Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

I know from Civitavecchia Train station to Trastevere Train station there is a 1 hour train ride, that is direct.  Problematic would be getting to the train station as I heard the taxis do not want to drive the short distance. I think it is a 30 minute walk.

6 minutes ago, Seaworthy71 said:

I know from Civitavecchia Train station to Trastevere Train station there is a 1 hour train ride, that is direct.  Problematic would be getting to the train station as I heard the taxis do not want to drive the short distance. I think it is a 30 minute walk.

Forget the train and all the angst… there is no luggage assistance at both stations. Finding seats together a securing luggage are other problems.  Contact Rome Cabs.  Other CC. Member will advise alternative road transports.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Seaworthy71 said:

Thank you Port Royal fo the suggestion.  

Good plan 😉

Just think…. Fare from Port to Station €30 (stand and deliver fares) - Train Fare for 2 pax €30 - Taxi from station to Hotel €30 - Total €90
Luggage loading to and off train is difficult even for able bodied as steep steps and high. Train corridors are narrow and seats with sight of luggage are minimal.  Train air-con poor.  Then dragging suitcases along both platforms etc., etc..  So much angst for saving €70
Don’t forget to arrange the early arrival time at one’s hotel.  They usually have secure luggage storage prior to official check-in, leaving one free to explore or take a nice lunch.  Or the hotel will allow an early check-in..  Again early explore or lunch.  It’s good to talk to the Concierge prior to arrival.

Asking @cruisemom42 for a recommendation for lunch and dinner close to one’s hotel.

One thing is a must… Una Passeggiata Serale - Hand holding is obligatory 

Enjoy Rome and it will enjoy you

Edited by PORT ROYAL

7 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Good plan 😉

Just think…. Fare from Port to Station €30 (stand and deliver fares) - Train Fare for 2 pax €30 - Taxi from station to Hotel €30 - Total €90
Luggage loading to and off train is difficult even for able bodied as steep steps and high. Train corridors are narrow and seats with sight of luggage are minimal.  Train air-con poor.  Then dragging suitcases along both platforms etc., etc..  So much angst for saving €70
Don’t forget to arrange the early arrival time at one’s hotel.  They usually have secure luggage storage prior to official check-in, leaving one free to explore or take a nice lunch.  Or the hotel will allow an early check-in..  Again early explore or lunch.  It’s good to talk to the Concierge prior to arrival.

Asking @cruisemom42 for a recommendation for lunch and dinner close to one’s hotel.

One thing is a must… Una Passeggiata Serale - Hand holding is obligatory 

Enjoy Rome and it will enjoy you

When I was in Rome last fall, I took the train from Rome to Civi.  It cost $12 (1 pax) , the seat I got was great and comfortable, and while getting a rolling bag over the gap was necessary, it was nothing I couldn't handle.  There was a shuttle bus from the Civi station to the cruise port for another dollar or two (IIRC).  There were probably a dozen or so cruise passengers on the train/shuttle bus that I was on.

Now I stayed at a hotel in the Termini district of Rome, so I was able to walk several blocks and didn't need a cab in Rome.  But as a solo traveler, taking the train was a major savings over a cab or limo from Rome to Civi.  I will be back in Italy this November and may do the same thing again, although I'll be with two other people, so we may do a different type of transfer.

57 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

When I was in Rome last fall, I took the train from Rome to Civi.  It cost $12 (1 pax) , the seat I got was great and comfortable, and while getting a rolling bag over the gap was necessary, it was nothing I couldn't handle.

When you arrived in Civitavecchia did you have to walk down stairs, walk under the tracks, then walk up stairs to get to the terminal?

1 minute ago, -Lew- said:

When you arrived in Civitavecchia did you have to walk down stairs, walk under the tracks, then walk up stairs to get to the terminal?

Frankly, I don't totally remember.  I think we were able to just get off the train and walk out to the parking lot where the shuttle was, but I could be wrong.

23 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

Frankly, I don't totally remember.  I think we were able to just get off the train and walk out to the parking lot where the shuttle was, but I could be wrong.

I believe you would have no trouble recalling if you had to do it.  We did and it was brutal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Forget the train and all the angst… there is no luggage assistance at both stations. Finding seats together a securing luggage are other problems.  Contact Rome Cabs.  Other CC. Member will advise alternative road transports.

Does Rome Cabs also pick up at Civi to take passengers to their hotels in Rome?

• Like 1

We're staying in Rome overnight between a cruise and the flight home.  I'm looking for a good hotel where we can spend the night and maybe do some window shopping the day of arrival.  We've been to Rome before, so while not out of the question, sightseeing isn't the goal.  Just some decompression after a port intensive trip.  This will be the 11th of September, a Monday.

Thanks,

Susan and Jeff

1 hour ago, DoubleEntry said:

We're staying in Rome overnight between a cruise and the flight home.  I'm looking for a good hotel where we can spend the night and maybe do some window shopping the day of arrival.  We've been to Rome before, so while not out of the question, sightseeing isn't the goal.  Just some decompression after a port intensive trip.  This will be the 11th of September, a Monday.

Thanks,

Susan and Jeff

For a touch of “Retail Therapy”, consider a hotel close to or on Via Cola di Rienzo.  Sorry, but only have personal knowledge of La Rovere on business (company booking), so nothing to compare it with in the area.  A nice hotel, no frills, simple, clean with excellent service and a short walk from Via Cola.

2 hours ago, DoubleEntry said:

Thanks,

Susan and Jeff

What kind of window shopping do you want?

