Best ship for Alaska

IDKaren

Thinking of booking a trip next summer to Alaska. I see there are 3-4 ships going 

there for Princess Cruises. Wondering which might be the best one in your opinion? Thanks all..and fingers crossed!

7 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

Choices include: Star, Coral, Ruby, Emerald, Majestic, Royal, Sapphire.

I would take the Coral or Star. But, itinerary would matter.

SUn is going to Alaska next summer if you want to do a 14-day cruise. It leaves out of LA> I heave heard smaller ships are better. I seems to have a nice deck also so it sounds like a good option.

19 minutes ago, voljeep said:

well, you can rule out the Royal and now Majestic ... as far as cruisers on this board are concerned ...

Not all cruisers agree.  I love the Royal Class ships, and would highly recommend them for nearly any itinerary.

I booked the Ruby August 9th bc the girls and I want to go Ziplining (Skagway & Ketchikan) and prefer to leave from my home city. Also D734. Why are people ruling the Ruby out?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DUCHESSRN said:

We booked Ruby also as we can drive to port ....I love International Cafe so Coral would be out as it is not in a Prime Location on Coral ...love Royal ,love Sapphire .

Also a fan of Royal & Sapphire!

Screenshot_20200722-142049_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4bf958b121a04a473912f2c297269a64.jpg

I guess I've missed these on other ships. What with cell phones, medallion, & MedallionNet I'm surprised valuable footage is still dedicated to internet cafes. Seems they would have moved them away from the plaza

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

We were booked on Royal for Alaska this August. From tonnes of research here and elsewhere,  the drawbacks for Royal are:

Departing Vancouver, it does not cruise the inside passage to get to the first Alaskan port. This means the first portion of the cruise is slightly less scenic and the waters are less sheltered.

The standard balcony rooms are tiny. Potentially an issue if you have more than 2 in cabin.

It doesn't have a wrap around deck like Coral.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, KreinKrunker said:

My opinion is, in order, Coral, Sun, Grand Class, Royal Class.  I do like the royal class, but not for this itinerary.

Assuming you are lumping Ruby and Emerald in Grand Class, one big difference between those ships an Star is that they don't have covered pools as Star does.  This could be a consideration.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geoherb said:

The Sun would be my last choice. I enjoyed my Island Princess cruises to Alaska last summer, so the Coral would top the list. 

That is the ship I am going on next year. Just curious what you dont like about it?

16 hours ago, bubbapuck said:

Why is this? Is it because of size?

Royal class ships can not go through the inside passage from Vancouver, must sail around the west side of Vancouver Island.

No 360 degree promenade deck for viewing.

Limited viewing areas from the upper decks with no forward viewing locations.

Small balconies, most are 9' x 4' make it less comfortable from your own cabin. There are a few cabins with larger balconies. Believe, not certain about this, stern facing balconies still have the soot issue.

3,600 passengers vs 3,100 on Ruby & Emerald, 2,600 on Sapphire & Star, 2,000 on Coral.

I'm not a fan of all the activity in the Piazza on the Royal Class ships. Royal Class ships are forced to use the Piazza for all kinds of activities and music because of the lack of other suitable venues. I'm also not a fan of Princess Live, very uncomfortable, poorly designed. The original thought was to produce TV shows not something I'm looking for a a cruise. No real dancing area for ballroom dancing. Ballroom dancers have to dance in the Piazza. The Vista Lounge has poorly designed seating with barrel chairs too large for the space provided and fixed tables which are difficult to get around. I have to say Royal Class ships have great buffet areas, and cabin bathrooms are slightly larger.

• Like 2

I generally look for a ship that has an indoor pool ... not all of them do, such as the Crown class and Royal Princess.  Next, I have no concerns about the size of the ship.  The key factors that come into play are the embarkation port and the itinerary.  Glacier Bay sailings always top my list.  I would forgo the indoor pool for an itinerary that includes GB.  I also look for a sailing that goes through the inside passage during the morning and day time hours ... not the middle of the night.  Seattle is a much better embarkation port in my opinion.  I've just experienced too many chaotic embarkations in Vancouver to recommend it to anyone for embarkation.  Disembarkation there is usually much better.  It is a beautiful port, so don't get me wrong, but, if your first port of call is in the US, and it usually is, you have to go through CBP after you've gone through security and those lines can be hours long.  San Francisco is always another option.  The newish Pier 27 is pretty much a dream, especially compared to the older Pier 35 cruise ship pier.  

One more important note is if you can afford a balcony, Alaska is the place where it is most valuable, IMO.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruising deacon said:

Do you really think think there will be Alaska cruises in 2021?  Alaska is my favorite destination for cruises, but right now I don't think it is worth my time to plan an Alaska cruise in 2021 (much less the disappointment later after you are all hyped up).

I am optimistic. It is a year away and they seem to be progressing well to a vaccine. My vacation to Hawaii was canclled this year. I need to prep so I must plan as if I am going. If it doesnt happen, there is nothing I can do. Gotta keep hope.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruising deacon said:

Do you really think think there will be Alaska cruises in 2021?  Alaska is my favorite destination for cruises, but right now I don't think it is worth my time to plan an Alaska cruise in 2021 (much less the disappointment later after you are all hyped up).

I dunno.....but with a $200 refundable deposit it gives me something to think about with all the ugliness was in this world right now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruising deacon said:

DH and I really enjoy Alaska; 27 cruises so far.  Yes, our 2020 14-day May and our 7-day August cruises were cancelled.  However, we have hope for 2021 as we rebooked the same cruises for the same months.  At this point we only have FCC invested in our reservations.  We remain optimistic.