Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

On 8/12/2023 at 3:00 PM, LDL1220 said:

Thank you once again. I think I will book to put my mind at ease. I am worried (a worrier by nature 😭) that I will not have time to book transfers because my air is with the cruise line (60 days notice) and we are a party of 4.  I look forward to hearing about your stay. 

We spent 5 nights at Hotel Smeraldo last October.   We had a fabulous stay.  We booked with hotel directly and our rooms were great( small but welcome to Rome).  I highly recommend them and would stay here again.    If you need transfer from airport/to cruise port we used Rome Cabs - highly recommend them as well.  Have a fabulous trip.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, cruisefan123 said:

We spent 5 nights at Hotel Smeraldo last October.   We had a fabulous stay.  We booked with hotel directly and our rooms were great( small but welcome to Rome).  I highly recommend them and would stay here again.    If you need transfer from airport/to cruise port we used Rome Cabs - highly recommend them as well.  Have a fabulous trip.  

If I know nothing else, I know I will be using Rome Cabs. 😁

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LDL1220 said:

If I know nothing else, I know I will be using Rome Cabs. 😁

I too am booked at Hotel Smeraldo this October. Someone just posted on the other site that we’re not allowed to mention that they had a great stay there so that was another reassurance. 
We are using “Shared Shuttle” to get from FCO to the hotel and from hotel to cruise port. They are comparatively reasonable 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, LDL1220 said:

Thank you for your input. I will probably stay there because it will save me some but still pondering it over. 

We were very happy with the Lancelot when we stayed there pre-cruise in May of last year.

We booked it primarily for its proximity to the Colosseum, which was top of our must-do list. It's also close to the Monte area where there are plenty of restaurants at cheaper prices than the ones closest to the Colosseum.

We booked direct through their website and the owner and staff were very responsive and helpful. It's definitely better to book direct.

Depending on when you are there, there may be a dinner available in the restaurant. There will be a sign up at reception and you book with them. I can't remember how much it cost but it was very reasonable and house wine was included. It's a set menu at a set time and guests share tables, so a bit like traditional seating on the ship. We enjoyed it a lot and had a very pleasant evening in the company of a mum and daughter from Seattle and Philadelphia.

Edited by FionaMG
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

We were very happy with the Lancelot when we stayed there pre-cruise in May of last year.

We booked it primarily for its proximity to the Colosseum, which was top of our must-do list. It's also close to the Monte area where there are plenty of restaurants at cheaper prices than the ones closest to the Colosseum.

We booked direct through their website and the owner and staff were very responsive and helpful. It's definitely better to book direct.

Depending on when you are there, there may be a dinner available in the restaurant. There will be a sign up at reception and you book with them. I can't remember how much it cost but it was very reasonable and house wine was included. It's a set menu at a set time and guests share tables, so a bit like traditional seating on the ship. We enjoyed it a lot and had a very pleasant evening in the company of a mum and daughter from Seattle and Philadelphia.

Thank you so much for your reply. I just booked for the front end and back end of our trip. Any restaurant recommendations in the area? 

2 hours ago, LDL1220 said:

Thank you so much for your reply. I just booked for the front end and back end of our trip. Any restaurant recommendations in the area? 

My pleasure. ☺️

We were only there for 2 nights and on the second we did the hotel dinner, but on the first night we ate here: https://www.naumachiaroma.com/en-gb/home

It's only a couple of minutes walk. Turn left when you come out of the hotel and it's in the first street on your right. It's not fancy but the food was good and although we're not wine drinkers ourselves it looked like it had a very good selection of wine.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, FionaMG said:

My pleasure. ☺️

We were only there for 2 nights and on the second we did the hotel dinner, but on the first night we ate here: https://www.naumachiaroma.com/en-gb/home

It's only a couple of minutes walk. Turn left when you come out of the hotel and it's in the first street on your right. It's not fancy but the food was good and although we're not wine drinkers ourselves it looked like it had a very good selection of wine.

We are not fancy....anymore. I remember the days of old. Cruising and wearing gowns and tuxedos to dinner. Casual is exactly what we are looking for. ❤️

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Seaworthy71 said:

Sorry, I am not.  We are staying in Trastevere, if that is an option for You:  Relais Le Clarisse, on Via Cardinale a Trastevere Merry del Val 20, Rome.  

Thanks for the tip. I’ll check it out!🙂

On 7/11/2021 at 6:53 PM, nini said:

We enjoyed some fantastic gelato on our Food Tour. Our guide explained to us that not all gelato is created equally. He said to be aware if the gelato looks "pretty and fluffy", that it may not be the best quality, etc. This was 3 years ago, so I am not sure if I am quoting him correctly.

Maybe cruisemom42 can elaborate?

I think we all would be appreciative. (like for our next trip in 2022)

very true the thing about gelato's appearance 🙂

Was your Food Tour something you booked with the cruise line? or something you booked independently?