If you want to sample the best of Italian (and international) fashion, shoes, bags, jewelry, then I'd suggest looking around the Spanish Steps area, which is where the famous Via Condotti is located -- you'll find Gucci, Tod's, Versace, Zegna, Buccellati all here. 

If you're interested in antiques, the area just north of Piazza Navona boasts many mouth-watering shops (some with eye-watering prices), centered around Via dei Coronari.

The area around the Pantheon has a number of eclectic shops from wooden toys to hand-tinted antique prints, ceramics, etc. The area is also known for lavish tailored clerical garments and robes -- the kind of place that dresses a cardinal. Fun to window shop even if *you* might not be in the market...😉

Keep in mind that some smaller independent shops don't tend to open early on Mondays -- they might not show up until noon. (The big fashion stores will be open though.)

If there's something else you had in mind feel free to come back and clarify.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

I think my pal Port Royal may be painting the absolute worst-case scenario for the train. 😆  Nevertheless there's no denying it can be a bit of a hassle and not the easiest. However if you can schlep your luggage and are looking for frugal solutions, it's worth considering.

There are now shuttles at Civitavecchia that will take you direct to the train station from near where your ship docks, I believe the cost is something like 6 euros per person. (Previously you had to transfer from a free port shuttle to a 2 euro bus to reach the station, or get a taxi.). The train from Civi to Trastevere is 4,60 euro per person. In Trastevere, it will depend on where you're staying. If close to the station you could walk, but worst case scenario a taxi shouldn't cost more than 10-12 euros.

There is also an in-between option when it comes to cost. A shared shuttle can pick you up right outside ship terminal and deposit you directly in front of your hotel (assuming traffic is allowed, lol, Trastevere has some tight alleys!).  You can find a shared shuttle (usually 8 people max) for around 70-90 euro PER 1-2 people.  So if a couple, it's not a bad price for a fairly easy solution....  Several shuttles are mentioned often on this board.

Edited by cruisemom42

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

What kind of window shopping do you want?

If you want to sample the best of Italian (and international) fashion, shoes, bags, jewelry, then I'd suggest looking around the Spanish Steps area, which is where the famous Via Condotti is located -- you'll find Gucci, Tod's, Versace, Zegna, Buccellati all here. 

If you're interested in antiques, the area just north of Piazza Navona boasts many mouth-watering shops (some with eye-watering prices), centered around Via dei Coronari.

The area around the Pantheon has a number of eclectic shops from wooden toys to hand-tinted antique prints, ceramics, etc. The area is also known for lavish tailored clerical garments and robes -- the kind of place that dresses a cardinal. Fun to window shop even if *you* might not be in the market...😉

Keep in mind that some smaller independent shops don't tend to open early on Mondays -- they might not show up until noon. (The big fashion stores will be open though.)

If there's something else you had in mind feel free to come back and clarify.

Thanks for the ideas.  We were thinking of around the Spanish Steps area.  Thanks also for the transfer info in your next message.

Jeff

13 minutes ago, moonbee73 said:

Does anyone know if any of the Marriott of Hyatt hotels are centrally located in Rome, I have points I was hoping to use for 2 nights prior to our cruise

https://www.marriott.com/search/findHotels.mi?scid=e2032f6e-668f-4b5b-975a-d7095c7bcf68&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInaWtxZnS_wIVlrbtCh3sFAFHEAAYASAAEgJjBPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

20 minutes ago, moonbee73 said:

Does anyone know if any of the Marriott of Hyatt hotels are centrally located in Rome, I have points I was hoping to use for 2 nights prior to our cruise

The Pantheon Iconic Rome Hotel is a good candidate, location-wise.  It is located right behind the Pantheon.

Edited by mahdnc

@cruisemom42

Do you have any recommendations for a hotel in Civitavecchia for one night post cruise? 

Some cruise companions are planning a week in Rome post cruise and we're doing an excursion from Civitavecchia before I get back on the ship for a TA to FLL.  They're thinking of staying in Civitavecchia for the night before heading back to Rome.

This would be in early December, if that makes any difference.

Just now, DCThunder said:

@cruisemom42

Do you have any recommendations for a hotel in Civitavecchia for one night post cruise? 

Some cruise companions are planning a week in Rome post cruise and we're doing an excursion from Civitavecchia before I get back on the ship for a TA to FLL.  They're thinking of staying in Civitavecchia for the night before heading back to Rome.

This would be in early December, if that makes any difference.

Sorry, I can't personally recommend ANY hotels in Civitavecchia. I'm not a fan of the place. However @lisiamc has stayed in a place she likes and has posted about it on CC. Hopefully she will see this and will respond.

• Thanks 1

Just now, cruisemom42 said:

Sorry, I can't personally recommend ANY hotels in Civitavecchia. I'm not a fan of the place. However @lisiamc has stayed in a place she likes and has posted about it on CC. Hopefully she will see this and will respond.

Thank you for thinking of me!

We are fond of Casa Sul Mare, a B&B, and have stayed there several times. Out of all the places we’ve tried in Civitavecchia, (and we’ve tried four or five) it’s our favourite. It’s immaculately clean, family-run, and conveniently located across from the sea front. The rooms have sea views and nice little balconies. There is a lift, although like many Italian buildings, the lift is located up a short flight of steps. Loris, the host, is on hand to carry your cases up those few stairs, and he is happy to recommend a restaurant and make a booking for you if you’d like. His mum Rita makes delicious cappuccino to go with the very nice breakfast. There is a guest kitchen with snacks, a coffee machine that guests can use, a fridge full of soft drinks, filtered water, beer, and wine, (I think there might be a small charge for the beer and wine) and a sitting area where guests can chat while having a drink or a snack.

• Like 3