?  Either way?  Also, can you explain the customs procedures for a Vancouver embarked cruise? My only other Alaska cruise embarked at Whittier on the Coral.  I considered booking the Coral, but really like the Royal Class.  I have an extended angled balcony mini suite.  While we enjoyed the Coral, I found the food in the buffet to be sub par.  The Coral was showing its age back then, also.  I like the many food options on the Royal.  I don't care about the indoor pool.  No other ships were on my preferred list.  Any other differences on a back to back on Royal compared to Coral?  Thanks!  

On 7/26/2020 at 3:43 PM, RoperDK said:

Well, this is an interesting thread.  I just booked a back to back on the Royal out of Vancouver for August 2021.  Why doesn't this ship cruise the inside passage?  Either way?  Also, can you explain the customs procedures for a Vancouver embarked cruise? My only other Alaska cruise embarked at Whittier on the Coral.  I considered booking the Coral, but really like the Royal Class.  I have an extended angled balcony mini suite.  While we enjoyed the Coral, I found the food in the buffet to be sub par.  The Coral was showing its age back then, also.  I like the many food options on the Royal.  I don't care about the indoor pool.  No other ships were on my preferred list.  Any other differences on a back to back on Royal compared to Coral?  Thanks!  

The Royal is too darn big to be safe leaving Vancouver 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some, most or possibly all, of the Grand Class ships have an open deck on Lido forward. That's a great place for glacier day, since it's likely to be uncrowded and you can easily go from one side to the other as the ship turns. We were on the Ruby a couple of years back and really enjoyed glacier day on this little out of the way deck.

Edited by Sea Hag
clarification
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have been on the Golden (RIP) 3X to Alaska and the Crown 1X which all

left from Seattle.

We love this class of ships because of Skywalker's- a fabulous viewing area.

We were on the Coral once for a full PC transit and wanted this ship so we could

go through the old/ original locks. However, we did not care for the ship much

for a few reasons. The buffet in the front of the ship was difficult to see out of as

the windows were dirty and foggy (lots of humidity). The food was average. There

are no aft balconies, however, there are viewing decks in their place.

Our first cruise and first trip to Alaska was on the Celebrity Galaxy which was RT

from Vancouver, BC. We loved departing from there and it was not too difficult as

we lived in Oregon at the time.

• Thanks 1

On 7/26/2020 at 3:43 PM, RoperDK said:

Also, can you explain the customs procedures for a Vancouver embarked cruise?

You clear Canadian customs when you arrive at the Airport in Vancouver. You clear US customs prior to boarding the ship at Canada Place.

If you want to spend  extra stay at the Pan Pacific right at the dock, the bellman will take your luggage and the next time you see it is in your stateroom. There are a few hotels across the street that offer the same service but its nice to eat breakfast, go upstairs have them get your bags and take the elevator down and walk to the end of the pier and get on board.

Lots of info here

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/23-canada-alaskapacific-coastal/

and here

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/315-west-coast-departures/

And you can eat outside sometimes with beautiful views

20190512_205233.thumb.jpg.80eee676822d17126b5758346217a1a0.jpg

A-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2020 at 1:10 PM, Ombud said:

I booked the Ruby August 9th bc the girls and I want to go Ziplining (Skagway & Ketchikan) and prefer to leave from my home city. Also D734. Why are people ruling the Ruby out?

On 7/23/2020 at 8:33 AM, Ombud said:

I've only got $534 deposit on my August 2021 Alaska cruise. I'm thinking anything before 3rd quarter is wishful thinking. 

We’ll be on the August 9th sailing on the Ruby out of SF.  Easy drive for us.  Now our fingers are crossed that everything is okay regarding Covid-19.  Sure don’t want to be quarantined on a ship! 😉 

On 7/23/2020 at 9:50 AM, cruising deacon said:

Do you really think think there will be Alaska cruises in 2021?  Alaska is my favorite destination for cruises, but right now I don't think it is worth my time to plan an Alaska cruise in 2021 (much less the disappointment later after you are all hyped up).

Alaska for us was a big trip to plan, since we have to fly across country and was planned way in advance.  After being cancelled for this past May, I no longer have the time or energy to do all that planning for it to be a no-go.  I guess if your driving to port it's different, as we will only be planning cruises that we can drive to port on the east coast for next year.  The ships normally fill up so fast with the desired cabins for Alaska also, however now the demand might be smaller so supply might be more plentiful.  Possibly could strike a good deal next year, enjoy it for us, it will be many years before we attempt Alaska again, lol.

On 7/28/2020 at 2:11 PM, AlanF65 said:

You clear Canadian customs when you arrive at the Airport in Vancouver. You clear US customs prior to boarding the ship at Canada Place.

If you want to spend  extra stay at the Pan Pacific right at the dock, the bellman will take your luggage and the next time you see it is in your stateroom. There are a few hotels across the street that offer the same service but its nice to eat breakfast, go upstairs have them get your bags and take the elevator down and walk to the end of the pier and get on board.

Lots of info here

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/23-canada-alaskapacific-coastal/

and here

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/315-west-coast-departures/

And you can eat outside sometimes with beautiful views

20190512_205233.thumb.jpg.80eee676822d17126b5758346217a1a0.jpg

A-

Do you need to book the cruise package at this hotel to have your bags take to the ship?

25 minutes ago, alliecruiser said:

Do you need to book the cruise package at this hotel to have your bags take to the ship?

I didn't in 2019, when I arrived and checked in the front desk informed me of a number to call (by 11 am) and gave me a piece of paper with the extension.

You put your luggage tags on just like you would for a regular check-in. The bellman comes up checks the tags, checks your id and off they go. I watched them unload the ship and it was forklift into the ship I was on so no "dropping" in the ocean so I gave the bellman my carry on. I just had a small pack with meds and id and camera.

It really is a relaxing way to get on the ship (you still have to go through the lines and customs). You can either take the elevator down and stay inside or go out and walk along the pier until you need to go inside.

A-

I realize that the ship I would love to see in Alaska is not even up for consideration...but I would really like to do another cruise on the Pacific Princess.  Just did a Panama Canal transit earlier this year (old locks) just before all the chaos began.  This (in my opinion) would be the perfect size ship to see Alaska.  Small to where you could get REALLY close to most all the glaciers and into inlets and passageways that the larger ships will never be able to do.  Of course, there's nowhere near the number of PAYING CUSTOMERS on the Pacific so it is unlikely that Princess will do any itineraries with her to Alaska.  Too bad...would be nice!

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I realize that the ship I would love to see in Alaska is not even up for consideration...but I would really like to do another cruise on the Pacific Princess.  Just did a Panama Canal transit earlier this year (old locks) just before all the chaos began.  This (in my opinion) would be the perfect size ship to see Alaska.  Small to where you could get REALLY close to most all the glaciers and into inlets and passageways that the larger ships will never be able to do.  Of course, there's nowhere near the number of PAYING CUSTOMERS on the Pacific so it is unlikely that Princess will do any itineraries with her to Alaska.  Too bad...would be nice!

We were booked on a back to back  in Alaska this summer so they do sometimes do that itinerary. Of course those cruises were canceled. We have rebooked on the Coral , another favorite ship of ours for 2021