If so, would love a link...

I went to Rome before in what feels like centuries ago... we are sailing with my daughter first week of September, booked a couple of days in Rome pre cruise, more than anything because of her being an Italian Food fanatic, as to do a city properly we would book 5 days to a week (and probably need to go back many times still!!!), finding a food tour (one that someone has experienced before would be great!) would be the perfect thing for us!

Tried to change the hotel after reading some posts here....The one we booked a few months ago when we booked the cruise,  is in the Termini area because we were going to take the train to Civitavecchia.... but after high recommendation with very detailed info (thanks @PORT ROYAL !!!) and seeing many of you here also eco the quality of the service, we will book transfer with Roma Cabs.

After reading some of the posts here, I did try the Albergo del Senato, Santa Chiara and another one mentioned here....no vacancies for the 2 nights we will be in the city... I first tried in the hotel's websites, then went to Booking.com (we have booked other European cities with them) also no vacancies 😞

As we only will be there for a couple of nights, more than anything to have a rest from the flight as I have mobility issues and to eat, eat and eat a bit more..... I reckon I will keep the hotel booking 🙂

A friend off mine who travels regularly to Rome made a face when I told her the hotel location, need to research how much taxis would cost to get to city centre or maybe to a stop for one of those double decker buses tours, I would only be looking to change hotel if taxis are at a price that would make worth it paying for a more central hotel -

Anyone has an idea of prices?

@cruisemom42

My daughter grades cities we visit by the quality of their ice cream.... I'm sure she would be delighted to read about your Rome knowledge! (not sure if you have posted yet or not, I just realised there are over 20 pages after the post.... will try read through some more posts!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MrsPeel55 said:

very true the thing about gelato's appearance 🙂

Was your Food Tour something you booked with the cruise line? or something you booked independently?

If so, would love a link...

I went to Rome before in what feels like centuries ago... we are sailing with my daughter first week of September, booked a couple of days in Rome pre cruise, more than anything because of her being an Italian Food fanatic, as to do a city properly we would book 5 days to a week (and probably need to go back many times still!!!), finding a food tour (one that someone has experienced before would be great!) would be the perfect thing for us!

Tried to change the hotel after reading some posts here....The one we booked a few months ago when we booked the cruise,  is in the Termini area because we were going to take the train to Civitavecchia.... but after high recommendation with very detailed info (thanks @PORT ROYAL !!!) and seeing many of you here also eco the quality of the service, we will book transfer with Roma Cabs.

After reading some of the posts here, I did try the Albergo del Senato, Santa Chiara and another one mentioned here....no vacancies for the 2 nights we will be in the city... I first tried in the hotel's websites, then went to Booking.com (we have booked other European cities with them) also no vacancies 😞

As we only will be there for a couple of nights, more than anything to have a rest from the flight as I have mobility issues and to eat, eat and eat a bit more..... I reckon I will keep the hotel booking 🙂

A friend off mine who travels regularly to Rome made a face when I told her the hotel location, need to research how much taxis would cost to get to city centre or maybe to a stop for one of those double decker buses tours, I would only be looking to change hotel if taxis are at a price that would make worth it paying for a more central hotel -

Anyone has an idea of prices?

@cruisemom42

My daughter grades cities we visit by the quality of their ice cream.... I'm sure she would be delighted to read about your Rome knowledge! (not sure if you have posted yet or not, I just realised there are over 20 pages after the post.... will try read through some more posts!

Hi there, me again, sorry,

If the requirement for a Hotel to just rest and relax for a couple of days, then think about a place on the outskirts of Rome.

Have stayed at these on business.  Worth a look?
https://www.hotelcastelvecchio.com/hotelcastelvecchio/en/

http://antonellocolonna.it/resort-spa/

Maybe a slightly longer ride from Airport, but a shorter ride to CIVI.  For Roma Cabs it’ll be no problem.

Good luck….

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Hi there, me again, sorry,

If the requirement for a Hotel to just rest and relax for a couple of days, then think about a place on the outskirts of Rome.

Have stayed at these on business.  Worth a look?
https://www.hotelcastelvecchio.com/hotelcastelvecchio/en/

http://antonellocolonna.it/resort-spa/

Maybe a slightly longer ride from Airport, but a shorter ride to CIVI.  For Roma Cabs it’ll be no problem.

Good luck….

Oh my! never apologise to me!!!! you have been a wonderful source off info from day one!!!!!! I welcome all the recommendations you can give us, so, thanks again!!!! will have a look!

Need a little help with hotel/panning.  We disembark NCL Epic on December 1st, docking time is 6:00 am.  We would get off the boat as early as possible and plan to take the train to Rome.  We are planning a full day of site seeing with really just sleeping at our hotel, we will even leave in the morning before breakfast.  We would like to take the train to the airport as well.  We are a family of 4.  Does anyone have recommendations on where to stay.  We are looking for something economical, since we only plan on being there to sleep.  Close to the train stations would be great.  Easy walking distance to major sites, as this is our first time to Rome and want to get in as much as possible in the one day.

1 hour ago, crusin4fun2000 said:

Need a little help with hotel/panning.  We disembark NCL Epic on December 1st, docking time is 6:00 am.  We would get off the boat as early as possible and plan to take the train to Rome.  We are planning a full day of site seeing with really just sleeping at our hotel, we will even leave in the morning before breakfast.  We would like to take the train to the airport as well.  We are a family of 4.  Does anyone have recommendations on where to stay.  We are looking for something economical, since we only plan on being there to sleep.  Close to the train stations would be great.  Easy walking distance to major sites, as this is our first time to Rome and want to get in as much as possible in the one day.

Close to the train station doesn’t really equal close to the sites. However, Termini is also a bus, taxi and metro hub, so you CAN get around.

I don’t really have any great recommendations. Hotel UNA is very close to station with larger than average rooms. But part of the reason I’ve recommended them is their very good breakfast (American style).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Close to the train station doesn’t really equal close to the sites. However, Termini is also a bus, taxi and metro hub, so you CAN get around.

I don’t really have any great recommendations. Hotel UNA is very close to station with larger than average rooms. But part of the reason I’ve recommended them is their very good breakfast (American style).

Do you think it would be better to stay somewhere else, so that I am closer to the sites and then find away to get to the airport?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crusin4fun2000 said:

Do you think it would be better to stay somewhere else, so that I am closer to the sites and then find away to get to the airport?

It might be worth considering a private transfer to the airport from a central hotel. With 4 people, the express train to the airport will cost 14 euro per person, although if any of your family are under twelve they are free (1 per paying adult). If all four pay, the cost is 56 euros, while a private transfer from Rome to FCO for four runs around 65 euro.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

It might be worth considering a private transfer to the airport from a central hotel. With 4 people, the express train to the airport will cost 14 euro per person, although if any of your family are under twelve they are free (1 per paying adult). If all four pay, the cost is 56 euros, while a private transfer from Rome to FCO for four runs around 65 euro.

Thats a really good point private transfer would probably work best for us.  Is there a central hotel you recommend?

3 minutes ago, crusin4fun2000 said:

Thats a really good point private transfer would probably work best for us.  Is there a central hotel you recommend?

I have given a lot of recommendations throughout this thread. Budget friendly hotels in the center are a bit challenging but there are some — such as Hotel Navona, Hotel Smeraldo and others. Take a look and if you have questions about a specific option I’m happy to answer.

On 8/29/2023 at 10:03 AM, crusin4fun2000 said:

We always stay at the double tree in monti. 10 min walk to the colosseum, prob a 10 min walk from the train station too. not the old world charm you might get from some of the local hotels but very clean and a good breakfast too.  

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 2:24 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Thanks for all your help with our questions.  I booked Hotel Smeraldo cuz of your rec.

We don't have a way to the airport after our stay.  Guess I have the same question,

what would be the best way for us to return from hotelS to FCO on Nov. 3 ?

If we book Private transfer, could that be done thru the hotel?  Do they have shuttle?

1 minute ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Thanks for all your help with our questions.  I booked Hotel Smeraldo cuz of your rec.

We don't have a way to the airport after our stay.  Guess I have the same question,

what would be the best way for us to return from hotelS to FCO on Nov. 3 ?

If we book Private transfer, could that be done thru the hotel?  Do they have shuttle?

Hotels in Rome generally don't provide shuttle service to the airport. They usually will help arrange a private transfer for you. It's the easiest way and with four people probably worth the cost (although if the hotel arranges it, be aware it will probably cost a few euro more as they'll get their cut, lol). Otherwise you'd need to get a taxi (or two taxis) to a train station and then train to the airport.

If you want to try pricing a transfer on your own, you could try contacting a provider like romashuttle.com or the pricier Rome Cabs.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

If you want to try pricing a transfer on your own, you could try contacting a provider like romashuttle.com or the pricier Rome Cabs.

@cruisemom42...

This is the first I have heard of Roma Shuttle...a search here turns up no mention. I'm thinking you've used Roma Shuttle or you wouldn't have mentioned them.

We have used RomeCabs for years, but Roma Shuttle's rates got my attention.

@CalLuvsCrusingToo...

My recommendation would be to use a transfer service from Hotel Smerlado to FCO.  Roma Shuttle's rate would be €65 for four while the train would cost €56 total for 4 plus the cost of a taxi to Termini.  The shuttle would cost less in the end and is much more civilized.

I also suggest you forego having the hotel setup the transfer.  We're staying at Hotel Smeraldo in October and their quote for a transfer was much higher than self booking. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1